All Discussion of Sound Bug goes here.

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#1 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV USA

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:27

And there will be no discussion about anything except how to replicated, possible causes and possible workarounds of solutions.

We have acknowledged the bug and have stated we will try to find a fix. That is all that needs to be said. Due to bad behavior anything else will be deleted.

Jason

#2 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:18

Hey Jason - I've noted a variety of different error messages in my sound.log file while I've been testing over the last few days - most of the earlier ones were related to music sounds (as I posted in that other long thread), but the ones tonight were something else that I had not seen before.

Do you think it would be helpful at all for us to post samples of these error messages or maybe links to the log files themselves, or would that just be a waste?

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#3 Pierre2

Pierre2
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:29

This is just probably pure coincidence. Just spent a couple of hours playing quick missions in various locations on the channel map. Got the sound bug twice and on both occasions it was while using a skin that did not show up when selecting it. i.e. just showed a black blank.

First time I have had it for several days and I can't remember the circumstances when it happened before.

#4 =AH=_Sid

=AH=_Sid

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:00

Certainly not a cure, but I noticed tonight cycling backwards and forwards between "F1" (cockpit view) and "F2" (outside view) cycles through the various sound bugs symptoms.

It some times cures the problems for a few minutes with just one cycle; F1 - F2 - F1, other times it takes multiple goes to get all the sound back (but with each cycle the missing sound changes).

Only re-starting the game seems to totally re-set things, but this work around kept me going on a few sorties until I'd landed and was able to re-start the game.

Hope this helps.

Edit to Add: This was online, on the Flying Circus Server

I've tried all the different settings in the game launcher, get the same sound problem with each.

All the settings I've tried in ALchemy have made no difference to the sound or the sound bug (I'm guessing ALchemy has no effect ROF).

Had the sound bug kick in the other day with out even hitting 'Fly'. Entered the Flying Circus, got as far a choosing a plane then got called away to answer the phone while still in the hangar, when I came back the field was being vulched and the sound had gone strange (sounded like we had a stuka on the server).

(Win7 - 64bit, motherboard (ASRock X79 Extreme11) with a Creative Sound Core3D quad-core sound and voice processor chip built in to it.)

#5 BuddyWoof

BuddyWoof

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:12

Sound bug seems very random to me. I haven't figured out what events lead up to it. Maybe we should compare our sound settings to see if there is a common denominator?

I use SB X-fi gamer atest drivers with no alchemy in Windows 7 64 bit OS.

Attached Files

#6 Tiger27

Tiger27

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:34

I managed nearly 5 hours without the bug mainly on Fast Food then last night another hour or more on Flying Circus but as soon as someone jumped in a Felix it hit again.

The map then changed to one of the new ones, sorry cant remember the name but whenever the new map is running I get constant sound issues.

My sound is usually 64 and high network dl is 4mb upload 1mb changing the download to 4mb seemed to help hold of the appearance of the bug for a while depending on the map and plane set.

Currently running nvidia on board sound although I have tested with my old sb and the issue still occurred.

Goodluck with finding the issue, currently that is the only problem I have since the new map release.

III/JG11_Tiger

#7 Stick-95

Stick-95

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:04

I don't know enough about software coding to help out on that end but I am, and many in the community would be, willing to download and install anything that would help 777 to nail the bug down. Maybe a background process that captures ROF program activity and when affected by the sound bug, a key is pressed to send off the last several minutes of the file activity to you.

#8 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:07

A thing I have noticed: 75% of the time I get the sound bug, it begins when I try to shoot/cock the guns (any kind, except for the pilots personal firearm) Jason said they could not find a source, I am sure this has been noticed, but I thought I would mention it anyways.

+1 Yes, I get the sound bug symptoms usually right when or after I shoot my guns.

:geek:

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#9 TynMahn

TynMahn

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:06

I don't know enough about software coding to help out on that end but I am, and many in the community would be, willing to download and install anything that would help 777 to nail the bug down. Maybe a background process that captures ROF program activity and when affected by the sound bug, a key is pressed to send off the last several minutes of the file activity to you.

Yep, Not always, but a good majority of the time, it does in fact seem to start when the guns are cocked or fired.

#10 hawk805

hawk805

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:33

I noticed that when firing guns and pushing negative g's the guns cut out when the sound bug starts

#11 Winston60

Winston60
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:57

It's only related to time flown for me. Anytime between 60 and 90 minutes and the bug always occurs in both multiplayer and single player. Sometimes changing to a few outside views or viewing an enemy plane will bring it back for a bit, but it still continues to occur. The "stuka" siren is most loudly heard with my engine and gun sounds missing.

Exit the game and the problem goes away and then returns after another 60 to 90 minutes.

This is not directly related to ver. 1.029 for me. This has been happening continuously with the last 2 or 3 updates.

#12 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:16

Sound bug for me tonight in multiplayer, FC server, shortly after a map rotation. Was in the N28, and lost all engine sound when I throttled back. The trigger for the loss of sound seemed to be the audio transition from all cylinders firing to -1 cylinder.

Win7 64bit
i5 2500k @4ghz
Gigabyte HD 6870
8gb gskill ram
Z68 ASRock Pro3 Gen3 mb

#13 shotdown

shotdown

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:03

I managed nearly 5 hours without the bug mainly on Fast Food then last night another hour or more on Flying Circus but as soon as someone jumped in a Felix it hit again.

It does seem related to the Felix to me, the last time we had the "BUG" was when the HP 0-400 was introduced Ive no idea what the fix was for it then but I would guess the issue is something similar.
Jason you have stated that you do a lot with the sound and that you may be pushing it to far,when the "BUG" strikes and I lose gun sounds followed by the engine Im left with the creaking of the control surfaces in the airframe and what sounds like the engines crankshaft pushrods etc turning.
Engine and guns are the main sounds I need to be able to enjoy the game would it help and is it even possible for you to switch off a lot of the background sound until you find a fix ? :S!:

=AH=shotdown

#14 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:20

Seems different servers have different effects on the sound. Wargrounds and Flying Circus are worse than Syndicate by far. Then again, it's bad on syndicate using the new map near the water but still better than the 2 fore mentioned ones.

#15 SYN_Jedders

SYN_Jedders

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:48

Have often had the bug at the smae time as my pilot when flying 2 seaters. Often, again shortly after or during firing of guns. For it to effect 2 ppl simulataneously online is it possibly a sync issue?….

#16 ER_O_v._Kessler

ER_O_v._Kessler

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:06

My observations on Flying Circus shows, that the bug still is coming on maps with water and felixtowe , hansa and a few 2 seaters or bombers are in use..

Spandau.. What else ?? :icon_mad:

#17 SC-Sp00k

SC-Sp00k

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:09

I lose gun sounds followed by the engine Im left with the creaking of the control surfaces in the airframe and what sounds like the engines crankshaft pushrods etc turning.
Engine and guns are the main sounds I need to be able to enjoy the game would it help and is it even possible for you to switch off a lot of the background sound until you find a fix ? :S!:

=AH=shotdown

I get exactly this. I seem to get his with the sound bug a lot more in Flying Circus server. Don't seem to get it as much in War grounds.

Definitely always seems to rear its head when I enter a furball where 5+planes are involved in the immediate area. Sometimes sound re initiates when I move away from the area but comes back when I go back into a heavy trafficked piece of sky.

I tried to upload my ROF sound text file but was left hanging on the internet forever with no apparent upload occurring. Is there a limit on size? Sound_OLD is 17,877kb. Current Sound file is 56,010kb n size.

Sound bug is constant now. Every game.

Win7 64bit Svc pack 1
GeForce GTX 580
Direct X support 11.1
Intel® Core I7 CPU
12.0 GB Ram memory

#18 ER_O_v._Kessler

ER_O_v._Kessler

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:22

It does seem related to the Felix to me, the last time we had the "BUG" was when the HP 0-400 was introduced Ive no idea what the fix was for it then but I would guess the issue is something similar.
Jason you have stated that you do a lot with the sound and that you may be pushing it to far,when the "BUG" strikes and I lose gun sounds followed by the engine Im left with the creaking of the control surfaces in the airframe and what sounds like the engines crankshaft pushrods etc turning.

=AH=shotdown
my words, thnx :S!:

#19 SYN_DerHesse70

SYN_DerHesse70

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:50

My observation is:

- the bug often comes if many players are online (on servers with many players on a small map like flying circus lake for example)

- often the bug starts if i do a action that changes the sound in the game(fire MG, blip switch, change of the view)

- if the bug is present it gets poorer with the time. It feels that you loose sound after sound with the time. Sometimes i got absolutely no sound with the time. Nothing left.

- the bug is on all maps (not only with water)

- the bug is with all planes not only Felix

- till the update the bug comes not only in MP, it comes also in SP and in the replay mode of a recording.

- sometimes i go on a server and start with the sound bug. I left the server and go in the main menue of the game and still hear a sound like wind or something else. Or i can play 4 hours without any problem.

- my only fix is to end the game, wait some seconds and start again.

#20 iowa-1966

iowa-1966

Posted 07 January 2013 - 13:12

It is IMHO a poor decision, to make it impossible to play ROF without installing the latest " upgrade", the customer should have an option. How difficult would it be to have an accessible archive of previous versions.

#21 JG1Baron_J6

JG1Baron_J6

Posted 07 January 2013 - 13:30

I noticed that I lost sound when is more aircraft in short area together. Two or three planes in dogfight is ok, but if one of them has two engines - play reliably comes the sound, either partially or completely. I have the impression that fail of sound is initialized by the sound of five or more engines at the same time, if they are close together.

lZOFjj.jpg

RIKzxM.jpg

#22 shotdown

shotdown

Posted 07 January 2013 - 15:30

Your quote indeed Otto,my apologies for not giving you credit. :S!:

#23 Stick-95

Stick-95

Posted 07 January 2013 - 16:37

The sound bug seems to appear for me when I am doing one of, or a combination of, the following:

1. Using the Blip switch
2. Firing guns

Also, this seems to only appear after the first sortie or after a map rotation without existing. I fly in NW Wargrounds and The Syndicate. Have had it in both.

Bug usually starts with the not hearing the guns, then the engine sound goes and I hear the creaking noises. Sometimes if I use the blip switch again I get the sound back. The sound usually comes and goes from that point.

Once I get the bug I exit the server and game and come back in and all is good for the next sortie. A slight annoyance compared to not flying ROF at all.

#24 MPcdn

MPcdn

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:03

I get it when changing from inside to outside of the plane.

#25 terstein

terstein

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:24

No Channel map, no flying boat, no sound bug. I flew all night just on quick missions using the old maps and planes. I didn't have a single problem. Usually the bug hits with in a few minutes of play if I use the channel map or have a boat in the air(on any map). What is in common with those two new items? :geek:

#26 Tiger27

Tiger27

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:40

Actually I think that is my comment, I achieved the 5 hours bug free after changing my dl to 4mb, but as soon as a Felix spawned it all went belly up.

III/JG11_Tiger

#27 ER_O_v._Kessler

ER_O_v._Kessler

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:37

Actually I think that is my comment, I achieved the 5 hours bug free after changing my dl to 4mb, but as soon as a Felix spawned it all went belly up.

III/JG11_Tiger
+10 :S!: thats what i say since this bug exist…

#28 Happyhaddock

Happyhaddock
  • LocationCloud cuckoo land

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:22

I've not been following any of the threads about sound bugs as I'd never experienced any until last night, so this might not be the sound bug(s) in question….?

However, last night I was flying a few quick missions on the channel map and was getting random clicking noises I'd never heard before (a bit like a child playing with a light switch). It could be fine for five or ten minutes seemingly occur without any due cause, would some times disappear again without obvious cause a few seconds later or would sometimes go away if I changed to an external view.

Not a major problem or immersion killer, but a minor annoyance non the less.

#29 Bump

Bump
  • LocationColorado

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:51

Im no computer tech by any means. Im on fixed wireless internet, sometimes its works good in the mourning's when there is very little internet traffic in my area.

Maybe there was a discussion about this, but can it be something to do with master servers or internet connections.

two nights ago flying circus server was down so everyone piled into fast food server, me doing the same.
I was surprised, no sound bug higher FPS with over 20 folks and i flew for over two hours.

flying circus server is becoming unplayable for me, always sound bug even after rebooting it pops up again within 5 minutes.

Has anyone tried flying offline to see if sound bug pops up, stupid question i know, surely someone has. :roll:

#30 shotdown

shotdown

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:52

III/JG11_Tiger

Well thats my experience to whoever said it. :) The last time we had the bug was when the HP 0400 was introduced and as I remember from that as soon as anyone took to the air in one of those everyone got the bug it seems exactly the same with the Felix to me.We have had quite a few new single engined aircraft introduced since then with no problems,coincidence? I dont believe in them. :S!:

#31 ER_O_v._Kessler

ER_O_v._Kessler

Posted 08 January 2013 - 13:01

No Channel map, no flying boat, no sound bug. I flew all night just on quick missions using the old maps and planes. I didn't have a single problem. Usually the bug hits with in a few minutes of play if I use the channel map or have a boat in the air(on any map). What is in common with those two new items? :geek:

+5 :S!:

#32 WhoCares

WhoCares

Posted 08 January 2013 - 14:04

Has anyone tried flying offline to see if sound bug pops up, stupid question i know, surely someone has. :roll:
I have not once ventured to MP after I updated to 1.029. Yet I still have experienced the sound bug.
- Only on the channel map (never used the Felix on another map),
- with different planes
I made bombing trials against ships, level bombing in HP and Gotha and low attacks in different two-seaters.
I clearly remember the bug in the Gotha and the Bristol. However, I can't tell the circumstances when the bug triggered. But esp. for the Bristol I remember that the sound changed for each gun pass I made on against ships. But not always when run this test. E.g. yesterday I tried the Bristol again on the channel map against ships and I never noticed the sound bug.
Problem is, I don't know all the circumstances, e.g. whether I used the Felix before or not (yesterday clearly not and the bug did not trigger). But never were other planes in the air, just me, the ships and some other environmental targets…

Regarding the _sound_.log file, it went up to >400MB once while playing on the westfront map, several quick missions with many different planes (but no Felix), but no sound issues.
The only problem I see on other maps is the hang-up I reported in a different thread.

#33 Joker_BR

Joker_BR

Posted 08 January 2013 - 14:19

To the devs: sound bug seems to appear only on maps different than the original. I had it in the Fantasy Island and the Channel, but not a single time on the original.

#34 SYN_Haashashin

SYN_Haashashin

Posted 08 January 2013 - 16:02

I got the sound bug no matter which map is up. Channel map seems to get it faster, thats all. That said I only fly MP. Most of the times soundbug appears to me when I use the guns, blip the engine or dive too fast.
Lots of rude post around lately, thats worse than a bug, at least for me.

#35 von_Semmel

von_Semmel
  • LocationGermany / Munich

Posted 08 January 2013 - 17:56

III/JG11_Tiger
+10 :S!: thats what i say since this bug exist…

Yep. seems so

#36 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 08 January 2013 - 18:55

Several folks seemed to have strayed from Jason's admonition in his first post about the purpose of this thread:

And there will be no discussion about anything except how to replicated, possible causes and possible workarounds of solutions … anything else will be deleted.

Therefore, I have pruned those extraneous posts from the thread, and will continue to do so as I can.

Let's keep this thread on track folks.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#37 J2_Tony

J2_Tony

Posted 08 January 2013 - 20:56

Speaking as a programmer, everything about this smells like a memory leak of some kind. I bet it has nothing to do with the sound module – I'd look for something else spilling over that is corrupting whatever is supposed to be keeping track of what sounds are active.

#38 Nrohtnalu

Nrohtnalu

Posted 08 January 2013 - 21:45

Speaking as a programmer, everything about this smells like a memory leak of some kind. I bet it has nothing to do with the sound module – I'd look for something else spilling over that is corrupting whatever is supposed to be keeping track of what sounds are active.
Sounds reasonable since at least I see Out of memory messages, CTD and microstuttering much more often with this current build while the old 1.028 I joined in was very solid. I only had the time to enjoy it for one week until the 1.029 made it all worse.

If the game had been in this state the day I downloadad it as Free2play I would not had considered upgrading to full.

#39 RAWeir_GrauBart

RAWeir_GrauBart

Posted 09 January 2013 - 00:12

Flew tonight on the Circus server with no problem, except the occasional ticking sound usually during take off and lasting only 20 or 30 seconds. Then about 1 1/2 hours into flying a Felix showed up near my plane and just as I shot at it my engine and gun sounds went wonky as well as surrounding sounds.
One other odd occurrence was on the NewWings server couple of days ago, when the sound bug showed up I landed and the only sound was waves crashing and I was no where near water or even the Channel map.

#40 SC-Billy

SC-Billy

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:06

When the "sound bug" appears, it has all the symptoms of channel stealing by FMOD's "priority system". That is, when a new sound is played and all channels are in use, FMOD will "steal a channel with the lowest priority sound".

If this is, in fact, what is happening, then there may be a relatively simple temporary fix that the developers can make to improve things while they work out a proper solution.

As someone said earlier (shotdown, I think it was), the most important sounds that we would like to have available at all times are the various engine sounds of our own plane, and the sound of our own guns.

If these sounds can be kept alive by a code change (e.g., calling the FMOD function Channel::setPriority to bump the priority to the highest level [== 0] for these specific sounds), then the worst effects of the "sound bug" can be mitigated.

I don't have access to the source code, so, of course, I have no idea of the way that the FMOD functions are used in RoF and my suggestion may be wildly wrong (or this priority may already be being used.) Equally, the "sound bug" may be the result of something altogether different, such as a memory leak in an unrelated section of the code.

If I'm right, though, this might possibly be one way to make things a bit better temporarily.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users