#1 ST_Agent86

ST_Agent86
  • LocationNorth Woods

Posted 19 November 2012 - 20:19

Patriarch's colors on the Tripe

Attached File  Patriarch tripe.jpg   833.08KB   1029 downloads
Attached File  Patriarch tripe1.jpg   848.62KB   1029 downloads
Attached File  Patriarch tripe 2.jpg   858.83KB   1029 downloads

http://www.mediafire.../?jb9j3oagzzyag" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mediafire.../?jb9j3oagzzyag

Sorry About That                                                           

#2 ST_Agent86

ST_Agent86
  • LocationNorth Woods

Posted 19 November 2012 - 20:39

LOL your quick today "no voter" :shock:

Sorry About That                                                           

#3 Edward_Gale

Edward_Gale

Posted 19 November 2012 - 20:50

Not personally a fan of it, but voted yes, nicely done ;)

#4 ST_Agent86

ST_Agent86
  • LocationNorth Woods

Posted 19 November 2012 - 21:08

Thanks Mr. Gale. Your vote AND opinion is appreciated. :)

Sorry About That                                                           

#5 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 19 November 2012 - 21:29

No. Too bright and gaudy.

(Sorry about that!) ;)

#6 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 19 November 2012 - 22:12

Looks fine to me - have we really reached the point where all personal, fictional Entente skins have to be as dull and boring as most of them were IRL? I can see trying to hold the line against the "Hello Kitty" and "My Little Pony" kinds of skins, but this one? Seems a little overly stringent to me, but I guess that's why they have polls.

Yes from me, in any event.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#7 Philemmett

Philemmett

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:15

What a fabulous cross section of opinions. Mr Panthercules thinks it's too stringent but likes it. Mr Hot Tom thinks it's overboard! And Mr Gale is in between. Thank you gentlemen for your thoughts. I have no idea what to think except that I love the hell out of it!!! Many thanks for your input. Phil -Patriarch- (Many more thanks to Agent86)

#8 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:28

Nah - it's not the skin I think is too stringent - it's the standard some folks seem to be holding it to that makes them consider it too gaudy that I think is too stringent.

If you look at some of the historical skins the British used on some of their Camels and SE5as (see examples below), I don't see how you can really think of this one as too gaudy - more colorful than the average British aircraft, sure, but nothing that couldn't plausibly have been seen somewhere along the front. And it's a personal/fictional skin, for goodness sake.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960

#9 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:43

Well, Panther, I usually just vote "no" without an explanation for skins I don't like but poor Agent86 asked for a why and I gave him one. Nothing personal. It's fine for a stunt plane in an air show but…well…it's ugly and totally unhistorical.

Give no explanation and the author whines. Give an explanation and Panther whines. :roll:

Yes, all those skins you posted are historical and the base colors are either PC10 or PC12. Bright green linen with very bright purple stripes and fuselage bottom (that was the part that got me :o ) are not even close.

Panther, it doesn't matter what I think. With a very, very few exceptions, every butt ugly skin up for a vote gets approved (along with some really good ones, of which this ain't one).

Obviously, the vast majority share your keen artistic eye and sense of authenticity. :mrgreen: .

"And it's a personal/fictional skin, for goodness sake." Yup. And everyone on MP is going to have to look at it in what is supposed to be an historical combat sim. :?

Next time I'll just vote "no" and keep my mouth shut. :oops:

:S!:

HT

#10 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:22

Well, Panther, I usually just vote "no" without an explanation for skins I don't like but poor Agent86 asked for a why and I gave him one. Nothing personal. It's fine for a stunt plane in an air show but…well…it's ugly and totally unhistorical.

Give no explanation and the author whines. Give an explanation and Panther whines. :roll:

Yes, all those skins you posted are historical and the base colors are either PC10 or PC12. Bright green linen with very bright purple stripes and fuselage bottom (that was the part that got me :o ) are not even close.

Panther, it doesn't matter what I think. With a very, very few exceptions, every butt ugly skin up for a vote gets approved (along with some really good ones, of which this ain't one).

Obviously, the vast majority share your keen artistic eye and sense of authenticity. :mrgreen: .

"And it's a personal/fictional skin, for goodness sake." Yup. And everyone on MP is going to have to look at it in what is supposed to be an historical combat sim. :?

Next time I'll just vote "no" and keep my mouth shut. :oops:

HT

No - I think it was good that you expressed why you voted no, and I would hope that you would continue to do so again whenever you want to vote no (it's much more helpful to me and other skinners when the no-voters do explain their reasoning so we can take it into account, whether we ultimately wind up agreeing with it or not).

As for folks in MP having to look at it, they can solve that problem pretty easily by just using Laser's great Skin Manager tool to delete any fictional skins they don't want to see (so they'll just see a default skin in its place), if they're as concerned about the historical/visual aesthetic as you are. (And I'm not saying you shouldn't be - I would be too - if I played MP, I would certainly prefer to see historically plausible skins rather than ones that looked jarringly out of place, so I sympathize with your views to a large degree).

I guess in the balance between (a) not letting a player use and see their personal skins for themselves and their friends in mods off mode, and (b) making those players who don't want to see a skin go to the relatively small trouble of deleting it with Laser's tool, I tend to err on the side of letting the players use their skins.

#11 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:35

Thank you, Lazer. No. Sorry.

#12 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:54

Panther, I have voted "yes" on many, many personal skins.

The only criteria I use is whether they fit into the general scheme of historical skins.

This one "Missed it by only that much," as Maxwell Smart used to say into his shoe phone (and that really dates both 86 and me). ;)

HT

#13 ST_Agent86

ST_Agent86
  • LocationNorth Woods

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:23

Well guys, I certainly do appreciate the opinions and comments,and I don't take offense to anyone's critique.
You should see some of my LOUD skins LOL. I painted this one to Patriarch's specs and if you want, you can see 2 other planes with very similar paint jobs that have been approved. I think its pretty sharp, but that's just MY opinion. I wont go into the "Historical" / "fictional" thing. But I do agree, that someone being able to see their own creation in a game/sim that they spend hours on end playing and supporting is a huge "perk".
As panther mentioned, you don't have to "see" it in multiplayer. Its very easy to remove skins from your folders with Laser's tool, hmmmm, that doesn't sound right. Or "hand pick them out".
Anyway…..Even though I believe Tom has close ties with K.A.O.S. I appreciate the explanation of a "no" vote. On a final note, I have seen some VERY POOR historical skins in-game.
(fingers crossed) for ya Patriarch! :D

Sorry About That                                                           

#14 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud
  • LocationWaleska, Georgia, USA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 16:32

I voted yes. Phil and Agent are my friends and fellow pilots. And where as I too lean more towards historical or historical feeling skins. But considering some that I've seen (day glow and such) this is mild.

G5fCmYF.png

NEW WINGS VIRTUAL FLIGHT TRAINING

"Hardcore Through Passion"

#15 ER_O_v._Kessler

ER_O_v._Kessler

Posted 20 November 2012 - 17:57

LOL your quick today "no voter" :shock:
Always the same undercover-agents :lol: :lol:

yess :D

Spandau.. What else ?? :icon_mad:

#16 oneeyeddog

oneeyeddog

Posted 20 November 2012 - 23:23

I voted yes. Phil and Agent are my friends and fellow pilots. And where as I too lean more towards historical or historical feeling skins. But considering some that I've seen (day glow and such) this is mild.

+1

#17 Philemmett

Philemmett

Posted 23 November 2012 - 23:40

Mr. Pantercules,
I like the way you think. It's a refreshing way of thinking about a refreshing way of enjoying RoF. Many thanks, Phil -Patriarch-

#18 No.42_Flatspin

No.42_Flatspin

Posted 02 December 2012 - 17:44

A little garish for my taste, but seems well done enough. Voted "Yes"

#19 Ezrie

Ezrie

Posted 02 December 2012 - 19:13

Well guys, I certainly do appreciate the opinions and comments,and I don't take offense to anyone's critique.
You should see some of my LOUD skins LOL. I painted this one to Patriarch's specs and if you want, you can see 2 other planes with very similar paint jobs that have been approved. I think its pretty sharp, but that's just MY opinion. I wont go into the "Historical" / "fictional" thing. But I do agree, that someone being able to see their own creation in a game/sim that they spend hours on end playing and supporting is a huge "perk".
As panther mentioned, you don't have to "see" it in multiplayer. Its very easy to remove skins from your folders with Laser's tool, hmmmm, that doesn't sound right. Or "hand pick them out".
Anyway…..Even though I believe Tom has close ties with K.A.O.S. I appreciate the explanation of a "no" vote. On a final note, I have seen some VERY POOR historical skins in-game.
(fingers crossed) for ya Patriarch! :D

You should post a pic of that pink one you were making for me. :D It was LOUD. :lol:

#20 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 02 December 2012 - 22:03

Yes! :S!: MJ

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#21 realCallahan

realCallahan

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:40

Nice skin, have voted yes!

#22 ST_Agent86

ST_Agent86
  • LocationNorth Woods

Posted 10 December 2012 - 16:46

You should post a pic of that pink one you were making for me. :D It was LOUD. :lol:

Im afraid that pink one was lost due to my computers "illness" a while back. "Sorry about that" :S!:

Sorry About That                                                           

#23 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:02

Poll concluded; thread locked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users