Photo
- - - - -

Mini-mod. Less blue Channel water

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:15

Here's a quickie mod get rid of that Pacific Fighters-style blue water that comes with the new Channel map.

If you look in the Sea and Waterdesc.txt files contained in this JSGME-ready download, the Red Green Blue values have been tweaked to give a slightly less tropical hue to the sea and harbours. Pictures are below of before and after. The defualt values for the colours btw are, 0.03,0.05,0.05. Feel free to experiment with them to taste.

Chances are a lot of people won't be able to agree on a suitable colour. I'm red/green colour blind myself, so consider this more a proof-of-concept thing and not a final product. If you come up with a better tweak of colour, post it here so we can all enjoy it!

Cheers,
F-IV

http://www.mediafire...cyp2vuk41ue8ee#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mediafire...cyp2vuk41ue8ee#

#2 Damocles

Damocles

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:28

That looks better.

The original might look vaguely right, for a really nice day, but given any other weather that occurs 95 percent of the time then it looks rather wrong.

Maybe it could be adjusted season to season like the ground and tree textures ?

It would also be nice to have a heavier, heavy cloud pattern rather than having to put up with just overcast as anything remotely correct for a good deal of Channel weather.

#3 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:37

Looks nice. But as Damocles said, I think it should depend on weather. Google for photos of the channel and you will see both colours.

#4 realCallahan

realCallahan

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:39

Are there both water Colours in unmodded water too?

#5 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:49

Looks nice. But as Damocles said, I think it should depend on weather.

Me too, but that would require coding that the game just does not have. Feel free to edit the values and make your own though :S!:

#6 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:13

I do like it better though as most of the time the weather will be clouds/overcast IRL! :)

#7 Waxworks

Waxworks

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:59

I prefer the modded version too, if the switch ids fairly easy I would go for this colour when the sound bug patch is released.

There have been one or two comments about other interpretations of the Channel region, its good to have Dover than looks reasonably like Dover rather than a generic IL2 town transplanted onto the edge of the sea.

However I was somewhat confused by a picture of a 'tunnel object' posted in another thread that looked like something out of a bad nineties games??? By all means have the tunnel facing as a 2d object but it should be placed onto a properly modelled piece of terrain??? It just seemed very far below the general standard of an otherwise excellent update.

#8 ROSS_DiFiS

ROSS_DiFiS

Posted 26 December 2012 - 14:14

i like it

#9 Damocles

Damocles

Posted 26 December 2012 - 14:25

You know how RoF has Cuda mapping (?) that has the local environment affecting the colour of the aircraft, maybe other things too, perhaps this effect could be used to vary the colour of the sea, more clouds=grater colder colours?

#10 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 26 December 2012 - 16:19

Very nice! Downloading now.

#11 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 26 December 2012 - 16:41

Looks nice. But as Damocles said, I think it should depend on weather. Google for photos of the channel and you will see both colours.

I think many here have the misconception that a photograph looks like a normal visual perception under standard lighting conditions. As some of us pointed out in another thread, a lot of picturesque photographs are made with lens filters, and misrepresent natural colors. I mean, come on Vander, Dover isn't that far from the Netherlands. You know what that ocean normally looks like: brown, turbid, and frothy.

Anyway, nice job Feathered. Can you do something about the shallow water color, i.e. the tropical light blue? Some of the photos people have pointed out with something like that color near Dover are a product of silt in the water, not visibility down to the sandy floor.

#12 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV USA

Posted 26 December 2012 - 17:00

I knew this would be the first thing to get modded on the map. Looks nice. The team has hundreds of pics of the channel water and it varies greatly and we don't have time to build a complicated system to manage the color on such a detailed level and attach it to environment, lighting etc. The perception by a lot of users is that the English Channel is sort of a green/grey piece of water. Now you can have that in a mod. But like all ocean water it changes color due to lots of factors.

Jason

#13 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 26 December 2012 - 19:35

Gavagai: listen to the man, for he speaks the truth :)

Never seen those colours at the coast around these parts.

#14 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 26 December 2012 - 20:26

I like this mod a lot. Here's a shot taken with it at Ramsgate.

Attached Files

#15 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 26 December 2012 - 20:34

Gavagai: listen to the man, for he speaks the truth :)

Never seen those colours at the coast around these parts.

I have, frequently, but I live further south on the Channel coast and we're seperated from the North Sea by the Dover Strait. Are you referring to the North Sea?

The sea never looks the same here on two successive days.

#16 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 26 December 2012 - 20:42

Nice Mod!

The default looks (to me) too much like the Caribbean.

Thank you!

#17 navair2

navair2
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 26 December 2012 - 20:50

Nice Mod!

The default looks (to me) too much like the Caribbean.

Thank you!

But…I like the Caribbean… :cry: It's so, well, clear and blue; And the Pacific, so deep and blue. Combine the two, and voila! instant perfect water. No mud, no messy fish, ship traffic and wave action stirring up bottom silt, etc… :roll:

Truth be told, I like this mod. :P

Case: Corsair 650D Motherboard: AsRock Z77 Extreme4 PSU: Antec TruePower New 750 Blue CPU: Intel i5-2500K ( Socket 1155 )

CPU Cooler: ZalMan CNPS9500A LED GPU: EVGA GTX 580 MEM: 8 GB G.Skill PC12800 DDR3 1600
Soundcard: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Monitor: Samsung 2343 BWX 23"@ 2048 x 1152 OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

#18 NickM

NickM

Posted 30 December 2012 - 13:44

Nice mod, Feathered!

#19 Pierre2

Pierre2
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:30

Well done my fine feathered friend

#20 Damocles

Damocles

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:32

I knew this would be the first thing to get modded on the map. Looks nice. The team has hundreds of pics of the channel water and it varies greatly and we don't have time to build a complicated system to manage the color on such a detailed level and attach it to environment, lighting etc. The perception by a lot of users is that the English Channel is sort of a green/grey piece of water. Now you can have that in a mod. But like all ocean water it changes color due to lots of factors.

Jason

Agreed, but, and I think I maybe speak for several people, but then again maybe not :mrgreen: , it might be more convincing, if the water reflected the "general" rather than what one might consider to be the "nicest" weather, as a one size fits all. For those of us used to the sea's around the UK and in particular the channel the Mini-mod has, given a range of weather, the more believable representation.

#21 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:51

I still say maintain that the "nicest" photos are the product of lens filters

#22 silverfox441

silverfox441

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:23

Know what? I love it! In my mind, it represent what the Chanel looks like. In the words of Pierre Closterman, the chanel looked "grey and uninviting" when he flew over it.

Attached Files

#23 AussiePilot

AussiePilot

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:35

This mod is great for changing the colour but the main problem is the shore line textures. That greyish look needs to go all the way. The sand/gravel/pebbles of the coast line don't look anything like, as mentioned before… a Caribbean coastline that we seem to be getting in the stock scenery.
Don't get me wrong, but i wish more research was done before hand by the devs, I've walked those cliffs many a time and never seen the channel look like this.
Dare I say it…. the only sim that seems to have the channel sea and coastline looking real would be IL-2 Cliffs of Dover… one of the better things from that sim.

But hey, we have a great community here in RoF and I'm sure it will get sorted in the long run. Apart from that…I am really enjoying the channel map…thank you, I may install this mod in the mean time as well… thanks Feathered.

#24 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 20 February 2013 - 15:44

Excellent mod.. I will definately be using it! Many thanks.. :)

#25 Fidd

Fidd

Posted 01 April 2013 - 16:02

Does this mod change the colour of the sea on the Channel-map in multiplayer? If not, PLEASE could the Devs adopt it as the mutliplayer map sea colour, it's far more representative of the Channel.

Fidd (900 hours plus flying light aircraft from Shoreham, Lydd, RAF Manston (all on the south-east coast of England) and countless flights across to Caen, Calais, Le Touquet and Rouen.)

#26 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 04 April 2013 - 19:41

Does this mod change the colour of the sea on the Channel-map in multiplayer? If not, PLEASE could the Devs adopt it as the mutliplayer map sea colour, it's far more representative of the Channel.

Fidd (900 hours plus flying light aircraft from Shoreham, Lydd, RAF Manston (all on the south-east coast of England) and countless flights across to Caen, Calais, Le Touquet and Rouen.)

No it does not. It's a mod and, as far as I know, no server allows mods currently.

#27 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 07 April 2013 - 17:58

I am really starting to think we should make a poll for asking to make this offcial. it just feels much better with this colors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users