Photo
- - - - -

Oil Spatter Mod. JSGME friendly, ready to download

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:55

This replaces the default oil splat with a finer, though no less dense spray. Pictures and link below.

Enjoy!

http://www.mediafire...dl3spmf0hdymku8

UBzX2A1.jpg

KrFbF7k.jpg

#2 realCallahan

realCallahan

Posted 25 November 2012 - 16:51

The pictures look great, make a poll to add it to ROF ;)

#3 Edward_Gale

Edward_Gale

Posted 25 November 2012 - 16:52

Yay! Thanks Feathered!

:S!:

#4 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:24

nevermind.

#5 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:30

Mods on?

#6 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:31

I figured it out.

#7 elephant

elephant

Posted 25 November 2012 - 22:17

Thanks!

#8 Woops

Woops

Posted 25 November 2012 - 23:06

I figured it out.
I haven't, sorry.

#9 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 25 November 2012 - 23:46

Woops, you can unzip the downloaded file and drop it straight into your RoF folder, or you can use the JonesSoft Generic Mod Enabler to install it that way if you prefer. In the RoF Setup window (the one that pops up before the game loads) be sure to tick the box that says Mods On and you're good to go.

All you need to do then is fly near an enemy two seater at any given angle and see the results. :)

#10 Joker_BR

Joker_BR

Posted 26 November 2012 - 17:56

All you need to do then is fly near an enemy two seater at any given angle and see the results. :)

True. LOL. :mrgreen:

#11 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 26 November 2012 - 17:59

That is if the gunner hasn't already shot you in the head.. lol!

#12 Woops

Woops

Posted 26 November 2012 - 23:09

Woops, you can unzip the downloaded file and drop it straight into your RoF folder, or you can use the JonesSoft Generic Mod Enabler to install it that way if you prefer. In the RoF Setup window (the one that pops up before the game loads) be sure to tick the box that says Mods On and you're good to go.

Sorry, mate. I should have been more specific. If its the mediafire link I'm supposed to use I can't get it to work.
Cheers.

#13 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 26 November 2012 - 23:18

Ah, no problem. This happens to me too if I directly click a media fire link. Try right-clicking the download button and selecting Save As from the drop down menu. That should fix it. :S!:

#14 Sylvis

Sylvis

Posted 27 November 2012 - 00:08

Wow! I would love to use this mod, but will I be able to use it with "mods off"-option?

#15 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:47

Fraid not. As with all these things it is strictly Mods-on only.

#16 IRFC_SmokinHole

IRFC_SmokinHole

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:03

Great. But I need to be a bit of a Gavagai here (no dis' intended Gav) and say that the oil-leak-on-face type of catastrophic engine damage is one of the most irritating and unrealistic effects in RoF. This isn't to say it never happened but the types of damage that would cause it are a fraction of the total possible.

#17 Winston60

Winston60
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:21

Great. But I need to be a bit of a Gavagai here (no dis' intended Gav) and say that the oil-leak-on-face type of catastrophic engine damage is one of the most irritating and unrealistic effects in RoF. This isn't to say it never happened but the types of damage that would cause it are a fraction of the total possible.
Yes, of course it's overused and poorly done by 777 and they're unlikely to change or improve it. That's why development by users here is a refreshing change to choose from!

#18 Woops

Woops

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:41

Ah, no problem. This happens to me too if I directly click a media fire link. Try right-clicking the download button and selecting Save As from the drop down menu. That should fix it. :S!:

Buggered if I know I must be having a bad day. For the life of me I can't find any link or download button that works for me at all.

#19 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:54

I just changed the first post so the link is clickable. Not sure if that might have been a problem. If all else fails, shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send it to you direct. ;)

#20 Woops

Woops

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:46

I just changed the first post so the link is clickable. Not sure if that might have been a problem. If all else fails, shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send it to you direct. ;)

Thanks, mate. It works fine.
Cheers.

#21 venustus

venustus

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:12

Thanks for the mod!

I tried installing manually but cannot find an effects folder in my ROF installation

Please advise. :(

#22 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:07

It is okay, just make one. :)

#23 venustus

venustus

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:52

It is okay, just make one. :)

Thanks!! :S!:

#24 Sylvis

Sylvis

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:05

Yes, of course it's overused and poorly done by 777

How would you know? Have you ever experienced a catastrophic engine damage in a ww1 plane? :lol:

#25 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 27 November 2012 - 19:02

Yes, of course it's overused and poorly done by 777

How would you know? Have you ever experienced a catastrophic engine damage in a ww1 plane? :lol:

+1

and have you ever seen it done better in some other WWI flight sim? (I haven't, and I've flown almost all of them, but I may have missed one or two).

I think calling it "poorly done by 777" is quite a stretch, even if you happen to think it's over-used and you don't like it very much.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#26 Winston60

Winston60
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:05

No I haven't. Are you saying you have? I have been in a Ryan ST when a piston and connecting rod failed and exited the side of the engine. All oil was lost but the cowling somewhat contained it and we didn't get any on our faces. I did get oil on my left arm. The oil exited pretty much downwards and made a mess of the side and underneath the plane.

Is it my point that one single bullet to your engine (which is usually surrounded by a cowling) would not always result in the immediate and instant covering of your goggles with massive amounts of oil. I rather think that the oil would appear gradually taking a while to impair your vision, assuming that the oil is coming back over the top of your craft and not sometimes exiting the cowling on the sides or bottom which would then take even longer to obscure your vision if at all. Rotary engine: more chance of oil in your face. Inline engine: less chance depending on location of the perforation.

IMHO, this effect needs attention and improvement, but I don't expect this will get any attention any time soon if at all. It is nice to know your engine is hit and you can expect that engine to fail soon but all this needs to be adjusted for the randomness of the oil's possibility of spraying back towards your face or away from you on the sides or underneath the aircaft, and also made different for rotaries, rotaries with cowlings, and inline engines with cowlings. Not every hit to an inline engine will be on the top side. Imagine where the oil would go if an inline engine were struck in the crankcase.

Again… Kudos to the modders here that are doing something with the issues that bug us in this otherwise fine simulator. Thanks to Feathered_IV's mod (I have taken his work and customized it to suit my taste) I now have an oil mod that I can live with.

#27 WWIFlyingAce

WWIFlyingAce

Posted 04 February 2018 - 22:25

I have used this in the past and it had worked great. I have recently loaded RoF on a new machine and have not had any success with this patch. I have tried loading it straight into RoF and through JSGME with no results

#28 PA_Spartan-

PA_Spartan-

Posted 10 February 2018 - 20:53

Is it still updated?  :)

Winning is optional, but trying your best is not.

#29 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 17 February 2018 - 08:20

Should be fine to use.  I still do.

Just ensure that Mods-on mode is enabled on startup to see it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users