• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 WWDubya

WWDubya

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:50

Albatros D.II early, D.497/16

Get it from Here.

Sources:
WINDSOCK DATAFILE 11 (courtasy of rOEN911)

http://www.theaerodr...i-aircraft.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theaerodr...com/forum/aircr … craft.html (DSA Research, 1995)

http://www.theaerodr...dder-logos.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theaerodr...com/forum/camou … logos.html (Albatros Logo info)

DSA's researched metheun colors applied using Fubar's conversion plate

Click image for larger version

Yes I know, the profile is NOT of the subject aircraft. The image is from the Data File publication's title page.

DSA's color chart (image after this one) implies a white background on the belly surface of the lower wing markings, though is not specifically detailed in his research of this particular aircraft. I've gone ahead and removed it as per this photo and blurb.

As well as detailing DSA's color research of this specific aircraft, this image also shows some of the plywood "rippling" seen in the photos - created by modifying the alpha layer. This effect is more noticeable in different lighting conditions.

Enjoy!

#2 elephant

elephant

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:17

Hi WWDubya, your skinning skills are superb! 8-)

However I want to point out some details that are not given justice for long time in
profile art and in the default RoF template. :|
The metal fairings on the lower wing roots were actually wooden in German planes.
The Austrian ones had metal fairings.
Check out your reference pics to reconfirm.
It's fairly obvious to the ones you've already posted,
but here are a couple of close ups more:

This brings us to another detail: the metallic parts.
In your skin there is an impression, at least to my eyes, that the metal parts are dull aluminium,
while they should look painted in metal primer.
That metal primer was a light khaki like grey-greenish colour.
(resembling the WWII RLM 2)
Check it out here:

From the reference pics you've posted it seems that there was no weights table stencil on
and from the pics I've posted above it seems it was not a mandatory feature as it was in later types.
However the centerline stencil should be thinned and be prolonged further back,
also to be replicated on the starboard side as well (check the pics I've posted for reference).

Another poorly presented feature in all RoF Albatros templates are the Factory ID placards
that should be placed on every individual part of the plane according to Idflieg instructions
(i.e. fuselage- wings)

The different Works (Albatros, OAW and LVG) that were manufacturing the D.II had different placement order for those placards.

The plane you've depicted is an Albatros made machine and the placards should be placed side by side on the nose section, on both lower wings leading edge wingtips and most probably on the upper wing cut out. (check my second pic for reference)
Speaking for the upper wing cut out the upper wing camo colour should be extended halfway down
(check my second pic)

About the three colour camo I find the rusty brown too tannish for my taste,
I would prefer it more reddish but, that's just me and I can't give any strong proof other than
it photographs really dark in b/w… :roll:

I can share my ID placards (from the D.III Johannisthal Mod) if you want to add them…

:S!:

#3 realCallahan

realCallahan

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:26

voted YES!

#4 szelljr

szelljr

Posted 02 December 2012 - 13:03

ohhh boy ohhh super!!!yes

#5 WWDubya

WWDubya

Posted 02 December 2012 - 20:13

–> Elephant, Very cool info you've posted, especially in regards to the the placards and wing-joint farings!!

With respects to this particular aircraft, I chose to (mostly) follow DSA's research work in regards to the color scheme, following as closely as possible the metheun conversions posted by Fubar. Each Mfr. seemed to differ noticeably in shade (browns and greens most notably). As for the metal paint (at least on this airplane), the metal bits were painted a light gray with blue tones barely apparent. However, I probably could have dulled the alpha to show this as paint vs the color of the metal itself.

Again, great info which I intend to put to good use in future skins!

#6 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:55

Very nice! A bit too "factory fresh" compared to the black and white photos of one that appears to have seen some service but still a very good representation.

Aye!

#7 FlyingShark

FlyingShark

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:49

Nice work, Yes.

:S!:

You can vote my post up by clicking the green arrow on the right.

#8 Fubar

Fubar

Posted 03 December 2012 - 18:45

Very nice WWDubya :S!:

Very nice! A bit too "factory fresh" compared to the black and white photos of one that appears to have seen some service but still a very good representation.

Aye!

I think most of these birds were well looked after and don't forget the average live span for these aircarft was about six-eight weeks :)

#9 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 03 December 2012 - 19:23

Very nice WWDubya :S!:

Aye!

I think most of these birds were well looked after and don't forget the average live span for these aircarft was about six-eight weeks :)

Well, it looks (to me) as though there was considerable discoloration aft of the radiator, probably from leaks or overheating:

Attached File  AD2_D497-16-a.png   3.65MB   1572 downloads

#10 JFM

JFM
  • LocationNaples, FL, USA

Posted 03 December 2012 - 19:42

Looking good! I like how you reduced the over-weathered appearance of the stock plane, which looks as if it was hangared in a coal mine for ten years. Albatros DIIs were only a couple months old when the D IIIs began appearing.

To add to Elephant's constructive comments, the weights table should not be there. I've seen these on LVG-built Albatros D IIs only; i.e., D1024-1098/16. Weights tables weren't on Albatros- or OAW-built D IIs. I know you had nothing to do with that, since it's on the stock plane, but just get rid of it in future. (That's a suggestion, not an order.)

Again, overall very nice.

#11 WWDubya

WWDubya

Posted 03 December 2012 - 21:47

Interesting all!

Re: the weight tables… is the datum line still there? DSA noted it in his research so I assumed it meant the text as well…

#12 JFM

JFM

Posted 04 December 2012 - 00:05

Hey, WWD,

Yes, it's there. Grainy shot, but here:

Goes a little further aft than you have it.

#13 WWDubya

WWDubya

Posted 04 December 2012 - 14:33

I see it now… thought it was panel seam. Thanks!

#14 JFM

JFM

Posted 04 December 2012 - 15:57

My pleasure. PM me if you need any photos, etc. I don't have everything but perhaps I'll have some that will assist with your next skinning project.

#15 WWDubya

WWDubya

Posted 04 December 2012 - 18:12

At work right now but I may just take you up on that offer! I'll let you know. :)

#16 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:49

Hey Dub - Can't tell for sure - is this one finished or are you still planning to make any changes/corrections based on the above posts?

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#17 WWDubya

WWDubya

Posted 03 March 2013 - 19:34

Panther… this one is Fini. :)

#18 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 03 March 2013 - 19:37

Poll concluded; thread locked.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users