Photo
- - - - -

British gauges (imperial system) on SPAD and Nieuport

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:37

Maybe I'll come up with something new thanks to Veltro, but I need some historical basis.

Did gauges on Nieuport 11, 17 and SPAD 7, 13 were replace by Zenith instruments (for altimeter) or by tachymeters in miles per hour on those planes, when used in British squadrons?
Or they were equipped with French gauges in metric system (meters and kilometers per hour).

Have you some pictures?

#2 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:43

Oh, and can somebody make a screenshot of the tachymeter in DH2 cockpit, to see the shape of the indicator? I don't own the plane.

#3 1PL-Lucas-1Esk

1PL-Lucas-1Esk
  • LocationPoland/Warsaw

Posted 05 November 2012 - 13:38

I think that the British SPAD 7 had the British instruments installed. I had some pictures of the preserved S.7 and it is clear that those were British gauges. But in this case Iam writing about licensed-built model. No idea about the original planes, but I suspect that those might be changed as well.
At work atm, can not send you the screenshot :/ But looking at the screenshot from RoF store it does have different arrangement and you would need completly different needle animation to fit.

1PL-Lucas
CO of 1.Pułk Lotniczy
http://1pl.boo.pl

#4 Sylvis

Sylvis

Posted 05 November 2012 - 14:40

Oh, and can somebody make a screenshot of the tachymeter in DH2 cockpit, to see the shape of the indicator? I don't own the plane.

The tachometer right?

Cheers! :S!:

#5 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 05 November 2012 - 16:21

Thanks!

Another question: the airpseed indicator MkIVa mesure speed at which altitude? Sea level? Higher?

#6 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 05 November 2012 - 16:31

British guages would make a nice SPAD VII field mod. As for SPAD VIIs, I would love to get a radiator cover pack, for the 150 hp SPAD VII. The 150 hp SPAD is a great ride, but I would like to keep that 150 hp engine warm, when climbing out to the higher altitudes. I would also love a Marlin model 1918 mg weapons mod, for USAS late war SPAD XIIIs, when we get late war SPAD XIIIs.

:S!: MJ

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#7 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 05 November 2012 - 16:47

Please, if you don't have any relevant infos to the subject, post your late war SPAD wishes elsewhere. Thanks.

#8 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 05 November 2012 - 17:10

But looking at the screenshot from RoF store it does have different arrangement and you would need completly different needle animation to fit.

You're right. I was able to replace the French altimeter by the British one, but with the airspeed indicator it is impossible: the needle animation doesn't fit. Plus the British indicator is not linear, when speed is growing there are more space on the indicator.

And I suppose changing the needle animation is much more complicated than just "skinning" the instruments.

#9 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 05 November 2012 - 17:26

But looking at the screenshot from RoF store it does have different arrangement and you would need completly different needle animation to fit.

You're right. I was able to replace the French altimeter by the British one, but with the airspeed indicator it is impossible: the needle animation doesn't fit. Plus the British indicator is not linear, when speed is growing there are more space on the indicator.

And I suppose changing the needle animation is much more complicated than just "skinning" the instruments.

While it would be nice to have British gauges, British gauges would not really add new functionality. I hope that if the team does make a future SPAD VII mod pack that the team will prioritize radiator covers (for the 150 hp) and add a slip indicator, for both versions of the SPAD VII. Radiator covers and a slip indicator would be a great deal more useful than British gauges. The radiator covers would help improve the operations of the 150 hp, and the slip indicator would allow for overall performance enhancement, for both machines. British gauges would just tell you the same info we can already get with the French gauges, only under a different system of measurement.

p.s. I don't know how many USAS SPAD VIIs switched over to Marlin Model 1918 mgs, in the late war period, but if USAS SPAD VIIs did use the Marlin, the Marlin is not currently modeled in game. Some accounts seem to indicate that the Marlin was a remarkably reliable gun, something that will come in handy when jams are modeled in game. So, along with radiator covers and slip indicators, the team might want to add a SPAD VII Marlin weapon mod, if Marlins were used on USAS SPAD VIIs.

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#10 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 05 November 2012 - 17:49

British altimeters on SPAD VII and Nieuport:

#11 piecost

piecost

Posted 05 November 2012 - 18:43

J.j.

I thought that all ASI were calibrated for sea-level until I read on this forum that some French ones were set to other altitudes. I have not explicitly read of them being calibrated at any altitude other than sea-level, but have read a fair number of reports about ASI calibration and am sure it would have been mentioned if different.

Perhaps there might be something relevant in the excellent links Gunsmith86 posted:

Some interesting reading (free)

perhaps a book on air navigation may contain the answer:

http://archive.org/s...age/n4/mode/2up" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://archive.org/s...m/airnavigation … 4/mode/2up

#12 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 05 November 2012 - 19:01

Nice link piecost, the answer is perhaps page 83. But I wait for confirmation of better English readers to be sure.

In French instruments, yes, they weren't always calibrated for speed at altitude 0. As you can see in game.
SPAD XIII and VII ASI are calibrated for 0 and 5000m altitudes, Nieuport XI and XVII ASI are calibrated for speed at 2000m and 4000m.

#13 piecost

piecost

Posted 07 November 2012 - 00:13

Yes, page 83 confirms that, at least Capt Card RN used, ASI calibrated to sea-level. I am 99% confident that all British aeroplanes did the same; RNAS, RFC/RAF and civil. I understand that RNAS used ASI in knots and RFC/RAF in MPH.

Maybe that is why I find the French ASI so difficult to read!

#14 1PL-Lucas-1Esk

1PL-Lucas-1Esk
  • LocationPoland/Warsaw

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:52

OT: French gauges would be very smart for bomber pilots, if we had to input TAS into the bombsight (as it should be) instead of IAS.
Bombing run in Breguet is a nightmare, because you have to climb to 2000/4000 to have a correct reading, then calculate TAS to IAS on selected altitude and finally calculate the wind speed with the IAS put into the bombsight.

1PL-Lucas
CO of 1.Pułk Lotniczy
http://1pl.boo.pl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users