- - - - -

Detail.DDS experiment.

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud
  • LocationWaleska, Georgia, USA

Posted 11 January 2013 - 15:08

I want to try this but am a bit gun shy as to maybe messing up my RoF, as it works well at the moment. But this is a marvelous addition to the already (yea bubbly bubbly) great graphics. Once (not if) this is worked out, what's the chances we can have this as least as an option for everyones game?

G5fCmYF.png

NEW WINGS VIRTUAL FLIGHT TRAINING

"Hardcore Through Passion"

#42 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 11 January 2013 - 16:43

i think your looking to far ahead and need to wake up first

#43 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:10

I'm still working on it Chief. However the one on the first page of this thread can not possibly harm your install as it does not overwrite any files and the detail.dds textures are exactly the same size as the hard-coded default ones.

Wolf, thanks. I've been doing just that throughout the week but without any success. I've also tried any number of variations of the above, both in file name and type, as well as location. Still no joy however.

I noticed you used the text heading, [Textures_Normals] in your previous post. Is this something the game actually reads and recognises or is it just for ease of use for the person writing the files? The reason I ask is that maybe the, normals_prefix=graphics\landscape\Nmap\nm_ line only refers to the default files that occur in the Nmap folder and relate to the Masks.

Perhaps I need to make a new line in my height.ini Something like, Textures_normals_prefix=graphics\landscape\Nmap\nm_ …
Clutching at straws a bit here. Really need some small clue from the devs. :(

The best I've been able to get so far is the normals/bumps to appear but not at the same time as the coloured textures. Blue landscape anyone?

#44 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:06

read my post again
must be height.ini and texture.ini

your screenshot did not load here sorry
when I was doing normal I used bmp and they connected with mask files I think but since then a lot has changed and I think you can place normal anywhere on the map and not have them linked to any other graphic file except the tile it compliments

#45 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:30

I noticed you used the text heading, [Textures_Normals] in your previous post. Is this something the game actually reads and recognises or is it just for ease of use for the person writing the files? The reason I ask is that maybe the, normals_prefix=graphics\landscape\Nmap\nm_ line only refers to the default files that occur in the Nmap folder and relate to the Masks.

Perhaps I need to make a new line in my height.ini Something like, Textures_normals_prefix=graphics\landscape\Nmap\nm_ …
Clutching at straws a bit here. Really need some small clue from the devs. :(

The best I've been able to get so far is the normals/bumps to appear but not at the same time as the coloured textures. Blue landscape anyone?

in height ini
if you added to the text
normals=manual
normals_prefix=graphics\landscape\NMap\nm_
normals_ext=.dds

then in the textures ini added a few extra lines under lets say the city text content that is something like

; ————Normals————-
[textures_NMap]

014 000 255 =graphics\landscape\NMap\nm_Toul01.dds
015 000 255 =graphics\landscape\NMap\nm_Toul02.dds
016 000 255 =graphics\landscape\NMap\nm_Toul03.dds
017 000 255 =graphics\landscape\NMap\nm_Toul04.dds

if you put your normals you make in a folder called NMap located @ yourdrive:\Program Files (x86)\Rise of Flight\data\graphics\LANDSCAPE\NMap folder

name the normal files the same file names and dds format
example: nm_Toul01.dds

screenshot was in quote :) got it working and YES its blue but it also shows potential , the concept and the style has a lot of merit it would compliment the textures far greater , keep playing with the idea , this will work but its finding the right key to open success
The Devs are busy , and we all know what doing so , just like Difis and Ankor ,lucas its experiment and learning

All part of the fun

#46 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:20

Guys, I should have said it earlier, but I wanted to see if I am wrong. Alas I'm not and you are just wasting time with those normals.

The game no longer supports loading normal textures from external files (DiFiS told me so), and what is even more important - even if they were still supported they aren't the ones you want. They are rather low res (50m/pixel, same as mask textures) and used to shade landscape at large scale - i.e. hills and valleys.
Here, I modified the shader to show normals instead of actual textures:
Attached File  normals.jpg   167.58KB   381 downloads
Note how low res they are.
So… just forget it.

#47 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:43

In height ini
if you added to the text
normals=manual
normals_prefix=graphics\landscape\NMap\nm_
normals_ext=.dds

then in the textures ini added a few extra lines under lets say the city text content that is something like

; ————Normals————-
[textures_NMap]

014 000 255 =graphics\landscape\NMap\nm_Toul01.dds
015 000 255 =graphics\landscape\NMap\nm_Toul02.dds
016 000 255 =graphics\landscape\NMap\nm_Toul03.dds
017 000 255 =graphics\landscape\NMap\nm_Toul04.dds

if you put your normals you make in a folder called NMap located @ yourdrive:\Program Files (x86)\Rise of Flight\data\graphics\LANDSCAPE\NMap folder

name the normal files the same file names and dds format
example: nm_Toul01.dds

screenshot was in quote :) got it working and YES its blue but it also shows potential , the concept and the style has a lot of merit it would compliment the textures far greater , keep playing with the idea , this will work but its finding the right key to open success
The Devs are busy , and we all know what doing so , just like Difis and Ankor ,lucas its experiment and learning

All part of the fun

Fun indeed. Just to confirm, I am indeed using the three lines of Normals text in my height ini which I copied them from an earlier version.
The blue textures pictured were achieved when I added the lines in the same manner you described to the textures.ini. The only difference was that I did not write the lines:

————Normals————-
[textures_NMap]

I can confirm that I have also been using an Nmap folder just inside the landscape one. I'm using RoF on a different physical drive, so my pathway is G:\Rise of Flight\Data\Graphics\Landscape\Nmap and I am using dds files for the normals to the same dimensions as the original textures that they are meant to accompany.

For ease of checking results I have been working on Arras and its surrounding area with the following textures:

082 000 255 =graphics\landscape\landscapequalitytextures\Arras01.dds
Through to…
089 000 255 =graphics\landscape\landscapequalitytextures\Arras08.dds

In my Nmap folder I had the Normals that I made and written up at the end of my texture.ini in the following manner:

082 000 255 =graphics\landscape\Nmap\Nm_Arras01.dds
Through to…
089 000 255 =graphics\landscape\Nmap\Nm_Arras08.dds

It seems our methods are the same. The only thing I've done differently is to not have the "————Normals————-
[textures_NMap]" lines in my textures.ini. I will certainly try this however.
I notice that every other normal.dds in the game (with the exception of those that relate to the masks) is in the same physical folder as the textures that they compliment. I might muck around with that too. As you say, it's all about experimenting and learning. ;)

#48 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:49

Ah Ankor, you must have posted while I was still typing…

That is sad news. I'll take your word for it and move on to some of the other things I was doing instead then. Such a pity though, it would have been amazing!

#49 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 12 January 2013 - 14:58

Ankor no problems we have all hit barriers it happens ,thank you

Is it possible to increase the 10x10 carpet tiles from 512 x 512 pixels to 2048 x 2048 pixel :)

#50 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 13 January 2013 - 13:58

Is it possible to increase the 10x10 carpet tiles from 512 x 512 pixels to 2048 x 2048 pixel :)
Honestly, I don't know. Never experimented with that I don't really want to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users