Photo
- - - - -

FlightFX - SweetFX GUI for RoF - support thread

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Laser

Laser

Posted 02 December 2012 - 23:49

Please use this thread for any questions, ideas or problems with the FlightFX - SweetFX GUI for RoF application.

#2 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:39

A run-down of options in config file (and their importance to RoF) would be great :).

When trying Jason's original configuration, I've noticed the clouds are much less transparent - while flying 100m below overcast clouds with split screen, I could see the ground below me on the unaffected half of the screen and milk white on SweetFx half. Which options regulate that?

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#3 Laser

Laser

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:45

A run-down of options in config file (and their importance to RoF) would be great :).

When trying Jason's original configuration, I've noticed the clouds are much less transparent - while flying 100m below overcast clouds with split screen, I could see the ground below me on the unaffected half of the screen and milk white on SweetFx half. Which options regulate that?

If you keep the mouse over the "Enabled" check box of each section, or on the name of each option, the relevant help text (taken from SweetFX comments) will be displayed as a tool tip. Other than that, anyone is free to share his/hers findings about an option or another - this could be appended later to the documentation.

My tip: i disable AA completely in RoF's launcher, and set AF to minimum (bilinear) - and replace both with the SMAA from SweetFX.

#4 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 03 December 2012 - 19:14

Well done Laser!!
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#5 Der.Mo

Der.Mo

Posted 03 December 2012 - 19:41

My tip: i disable AA completely in RoF's launcher, and set AF to minimum (bilinear) - and replace both with the SMAA from SweetFX.

Will it bring the same result with better FPS?
Someone said the quality of RoF AA is better than SMAA. Just wondering..

#6 Laser

Laser

Posted 03 December 2012 - 19:44

Maybe it's psychological only, but it seems to remove shimmering and i certainly have smooth FPS.

(with a 5870 ATI)

#7 EAF92_Whiskey

EAF92_Whiskey

Posted 03 December 2012 - 20:54

What settings in SweetFX equate to AA and AF in RoF?

WB.

#8 AndyJWest

AndyJWest

Posted 03 December 2012 - 21:22

Effects included:

SMAA Anti-aliasing : Anti-aliases the image using the SMAA technique - see http://www.iryoku.com/smaa/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.iryoku.com/smaa/
LumaSharpen : Sharpens the image, making details easier to see
Bloom : Makes strong lights bleed their light into their surroundings
HDR : Mimics an HDR tonemapped look
Technicolor : Makes the image look like it was processed using a three-strip Technicolor process - see http://en.wikipedia....iki/Technicolor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia....iki/Technicolor
Cineon DPX : Makes the image look like it was converted from film to Cineon DPX. Can be used to create a "sunny" look.
Lift Gamma Gain : Adjust brightness and color of shadows, midtones and highlights (avoids clipping)
Tonemap : Adjust gamma, exposure, saturation, bleach and defog. (may cause clipping)
Vibrance : Intelligently saturates (or desaturates if you use negative values) the pixels depending on their original saturation.
Curves : Contrast adjustments using S-curves.
Sepia : Sepia tones the image - see http://en.wikipedia....ne#Sepia_toning" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia....ne#Sepia_toning
Vignette : Darkens the edges of the image to make it look more like it was shot with a camera lens. - see http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Vignetting" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Vignetting
Dither : Applies dithering to simulate more colors than your monitor can display. This lessens banding artifacts - see http://en.wikipedia....mage_processing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Dithering# … processing
Splitscreen : Enables the before-and-after splitscreen comparison mode.
from www.guru3d.com/files_details/sweetfx_shader_suite_download.html

#9 Laser

Laser

Posted 03 December 2012 - 21:59

What settings in SweetFX equate to AA and AF in RoF?

WB.

Last time i used these:

Attached File  smaa.jpg   63.59KB   2430 downloads

I disabled especially all other effects, except DITHER. Normally i also play with LUMASHARPEN, in moderate quantities the added detail/sharpness is great.

I didn't do a scientific-like experiment, no comparison of FPS etc. - i don't even pretend it works better, but as it feels smooth both to input and eye, i like it. Perhaps somebody with more time would like to compare FPS and 'eye' quality wrt shimmering etc.

(BTW for those searching for help text about each option, i remind you there are tool tips which will show if you keep the mouse on the option title, or (for the section USE_….) on the Enabled checkbox.)

Detailed SweetFX info may be found indeed at the SweetFX discusson thread http://forums.guru3d...ad.php?t=368880" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://forums.guru3d...ad.php?t=368880 (which can be also reached from the Guru3D link given by AndyJWest above)

#10 EAF92_Whiskey

EAF92_Whiskey

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:35

Thanks Laser I'll give it a try.

WB.

#11 AndyJWest

AndyJWest

Posted 04 December 2012 - 17:42

Enabling 'dither' seems to crash RoF on startup on my AMD 6970/Catalyst 12.10 machine - :( though I'm not sure whether I'd see any benefit with dither anyway. I'll experiment some more to see if there are other problems, and to try to find the optimum setup both for general looks and for the all-important ability to recognise aircraft types at a distance.

Edit: curious - the 'dither' problem seems to have disappeared. Enabling dither seems to reduce shimmering a little, I think.

#12 Joker_BR

Joker_BR

Posted 04 December 2012 - 18:57

Maybe it's psychological only, but it seems to remove shimmering and i certainly have smooth FPS.

(with a 5870 ATI)
Will try (a 6870 here). I was running with 8xAA and 8xAF and SMAA! Tests showed only 2FPS impact vs 0xAA and bilinear AF and SMAA. Will check if disabling ROF's AA and AF helps to reduce shimmering and report back.

EDIT: unfortunately, for me, SMAA didn't solved shimmering. Back to 8xAA and 8xAF, as no gain in FPS was also visible. Using Catalyst 12.11 Beta8 here.

#13 Happyhaddock

Happyhaddock
  • LocationCloud cuckoo land

Posted 04 December 2012 - 19:42

I've been playing around with this FlightFX for a couple of days and found that although it can make massive changes to the look of ROF it really only takes very subtle changes to actually improve the look, it has however just started to cause me severe probs.

If I'd installed it and immediately found that running it had trashed my fps down to just 3 or 4fps I'd have just decided it was beyond my old PC and unistalled it, but it's worked great for a couple of days but then out of the blue it essentially killed ROF. It's not even as if I had changed any parcticular setting and found it went from fine to epic fail, it just began crawling at 3-4fps half way through a mission. I tried exiting and starting again but even the boot up and the 777 logo crawled, the mouse movement to click menus becomes impossible when frame refresh is so slow. I've tried clicking repair on ROF but theres no identificable issues to repair and the slow frame rate persists

If I turn off FlightFX then ROF goes back to normal, the moment I turn it back on frame rate drops to an almost stand still.

Anybody else experinced anything like this, and any suggestions why graphics settings which remain unchanged from a couple of days ago and which were running fine now kill my frame rate?

Cheers
HH

#14 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 04 December 2012 - 20:05

It seems to have some (not every time) conflict with the PWCG GUI. I can open PWCG, select pilot, select mission but when I hit Fly Mission, ROF shuts down.

Can still use PWCG manually but the GUI was working fine prior to SweetFX.

#15 AndyJWest

AndyJWest

Posted 04 December 2012 - 20:07

@ Happyhaddock: just a thought, but is the graphics card overheating? Maybe the extra workload is pushing it over the limits?

#16 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 04 December 2012 - 20:11

@HH

Sounds to me (just guessing here) like you are trying to use both SuperSample and AA/AF at the same time?

That will demolish your frame rate.

#17 Joker_BR

Joker_BR

Posted 04 December 2012 - 20:16

It seems to have some (not every time) conflict with the PWCG GUI. I can open PWCG, select pilot, select mission but when I hit Fly Mission, ROF shuts down.

Can still use PWCG manually but the GUI was working fine prior to SweetFX.

HotTom, maybe a PWCG UI reinstall? I doubt that PWCG UI has something to do with SweetFX, because SweetFX is only a filter applied over the image rendering, having nothing to do with the code that guides ROF UI. If you turn off SweetFX, the PWCG UI works?

If you decide to drop PWCG UI in favor of SweetFX, you can experiment with my little old utility here. It will help you with the logs on/off settings. I'm still using it, no problems at all. :S!:

#18 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 04 December 2012 - 21:10

Thanks, Joker. I think I'll try re-installing Ankor's utility and see if it improves. Stay tuned…;)

#19 Laser

Laser

Posted 04 December 2012 - 21:27

Strange. I can only suggest that those who have the knowledge, test directly with SweetFX (without FlightFX) because most of the issues (if not all) should come from that part, as FlightFX is only a GUI.

(The only thing that can be FlightFX related is if somehow it removes/alters some of the SweetFX files so that RoF can't start - in this case simply disable and enable SweetFX again for that game profile.)

#20 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 04 December 2012 - 22:05

I tried PWCG with SweetFX turned off and it worked fine. Turned SweetFX back on again and had the same problem: Wouldn't start mission.

I can work around it manually. But it's odd that there is a conflict.

EDIT: If I start a mission manually and complete a mission, I can then use the PWCG GUI just fine for the next mission…Go figure :mrgreen:

#21 Happyhaddock

Happyhaddock
  • LocationCloud cuckoo land

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:31

@ Happyhaddock: just a thought, but is the graphics card overheating? Maybe the extra workload is pushing it over the limits?

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried again this morning and everything runs fine at normal frame rates, so it could be an overheating issue if things have now had time to cool. Gpu temp monitors show idling at low 60's degC. Pushed flat out to 100% usage with lots going on, ROf settings maxed and all the SweetFx settings turned on frame rates dip to about 20fps and temp gets to high 80's degC, this is within the safe operating limits of the the old 4870 but getting close to the point where the system wants to step in and slow things down, so it's possible that a combination of a hot room and extended play just pushed things over the limit the other night.

I'll keep an eye on that in future and to be on the safe side it may be worth investigating for dust bunnies in the old Pc case.

#22 BiggerBoat

BiggerBoat

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:09

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot a crash with SweetFX enabled in ROF?

The ROF settings window comes up blank and hangs. When I disable SweetFX in Flight FX, ROF loads up fine.

It used to work for me, but I've come back to ROF after a few months with a new video card.

I have an MSI GTX 770.

Edit: One additional note … I saw the references to an issue with a Windows update, but I don't have that particular update installed on my Windows 8.1 system (or at least it's not on the installed updates list)

#23 Joker_BR

Joker_BR

Posted 02 December 2013 - 18:55

It's happening for me too (GTX 660).
Must be related to some recent driver (don't know which one, as I don't use ROF Settings regularly). The workaround is to disable SweetFX while changing things inside ROF Settings, reenabling it afterwards.
Cheers.

#24 BiggerBoat

BiggerBoat

Posted 03 December 2013 - 15:30

It's happening for me too (GTX 660).
Must be related to some recent driver (don't know which one, as I don't use ROF Settings regularly). The workaround is to disable SweetFX while changing things inside ROF Settings, reenabling it afterwards.
Cheers.

Ah, interesting. You're able to run the game itself (ROF.exe) then? It doesn't load for me at all with SweetFX enabled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users