- - - - -

The weather in ROF

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 realCallahan

realCallahan

Posted 23 November 2012 - 18:06

Hey gents,
I don`t really know it but is the weather in ROF realistic? Because I never have had that the clouds are really moving and the weather changes. It doesn`t suddenly start to rain (what can be good too, no problem with that) but is there no way to make this a bit more… Let`s say… realistic?

Regards,
Lehmann

#2 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 23 November 2012 - 18:50

We all want a dynamic and changable weather system.. will we get it? There may be a massive performance hit even if it was possible to impliment it into the game engine.

#3 realCallahan

realCallahan

Posted 23 November 2012 - 19:47

But would be cool 8-)

#4 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester
  • LocationRedlands, California

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:39

Because I never have had that the clouds are really moving

Huh? Of course they move. It all depends on the wind speed and direction.

#5 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:55

I think ROF's weather is too simple, dynamic weather would be cool but at least add more variety to the clouds, I'll use my desktop background as an example, ROF only has the clouds circled in black and NOTHING that surrounds those clouds.

I don't think I've ever just seen this big fluffy looking clouds alone, it's always accompanied by hundreds of wispy long clouds and larger foggy looking stuff. Of course I live in Oregon so maybe France in 1917 was somehow different.

#6 Ginger1964

Ginger1964

Posted 24 November 2012 - 17:53

I don't know,these are English clouds,so i'd say ROF have got it about right don't you think.

#7 dirk

dirk

Posted 24 November 2012 - 19:27

When I fly in OFF, it is nearly always overcast and raining hard - I think that they model the weather as it was during the war, so it is a relief to fly in pleasant sunny conditions in ROF!

#8 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 24 November 2012 - 20:12

Also in ROF, they looked to the historical weather conditions and based the weather in the campaign mode on it.

I don't know how accurate either OFF or ROF are with it. But not much flying was done in the rain, in WWI.

OFF looks best in the rain, though, I think :) (it's quite well done)

#9 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 24 November 2012 - 23:30

And was it done in nothing but shiny blue skies with big white puffy clouds? I seriously doubt it.

#10 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 24 November 2012 - 23:39

No, I agree more weather & cloud variety in ROF would be nice.

#11 TheVino3

TheVino3

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:04

I think we need a wider range of weather scenarios. I dont necessarily mind if its "dynamic" or not - because how often is weather going to change in a single mission?
However:
-not cloudy
-slightly cloudy
-some more clouds
-overcast
I feel is a bit limited.
Flight Simulator X's default weather has a good range. Things like "building storms" and "cold fronts" really add a tonne of immersion. These really dont need to be dynamic, except for the cloud movement.

In a flight simulator:
WEATHER IS EVERYTHING

We NEED more weather options.

#12 j9_viper

j9_viper

Posted 28 November 2012 - 15:51

if the ground is soaked the planes would never get off the ground. They didnt have 10,000ft runways back then.

#13 elephant

elephant

Posted 28 November 2012 - 16:34

Hey guys, check out what our friend DiFiS made some time ago:

weather generator beta 1.5

#14 realCallahan

realCallahan

Posted 28 November 2012 - 18:16

Hey guys, check out what our friend DiFiS made some time ago:

weather generator beta 1.5
Wow, you modders are so damn great people!!! :) :) :)

#15 TheVino3

TheVino3

Posted 28 November 2012 - 23:53

Ive seen the excellent weather generator, and thats all well and good. But the fact remains that in career and other game options (like quick match) there is only a very limited variation in weather. As far as i'm aware the weather generator cant be put into the career mode (…yet?) and so we either need a modder to work on weather - or the devs need to improve it.

The weather we have works fine, and looks great, but theres not enough variation IMHO.

#16 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:29

The weather generator is useless for those of us who aren't creating missions for multiplayer, unless I can quickly and easily add the weather into my PWCG missions I see no point in downloading it.

#17 ROSS_DiFiS

ROSS_DiFiS

Posted 30 November 2012 - 15:16

heavy clouds

Attached Files

#18 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 30 November 2012 - 15:19

It looks much better than default difis, if Pat will utilize it in PWCG then great but what purpose does it serve for the rest of us that aren't mission builders?

#19 TheVino3

TheVino3

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:05

The weather generator is fine. However, it isnt solving the weather issue.

It only utilizes (as far as im aware) the cloud textures that come with RoF. Thats the problem. Rise of flights clouds look fine for little puffy clouds on a summers day - not for building storms or cold fronts or anything else really.

The weather needs to be more varied in its appearance both in arrangement of clouds and their textures.
I know Over Flanders Fields weather isnt perfect either, but it beats the crap out of RoF weather wise. The flight simulator series in general has done weather pretty well.

The weather in RoF needs a LOT more variation - both in types of weather and cloud texture.

#20 AlexanderLL

AlexanderLL

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:04

Real weather would be great. Concerning the pilots sure they were not just fair weather pilots. They left there base of operations to go on a mission. How ever the weather does change and there destination or B/Camp could have socked in while they were going or returning on a mission. Sure there was to the fabric from hail and adverse weather conditions. Would like to see engine oil on the fabric and exaust damage on the fabric of the aircraft.

#21 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:15

I don't know,these are English clouds,so i'd say ROF have got it about right don't you think.

I would have thought that the large cloud in the center right is definately German.
Cheers,
Spag. :)

Bite off more than you can chew.

Then chew like Hell ! ! !

#22 M.H

M.H

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:19

I think ROF's weather is too simple, dynamic weather would be cool but at least add more variety to the clouds, I'll use my desktop background as an example, ROF only has the clouds circled in black and NOTHING that surrounds those clouds.

I don't think I've ever just seen this big fluffy looking clouds alone, it's always accompanied by hundreds of wispy long clouds and larger foggy looking stuff. Of course I live in Oregon so maybe France in 1917 was somehow different.
The aliens are here ……
Quick , to the space sim

#23 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:23

I've always liked the clouds in 'Thomas the Tank Engine'.
Attached File  thomas.jpg   10.35KB   291 downloads :D
Cheers,

#24 M.H

M.H

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:26

I watched that back when I was a kid …….
Good times …………..

#25 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:34

The guy who created the clouds was a commercial airline pilot.
Cheers,

#26 M.H

M.H

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:37

A man made the clouds . Then he got himself lost in them …….
;)

#27 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:43

WoW! That is just so profound man.
Cheers,

#28 Nrohtnalu

Nrohtnalu

Posted 16 May 2013 - 20:50

We all want a dynamic and changable weather system.. will we get it? There may be a massive performance hit even if it was possible to impliment it into the game engine.
There are are more sophisticated simulations out there that do this and have a overall better performance, have Avionics simulation, advanced Flight model simulation, full engine and subsystem state abd damage simulation, radar and radar cross section simulation, Seeker and ECM and FLIR and full atmossphere Simulation with changing weather and have free flight with detailed maps without just filling parts of the map with objects.

Seems that RoF engine is simply not that much advanced and that's why it lacks so much that is standard in Sims for years now.

#29 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester
  • LocationRedlands, California

Posted 17 May 2013 - 00:36

Seems that RoF engine is simply not that much advanced and that's why it lacks so much that is standard in Sims for years now.

Nonsense

#30 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 17 May 2013 - 00:56

Nonsense

Obviously, the basic RoF engine has some age on it now that it's been out for a while. And I dislike "modern" (i.e., post Vietnam era) flight sims so I haven't bought or tried any of the more recent releases in those categories and can't compare them to RoF. But as far as anything I've seen come out before or since RoF in the WWI/WWII space, I'd have to agree with Luke's sentiments above. I wouldn't consider anything I've seen in the WWI/WWII space, taken as a whole, to be more advanced than RoF, and certainly can't point to anything superior to RoF that I think could fairly be characterized as "standard in [WWI/WWII] Sims for years now".

Of course, there's always room for improvement and I would love to see even more advances in RoF weather/clouds treatment as the sim continues to evolve.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 65.jpg

#31 Nrohtnalu

Nrohtnalu

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:07

Nonsense
I would not call FSX, X-plane or DCS nonsense.
DCS currently has the best dynamic weather genration system of all, and the weather affets the engien power, like it does in FSX and alrady did in FS9.

In RoF it does not matter if you fly in summer or winter and different air presure obviously does not exist, just standard atmosphere. A bit of bloom and cool post procesing does not make a good flightsim…in Fightsims it is all about what is under the hood ad how precise the behaviour of the simulated machine and the environment fits real data…and in that depatment RoF shines neither or just for a handfull of planes ut only under the always perfect atmospheric conditions. And i know of no othr Flightsim where objects are only rendered and drawn on the small part the mission takes plave and you face a empty world outside of the action box but inside the map after just flying 20 minutes…Most sims made after 1999 use terrain streaming to load objects around the player over the whole map, Rof does not.

#32 tvrtko

tvrtko

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:12

DCS currently has the best dynamic weather genration system of all, and the weather affets the engien power, like it does in FSX and alrady did in FS9.

In RoF it does not matter if you fly in summer or winter and different air presure obviously does not exist, just standard atmosphere. A bit of bloom and cool post procesing does not make a good flightsim…in Fightsims it is all about what is under the hood ad how precise the behaviour of the simulated machine and the environment fits real data…and in that depatment RoF shines neither or just for a handfull of planes ut only under the always perfect atmospheric conditions. And i know of no othr Flightsim where objects are only rendered and drawn on the small part the mission takes plave and you face a empty world outside of the action box but inside the map after just flying 20 minutes…Most sims made after 1999 use terrain streaming to load objects around the player over the whole map, Rof does not.
+1
It couldn't be further from nonsense.
FSX (released October 10 2006 :!: ) is far superior
in weather system. Especially when we talk about
dynamic weather system. Lock On is also better…

#33 Nrohtnalu

Nrohtnalu

Posted 17 May 2013 - 20:24

Dont forget the original "Batle of brittain" by Rowan Software, It had the original weather recreated from weather reports for the channel from June 1940 on.

#34 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 17 May 2013 - 20:42

FSX runs like shite, even today. And it doesn't even come close to having the detail in flight and damage modeling (flight systems though is something different). And then running it all in mutliplayer so that you can shoot eachother down over the net with the same amount of detail.

In return, it has better weather, perhaps.

But it still runs like shite.

#35 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 17 May 2013 - 22:11

Nonsense

You've just proven the opposing point. It is much more difficult to get any of those sims to run as smoothly as ROF does on my PC.

#36 Nrohtnalu

Nrohtnalu

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:16

Nonsense

You've just proven the opposing point. It is much more difficult to get any of those sims to run as smoothly as ROF does on my PC.
For me RoF is the only one out of them of them that crashes all the time in MP missions. You have proofed nothing.

#37 tvrtko

tvrtko

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:24

FSX runs like shite, even today. And it doesn't even come close to having the detail in flight and damage modeling (flight systems though is something different). And then running it all in mutliplayer so that you can shoot eachother down over the net with the same amount of detail.

In return, it has better weather, perhaps.

But it still runs like shite.
???
Jorri, take a look one more time
at this thread title please. :idea:

DCS LockOn: Flaming Cliffs runs like silk
on my PC, varied from 80 to even 300 :o
- 400 fps - on absolute max settings !!
FSX is close to RoF. But again - on max.
I don't run RoF at max, for the record.
My specs are in my profile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users