- - - - -

777 Studios partners with 1C to develop Battle of Stalingrad

• Please log in to reply
364 replies to this topic

#281 JG1_Vonrd_J10

JG1_Vonrd_J10
  • LocationOakland CA

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:12

Has there been any mention as to whether BoS will continue the RoF model of purchasing additional planes / mods individually? I think it's a policy that works really well for the player as well as (hopefully) the dev. If so please sign me up to prepurchase all!

#282 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:56

Has there been any mention as to whether BoS will continue the RoF model of purchasing additional planes / mods individually? I think it's a policy that works really well for the player as well as (hopefully) the dev. If so please sign me up to prepurchase all!

Hi Vonrd,

Loft answered this question partly in the first developer diary:

11) The question about economic side of the project. What exactly are we waiting for, purchase a single aircraft like in the ROF or normal paid add-ons like in the good old "IL-2"?

We are planning a hybrid system. This will create a line of products that can satisfy different groups of players with different financial capabilities and preferences. Those players who are committed flight simulation hobbyists can purchase additional content in the online store. In the future, if such a model is successful; we will be releasing regular additions that feature other famous air battles of World War II that contain the planes that took part in them.

forum.il2sturmovik.net/index.php?showtopic=168

That's all we know for now!

#283 Bearcat

Bearcat

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:31

Fun times indeed.. :)

#284 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:43

Hey who is this and why does his avatar look like a black version of the illegal child of Oswald Boelcke and Jacques Brel?

#285 catchov

catchov

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:56

Hey who is this and why does his avatar look like a black version of the illegal child of Oswald Boelcke and Jacques Brel?

Hmmmm he looks like the same guy over at the IL2:BoS forum ….

:shock: Oh my word!

Be careful what you say Joris. ;)

#286 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:49

Yup, Bullard can be considered the " Red Tail" of WW1 ! :) Amazing life story, that's for sure.
Welcome Bearcat!

#287 fliddlesticks

fliddlesticks

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:56

I, like most here, are very concerned about the future of ROF. All Jason guaranteed was that "all current releases promised are on schedule." I have no doubt that this is true, however, the problem for ROF comes after they have delivered on the current releases promised. A very ominous statement was made by him when pressed about future intentions regarding ROF. He said that he didn't want to make promises he couldn't keep. I think we have our answer regarding the future of ROF; maybe not.

So far Jason and the team have really delivered a fantastic game and service to us. Likewise we have delivered our praise and loyalty and also large sums of money. We haven't let them down. Let's hope they don't let us down.

#288 dirk

dirk

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:04

This has probably been said before in the thread; if so sorry for repeating it. With the game now available for free, the only income for the team has been through sales of new planes, or extensions of the timescale/geography of the war. Although I'm not an economist, it seems pretty clear that there always was going to be a limit to the viability of the team on this basis. Personally, I am content with the existing aircraft, as I haven't managed yet to even try to fly all of them.

It is doubtful if there will ever be another WWI sim which will match rof for quality in most areas. There is of course OFF, but sadly this is based on the very old CFS 3. But it is truly wonderful to have two such detailed and generally historically accurate sims to choose from. There is far more than I will ever be able to look at (but I am 78).

I am glad that the team have a new project and will be able to continue as a company. I just hope that rof will continue to be playable for as long as anyone still wants to play it.

#289 AndyJWest

AndyJWest

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:48

A very ominous statement was made by him when pressed about future intentions regarding ROF. He said that he didn't want to make promises he couldn't keep.

Would you rather that Jason did make promises he couldn't keep?

#290 Mogster

Mogster

Posted 19 December 2012 - 14:43

People keep going on about DX9, but how do we know they wont add Dx10/11 features? Has that been mentioned?
Personally I think ROF is the best flight sim engine at the moment. It looks more than acceptable (some times still impresses me a lot). But it also runs really well fps wise.
I play DCS also and as much as I love it, I spend 50% of the mission wondering how i can improve my FPS due to the constant dips and stutters, that really ruins the immersion.
i think the ROF engine has the perf/image quality about right.
+ 1

I really hate those games developed for some future, not
yet been released, rigs.
Except (for this topic)world famous CloD, FSX comes to
my mind right now.
Really… graphic quality/performance is important matter.
At least - for anyone who doesn't pull his wallet faster

than John Wayne his Colt Single Action Army revolver. }:-)

Made with the future in mind generally means un-optimized. I agree that poor frame rates are the ultimate immersion killer.

#291 robin100

robin100

Posted 19 December 2012 - 15:27

I'm happy to hear about the new WWII flight sim, yet I'm seriously concerned about the future of RoF. I only hope the project to be continued. We will not have any other WWI flightsim soon!
As for 1C studio, it would be great if they finish hardly playable Il-2 'Cliffs of Dover' first before making another product.

#292 fliddlesticks

fliddlesticks

Posted 19 December 2012 - 18:04

A very ominous statement was made by him when pressed about future intentions regarding ROF. He said that he didn't want to make promises he couldn't keep.

Would you rather that Jason did make promises he couldn't keep?

Like myself, many here are concerned about the future of ROF. Obviously you're not. If you read again, you should be able to discern that nothing in my message implies me wanting Jason to make promises he can't keep. His saying that he didn't want to make promises he couldn't keep is probably an honest attempt on his part to tell us that there is a distinct possibly of abandonment or significant reduction of effort put into ROF by the team. That much should be clear to you too.

I'm 66 yrs old and very new to gaming and also to ROF. Pretty much new to using the computer too compared to most on here. If the team abandons ROF, does this mean we won't be able to play it? Naive question maybe, but valid concern to me. I've grown to love this game and very much appreciate the efforts of the team and hope this effort continues. There is so much more that can be done with it.

#293 Mogster

Mogster

Posted 19 December 2012 - 20:24

Hi Fliddlesticks :S!:

The very worst that would happen is a freeze in development with no new content added, 777 have always said that maintenance of the online component of the game is relatively inexpensive so we wouldn't be shut out. There's no reason not to believe them on that score. For what its worth I think 777 adding no new content to ROF in the next year is unlikely as well, why shut off the revenue stream?

As for games development this is pretty much the way things happen. Developers work on a product for a period of time then stop developing that product and move on to their next big thing. You'll still be able to play the game you bought but there wont be any updates for it or new stuff. ROF does have an unusual business model built around buying content rather than the whole game though so its very much a case of wait and see.

#294 fliddlesticks

fliddlesticks

Posted 19 December 2012 - 20:44

Hello Mogster

Thanks for the kind answer to my concerns. :S!:

#295 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester
  • LocationRedlands, California

Posted 19 December 2012 - 21:23

As for 1C studio, it would be great if they finish hardly playable Il-2 'Cliffs of Dover' first before making another product.

Not going to happen. The sim is as finished by 1C as it's going to be.

#296 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 19 December 2012 - 23:53

And the old 1C is gone..there is now 1C - 777 ltd. (refered to by JAson as 1C Game Studios, or 1CGS).

#297 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 20 December 2012 - 00:12

Some good news :) Two new physics engineers have been hired, direct colleagues of An.Petrovich. He is training them since November to make flight models.

translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.il2sturmovik.su%2Findex.php%3Fshowtopic%3D122

Thanks to Wiseblood for the link.

#298 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 20 December 2012 - 00:31

Roman Kovalenko comes from Mikoyan… That sounds rather encouraging. :)

#299 Scott_Steiner

Scott_Steiner
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:36

I don't know why anyone would want the Cliffs of Dover engine used or even that game finished, it was junk.

Poorly updated and un-optimized from the Forgotten Battles engine, it was like an old hag in a gaudy fur jacket. Still just an old dog in some flashy but tacky new attire. Ground handling, physics modelling and damage modelling all subpar when compared to the digital nature engine. It was sure great running into a building at 1 mph and watching my airplane explode into a million pieces with canned physics. None of this stuff was updated from the original game that came out 11 years ago. Let's not mention the trees had no collision modelling and the horrible pop-up towns.

Of course the new game won't use such an awful game engine, but if they did I would probably go door to door soliciting people to take pamphlets I printed out saying why the game will be a waste of money. :D

#300 Bf-110

Bf-110

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:43

Roman Kovalenko comes from Mikoyan… That sounds rather encouraging. :)

Does that means a Cold War sim with MiGs? :D

#301 Eiswolf

Eiswolf

Posted 20 December 2012 - 15:13

I sincerely hope that the mulitiplayer is better than ROF and IL2 and that the maps are better,the ground objects are better,mission builder is better.You have a long ways to go to beat IL2 and if you don't the game will be a dud and no one will be buying your add on's.
Good luck and I hope it works.
Merry Christmas

#302 Pimpin

Pimpin

Posted 20 December 2012 - 15:29

Better not post that on the new forum lol

#303 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 20 December 2012 - 15:50

Don't worry, Eiswolf has always been a beacon of positivity. And friendly, to boot :).

#304 Mogster

Mogster

Posted 20 December 2012 - 16:27

Some good news :) Two new physics engineers have been hired, direct colleagues of An.Petrovich. He is training them since November to make flight models.

translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.il2sturmovik.su%2Findex.php%3Fshowtopic%3D122

Thanks to Wiseblood for the link.

I think producing revised FM for the Camel and Albatros would make nice training projects :)

Seriously this is exciting news though.

#305 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV USA

Posted 20 December 2012 - 20:44

They trained on the Felixstowe. Don't expect an explosion of aircraft as a result of a couple more people. It's still difficult to make our airplanes.

Jason

#306 Bando

Bando

Posted 20 December 2012 - 22:53

Hi Jason,
The simple fact that the team hired some new forces joys me. It shows to the rest of the world this team is really going for whatever comes in 2014.
In the meantime, the new photo on Facebook from the Felix shows great potential if they did that (even a small part of it).
Thank you team!!

I'll be anxiously waiting for the Channel map and that beautiful Felix.

All the best….

Bando

#307 Eiswolf

Eiswolf

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:42

Don't worry, Eiswolf has always been a beacon of positivity. And friendly, to boot :).

:D I know I have not been positive at times but I really do hope this takes us to the next level
:S!:

one of the historical SE5 paints is wrong ,I can't help it ,sorry :)

#308 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:14

Happy holidays, Eiswolf :S!:

#309 J5_Vorlander

J5_Vorlander

Posted 21 December 2012 - 17:10

We don't care about an explosion of aircraft Herr Jason. Only to know that ROF will be there until 2050 is the best news

:D

#310 AB1_CamelJock

AB1_CamelJock

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:39

Oh, alright, I'll buy it when it comes out… twist my rubber arm….

#311 catchov

catchov

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:43

Only to know that ROF will be there until 2050 is the best news

:D

Indeed it is. :) When did Jason say that? Anyway, I'm very much looking forward to the special 41st Anniversary edition with the Fe2d, flamin' onions and infantry charges across a changing no-man's land.

#312 Kudlius

Kudlius

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:31

Dear Producers, 777 Studios and 1C,

It is so nice to hear about this project for me, I am not a professional programmer, or a person involved in making flight games, I am a simple home user.

It looks like it will be a good product:
Stalingrad map is easy to create and it will not be to much demanding on PC: 1 river Volga, small city of Stalingrad, few villages, no forests (steppe), mostly winter on the ground. Clever decision, map of Moscow would be far more complicated.
Not to much planes, but it will be very hard to play for the Soviets and main challenge for you will be to make a good balance in power.
Good luck

And finally what is important for me as a home user:
Please, maybe it is possible to make it accessible from RoF's menu with the same controls and settings?
To much sims in my PC:)

Thank You very much

#313 AB1_CamelJock

AB1_CamelJock

Posted 23 December 2012 - 00:44

Posted about this in my large hardware forum.. Techpowerup.com should get 100s, if not 1000s of views.

#314 Bearcat

Bearcat

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:09

Subject: 777 Studios partners with 1C to develop Battle of Stalingrad

Yup, Bullard can be considered the " Red Tail" of WW1 ! :) Amazing life story, that's for sure.
Welcome Bearcat!

It is an amazing story isn't it.. Eugene Bullard and so far the closest it has ever come to being told was in Flyboys .. but his life after WWII was pretty fascinating too.. He died pennless and broke working as an elevator man for NBC studios.. I think it was Jack Parr who got wind of his story and had him on the show.. Medals and all..

I, like most here, are very concerned about the future of ROF. All Jason guaranteed was that "all current releases promised are on schedule." I have no doubt that this is true, however, the problem for ROF comes after they have delivered on the current releases promised. A very ominous statement was made by him when pressed about future intentions regarding ROF. He said that he didn't want to make promises he couldn't keep. I think we have our answer regarding the future of ROF; maybe not.

So far Jason and the team have really delivered a fantastic game and service to us. Likewise we have delivered our praise and loyalty and also large sums of money. We haven't let them down. Let's hope they don't let us down.

The only detriment to the future of RoF is it's community and the decisions it makes, regardless to what it's developers do. If we have learned nothing else from the whole IL2 experience it is that nothing is free and nothing lasts forever.. but it can last a mighty long time if you keep it alive. If the developer added 6 more aircraft and did nothing else from here on out but additional maps for RoF and maybe some functional upgrades from here on out and kept the online support going there is no reason why this community should fear BoS. Currently there are 33 aircraft in RoF with more coming.. It may not be as many as some want.. but it is enough to keep an active community happy. H@ll there are still people flying RBIII somewhere..

#315 Dutch_851

Dutch_851

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:10

Subject: 777 Studios partners with 1C to develop Battle of Stalingrad

Welcome Bearcat!

It is an amazing story isn't it.. Eugene Bullard and so far the closest it has ever come to being told was in Flyboys .. but his life after WWII was pretty fascinating too.. He died pennless and broke working as an elevator man for NBC studios.. I think it was Jack Parr who got wind of his story and had him on the show.. Medals and all..

The only detriment to the future of RoF is it's community and the decisions it makes, regardless to what it's developers do. If we have learned nothing else from the whole IL2 experience it is that nothing is free and nothing lasts forever.. but it can last a mighty long time if you keep it alive. If the developer added 6 more aircraft and did nothing else from here on out but additional maps for RoF and maybe some functional upgrades from here on out and kept the online support going there is no reason why this community should fear BoS. Currently there are 33 aircraft in RoF with more coming.. It may not be as many as some want.. but it is enough to keep an active community happy. H@ll there are still people flying RBIII somewhere..

Amen.

#316 Stratostorm

Stratostorm

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:29

Fantastic, hopefully some of the technology created between both developers will filter its way into ROF or its future!! :D

#317 FlyingShark

FlyingShark

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:15

Fantastic, hopefully some of the technology created between both developers will filter its way into ROF or its future!! :D
I'm sure it will.

:S!:

You can vote my post up by clicking the green arrow on the right.

#318 samanthin

samanthin

Posted 23 December 2012 - 22:04

hi CaK_TozziFan I am new here, like it so much. :)

#319 Merder

Merder
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:52

CLOD was a bomb, so I am anxious to say the least.
I hope this bodes well.

#320 Eckhart

Eckhart

Posted 26 December 2012 - 23:37

I read somewhere in Jason's announcement that there won't be any devicelink function for BOS at the time of release. It is certainly not their priority but how about including it into the development.

IL-2 had the "wonder woman" view and a devicelink function which made it possible to build a functional cockpit.

There aren't many cockpit builders out there. But consider the number of sophisticated cockpits already shown on some threads for ROF (Sid's cockpit for example).
And there are many professional cockpit builders out there for those who don't have those skills like me ( I am an unconditional fan of "Schreinerschmid"…the Rolls-Royce..ahem BMW of the flightsim hardware). One day I hope to be able to get one of those and to use it, hopefully, with BOS… ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users