#161 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 11 December 2012 - 22:08

LOL

:S!:

#162 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 11 December 2012 - 22:10

Well, in light of actually reading the subject of the thread, I will still be in my Yak 1, above 5000 meters, but not over Moscow, over Stalingrad… :lol:
:S!: MJ

P.S. Thanks Tom! :P

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#163 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 11 December 2012 - 22:14

CloD's demise had nothing to do with Ubisoft. And I have all the faigh in the technical staff of 1C's development team, as well.

Although I don't know all the details of what happened with CloD. I'm quite confident when I say it failed because of poor business management, design decisions, development priorities, and project leading.

777 Can offer them the dreamteam. Jason knows very well to manage such a business, reaching out to the customers, and balancing paywaye with all-important fixes with new free features. He has managed to walk a very fine line with ROF, that allowed it to stay alive.

I am sure Han is the best project manager you can think of. He has never failed to keep the team focused and moving in the right direction.

And don't forget Viks and Loft.

If anyone can tackle this project and make the best of this merger, it's them.

#164 ollivier-berry

ollivier-berry

Posted 11 December 2012 - 22:16

wicked wicked wicked, it will be a great tough amazing adventure to make this, god bless u and long life to your crew,
Olliver From St Malo

#165 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 11 December 2012 - 22:17

Other than to say we are not putting ROF on a shelf to be forgotten. Right now we still have our current plans for ROF to accomplish.

Jason

I really hope so!!
…and praying for no slow down in ROF development…

#166 Buster2

Buster2

Posted 11 December 2012 - 22:29

Real mixed feelings here. I don't fly RoF much, but I've bought nearly every plane and have pre-ordered the map. So, don't think I don't respect 777 abilities, but the CoD engine was incredible for immersion, and I'm very sad to see it die. I do a bit of work in this genre, and it was stunning to see how many unique objects could be displayed in a space. It's the difference between fighting to defend a home and fighting just because… The CoD engine wasn't smoke and mirrors. Though, to the score-keepers, I'm sure it was a frustrating piece of software. In the end, I'm glad Jason's management will touch WW2 Sims, and I hope the WWI purists continue to be happy with the care given to their niche. But I'm very sad for the death of that "other" vision. It was closer to my own.

#167 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 11 December 2012 - 22:29

Other than to say we are not putting ROF on a shelf to be forgotten. Right now we still have our current plans for ROF to accomplish.

Jason

I really hope so!!

The partnership may actually speed up ROF development and/or lead to innovations that enhance ROF gameplay; in ways otherwise unachievable or otherwise cost prohibitive. I can understand that members of the ROF community are fearful of the unknown quantities. Still, We can have a great day, a good day, or a bad day. Until there is a real tangible problem, the ROF community might as well have a great day. What is done is done, what is remains, what will be is yet to come. The IL2 franchise is getting a new lease on life and 1C is partnering up with a highly experienced team, a team with significant and proven experience in turning around a faltering flight sim; great news, on a great day.
;)

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#168 Stick-95

Stick-95

Posted 11 December 2012 - 22:54

Congrats to both 1C and 777. You have your work cut out for you but if anyone can pull this off you can. The 777 business model, if adopted to the new sim, could keep things running for years. Jason, you have a very dedicated following, though sometimes also very picky (would you have it any other way?). With the new genre the fan base will only get larger.

Cheers to all! :S!:

#169 Huetz

Huetz

Posted 11 December 2012 - 22:55

As far as new content for BoS is concerned… don't you guys think that a lot of the work going into an ETO WW2 start can be reused/tuned for a Eastern Front in RoF?

Not planes and units, but I take a fair ammount of scenery, ground textures, architecture could be reused.

Also, what Bender said. I was more worried about 777 actually running out of interesting planes that generate enough sales to keep the project going rather than them abandoning RoF. With a similar business model on a WW2 game, the monetary possibilities for RoF increase as they can pull money over from that project to keep RoF going.

Look at it as an investment. Also with the limited scope of planeset available in a particular theater, more could come out of this in terms of theaters than we can even imagine now. Think of fighting the Japanese over Burma as an expansion in RoF quality for example.

#170 MarcoRossolini

MarcoRossolini
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 11 December 2012 - 23:02

Crap, I find myself with too much choice now, World War 1 and the Eastern front (my favourite front of WWII now) and specifically Stalingrad. Yay!

I do feel like RoF may be put on the backburner eventually but I must say it is getting older now (I mean, cmon, it's 3 years now) so I'm happy that there is something very new to look forward to. You will need to make sure that justice is done to the battle though ;)

#171 Sylvis

Sylvis

Posted 11 December 2012 - 23:06

I'm sorry you are choosing to remove the focus from developing RoF, it was a good run.

#172 Bf-110

Bf-110

Posted 11 December 2012 - 23:16

Awesome news!People are too pessimist.I believe now RoF might absorb the remaining IL2 fans and if 1C is still on its fit (not nearly broke) then RoF development will not be threated by financial problems.

…and deserves better than to be infamous for Cliffs of Dover.
I pray the Lord BoS will not share CoD performance ?!? Image
That is one of the worst optimized game I ever saw.
You need some super-computer to make it playable.

I already imagine… :idea: ability to share sceneries (and
planes?) between Rof and BoS, ahhh…. :P

Maybe finally I'll be able to play Cliffs of Dover with a satisfactory performance and graphics!
About merging contents,that would be VERY interesting,not because I dream shooting down a Nieuport with a Bf-109 (would be epic) but because despite the time gap,both WWs were fought at the same locations (France,England,Russia,Belgium…) (LONDON MAP FOR ROF) and WWI equipment was still being used by a hand of countries when WWII broke off (FT-17,Hotchkiss…).

#173 NickM

NickM

Posted 11 December 2012 - 23:38

Good news!

Good luck!

(now fix the RoF FMs!)

#174 arthursmedley

arthursmedley

Posted 11 December 2012 - 23:56

Jason

I really hope so!!

The partnership may actually speed up ROF development and/or lead to innovations that enhance ROF gameplay; in ways otherwise unachievable or otherwise cost prohibitive. I can understand that members of the ROF community are fearful of the unknown quantities. Still, We can have a great day, a good day, or a bad day. Until there is a real tangible problem, the ROF community might as well have a great day. What is done is done, what is remains, what will be is yet to come. The IL2 franchise is getting a new lease on life and 1C is partnering up with a highly experienced team, a team with significant and proven experience in turning around a faltering flight sim; great news, on a great day.
;)

I agree. I think this is great news and a win-win situation for us all.

#175 Scott_Steiner

Scott_Steiner
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 11 December 2012 - 23:57

As long as it uses the Digital Nature engine, I am sure it will be amazing.

#176 KiwiPete

KiwiPete

Posted 12 December 2012 - 00:03

I trust that the quality of 777 and the development team are applied to the vision of 1C for the next WWII flight sim. I've not been a fan of CoD but had high expectations based on the following of the IL community - felt let down.

Good luck to both companies. I for one look forward to seeing the quality and experience of your releases over time!

#177 vonu

vonu

Posted 12 December 2012 - 00:03

As someone with no interest whatsoever in IL2, I have mixed feelings about this. I know it makes business sense for 777 and I wish them the best of luck with the venture. But really, another WW2 sim? (yawn)

I'll happily continue to support RoF if 777 continue to develop it, but, sorry guys, I won't be investing in BoS. It's not the planes, but the whole historical period has been done to death.

Is there no-one who can come up with a really interesting flight sim campaign? A WW1 Italian theatre? The Eastern Front? Even the Spanish Civil War? Yeah, I know. They're not good business propositions.

Reality sucks.

#178 HippyDruid

HippyDruid

Posted 12 December 2012 - 00:05

How very exciting!!
That's a lot of talented people in one place.
I can't wait to see what you lot come up with.

Good move Jason! :)

#179 Bf-110

Bf-110

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:22

I'll happily continue to support RoF if 777 continue to develop it, but, sorry guys, I won't be investing in BoS. It's not the planes, but the whole historical period has been done to death.

Is there no-one who can come up with a really interesting flight sim campaign? A WW1 Italian theatre? The Eastern Front? Even the Spanish Civil War? Yeah, I know. They're not good business propositions.

Reality sucks.

With new graphics WWII will get a little more interesting.Now,if they focus on neglected armies and air forces (Poland,France and Italy) instead of the old "Fw-190s vs P-51 at Normandy" theme,then it will get pretty EPIC!

Still miss a Cold War sim.
Can they…?YESYESYESYES?????

#180 Sylvis

Sylvis

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:46

Not that big a theatre fore a cold war plane versus plane simulator, but I'm sure you'll have fun dumping plant toxins over Korea if you are in to that. :lol: US vs USSR would not be a simulator as it never happened, and the spy-planes actually shot down over Europe you can count on about one hand.

#181 Dressedwings

Dressedwings
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:11

Holy…

How is this going to work? How are they going to divide the team for BoS and RoF? I sincerely hope this sim hasn't been psuhed to the side.

TOeIhAe.png

^CHECK THE LINK^

#182 thx1138

thx1138

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:51

With Cpt. Williams on board I can see the pacific on the horion ;)

And that's what I'm afraid of. I Love carrier aviation, and if they do it as well as ROF now, I'll be hooked.

#183 Bf-110

Bf-110

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:51

Not that big a theatre fore a cold war plane versus plane simulator, but I'm sure you'll have fun dumping plant toxins over Korea if you are in to that. :lol: US vs USSR would not be a simulator as it never happened, and the spy-planes actually shot down over Europe you can count on about one hand.

That's why.Make the thing get real!It would be a blast (a good one at least)!

*EDIT* BTW,I noticed that there was no mention about Oleg Maddox.Is he going to be in the team or he's not being part of it?

#184 thx1138

thx1138

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:09

That's why.Make the … get real!It would be a blast (a good one)!

How about Korean war ???

Imagine F 86's and MiG 15's fighting overhead while A 1's and Il 10's and Yak 9's, P 51's with F 4U's duke it out at low level. (and I bet it's more of a niche market than WW I too…)

Now that would be epic !

#185 Katsai

Katsai

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:12

After all the crying poor over the support of RoF, Jason, you are now throwing money at the clowns that messed up CloD. Looks like its all going down the toilet. 2nd eleven left to mess up RoF, and the rest work on another WW11 sim theatre that few are interested in. Meanwhile all of us interested more in the European theatre have nowhere left to go, except back to the original IL2. Clod has been abandoned and will die, There will be no ww11 aircraft for the RoF Channel map which was an obvious move. Just a new game in a forgotten theatre of war.

As an aside, I fly with a small australian co-op group, Tues and Thurs. Tuesdays was supposed to be RoF but there have been so many internet/server issues with RoF that the possibility of flying IL2 only has been raised.

I will support where I can, but I fear we are now in a whole series of dead ends. Enjoy what you can while you can guys, but it looks like future development of your current investments will be thin on the ground.

I apologise for being negative but I have my fears, and I cannot, in all honesty, join in the general rejoicing. I will be happy to be proved wrong.
Salute
Katsai

#186 redcoat22

redcoat22

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:28

It's odd that I feel so sad about a ROF announcement, this has never happened before. As the evening marches along I am increasingly sad to think about this

#187 Dressedwings

Dressedwings
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:40

Katsai I feel the same. I would much rather at least have a finished RoF before they delve into a new project. I too hope to be proven wrong.

TOeIhAe.png

^CHECK THE LINK^

#188 BuddyWoof

BuddyWoof

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:42

Will this use Digital Nature engine or the 1C engine or is it a brand spankin' new simulator engine??

#189 TinyBanzai

TinyBanzai

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:47

Will this use Digital Nature engine or the 1C engine or is it a brand spankin' new simulator engine??

AFAIK, C1 will use 777's engine.

#190 BuddyWoof

BuddyWoof

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:53

I just read Jason's FAQ. Looks like it will be Digital Nature based which is awesome. Interactive/Clickable pits? I hope so! :)

#191 stelr

stelr

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:10

You had me at WWII! Indeed this is the best news in years. I just hope 1C appreciates what they are getting in your capable, proven team.

My best wishes and full support in this endeavor.

Keep on keeping on 777!

#192 WWSittingduck

WWSittingduck

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:20

Had the news been that 777 bought out 1C (like they did nqueb), I would feel much better about this.

I wouldnt trust 1C a bit.

Old Fokkers Squad

#193 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester
  • LocationRedlands, California

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:21

AFAIK, C1 will use 777's engine.

It's 1C Game Studios

#194 Bf-110

Bf-110

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:23

Had the news been that 777 bought out 1C (like they did nqueb), I would feel much better about this.

I wouldnt trust 1C a bit.

777 bought 1C? :o
I thought 777 was struggling to keep running and 1C was swimming in money from the classic IL2…

Again,will be Oleg Maddox involved on the project?IDK if Maddox Games still exist.

#195 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:54

Katsai I would much rather at least have a finished RoF before they delve into a new project.

But what is a finished RoF? People are asking for more and more early aircraft, but really the Devs know that increasingly obscure early aircraft are not products that will sell a lot.

There are so many things that the hard core historian simmers would demand.

This way , even if the sim is the second priority, it might be able to continue gradually filling out and completing.

#196 LETCHIK

LETCHIK

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:30

I, honestly don't get it….
1C has reputation of "Kremlin dreamer", they must be very happy to get new job for next couple of years. But why 777 need this partnership?

————–

Я честно не пойму..
1С имеют репутацию "Кремлёвских мечтателей", они конечно рады получить работу на ближайшие два-три года. Но для чего это сотрудничество компании 777?

#197 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:45

Katsai I would much rather at least have a finished RoF before they delve into a new project.

But what is a finished RoF? People are asking for more and more early aircraft, but really the Devs know that increasingly obscure early aircraft are not products that will sell a lot.

There are so many things that the hard core historian simmers would demand.

This way , even if the sim is the second priority, it might be able to continue gradually filling out and completing.

How about a completed Career mode? How about maybe a Career mode that can be played in coop with a friend? How about better AI that has actual line of sight, can boom and zoom/fight using speed and altitude and doesn't repeat the exact same behavior if put in X situation, better ground war support, various flight model reviews, several of the key aircraft that should be added such as the Strutter 1 1/2 and the FE2b? How about variations on the SE5a such as the earlier lower power model with a 4 way prop? Assuming they don't add it with the channel map, how about taking off from ships?

There are a lot of things everybody wants added to Rise of Flight. If you're going to argue that there's not many out there wanting early war then why make a battle of stalingrad flight sim? How many out there are saying "Ohhhh I'm itchin' to fly a LaGG 3 and an IL-2!" I don't know about you but I would rather see a pacific theater flying Hellcats, Corsairs, Wildcats, Dauntless's and such.

#198 TheBlackPenguin

TheBlackPenguin

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:22

Cheer up :). Lets focus on the possible positives, which is now a bigger team capable of delivering content and improvements in not only content, but to the game engine itself.

Plus I'd love to see work continue on the beta campaign and keep it that way for awhile yet, until we see more activity in the ground and the air, plus more dynamism within the campaign itself. For example, you hit an airfield and destroy some hangers, they should stay destroyed until repaired, which in itself creates an order for parts that again creates a truck convoy heading to the field. You may or may not receive orders to destroy it, but within a day or two you should see it heading towards the airfield, and if destroyed the hangers remain down until another truck convoy can be dispatched.

Watch this video on an ever evolving galaxy, I think at least some of these ideas can be adapted:

Video

This is more possible with a bigger team and more income, hopefully much more than they are receiving now to the point it makes it economically viable to venture onto these things. The game engine itself can be updated and then ported back to ROF.

:S!:

#199 Blade_meister

Blade_meister

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:51

So Bender do you think RoF is dead?

Of course RoF isn't dead. Yet. It couldn't remain the centre of the devteam's attention forever. We all knew this was going to happen sooner or later.

I know nothing of 777's finances, so what follows is pure speculation, but the personal packages, the frequent sales and Jason's actual words should be enough to ring a few alarm bells. RoF simply isn't a lucrative product by itself.

We've made it very clear what we are working on and we have made it very clear that we have limited resources and we have to make tough decisions on what we can focus on update to update. And yes, without new content we have no money to operate. Just the way it is.
(emphasis mine)

Here we go again… Enumerating the same points ad nauseum:

• We should realise that we're damn lucky that NeoQB laid a solid basis by developing the Digital Nature engine, back when people still believed (read: invested big money) in a WWI flightsim.

• Then we should realise that we're damn lucky that Jason stepped in and saved the sinking ship (or crashing plane, for a more fitting analogy). You can disagree all you want with the man, wonder where the damn FM fixes are and why flying boats took precedence over the Fe2b, you name it. But if it wasn't for him, we would have been stuck in 2010 with a broken, abandoned project without even an offline mode to fly it locally.

• Now 777 have done more than what they could to keep RoF above the water (above the ground, in keeping with the analogy) and I think they deserve a break. They deserve to do more than break even. They deserve to have a big name like 1C and Il-2 Sturmovik affiliated with their superb work and make some actual money.

• These guys have proven time and time again that they love WWI and I am confident that at least some focus will remain with RoF, especially once there is more financial leeway.

So once again, we are damn lucky for this to happen. This is, bar none, the best guarantee for RoF's continued development and support. In my opinion, it was either this or bust (at least in the long run).

Thanks for your passion and your hard work, 777, now go make some actual money so you can give us a multiplayer lobby and fix the damn FMs before the centennial armistice celebrations in 2018 or even gavagai stops bitching, whatever happens first. Yes, I know that the latter will never actually happen.

P.S. I have no real interest in Il-2 BOS. I'll still buy it to support them, of course. Heck I even bought CloD. Never could bring myself to fly it, though.

Spot on , thank you Mr. Bender. Come on folks, reality check here. The ROF train is going to find the end of the line sooner or later. Of course we want it to be later, but how can we be negative or blame 777 Studios for seeing a great opportunity here. After the CLOD fiasco, the opportunity for a cutting edge WWI Sim creator(777 Studios) to join with the Mother of all WWII Sim creators (1C: Maddox, the IL2 series was dominate up until CLOD and even some of it was brilliant), who could blame them. I have to believe that this a smart financial move for 777 Studios and good for them, they deserve it. In case anyone has forgotten , this team has taken ROF from a train wreck to a Streamline highly efficient Sim, that for the most part is whole heartily dependable(please don't mention 1.027, i don't want to remember that, i deleted 1.027 as a back up and still have 1.026, ROFLMAO+Crying No More ROF.EXE, Please for the Love of God!!!)Anyway, What 777 has done is give us a ton of free upgrades, the opportunity to purchase their artistic works to expand the ROF world, but still kept the compatibility for the FTP business model to encourage player base growth. You can have it all for free with just 2 planes and have some kicks or you can have it all by purchasing what you want to make the immersion level the depth you personally want it. I just want to say thanks to Jason and 777 Studios Team for all you have done for us, the niche simmers who love to love and sometimes love to hate ROF. ROF has provide me with pleasure well in excess of what I have invested in it, it is good clean cheap(in the long run) entertainment. Please take an assessment of where ROF is now and the concerns the community has with some issues(which some of them are legit needs for revision) and pull this Sim together to be as close to your own dreams and visions of ROF perfection. All i can ask is just don't leave ROF until you all feel it is done, it is your baby after all. Thanks again for all you have done, are doing and will do for our beloved ROF!!!

One thing for all those in the community seeing negative in this new development. Jason taught me something in a rather heated debate we had earlier in the year(dammed ROF.exe!!!)He sent me a PM and told me this, "
I write all day long and sometimes I simply don't have the time and patience to sugar coat everything and after 3 years I expect the ROF community to not need that as much. Just read the words I write and don't attach any tone(emotion) to them because none is intended.

Be thankful Jason is so considerate to keep us all abreast of what he and the Team of 777 Studios is doing and don't read anything into it.

To all our ROF customers and fans - this is not the end of ROF development or new content. Please do not panic. We are still working on the details and we will inform you once we have them. Right now all current releases we promised are on schedule.

If nothing else we are for sure going to receive everything we have been promised and paid for, but I honestly believe their Road Map for 2013 will reveal more. We just have to be patient and trust Jason and the people who make up the 777 Team. I trust them, they haven't steared me wrong yet( except 1.027, Loft, what the Hell happened in 1.027 ?? OH Never Mind, I Don't Want To Know!!!!)Nuff Said!!!

Congrats 777 and Jason, I look forward to ROFs continued developments and also to IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad. WWWWOOOOOOHHHHHOOOOOOOO!!! I LOve WWII Flight Sims also.

#200 J5_Rumey

J5_Rumey

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:54

Good luck with new project! I hope it goes well. I have zero interest in a WWII flight sim but will continue to support RoF. I really do hope this will be positive for RoF and its loyal following as well as 777.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users