Photo
- - - - -

777 Studios partners with 1C to develop Battle of Stalingrad

• Please log in to reply
364 replies to this topic

#121 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 11 December 2012 - 18:20

Why? Because of the interest to be generated in WW 1 by the centennial commemorations. There will be a lot going on in the 2014 - 2018 timeframe. A great opportunity to capture a new wave of WW 1 flight simulation participants as the spotlight is focused on the Great War and its legacy.

Good point.

#122 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 11 December 2012 - 18:25

Since my primary interest is WWI (yes, I flew IL-2 and Falcon 4.0, too; been there, done that) my only hope is that this merger provides financial stability so that RoF can continue to develop.

But I seriously doubt that's what is going to happen. The only forecast I see is that all of the stuff that was promised will be delivered but there is no road map being offered beyond that.

Since I've bought and pre-ordered everything offered, that promise is comforting but not at all reassuring for the long haul.

My prediction: RoF will become the poor stepchild (as Dawn of Aces was to Warbirds) and will soon die of developer neglect.

I hope I'm wrong.

I am never convinced any company puts its customers (or its employees) first anymore and I suspect I may be seeing the crew boarding the lifeboats and leaving the passengers behind aboard the derelict ship.

We'll see….

I doubt RoF will die of neglect.

Why? Because of the interest to be generated in WW 1 by the centennial commemorations. There will be a lot going on in the 2014 - 2018 timeframe. A great opportunity to capture a new wave of WW 1 flight simulation participants as the spotlight is focused on the Great War and its legacy.

Well, right now we are well into the 150th anniversary of the American Civil War (which really is my primary military history interest) and we don't seem overwhelmed by Battle of Gettysburg sims.

I hope you're right, but I'm afraid this is what I'm hearing for RoF in the not too distant future:

#123 realCallahan

realCallahan

Posted 11 December 2012 - 18:34

Why can`t I contact 777 studios personally and tell them what`s up? :D

Kidding but you see some guys here are very very unsure and afraid. Can anybody give a statemnt here?

Regards,
Lehmann

#124 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 11 December 2012 - 18:45

HT, the people who would make a good Civil War sim are probably too busy making movies.

The toughest part of my job is dealing with incompetent clowns who think they're good at their job.

Free Plank!

#125 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 11 December 2012 - 18:49

LOL, too true. Saw "Lincoln" last weekend and it is magnificent. ;)

#126 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 11 December 2012 - 19:16

Since my primary interest is WWI (yes, I flew IL-2 and Falcon 4.0, too; been there, done that) my only hope is that this merger provides financial stability so that RoF can continue to develop.

But I seriously doubt that's what is going to happen. The only forecast I see is that all of the stuff that was promised will be delivered but there is no road map being offered beyond that.

Since I've bought and pre-ordered everything offered, that promise is comforting but not at all reassuring for the long haul.

My prediction: RoF will become the poor stepchild (as Dawn of Aces was to Warbirds) and will soon die of developer neglect.

I hope I'm wrong.

I am never convinced any company puts its customers (or its employees) first anymore and I suspect I may be seeing the crew boarding the lifeboats and leaving the passengers behind aboard the derelict ship.

We'll see….

This could be also my words, I'm afraid that, with there limited resources, from now on they will focusing on the WW2 development. It is a bad day for me, as a WW1 combat flysim.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#127 Oldsimmer

Oldsimmer

Posted 11 December 2012 - 19:20

I can think of many WW2 sims + add-on's and only two good WW1 sims at the moment.

For me it's WW1.

#128 SYN_Mike77

SYN_Mike77

Posted 11 December 2012 - 19:24

Here you go for your Civil war sim fix!

http://www.scourgeof...com/index.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.scourgeof...com/index.shtml

some qwips:

Reviewers:
ИThe most obvious comparison is with the Total War series, and in my view Gettysburg is greatly superior.’

- Martin James (kriegsspiel review)

И“Napoleon: Total War” is a game designed to be consumed, while “Scourge of War: Gettysburg” is a game designed to be played.’

- Mark Mullen (Journal of Gaming and Virtual Worlds Volume 3 Number 2)

ИTruly, this game was written with the Historian in mind. The level of detail is flat-out stunning.’

- Bryce T. Valentine (Armchair General)

И… the realistic ramifications of multiplayer in Scourge of War: Gettysburg should make any strategy gamer salivate.’

- James Allen (Out of Eight)

#129 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 11 December 2012 - 19:37

LOL, yes, Mike, I've played the Demo. It's a good strategy game. RoF has spoiled me to great graphics, though :mrgreen:

Now, if we could just get all that infantry into RoF, it might look like WWI! :o

#130 Hellbender

Hellbender
  • LocationMadrid, Spain (originally Brussels, Belgium)

Posted 11 December 2012 - 19:38

This is excellent news!

I'm no longer fearful of seeing RoF's demise happen within the next year or two. I'd much rather see it become a side-project to big brother Il-2, rather than die outright and have a shattered community try and pick up the pieces.

J5_Hellbender

#131 TinyBanzai

TinyBanzai

Posted 11 December 2012 - 19:42

This is excellent news!

I'm no longer fearful of seeing RoF's demise happen within the next year or two. I'd much rather see it become a side-project to big brother Il-2, rather than die outright and have a shattered community try and pick up the pieces.

You mean like what happened to CLoD? If only I had your confidence.

#132 Pieppers

Pieppers

Posted 11 December 2012 - 19:45

Greathest news ever for you Jason and for us the flight sims fan….finaly the IL-2 franchise will receive the push of a greath flight sims deseigner this is wath i dream on for year now since i play rise of flight…..greath move for you Jason and your studio…I cant wait to get more news about this :shock: :shock: :shock:

and sory for my english all its not my first language :D

#133 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 11 December 2012 - 19:51

This is excellent news!

Bender, go to your English dictionary and look up the term "stepchild."

Mine says: "one that fails to receive proper care or attention"

Sorry, but I don't find all this very hopeful.

Those who would rather have a better WWII sim are the ones jumping for joy.

Not us WWI purists. I'm afraid I see RoF becoming a neglected "stepchild." :cry:

I saw this happen when IEN neglected Dawn of Aces to put all its emphasis on Warbirds. Dawn of Aces finally died of neglect.

#134 Hellbender

Hellbender

Posted 11 December 2012 - 19:56

As I've said in my previous post, I'd rather have a stepchild than a dead child.

J5_Hellbender

#135 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester
  • LocationRedlands, California

Posted 11 December 2012 - 20:07

Lol Trooper, we thought that about COD as well. ;)

Ubisoft is not involved. Jason has stated that on the new forums.

#136 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 11 December 2012 - 20:11

So Bender do you think RoF is dead?
First see what going to happen on WW1 RoF scene, got nearly everything, but now I'm holding Paypal closed for RoF! How can you manage with a small team and limited budget, Rof and the development of a new WW2 game? I know Jason has proved he can do this, but still only time can tell us.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#137 Kestrel_86

Kestrel_86

Posted 11 December 2012 - 20:21

How is this good news and a reason to celebrate for ROF? All the WWII sim fans are happy but for those who are not it isn't good news at all. There can't be much development going on in ROF now if resources are limited and there is a new sim to be developed.

#138 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 December 2012 - 20:23

Here We Go! Here We Go! Here We Go!
WooooHoooo!
Cheers,
Spag. :)

edit: I posted before reading the last page of posts. I was surprised to read the doomsday sayers posts, I would not have thought there would be any.

A bigger team of boffins will help to quicken any new projects.
A bigger client base (WW2 fans) will enable more money to be spent on all sims.
A bigger client base will bring more fans to RoF.
It would be foolish of 777 or any new team, to stop research and development on a sim (RoF) that is bringing in money and has the potential to make more in the future with a bigger client base.

Bite off more than you can chew.

Then chew like Hell ! ! !

#139 TheBlackPenguin

TheBlackPenguin

Posted 11 December 2012 - 20:23

I have faith Jason and his team will not neglect or have ROF become a stepchild, even if it became overshadowed by the Ww2 sim.

I kind of hope after the Russian front they can go back and convert the Clod models into the newer format and then give it the attention it needs and deserves.

Its also possible with more development and more money going into the graphical engine these will be ported back to ROF and help to continue its improvement. But, a lot of that is up to *us* and the sim community to make it all happen.

We shall see what the 2013 road map is for ROF, I presume that's going to be incoming fairly shortly. 777 team, I hope you prove the skeptics wrong,

#140 WhoCares

WhoCares

Posted 11 December 2012 - 20:25

My share of "Kaffeesatzleserei" ~ "reading the tea leaves"

I imagine some kind of transition phase that may see some more updates and improvements to RoF. I could think of some FM reviews done by the new guys to familiarize with the engine. Maybe also some new birds to keep thing going.
On the other hand I see most modelers starting 2013 full steam for BoS - just think of the whole environment (I would assume a multitude of the channel map in size), equipment, and - last but not least - plane models (can't imagine them releasing two planes at start).
If we are lucky, RoF may see one/some more engine iterations.
But I bet everybodies monthly salary (if I am wrong you can keep it, if I am right you will have to transfer it to me) that there will be the point where the divergence with the improvements for BoS will make it incompatible with the existing RoF content, where modelers, programmers, flight model experts,,, will have to work 110% of their time on BoS - at least at crunch time nearing the BoS release, and early after.
And hoping/assuming that BoS becomes a big success, the bigger audience, market, novelity,,, will keep the focus on BoS for the time being - business.

Sounds sad for the future of RoF? Maybe. But eventually they have to move on.
But I think they are also working on an option for RoF - and that may be you. They have already started to open the RoF content creation for the community with the ROF Buildings and Blocks SDK Document and Examples. I imagine that in the future they will open this path also for new planes. Even though I assume that they would still keep a hand on top of it to ensure quality and "compatibility" with the performance of the available planes.
(and no, you don't want me to create new content for RoF; so it is really up to you!)

But then again, all those phantasies, dreams, soothsaying - who cares if this is the end of RoFs future, with the end of the world coming next week.
But who knows, if we see a next year, maybe there is also some hope for RoF :lol:

#141 rolikiraly

rolikiraly

Posted 11 December 2012 - 20:34

I for one would be glad to have a good WW2 simulator (practically any theatre) even if my current PC probably wouldn't handle it. Everybody is saying we have enough WW2 simulators. True, but actually there isn't a single one on the level of RoF, not to say above :shock:

#142 SC/JG_Oesau

SC/JG_Oesau

Posted 11 December 2012 - 20:43

Lol Trooper, we thought that about COD as well. ;)

Ubisoft is not involved. Jason has stated that on the new forums.

But to be honest, Ubisoft had nothing to do with the end of CLOD - I wont go into it but there was a lot of under the covers dramas with BoB/CLOD/BOS that have gotten us to where we are today (for better or worse).

Interested in seeing what can be done with the digital nature engine and BOS - esp interested in object numbders limit and what that will mean to the rendering of Stalingrad.

#143 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 11 December 2012 - 20:43

Jason, I hope you have controlling interest. I knew this day would come as it was required to keep moving the company forward. You have earned this future success.

On a personal note, I am a Great War guy, so I hope a ROF centric team will remain to keep building ROF.

Long live ROF

I feel the same here.

I feel pretty much the same. I've always been interested in bi-planes and early aviation.

I have no real interest in most WW2 aviation (tho a pacific theater sim with mustangs and zeros might be intriguing).

I saw this coming awhile back. The choice to focus on the Channel was one of the things that got me to thinking that the issue was more about the Digital Nature engine and it's viability to other companies. That's where the money is after all, in selling your game engine for use in other games. Making planes keeps the payroll paid, but there's no big payout like there is when the game engine is licensed to another product.

I'm happy to have ordered everything available for RoF, tho I care very little for the planes released since the Gotha..haven't even flown most of them more than a time or two. I bought everything mainly to sponsor more RoF development that would hopefully address the things I WAS interested in.

That said, I'm happy for Han and the crew, as well as for those that enjoy IL-2 (bought it, tried it, deleted it same day), and for Jason who has worked hard to develop the Sim industry in a very difficult economy. Unhappy news for me tho, since RoF is where my interest is.

In the end, however, it's best to try and be optimistic…
From all my interactions with Han, Loft, and Jason, I've come to be very confident in their abilities and focus.
Perhaps Peter is right that engine development will spill over into RoF in the way of additions and optimizations (perhaps the AI will finally get a solid upgrade!).

#144 Der.Mo

Der.Mo

Posted 11 December 2012 - 20:46

At first i was abit worried. A small team of WW1 devs now moving to a total different theater while there is so much left to do in their old house…

Might be a test of patience for us WW1 buffs..Bump

Maybe the situation can be compared with a family situation:

A new child is born into the family and the first born child has to step back for a while and now has
to learn that it must share the attention and love of his parents with another child.
At first it´s a hard task but in the end the entire family wins..

For example the 1C devs have alot of experience,Il2 had a good AI and so on.

Thinking about the situation that buying stuff in the RoF store now means supporting a WWII game while we have to wait for a good WWI career,or two seaters, or realistic FM or..is not very satisfying but maybe inthe end we all will win..i hope

#145 CrazySchmidt

CrazySchmidt

Posted 11 December 2012 - 20:52

Best news regarding gaming since I bought RoF.

Can't wait to fly WWII birds in this environment.

Outstanding news!!!

Cheers, CS. :)

#146 Hellbender

Hellbender

Posted 11 December 2012 - 20:56

So Bender do you think RoF is dead?

Of course RoF isn't dead. Yet. It couldn't remain the centre of the devteam's attention forever. We all knew this was going to happen sooner or later.

I know nothing of 777's finances, so what follows is pure speculation, but the personal packages, the frequent sales and Jason's actual words should be enough to ring a few alarm bells. RoF simply isn't a lucrative product by itself.

We've made it very clear what we are working on and we have made it very clear that we have limited resources and we have to make tough decisions on what we can focus on update to update. And yes, without new content we have no money to operate. Just the way it is.
(emphasis mine)

Here we go again… Enumerating the same points ad nauseum:

• We should realise that we're damn lucky that NeoQB laid a solid basis by developing the Digital Nature engine, back when people still believed (read: invested big money) in a WWI flightsim.
  • Then we should realise that we're damn lucky that Jason stepped in and saved the sinking ship (or crashing plane, for a more fitting analogy). You can disagree all you want with the man, wonder where the damn FM fixes are and why flying boats took precedence over the Fe2b, you name it. But if it wasn't for him, we would have been stuck in 2010 with a broken, abandoned project without even an offline mode to fly it locally.
  • Now 777 have done more than what they could to keep RoF above the water (above the ground, in keeping with the analogy) and I think they deserve a break. They deserve to do more than break even. They deserve to have a big name like 1C and Il-2 Sturmovik affiliated with their superb work and make some actual money.
  • These guys have proven time and time again that they love WWI and I am confident that at least some focus will remain with RoF, especially once there is more financial leeway.

So once again, we are damn lucky for this to happen. This is, bar none, the best guarantee for RoF's continued development and support. In my opinion, it was either this or bust (at least in the long run).

Thanks for your passion and your hard work, 777, now go make some actual money so you can give us a multiplayer lobby and fix the damn FMs before the centennial armistice celebrations in 2018 or even gavagai stops bitching, whatever happens first. Yes, I know that the latter will never actually happen.

P.S. I have no real interest in Il-2 BOS. I'll still buy it to support them, of course. Heck I even bought CloD. Never could bring myself to fly it, though.

J5_Hellbender

#147 J30_Ricky

J30_Ricky

Posted 11 December 2012 - 21:03

I am not happy with this move. I am interested in WWI only and I bought all content of RoF to support future work of RoF and not IL2. With a small team you cant work on both projects and we all know that IL2 has now the highest priority and new content for RoF will be stopped. I am sure that after the channel map and the 3 promised planes we will not see any new RoF content in the near future. So why do I spend money in a channel map with only two seaplanes? If you prove me wrong am happy but I will not support IL2 or preorder any content if I dont see RoF will continue as in this year.

#148 FVK

FVK

Posted 11 December 2012 - 21:09

Jason,

Your leadership worked with ROF and I think it will do great for the Stalingrad game. A year and a half ago I was still pretty frustrated at the state of ROF, but I'll eat my words and say they no longer apply. You've done great and I think that this is the right move for your target audience.

I have Il-2:COD and it sucks. Stalingrad will be better because of the three sevens. And with Stalingrad will come the Pacific, Western Europe, and Africa. This way the original (stated by 1C at least) intent of the game can be realized, with its modular design.

Good luck! :x

#149 slyfutret

slyfutret

Posted 11 December 2012 - 21:14

Wow, I really don’t know what to think about this.

On one hand, as one of the many who threw their money down the drain with Cliffs of Dover and deeply regretted it, I’d have to say that getting a competent partner on board like 777 is the only way I would ever have contemplated touching an IL2 product with a bargepole ever again.

Therefore, from an 1C perspective its brilliant, way to go, you’ve just won your get out of jail free card, how did you manage that??? :?

That said, I truly fear for ROF as I find it difficult to see how 777 are going to have the time to pay anything other than lip service to Rise of Flight. However, for those who are considering stopping the preorders I’d ask that you hold off with the boycotts until we see evidence of a degradation of work on ROF, as that route is one sure fire way of killing off our sim as you could very easily create an argument for ceasing the very work you are protesting to keep, in my opinion.

In the absence of a crystal ball, I’m just gonna trust that Jason knows what he and 777 Studios are doing with this, as he and the team have done pretty good with ROF. I just hope that 777 take a commanding role in this project and don’t allow themselves to feel in any way awestruck by their new partners, 777 are the one’s who have produced a first rate award winning sim (as opposed to having just walked away from an accident). 1C are the people who need to up their game here, don’t lose sight of that.

Good luck with the new project Jason, if anyone can resuscitate IL2 with a bit of the old 777 magic you guys can. I trust us canvas jockeys can continue to look forward to the 777 love as well in the coming years too. After all, you never forget your first love, eh! :S!:

#150 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 11 December 2012 - 21:16

With Cpt. Williams on board I can see the pacific on the horion ;)

#151 SYN_Per

SYN_Per

Posted 11 December 2012 - 21:20

Best of luck with this new venture 777 and 1C!

#152 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 11 December 2012 - 21:21

With Cpt. Williams on board I can see the pacific on the horion ;)

Hell yeah to Hellcats! :D :S!: MJ

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#153 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 11 December 2012 - 21:25

I think you will be waiting several years before and if they go in that direction.. remember, before that happens they will have to give us the Mediteranean theatre.. Right Jason?.. lol!!!

#154 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 11 December 2012 - 21:33

I think that the Battle of Moscow will be a fun sim. I am sad that the sim isn't covering a time period when Yak 3s were in the air. :cry: The Yak 1 will be a challenge, particularly when facing the BF 109f machines. :? I will have to stay high, above 5000 meters, never fight below 3000 meters, so as to stay out of the low level knife fights…Let me guess, the Germans will all be at tree top level, flat scissoring their way to victory? :P The Germans are going to have a good time of it, until the sim covers 1944, then it will be time for my Yak 3 and time for the BF-109 fanatics to cry.:lol:

:S!: MJ

#155 jaydog

jaydog

Posted 11 December 2012 - 21:45

This it great news! Not long ago I posted something about 777 introducing a WW2 flight sim and now it's in development! Very exciting.

#156 thenorm

thenorm

Posted 11 December 2012 - 22:01

Misha, its Stalingrad, not Moscow.

#157 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 11 December 2012 - 22:02

Hand him his meds, pls… :mrgreen:

#158 DKoor

DKoor

Posted 11 December 2012 - 22:04

Wow, what a great news!

#159 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 11 December 2012 - 22:04

:lol: Yes, reading is Fundamental…or so they say! ;) :S!: MJ

Thank you for the catch! I am going six things at once and I, for some reason thought this was a Battle of Moscow sim… :oops:

#160 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 11 December 2012 - 22:07

Hand him his meds, pls… :mrgreen:

I keep taking my Flintstones…but no change…. :lol: I seriously need more sleep and to stop doing six things at once, especially when I am not doing five out of the six things incorrectly…:P

:S!: MJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users