Photo
- - - - -

AI visibility range? -question for modders

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 ParachuteProne

ParachuteProne

Posted 05 December 2012 - 16:46

Is it possible to randomize the visibilty range of the AI pilots individually? say recalculate it every 2 minutes or so ? or is a hard coded thing?
Would be nice for the range to vary from about 25 yards to Max so every once and a while you could bounce an enemy, making speed more of a game factor.

#2 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 13 December 2012 - 18:56

I would love to see it tied to AI pilot quality with a bit of a random element added in. This would make rookies easier to bounce than aces.

#3 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 13 December 2012 - 21:20

I think I might be able to do that. It looks like the AI already has settings for that, but the difference between Ace and Novice is insignficant.

———

Just tested, yes, I can do it.

Can you suggest two things for me?

1. The distance at which novice-ace detect a threat.
2. The frequency with which they perform the threat check.

#4 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 13 December 2012 - 22:29

If there is a difference between ace and novice in terms of visibility range than it is easily changed in a mission. But I think there isn't any difference?

Is it possible to mod that Gav? Because that would be a nice improvement. Let's say novice will only notice you from 100 m or so. A normal AI only at 500 m etc.
In a mission I can then set level to "novice" for a fighter while cruising and only change it to "normal" every 5 min for 20 seconds or so. Maybe even use a random timer.
Once you get within 100-200 the mission can detect that so the AI will stick to "normal" or higher or it would be a bit too easy a dogfight :).

#5 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 13 December 2012 - 22:36

This is exciting. Whatever the range is, it would have to be possible to get a really good bounce on an enemy before they trigger and try to avoid you.

#6 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 13 December 2012 - 22:58

Ok, this is a first attempt. It might be a little too easy. I can regularly bounce the novice and normal AI with a 500m altitude advantage in the QMB.
I'm still figuring out exactly what does what. Let me know if you see any strange behavior while I continue to work on it.

Put the attached folder in luascripts.

——–

edit to remove the old file.

#7 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 13 December 2012 - 23:10

Wow, exciting work being done here..

#8 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 13 December 2012 - 23:11

Great idea!

#9 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:19

I flew about 10 quick missions against an Albatros Novice AI in my Se5a with an altitude advantage, I was able to kill him each time obviously but it seemed rather varied when he would realize I was there and maneuver out of the way, this definitely improves things though.

What I wonder, if you have a full squad of a few novices and a few vets and an ace if they'll all break off and maneuver at different times when you engage instead of the typical uniform split or does the leader upon sighting an enemy give an order that causes the lower ranks to split as well?

#10 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:40

I don't know yet RP. I think I figured out what more of the parameters do. That first file I posted wouldn't work well for career play or PWCG.

#11 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:12

Well good work anyways.

#12 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:29

I'm improving it right now. You'll have something better soon. :)

I can make the AI act like its ADD with a super short attention span. Very funny. That's the trick to making it possible to bounce them.

#13 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:01

Ok, I can get some interesting results by adjusting a few things.

The most important one is called "CriticalTargetCaptureTime." That sets the number of seconds that the AI remains interested in a target.

Once that time has elapsed, the AI goes into "SituationTimeout." The AI pauses and does nothing for the specified number of seconds.

"ThreatThreshold" specifies the distance at which an enemy aircraft triggers a defensive response.

With a lot of adjustment from the default setting, I can make the novice AI act confused and hopeless in a dogfight. It's pretty cool. :) I have also downgraded the awareness of the other AI levels, but the Ace will remain almost perfectly vigilant. Here are the settings:

Novice
TargetCaptureTime: 20 seconds
SituationTimeout: 12 seconds
ThreatThreshold: 100 meters

Average
TargetCaptureTime: 40 seconds
SituationTimeout: 6 seconds
ThreatThreshold: 300 meters

Veteran
TargetCaptureTime: 80 seconds
SituationTimeout: 3 seconds
ThreatThreshold: 600 meters

Ace
TargetCaptureTime: 120 seconds
SituationTimeout: 1 second
ThreatThreshold: 800 meters

Please test this out with the QMB, career mode, and PWCG, or whatever you like to do. :S!:

Attached Files

• Attached File  ai.zip   650bytes   69 downloads

#14 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:50

That's very good Gav! As I mentioned before you can do some more tweaking in a mission with this because you can actually change tha AI level for a plane during a mission. This means you can make an aircraft novice at first to simulate he's not paying attention and then when he gets attacked you change him to normal or higher so he will not be completely hopeless in the following dogfight.

#15 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:59

That's very good Gav! As I mentioned before you can do some more tweaking in a mission with this because you can actually change tha AI level for a plane during a mission. This means you can make an aircraft novice at first to simulate he's not paying attention and then when he gets attacked you change him to normal or higher so he will not be completely hopeless in the following dogfight.

So you could track an enemy from behind at novice , then watch as it passes a landmark whereat it becomes Ace and see what happens.

#16 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:44

Sounds like a potentially huge improvement to offline flying. Really would be a game changer if you could bounce novice AI.

#17 hypercop

hypercop

Posted 14 December 2012 - 13:19

who can I install the mod?

#18 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 14 December 2012 - 13:52

hypercop, just put the attached folder into Rise of Flight\data\Luascripts.

To an extent Vander. I can't make the AI completely unaware of an approaching aircraft. I can only make it forget about the threat from time to time. The effect is to make it appear that the AI might be looking for you, but is confused, loses its bearings, etc. and then you can nail it.

#19 hypercop

hypercop

Posted 14 December 2012 - 14:28

Found it. thx. Now I will try it.

#20 hypercop

hypercop

Posted 14 December 2012 - 15:03

I have put it into the folder Luascripts. I put MODS ON. I made a Fast Mission and put me into a DIII behind a novice Spad. I did not notice any difference. The spad noticed me rapidly after game start and circled on me. Then we were going down in circles.

#21 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 14 December 2012 - 15:07

That makes sense if you start right behind the AI. Try giving yourself a 500m altitude advantage, and start 1.5km apart. If you don't notice a difference that way, then the file might not be placed correctly. Anyway, that's why I set up the JSGME switcher for other mods. This is just a test and nothing final yet.

#22 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 15:20

Trying it now.

#23 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 15:42

Anything above Novice seems to notice me before I'm anywhere near range to shoot but I expect combined with Vander's idea this could be very cool.

#24 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 14 December 2012 - 15:47

Do you see a delayed evasive-reaction time for "average" versus "ace?"

#25 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 16:10

Didn't really seem that way, I tried all three alone and then I tried all three together assigned to their own squad in QMB and the novice is the only one that really seems delayed to me, the novice is definitely close to a successful bounce against a player in MP.

I didn't really notice a decrease in offensive abilities with any of them either.

#26 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 14 December 2012 - 16:15

Thanks for the feedback. I'll see if I can make the "average" a little less responsive without totally hamstringing it.

#27 hypercop

hypercop

Posted 14 December 2012 - 16:20

I did put the ai-folder in the luascripts-folder. Nothing was different. So I did only put the caeroplane.txt in the luascript-folder. But nothing was different.

What did I do wrong?

#28 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 14 December 2012 - 16:37

I don't know hypercop. If you fly right up behind the AI it will still see you. You need to come in with extra speed to get inside the novice's window of stupidity.

Leave the caeroplane.txt in the AI folder, and have the AI folder in luascripts. That's the best I can tell you.

#29 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 16:43

Flying the D.III against the spad probably isn't the best way to see what's happening lol.

#30 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 14 December 2012 - 16:57

Im going to be in transit and unable to fly for at least a week so I won't be giving feedback, but I'm keen to follow this one and help out later on.

#31 wothan

wothan

Posted 14 December 2012 - 23:11

I just tried this mod with 3 Sopwith Pubs against 3 novice Albatros DII's

I´m not 100% sure about the mechanics of the AI, but the fighting was the best I ever had in ROF.

While the albatrosses did react to me, once I was more than 100m away they seemed not to care alot about me.
I could then turn behind them and close in before they tried to evade.
But their evasion seemed bewildered.

Those who came in a favorable position did good at shooting at me, while those at an disadvantage where easy prey for me.

I use this togehter with the other AI mods. What also seemd different was that they where not as eage to dive for the deck than previously, but tried to gain altitude once "unaware".

#32 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 15 December 2012 - 00:02

Glad you like it. Should I try to make the "average" AI a little less aware, too?

#33 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 15 December 2012 - 00:17

I did seem to notice what he was talking about while fighting the Novice Albatras D.Va, it seemed like he wouldn't just turn left downward the whole time likely because I went out of his vis range or something? Made it a bit more interesting though.

#34 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:01

Wouldn't that be something - to get intelligent behavior like going for alt on accident :)

#35 ParachuteProne

ParachuteProne

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:26

More anxious to try this than the new planes coming:)

#36 wothan

wothan

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:33

Glad you like it. Should I try to make the "average" AI a little less aware, too?

I´m not sure about that…

Fighting should not become too easy either.

#37 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 15 December 2012 - 15:16

My feeling too. For now I like the mod's results. People have been asking to be able to bounce some of the AI at least some of the time, and I that is possible now.

#38 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 15 December 2012 - 18:39

You could make all the AI's less aware using this method but in crease their accuracy at shooting back to stock or even better levels to balance it out.

#39 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 15 December 2012 - 19:55

You could make all the AI's less aware using this method but in crease their accuracy at shooting back to stock or even better levels to balance it out.

I have never changed the shooting accuracy of AI scouts.

#40 wothan

wothan

Posted 15 December 2012 - 19:58

This mod also makes the AI alot more unpredictable.

If mission / campaign designers can chnage the skill level for the AI during flight, then it will be awsome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users