Nothing shoots!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 wingclip

wingclip
  • LocationUSA/Texas

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:27

Hi Folks,
I'm absolutely certain I'm the reason for my problem but I can't seem to get this right. I don't see the answer in the manual and I've had this Sim for at least 3 weeks with no success.

I have Windows 7 64bit, my version of ROF is a download, (ICE 1021 if that helps), and I have 2+ years, (thousands of hours :S!: ), experience with FSX Flight Sim. My control system is a Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and Saitek pedals. Computer: i7-2600K 5.0Ghz and Radeon HD 7850PE.

I go in and setup the controls to what I think is supposed to fire my guns, (I even apply a button to "Fire all Guns"), and yet I pull the trigger or push the button and nothing happens.

I even had one button set to do a "Recharge all Arms" and could actually see the gun recharge when I pressed it, but still no firing when I pulled the trigger, (or even the "fire all weapons" button)! I can go on regarding the POV control in and out of the cockpit because I have similar problems with that also but I think the problem is related.

This may be because I don’t have an understanding of how to assign an action to my controller. That’s because I see 3 columns and I really don’t have any idea where my Controller commands/actions should be placed. So I had some in each of the 3 columns and then I tried putting the same commands in all 3 columns, (my logic was that at least one of the 3 would be in the right place), but that didn't work either.

So even though I have other questions, I’m just going for the basics here and maybe the rest will start to make sense. I have 2 years of flight experience in FSX and I only fly in maximum realism when it comes to anything regarding takeoff, flying, or landing.

All my attempts are in the Off-line setup, and even though I pick a plane other than the Spad, ROF seems bent on making me fly the Spad, (yes, my other choices are allowed and active and came with the download but I keep winding up in the Spad).

Also, I never understood “Padlock”. Can someone give me an example of what that is when it comes to POV’s? I've yet to get this sim to start up on the ground… but I'll save that for another time. :?
Thanks, Rich

#2 Dressedwings

Dressedwings
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:33

just a quick question: by recharge do you mean cock? To fire your weapons you need to cock them first. You will know the guns have cocked when the hammer moves up then down. this will happen on both the Spandau and the Vickers.

Cocking your weapons should be mapped to 'R'

TOeIhAe.png

^CHECK THE LINK^

#3 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:42

Where are you trying to test/shoot your guns? Most of the guns now fire via a synchronization mechanism (which is activated/influenced by the spinning of the prop), so if you're trying to fire any synchronized guns (e.g., the SPAD 13's) with your engine off and the prop not spinning, they will not fire. If you have a plane with a non-synchronized gun (e.g., SE5a's overwing Lewis gun), those should still fire even though the pro is not spinning. See this thread for details: A few words about Synchronizers and Version 1.026

There are 3 columns in the controls setup screens because you can have up to 3 alternative assignments for the same command (e.g., a key, a joystick button, and a HOTAS slider) - not sure why you would want to do that (3 seems a bit of overkill), but you have that option. Generally, I only have one assignment and leave the other columns empty.

I don't know why you seem to be stuck with the SPAD - are you trying to fly QMB missions (in which case there's a place on the menu near the top where you can select other planes if you want to, assuming you already own them), or are you trying to fly one of the missions that are specific to the SPAD (in which case presumably it's always going to give you a SPAD to fly)?

I never use Padlock, so I can't help you with that one - but others around here do, so I imagine someone will come along and answer your question on that (or Luke will come by and tell you it's in the new Manual :) )

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#4 Dressedwings

Dressedwings
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:47

^ well and then theres that. yes your engine needs to be on too :oops:

TOeIhAe.png

^CHECK THE LINK^

#5 wingclip

wingclip
  • LocationUSA/Texas

Posted 26 November 2012 - 19:26

just a quick question: by recharge do you mean cock? To fire your weapons you need to cock them first. You will know the guns have cocked when the hammer moves up then down. this will happen on both the Spandau and the Vickers.

Cocking your weapons should be mapped to 'R'

Yes sir, I believe ROF means " weapons cocked" when they referred to it as "recharged" and they do map it to the letter R.

So, yes I did cock the weapons before I tried to fire them.

By the way, I'm sorry it took so long to get back here. We're going on vacation the day after tomorrow and I'm running around like a chicken with its head cut off trying to get things prepared.
Thank you, Rich

#6 wingclip

wingclip
  • LocationUSA/Texas

Posted 26 November 2012 - 19:44

Thank you very much Panthercules!
Unfortunately, I did indeed have the engines running (the game would start with me in the air and I did have throttle control as well), and as you see in my answer to J16DressedWings, I also did cock them.

I honestly don't know what the problem is because you two seem to have covered all of my concerns and questions and yet I suspect that the problem comes back to my control system mapping.

There are a number of keyboard assigned actions in several of the columns that I think may be conflicting with commands that I mapped for the same action.

What I'm trying to say is, I think that I may be "stepping on" some of my commands by having a joystick button assigned to a command that will also have a keyboard letter assigned to it in the column before or after my joystick command, (if I made any sense right there).

The problem of the Spad being constantly selected could very well be because of the Quick Mission selection I make when I try to get something going. So I'm going to go into my control mapping section and remove everything in all three columns.

Then I'll map everything I want to the control system and/or keyboard making sure there is nothing to conflict with those commands.

One last thing, I may be mixing up my Sims, (I got a good deal on DCS A10,IL-2 Sturmovik, and ROF so I bought them all at the same time), but I think there may be a panel where I can choose whether or not I want to start from the ground or in the air.

If you know what I'm talking about and such a panel exists in ROF, could you please direct me to it.

Sorry for taking so long to get back, as I mentioned earlier, I'm preparing for an upcoming vacation. But I really think that my controls are not working correctly because there is a conflict in my mapping so I will give that a closer look as I said earlier.
Thanks again, Rich

#7 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud
  • LocationWaleska, Georgia, USA

Posted 26 November 2012 - 20:08

Sorry for this simple question, but did you APPLY twice on seting up your controls? You have to APPLY first when you select the key for your weapons fire and then again at the bottom right. Two APPLYs.

G5fCmYF.png

NEW WINGS VIRTUAL FLIGHT TRAINING

"Hardcore Through Passion"

#8 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 26 November 2012 - 22:18

Another thing you should do is look at the configuration for Fire All Guns and see what keyboard key is assigned to that (can't remember, is it Space?). Then go fly and try firing the guns using the keyboard. At least that would rule out any problems with actually firing the guns and reduce the issue to something related to how you've mapped your controller.

#9 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:34

And in general, you should go ahead and get rid of as many control mapping conflicts/duplications as you can. There are a few things (like camera controls) where some duplication is not a big deal, but for the most part duplication/conflicts are bad and unnecessary and you're better off getting rid of them if you can, especially in any real important areas like weapons firing, aircraft controlling (pitch, yaw, roll,etc), engine throttle/mixture/radiator, etc. - no point in having more than one assignment for those things, IMHO. I would certainly remove any conflicting assignments in these particular gun firing commands you're having trouible with, just to be able to rule that out as a cause.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#10 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester
  • LocationRedlands, California

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:43

As a rule, use the default keyboard bindings, and then use those to map commands to your joystick.

And, study the manual. :) It really isn't all that hard to get controllers set up with the game.

#11 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 27 November 2012 - 14:09

I don't map keyboard commands to my joystick. I directly assign joystick buttons and axis to game functions using the game's built-in controller assignment UI. No need to use a joystick's third-party mapping software to get things working in RoF.

#12 thx1138

thx1138

Posted 27 November 2012 - 14:51

I don't map keyboard commands to my joystick. I directly assign joystick buttons and axis to game functions using the game's built-in controller assignment UI. No need to use a joystick's third-party mapping software to get things working in RoF.

Yeah, I do the same here.

I was going to program the stick and throttle using CH software but it's just soo easy to do the mapping in ROF's options menu.

Tho one of these days….. I AM going to map all the functions I want with the CH software, don't know when, but someday…

#13 outlawal2

outlawal2

Posted 27 November 2012 - 21:12

OK I had this exact problem and the answer was quite embarassing.. No idea if this is your issue, but when you setup your game and are looking at the loadout for your plane, BE CERTAIN that you select SOME ammo. I had selected no ammo to reduce the weight of the plane and guess what? IT WON'T FIRE WITH ZERO AMMO LOADED. Big surprise eh? LOL Anyway, be careful of your setup / loadout as that may be your issue..

Good Luck..

#14 outlawal2

outlawal2

Posted 10 December 2012 - 14:59

Did you get thigns sorted? What was the fix?

#15 wingclip

wingclip
  • LocationUSA/Texas

Posted 14 April 2013 - 16:51

Hi Folks,
First, I want to sincerely apologize for my lack of response by the time the topic increased to a second page. I don't know, and actually doubt, if anyone who was offering all the very helpful advice will read this because it is April 14th 2013 and I posted this topic back on 2012, but if so, please accept my apology for not replying back then. I had a sudden family emergency that took all my extra time I had everyday in order to address it.

Then, I completely forgot about the ROF while that was going on and never remembered this topic I posted until just now! I only was able to return my attention to the ROF Sim very recently and checked some of my posts when I opened the Forum.

I'm pretty much picking up from the beginning again so the info you left here will be of great value and I thank you all for it.
Rich

#16 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 14 April 2013 - 16:52

Hi Rich, welcome back!

Sorry to hear about your family emergency.

Of course if there's anything you need when it comes to RoF people here will be glad to help :S!:

#17 wingclip

wingclip
  • LocationUSA/Texas

Posted 15 April 2013 - 20:40

Thank You Sir! I just finished "Lesson 3" last night after assigning the Joystick controls. I decided to go through each training step in sequence even though I do have advanced flying skills, (mostly in FSX and P3D). I think by doing that I'll get a better idea of how things work in ROF.

And I have to admit that the training lessons are actually fun and interesting to do anyway!

I was surprised to find that there is no "Brakes" command, (differential or otherwise), that I can assign to my Toe Brakes. Maybe that command is aircraft specific. I programed my control system to cover "All" the aircraft I open.

Or am I missing something? It just occured to me that there may be a Brake command and I'm just overlooking it somehow. Is there one?
Thanks, Rich

#18 arthursmedley

arthursmedley

Posted 15 April 2013 - 20:43

Or am I missing something? It just occured to me that there may be a Brake command and I'm just overlooking it somehow. Is there one?

Thanks, Rich

What are these things you call "brakes"?

#19 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 15 April 2013 - 20:50

There should be holes in the bottom of the cockpit that you stick your feet through Flintstone style.

The toughest part of my job is dealing with incompetent clowns who think they're good at their job.

Free Plank!

#20 10ps

10ps

Posted 15 April 2013 - 20:57

No brakes mate. ;)

They really aren't needed anyway, though.

#21 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 15 April 2013 - 21:31

Hi Rich,

None of these planes have brakes! You slow them down by pushing the tail skid into the ground, using the elevator. Eventually they will stop…with or without a ground loop!

It's nice to see you having a go at the training campaign, but I want to give you this advice…please don't get hung up on it! The last few missions are really, really difficult (the final mission even gives the most hardened veterans some trouble) and there are better ways of practice.

Consider this: go into the quick mission generator, choose a 'skirmish' mission, and set all friendly and enemy planes to zero…so that there is nobody else in the air. Then, set the starting altitude to zero as well, so that you can take off from the airfield.

This is a great starting point for practice. You can train your flying without any enemies, so you get comfortable with taking off, manoeuvring, and landing the plane. And when you feel you are ready, you can add ground targets, balloons, or even enemy planes. Or, to practice your gunnery, you can be cheeky and add some friendly planes that you can shoot down without resistance.

I'd recommend the Albatros D.Va as a plane that is very suitable for practice. It's a lot easier to fly than the SPAD 13 that is used in the training campaign, and visibility is a lot better as well……which is very important.

Good luck!

Joris

#22 wingclip

wingclip
  • LocationUSA/Texas

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:05

OUTSTANDING! (Use my feet to stop, Flintstone style, LOL). I suspected that the answer was, "no brakes". Well they were pretty gutsy back then, I have to admit.

Thanks Joris, very good suggestions! I have no doubt that I'll follow your suggestions and I appreciate pointing out an aircraft that'll let me see a bit better.

BTW, I'm a long ways from it but in FSX I like Flying in Dusk, Dawn, and night conditions. But I almost always fly with visibility set no higher than 20 miles. The fact is, 30-40% of the time I cut it back to less than a mile, stormy, 8 to 16 mph winds but I also do nice weather flying when I'm in a mood for a bit more relaxed setting.

I'll be getting in that manual after I get a few training steps behind me. But I’d like to know, do we have similar options in ROF, (time and weather adjustments)?
Thanks again, Rich

#23 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester
  • LocationRedlands, California

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:22

I'll be getting in that manual after I get a few training steps behind me. But I’d like to know, do we have similar options in ROF, (time and weather adjustments)?
Thanks again, Rich

Yes, in the Quick Mission builder you can set the time of day, cloud cover, wind, turbulence, etc.

#24 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:24

When you read the manual make sure its the manual here, and not the old one that might have come with your install (depending on when you downloaded it):

riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=393&t=27806

And yes, the quick mission generator lets you set some westher conditions:

Clouds (clear, medium, heavy, full cover with rain/snow)
Cloud altitude
Wind speed
Turbulance

Edit: Luke beat me to it :D

#25 wingclip

wingclip
  • LocationUSA/Texas

Posted 16 April 2013 - 22:44

Thanks Again to all!
Rich

#26 wingclip

wingclip
  • LocationUSA/Texas

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:53

Man! I just did Training mission 4, (I'm jumping to QuickMission next), and if I had figured out how to get in and around the plane, (My POV), I'm sure I would've splashed that balloon. But I didn't realize that the "Camera" settings were referencing to playback/record/edits. I had head movements using the Pilots head settings but thinking that the two were the same, I memorized the darn camera commands.

Suddenly, I'm trying to look to my left from a POV inside the cockpit and apparently I pushed an Fkey that locked the hat switch and I couldn't turn my head! I start pushing F keys randomly and I suddenly find myself looking straight back at the rudder :o ! LOL, I was trying to keep the plane level while I tested F keys and all the time I'm being shot at and flying in a 180 POV with a wide open throttle! :0o: LOL. It was comical. Then things went red, stall, started coming to but didn't have the altitude and, well :xx: .

Unlike some other sims, if you're in pause mode, the POV will not permit movement until you release the pause, (a little inconvenient but I'll just have to get those viewpoints down). Anyway, I'm still pushing buttons to change POV's in FSX out of habit. Personally, the view commands are the most important to me. I need to figure them out ASAP.

I have to remember to record because this sim has no instant replay ability if your not recording :roll: ! I'm having a good laugh though. But the Sim is really very nice, it's scenery is great and I'm going to push the graphics a little more because my O/C'd HD 7850 GPU and 5GHz Intel CPU are dealing with it very well :x .

Truly a new experience for me and I find it more interesting than DCS A10 Warthog. I can see myself here a lot more often and this'll likely be the first sim that I ever go online with, (I never have with any of the others for a variety of reasons). So I'm sure I'll see a few of you in about 2 weeks or so :S!: .
Rich

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users