- - - - -

PWCG (RoFCampaign) 12.0 Beta to be available soon

• Please log in to reply
246 replies to this topic

#1 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 17 December 2012 - 14:30

Hey all,

RoFCampaign 12.0 will be available in Beta form as soon as Jason can post it. This is a bit of a departure from previous releases in that it is a beta release. Users should approach it with a mindset that they are willing to help. I am starting this thread to capture discussions/issues specific to 12.0.

1. This release will be installed into a different directory, RoFCampaignBeta. It can be run alongside 11.4. You do not have to overwrite 11.4 to use this.
2. The UI will continue to work with 11.4 - users of 12.0 beta will have to access missions the old way (generate the mission and then start RoF).
3. Beta does not mean untested - so far I am aware of only one unresolved issue (friendly AAA at your own airfield). What it does mean is that there is a lot of content, and I cannot cover it all by myself. Your help is appreciated.

12.0 Change List
    - Moving front - Front moves based on historical offensives - Squadron moves are based on moving front - Maps now draw front lines. - Optional - set from Simple Configuration menu - Default is off. - Added newspaper events for major offensives - Map Improvements - Maps now zoom to 5 discrete levels: 150% 125%, 100%, 75%, and 50% - Use mouse wheel. - Latest RoF map is now used. - Scaling text - Front line is drawn on map (important for moving front) - Mission generation improvements - Player can now go back and forth to mission screen without losing the mission - Can go to other screens and return to mission. - Stays active as long as PWCG is running. - Mission will not stay active after PWCG terminates! - Use "Scrub Mission" for a new mission. - Use "Accept Mission" to accept the mission and write to disk … - or use "Fly Mission" to fly the mission directly. - Mission is not written to disk until either Accept or Fly are selected.
    - Once Accept or Fly are selected no further edits are possible.
    - After Accept it is still possible to scrub the mission and generate a different one.
    - Player can change aircraft assignments for a mission - Pilot selection moved to its own UI page. - Accessible from Mission Briefing. - Adding and removing pilots still works with a button press. - Change plane by clicking on a plane and then making selection from pop up. - Many new ground locations added. - Simple config now has ground structure density level - Player can now set missions credited per mission actually flown - Default will be 1 - I personally prefer 3 - Ease of use changes - Validates proper installation directory - Forces planes owned to be assigned to avoid reported issues. - Startup via EXE (PWCG.exe) - thanks Ankhor Bug Fixes - Aces are now harder to kill (Bot must be dead, not just plane crashed) - Fixed issue where pilot status was reported as a number and not meaningful text

#2 Voss

Voss

Posted 17 December 2012 - 15:40

Pat you are the best.

This looks very promising. Can't wait to test this new release.

#3 WWSittingduck

WWSittingduck

Posted 17 December 2012 - 15:54

Really interesting. Can't wait to see if we can create a nice series of MP missions with a moving front.

Old Fokkers Squad

#4 Avatar

Posted 17 December 2012 - 15:56

Really interesting. Can't wait to see if we can create a nice series of MP missions with a moving front.

Now that would be cool!!!

ASUS Maximus VII, i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 970 SSC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133, Win 7 Pro, Track IR5, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, 2 MFCDs, 32" Bravia & 2 19" Syncmaster monitors

#5 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 17 December 2012 - 15:59

Great news, Pat!

#6 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 17 December 2012 - 16:47

A moving front! Wow!

#7 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 17 December 2012 - 16:58

As stated, you can run 12.0 side by side with 11.4, so there is no need to choose one or the other.

To select the moving front go to simple config and press the map icon in the lower right - moving front selected has arrows (I thought it was obvious, hopefully I'm right :) ).

You can change back and forth between moving front and static front in the same campaign.

If you want to bring an existing campaign over to 12.0, just copy the campaign folder from your 11.4 install into the campaign directory of your 12.0 install. What happens in your 12.0 install will NOT affect your 11.4 campaign.

There may be a delay in opening a screen with a map (Briefing, Debrief, Intel). The maps are considerably bigger. I load them in a background thread, but if they are not finished loading when you go to one of the map pages there will be a delay while loading finishes.

#8 Der.Mo

Der.Mo

Posted 17 December 2012 - 17:18

RoF stock campaign may go where the pepper grows (as e´we say in Germany XD )
This is just fantastic work Pat!! Really looking forward to that!

#9 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 17 December 2012 - 17:52

One of the reasons for the delay has been the fact that I sort of dread releasing it. 11.4 is very stable, but that came after a lot of hard work from 11.0 until 11.4. I don't mind the hard work but (this was my fault) releasing the 11 series as versions implied a level of quality that was not realized until 11.4. With 12 I think that calling it a beta is more honest and hopefully sets expectations appropriately. With a bit of help from the community we can get it just so. In the meantime 11.4 will remain available on Useful Materials as the current release version and it can happily coexist with 12.0.

#10 Pierre2

Pierre2
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 17 December 2012 - 22:27

Pat, you deserve a medal, several in fact. Muchos grassy arse for all your fine efforts. May several forces be with you.

#11 theMoxy

theMoxy

Posted 17 December 2012 - 22:39

Perhaps the friendly AAA isn't so much a case of a glitch as it is entirely possible that the gunnery sergeant just doesn't like the pilot? Perhaps he finds us pompous & rude whilst on the ground?

#12 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV USA

Posted 17 December 2012 - 23:44

Everyone,

PWCG 12.0 Beta can be downloaded from this link.

PWCG 12.0

Great job as always Pat!

Jason

#13 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 18 December 2012 - 00:26

Thanks, Jason!

@Pat: When i hit Accept Mission I get a message: (name of pilot/date) access denied

Have no idea what that means…?

#14 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:30

Sounds like windows permissions on the campaign files. Why I have no idea. Check permissions and make sure they are read/write access.

#15 Pierre2

Pierre2
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:50

1. This release will be installed into a different directory, RoFCampaignBeta.

Does this mean it goes in to the programs folder as its own identity, or does it go into the RoF folder?

#16 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:29

Sounds like windows permissions on the campaign files. Why I have no idea. Check permissions and make sure they are read/write access.

Okay, uhm, where do I find windows permissions? :mrgreen:

#17 lederhosen

lederhosen

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:13

Salute

Had some spare time…

FA7 at Lachelle Feb 1917.. er, the DFW's spawned facing the hangers and crashed.

And the Gui thingy that let us switch from in game to PWCG does not work…infact it no longers appears on screen. I checked the SWF folder and the file needed is there????

other than that the mod seems to run ok.

#18 =URU=Fox

=URU=Fox

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:44

Great news!

#19 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:08

lederhosen,
2. The UI will continue to work with 11.4 - users of 12.0 beta will have to access missions the old way (generate the mission and then start RoF).

The "GUI thingy" shows PWCG button only if PWCG is found in "RoFCampaign" folder. Since this Beta uses different folder it doesn't work with GUI mod.
If you want to use the beta with GUI - rename "RoFCampaignBeta_v12.0" folder into "RoFCampaign" so the GUI will be able to detect it. However, I suppose it is called a beta for a reason, so you'd better keep the old version with your existing campaigns somewhere safe.

#20 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 18 December 2012 - 13:10

Scratching head a bit on the permissions thing. Can you try running the program as administrator (right click on the exe and press "Run as administrator"). Something flaky with one of the files or directories, but it's hard to know which one.

Lederhosen - Aircraft spawning in or crashing into hangars is an old nemesis. I put in the ability to set spawn and landing distances, but it has to be done airfield by airfield. Which squadron, and date?

Which reminds me, for any issue, please post squadron, date, and whether you are using moving front or not.

Thanks.

#21 lederhosen

lederhosen

Posted 18 December 2012 - 13:53

Salute

52 Sqn RFC / 1.12.1916 / Baizieux

FA7 / 1.2.1917 / Lachelle

both squads spawn looking at the Hangers. And Moving Front not "on"

#22 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 18 December 2012 - 14:22

Salute

52 Sqn RFC / 1.12.1916 / Baizieux

FA7 / 1.2.1917 / Lachelle

both squads spawn looking at the Hangers. And Moving Front not "on"

Thanks. These things are a pain in the rump. I map aircraft position based on the value of the airfield's location. Most airfields are generic and properly positioned, so things just work. For special airfields and in some odd cases generic ones, things go wrong, and they have to be handled on a case by case basis.

#23 jeanba4

jeanba4

Posted 18 December 2012 - 15:21

Looks great !

#24 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 18 December 2012 - 16:43

Went back and tossed the new version, then installed again.

Also removed the 11.x version I had been using so 12.0 Beta is the only one in the Rise of Flight folder (this is the correct folder, right?).

Filled in the Gui string (C:\ etc.) Created pilot, tried to create a mission and same result:

Get pilot name, date and "Access denied".

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

If I swap folders nd take the 12.0 version out and pout the 11 version back in, the 11 version works.

Puzzled (not unusual for me :mrgreen: ).

It's probably something I am doing wrong in setting it up (usually is :oops: ), not the program. Version 11 continues to work just fine.

#25 Der.Mo

Der.Mo

Posted 18 December 2012 - 18:05

Are you generating missions via RoF GUI?

#26 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 18 December 2012 - 18:09

Have you tried running as administrator? it sounds like PWCG wants to overwrite a file and does not have permission on your system to do so. Further it sounds like an issue with the campaign directory or a file in the campaign dir.

After "run as administrator" here are some more things to try:

1. Using Windows Explorer, go to the campaign folder and just create a text file. Does it let you?
2. Delete and recreate the campaign folder.
3. In PWCG, do something else that causes a file to be written like changing planes owned, or config

I suspect it is something to do with the way that I packaged tings, but for the life of me I can't figure out what - but we will.

#27 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 18 December 2012 - 18:30

1. I don't know how to do this (lots of stuff ZI don;t know how to do)

2. Tried this several times. Same result. Tried having both version 11 and version 12 folders inside the RoF Folders, tried them separately in the main Rof Folder. 11 works. 12 doesn't.

3. I've changed the planes owned, changed the AAR method, etc. I've retyped the GUI line (C:\) several times. No change.

When I click Accept Mission and is says "Acces Denied," if I click it again I get another message saying "Invalid Orientantion: NAN")

Is this happening to others or just me? If it's just me, it must be something I am doing incorrectly.

#28 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 18 December 2012 - 18:55

The invalid orientation happens when invalid math (usually divide by zero) is used to calculate orientation. NaN is an invalid floating point number. That is a bug usually caused by bad data or a scenario that I had not accounted for (mission save failing combined with a retry). I am guessing the second.

To run normally you left click twice on the exe. To run as administrator you right click on the exe and select "Run as administrator" from the options.

#29 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 18 December 2012 - 18:57

1. This release will be installed into a different directory, RoFCampaignBeta.

Does this mean it goes in to the programs folder as its own identity, or does it go into the RoF folder?

Install it into RoF root directory he same as 11.4.

#30 Sherman7

Sherman7

Posted 18 December 2012 - 19:49

I just set up a mission with 12.0 and it did not have a fly now option. Opened "missions" in ROF, and there it was.
Hope this helps.

#31 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 18 December 2012 - 20:20

It doesn't give me a "run as administrator" option when I right click.

I have tried changing permissions in the exe (jar) properties but no go.

#32 Sherman7

Sherman7

Posted 18 December 2012 - 20:35

Try the PWCG application file.

#33 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 18 December 2012 - 20:58

I just set up a mission with 12.0 and it did not have a fly now option. Opened "missions" in ROF, and there it was.
Hope this helps.

Per release notes, this will not work in the Beta. It operates on known location - i.e. the install directory has to be named ROFCampaign. Since the beta installs to ROFCampaignBeta, that feature is not available. You will have to do it the old fashioned way:
1. Generate the mission
2. Start RoF
3. Go to missions screen in RoF and select the mission. The mission will be named after your campaign pilot.

You could rename ROFCampaignBeta to ROFCampaign, and then it would work. Of course, if you have a working 11.4 install already named ROFCampaign then you have to do something with that before you rename ROFCampaignBeta. Personally, I would not do that, but it's your call.

#34 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 18 December 2012 - 21:02

What Sherman said :).

Ankor was kind enough to create a little launch utility for PWCG - it's PWCG.exe in the same folder as the JAR file. Most people are familiar with EXE files and not runnable JARs, so it should reduce confusion. it also comes with a neat little icon :). The JAR file is still an executable and should work, but it is possible that windows is confused and won't give you the "run as administrator" option.

#35 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 18 December 2012 - 21:20

What Sherman said :).

Ankor was kind enough to create a little launch utility for PWCG - it's PWCG.exe in the same folder as the JAR file. Most people are familiar with EXE files and not runnable JARs, so it should reduce confusion. it also comes with a neat little icon :). The JAR file is still an executable and should work, but it is possible that windows is confused and won't give you the "run as administrator" option.

Well, it gets as far as "Accept Mission" and that's where I get the error message. Everything works up to that point. It appears it just isn't seeing the program.

#36 Sherman7

Sherman7

Posted 18 December 2012 - 23:57

Hot Tom,
The only other step that I can think of, atm, is logging in to ROF "online" to allow the mod to synchronize with the game files. I believe that is what I did initially.
I've been trying to get the error message you are receiving, but cannot so far.

#37 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 19 December 2012 - 13:21

The issue has to do with permissions on HT's computer. For a reason that I am completely unable to explain, he does not have permission to write either to the ROF mission folder or the PWCG campaign folder. Both of these locations are written to when you accept a mission.

Suggestions:
1. Run PWCG.exe (not the JAR)
2. Run PWCG.exe as administrator (Windows knows to do that with an exe, can't do it with the JAR)
3. Check permissions on the PWCG campaign folder (right click on folder/properties/security)
4. Do same on RoF mission directory.

#38 Joker_BR

Joker_BR

Posted 19 December 2012 - 13:59

For a reason that I am completely unable to explain, he does not have permission to write either to the ROF mission folder or the PWCG campaign folder.
That's why I don't install games into "Program Files" folder. Sometimes, Windows will refuse to permit writing access to some programs. I just use "C:\games".

#39 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 19 December 2012 - 14:23

So, anybody having any success with 12.0 so far? Any new problems to report? I have bad airfields per Lederhosen, and HotTom has permission issues. That's the feedback so far.

#40 LordNeuro_Srb

LordNeuro_Srb
  • LocationNovi Sad/Serbia

Posted 19 December 2012 - 14:32

Pat i have sugestion (maybe stupid , sorry if so) to make a video of how to instal and sett all to run the campaing. I know i would love to tray it out but i m not shore what files i need to change (ini or what ever file ) so same video of hole proces (for noob like me :oops: ) would be gr8. Just a suggestion and sorry if it is stupid.
:S!:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users