Photo
- - - - -

I won't fly PWCG because ...

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#81 Gambit21

Gambit21

Posted 07 December 2012 - 20:40

I'm a 3D artist/illustrator and designer, PM me Pat if I can be of service.
I haven't installed it yet, so I have no point of reference - perhaps I should start there and
I may have my own ideas.

#82 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 07 December 2012 - 20:50

I'm a 3D artist/illustrator and designer, PM me Pat if I can be of service.
I haven't installed it yet, so I have no point of reference - perhaps I should start there and
I may have my own ideas.

Any effort you can spare would be appreciated. Just install it and run it, then take a look at the images directory. The images that I use for backgrounds are simple JPEGs.

#83 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 07 December 2012 - 21:15

I won't fly PWCG because I am a strict multiplayer guy. I think that your campaign is amazing and you are utterly talented, but I need human players.

:S!: MJ

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#84 =III=Flav

=III=Flav

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:24

I just started tonight. It's fantastic! Good work Pat.

#85 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 08 December 2012 - 14:47

I just started tonight. It's fantastic! Good work Pat.

Yeah, and the GUI's fine. It's not important IMO. Content,that's important.

Looking forward to 12.0

#86 Louvert

Louvert

Posted 08 December 2012 - 14:56

Pat, I dearly love your ROF Campaign Generator, but then I loved the one you did all those years ago for RB3D as well. However, as I am one who can seldom leave well enough alone, I've been making tweaks to the image files since shortly after loading up the program. I had done a full set of new medals a while back for the other outstanding WWI combat flight sim and I reworked those to fill the bill here as well. This is the current look of my PWCG install:

Not that the original version wasn't just dandy, but I simply prefer this one a bit more. Still tweaking though as I am always mucking about with this sort of thing, (when time allows).
:)

Oh, I should mention, my current pilot is not a Leutnant nor does he have all those victories or trinkets. I adjusted his file for the screenshot in order to show more than just the Iron Cross 2c that he has at the moment for his two confirmed kills.

Cheers!

Lou

#87 realCallahan

realCallahan

Posted 08 December 2012 - 16:53

Is htis a PWCG? Not bad :)

#88 Der.Mo

Der.Mo

Posted 08 December 2012 - 18:24

Reminds me OFF another game i once used to play :lol:

#89 theMoxy

theMoxy

Posted 08 December 2012 - 23:14

So….I've installed the PWCG (the one on the RoF download page) and then the AI mod… ran it and it started up… Hit the mission start - it loaded about 80% and then RoF crashed. Repeated attempts have been the same. Re-installed the PWCG and no difference. What the dickens am i doing wrong? If i turn the MOD's off, the program runs just fine still. (whew)

Any ideas? is this a common error i have encountered? What am I doing wrong?

thankyou for any help =)

#90 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:41

…slow time compression. :xx:

#91 Der.Mo

Der.Mo

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:45

…slow time compression. :xx:

Time compression: that is a factor of how much is in the mission and nothing specific to PWCG. That is why I made the simple config buttons. Two button presses and you should have very flyable missions. I use low settings on a three year old rig and it's very good. I can usually go from aerodrome to action in under five minutes. Using air start it is generally under two minutes.

#92 LordNeuro_Srb

LordNeuro_Srb
  • LocationNovi Sad/Serbia

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:28

Pat it there any chance to use dumas amezing work in ur campaign.
If u didnt seen it all redy it is a work of art and maybe there is posability to incorporeted in ur campaign.
Here is the link to it
Pilot's Logbook - career mode combat reports
:S!:

#93 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 19 December 2012 - 13:28

I did see it and it is excellent. I'm pretty sure that I cannot use it in its entirety, but it may be possible to use the images (they are much better than mine). I'll have to ask if he is willing.

#94 WWSittingduck

WWSittingduck

Posted 19 December 2012 - 18:16

I do, and will continue to fly it.

but if your looking for constructive criticism, the explanations for all the options in the settings has been a little vague for me. You have put in so many options, but I have never been quite sure exactly what the result of changing some of those values will be in the mission.

To be more specific, if I want more AI enemy, there seems to be several settings that accomplish this. Never fully understood the difference from one to another.

Old Fokkers Squad

#95 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 19 December 2012 - 20:52

Because still like to see that I could reject to be a flight leader during mission briefing!
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#96 Gunsmith86

Gunsmith86

Posted 19 December 2012 - 21:18

but if your looking for constructive criticism, the explanations for all the options in the settings has been a little vague for me. You have put in so many options, but I have never been quite sure exactly what the result of changing some of those values will be in the mission.

To be more specific, if I want more AI enemy, there seems to be several settings that accomplish this. Never fully understood the difference from one to another.

same for me a better explanation for all options would be great!
:S!:

#97 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 20 December 2012 - 00:59

I don't fly PWCG because I found multiplayer.

Used to fly PWCG all the time, and yes, the missions even back in the the earlier versions were incredibly complex and immersive. Hitting refly on same mission (ashamed to say more than once…) and it never replayed quite the same way.

Many good comments here, about improving random weather, better 2-seater support, etc., but overall most people enjoy it very much. I did, and probably will if the MP community dries up.

If you are hardcore single player, or even just dabble as a solo player now-and-then, and haven't tried it, then you are truly missing out.

Cheers for all the hard work Pat :S!:

#98 redcoat22

redcoat22

Posted 20 December 2012 - 13:56

Simply put, I tend to refrain from using mods. I like everything 'official'.

I am mainly a campaign player and have heard nothing but great reviews from people about PWCG, so I admit I am probably missing out on something.

#99 redcoat22

redcoat22

Posted 20 December 2012 - 13:57

FWIW, I'm working more closely with VikS now to improve the game's career mode, so you should be seeing the fruits of that collaboration firstly with the Channel map.

COOL

#100 rockmedic109

rockmedic109

Posted 20 December 2012 - 15:34

Simply put, I tend to refrain from using mods. I like everything 'official'.

I am mainly a campaign player and have heard nothing but great reviews from people about PWCG, so I admit I am probably missing out on something.

I am usually like you regarding mods. However, you should give PWCG a try.

It will not screw up your installation, it is fairly easy.

And the author comes with an amazing background in taking WWI flight sims from simply good to the level of ohmygodthisisamazing…[drool]..standing order for pizza delivery…install a second PC in the bathroom for when nature calls…when was the last time I took a bath…what month is this….life.

#101 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 20 December 2012 - 18:46

FWIW, I'm working more closely with VikS now to improve the game's career mode, so you should be seeing the fruits of that collaboration firstly with the Channel map.

COOL
That would be great, do not forget the Belgium flyers.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#102 FifthColumnist

FifthColumnist

Posted 21 December 2012 - 14:05

PWCG doesn't let me earn medals for my in game desktop…. :P

Seriously though pwcg careers are much more fun than beta career ones. Although the existing integration is a step in the right direction, it would be nice if the PWCG was controlled/run from within the game rather than having separate app, something like lowengrin's DCG in "DGEN replacement mode" would be nice.

#103 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 21 December 2012 - 20:28

Good news. This is the first time work on the Beta Career has been mentioned in a while.

#104 Badgerbrown

Badgerbrown

Posted 21 December 2012 - 20:31

…I can not download the .zip file (?)

I guess I need a better understanding of the steps for the entire process.

#105 NimitsTexan

NimitsTexan

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:36

Good news. This is the first time work on the Beta Career has been mentioned in a while.

Looking forward to see what that will be.

FYI, Pat's interface is one of the good things, IMO. I wish the Beta Career interface were more "retro (WWI) style, instead of the mueseum motif.

Pat, I do use both (but still primarily Beta Career), but what keeps me flip flopping (besides the slight clunkiness of tacking a java app onto a different piece of software) are a few beta career features PWCG lacks, which the Beta Career possess.

First: Tracking plane losses/replacements. I know you said actual plane shortages were not a problem, and I believe you, but it is cool, as your squadron transitions to a new type, to see it the stocks of the new model go up and down until it finally replaces all. (I'd submit that this part, at least, is realistic, as we know newer types were not always immediately widely available, especially for the Germans, which is one way how you got the mixed plane squadrons.)

Second: Mission frequency: I guess I sort of like the Beta Career design which has you fly alot of missions, but a decent probablity of no action (especially early war). Though I do use time compression extensively . . .

Third: Feature complextity. I am by now means a computer or flight sim campaign illiterate guy (used to dabble in building/modding DGen campaigns for IL-2), but I guess at this point in my life I just want to click on the "historically accurate" button and be down. I now you have a high density setting (which I assume is close to accurate), but even then, I was seeing O-400s on a mass daylight raid (flyinh by my airfield), which seldom, if ever, happened, I believe.

Fourth: Picky, but it bugs me that I can modify who goes on flights with me as a brand new 2Lt in the squadron. Considering you can start out any rank you want, I wish the ability to edit/reject the mission was reserved till you achieved squadron command.

On the other hand, I love the interface, the integration of aces, the fact you can have large sorties/air battles, etc., and very much wish Beta Career had done that from the start

#106 thenorm

thenorm

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:54

I hope the landing issues can be fixed, I watched my flight lead roll between (at moderate to high speed) two of the hangers on landing. He just barely kept from hiting either of them.

#107 Voidhunger

Voidhunger

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:51

Thanks!

#108 Kreny

Kreny

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:47

If AI would be able to land or at least do not die when trying to land, it would be awesome :)

#109 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 02 February 2013 - 18:55

While I appreciate the Devs attempt at a SP career with the Beta Career, I must say that PWCG is many leaps and bounds beyond it. It's far more configurable to the players tastes and there seems to be a hell of a lot more action in it. In the Beta Career, I always feel like I'm flying in some completely remote and dead sector of the war. Not so with Pats very fine work.

Of note, I was reluctant to try PWCG for a long time but when the GUI mod was created to integrate it much more into the game I decided to give it a shot. I'm glad that I did.

Many thanks to Mr. Wilson and the author of the GUI mod.

#110 NattyIced

NattyIced

Posted 02 February 2013 - 20:56

I grew bored of single player back in the days of RBII/3D.

"Now comes a matter that I want to discuss with you: Our aircraft, quite frankly, are ridiculously inferior to British [aircraft]. The [Sopwith] Triplane and 200hp SPAD, as well as the Sopwith [Camel] single-seater, play with our [Albatros] D.V. In addition to having better-quality aircraft, they have far more [of them]. Our really good fighter pilots are lost in this manner. The D.V is so far surpassed by and so ridiculously inferior to the British single-seaters that one cannot begin to do anything with [the D.V]. But the people at home have brought out no new machines for almost a year, [only] these lousy Albatroses, and have remained stuck with the Albatros D.III [types], in which I fought in the autumn of last year." - Manfred von Richtofen

#111 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:54

I quit mp a couple of years ago and have enjoyed the beta campaign, though it does get boring after a bit due to the "action areas" where you know you'll run into the enemy.
Trying PWCG has introduced some interest in that I dont know where things are going to happen, though I have yet to be bounced by another flight (I've heard that his happens tho). Having more planes in the air is a BIG benefit to using PWCG.

I held off flying PWCG till recently because it didnt have all the bonuses (bells and whistles) of the beta campaign. Being integrated as part of the game is a big deal.
For instance, I flew one mission and collided with an albatross behind his lines. I died.
PWCG listed me as injured, and after creating another mission (which is counter intuitive…I had to "scrub" the current mission to create a new one) had me flying again in 2 months from the same squadron.
Beta campaign would have told me I died, and to continue I'd have to re-fly the mission.
Flying the next mission ended after A LONG time at x16 time progression (which isnt any faster than normal from what I can tell) when I got an out of memory error. ugh.

–I had things set on "high density", and adjusted it to "medium Density". Hopefully that will fix the memory issue.

It took me a while to start flying PWCG, and I'm getting adjusted to it now. Thank you for the work on this campaign Pat! I dont know if I like it better than the beta career, but I dont have enough time with it to make that choice either.

#112 thenorm

thenorm

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:12

There should be a setting that will have PWCG list you as properly dead in situations like that.

#113 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:02

happened again. I went down in flames and crashed from 4k feet.
RoF mission debrief listed me as dead.
However, in PWCG I'm listed as injured and 3 months later I'm scrambling to intercept aircraft.

It would be good to have a "basic settings" recommendations for low/medium/high powered pcs.
Medium density planes/ground/AA makes my machine chug. I'm wondering if I set something in the advanced config that I shouldnt have…

#114 Proccy

Proccy

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:10

Cant get it to work because im stupid

Lieut. (A./Capt.) Andrew Weatherby Beauchamp-Proctor, D.S.O., M.C., D.F.C., No. 84 Sqn., R.A. Force.

#115 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:22

happened again. I went down in flames and crashed from 4k feet.
RoF mission debrief listed me as dead.
However, in PWCG I'm listed as injured and 3 months later I'm scrambling to intercept aircraft.

It would be good to have a "basic settings" recommendations for low/medium/high powered pcs.
Medium density planes/ground/AA makes my machine chug. I'm wondering if I set something in the advanced config that I shouldnt have…

That's on purpose. Default level of injury is moderate (out weeks). You can also do never injured, severe injury (months) or dead (campaign over). It is a setting in advanced settings.

By putting the player out for some time it does offer some incentive to fly carefully. For those who like DiD, they c an have it.

Advanced COnfig -> User Preferences -> Max Pilot Injury. 4 = dead. 3 = severe. 2 = wounded.

#116 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:26

Cant get it to work because im stupid

What is happening that is causing it to fail?

1. Get the 12.0 Beta because it is a little easier to set up. it also has much better diagnostics that will help either you directly or allow me to figure things out for you.

2. Unzip to your root RoF directory.

3. Run PWCG.exe.

4. Tell PWCG which airplanes you own (12.0 guides you through this - it;s not hard)

5. Go to simple config and press the level of activity. I personally play on low and do not recommend high unless you have a beefy computer.

#117 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:28

If AI would be able to land or at least do not die when trying to land, it would be awesome :)

Fixed in 12.0 beta

#118 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:36

First: Tracking plane losses/replacements. I know you said actual plane shortages were not a problem, and I believe you, but it is cool, as your squadron transitions to a new type, to see it the stocks of the new model go up and down until it finally replaces all. (I'd submit that this part, at least, is realistic, as we know newer types were not always immediately widely available, especially for the Germans, which is one way how you got the mixed plane squadrons.)

Agree. I will probably get tothis at some reasonable point.

Second: Mission frequency: I guess I sort of like the Beta Career design which has you fly alot of missions, but a decent probablity of no action (especially early war). Though I do use time compression extensively . . .

Probably won't do this. It's just a difference between the two career modes and a good reason why options are good.

Third: Feature complextity. I am by now means a computer or flight sim campaign illiterate guy (used to dabble in building/modding DGen campaigns for IL-2), but I guess at this point in my life I just want to click on the "historically accurate" button and be down. I now you have a high density setting (which I assume is close to accurate), but even then, I was seeing O-400s on a mass daylight raid (flyinh by my airfield), which seldom, if ever, happened, I believe.

If I get more two seaters I will definitely eliminate it entirely. I already have some code in place for "night bomber only". Will take a little time to get there. Hurting for German Corps two seaters.

Fourth: Picky, but it bugs me that I can modify who goes on flights with me as a brand new 2Lt in the squadron. Considering you can start out any rank you want, I wish the ability to edit/reject the mission was reserved till you achieved squadron command.

Probably won't change this as many people like it. it is also easy to just ignore the feature and fly as the mission is designated.

#119 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:11

Advanced COnfig -> User Preferences -> Max Pilot Injury. 4 = dead. 3 = severe. 2 = wounded.

Thanks Pat! Makes sense now.

What settings do you put your density (ground/air/aa) on?

#120 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 03 February 2013 - 17:27

Thanks Pat! Makes sense now.

What settings do you put your density (ground/air/aa) on?

I have a three year old computer, so I keep it pretty low.
Air: Low
AAA: Medium
Ground Objects: Medium

My System:
I7 920 @2.67 GHz CPU
8 GB memory
NVidia GTX 260MB GPU (2 GB GTX 660 is paid for and heading this way)

AAA and ground objects do not consume as much CPU power, so I can go medium on those. With low air activity there are between 4 and 6 flights in the air. Using the default "opposing flight" setting there is almost always something crossing my path.

A quick explanation on the opposing flight parameter. Inside my code there is a setting for each flight as to whether it is an opposing flight or not. Opposing flights have their routes set to intersect your. Timing still might prevent them from doing so when you are there, but odds are far more likely. This is my way of giving players with systems like mine good odds of seeing something without putting a CPU stomping number of aircraft in the air.

If you are running on high air activity the percentage of opposing flights is reduced. This offers a much more organic way of playing, as other flights are not explicitly set to cross your path. It would result in more variation in contact points, more activity outside of your squadron, etc. However, this does mean lots of planes in the air. My computer runs at about 1/2 speed (slide show) on high air activity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users