- - - - -

DH2 7851 of 'C' Flight No.32 Sq.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 WWDubya

WWDubya

Posted 04 November 2012 - 22:01

DH2 7851 of 'C' Flight No.32 Sq.

11.6.2012 - Package updated to brighten (make more visible) the roundel in contention. Please re-download.

Get it from Here.

Source:
WINDSOCK DATAFILE 48 -
Pages 1, 22, 23 (courtasy of rOEN911)
"Further views of DH2 7851 of 'C' Flight No.32 Squadron depict a well seasoned sky warrior, having served for six months before being shot down on January 7 1917 by Ltn. Erwin Bohme, his 9th victory. The fate of the pilot, 2/ Lt. F G S Wagner is unknown. The machine features double ammunition drum pockets and balanced ailerons. The distressed look of the fin and tail surfaces is due to the solvent action of the burnt castor oil from the engine. The lower port wing has a roundel on its top surface, denoting a former upper wing location. The squadron markings include black and white wheel covers and C.1 applied in white to the upper surface of the top wings. The C.1 was repeated in black on the white undersurface of the nacelle."

Original

Reworked

Original

Reworked

Enjoy!

#2 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 04 November 2012 - 22:30

Hell! You did again a stunning job here! :shock:

Fantastic weathering…love it!

#3 LordNeuro_Srb

LordNeuro_Srb
  • LocationNovi Sad/Serbia

Posted 04 November 2012 - 22:52

Amezing :S!:

#4 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 04 November 2012 - 23:06

A real beauty.. well done!

#5 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 04 November 2012 - 23:12

The weathering is great!

Yes!

#6 WF2

WF2

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:19

The lower roundel is really on the wrong side of the wing. Should be on the upper, strut side, surface. The picture is deceiving, the roundel looks like its on the bottom but in fact that is just the light shining through the wing causing the illusion it is on the bottom. Look closely at the top surface in the real photos.

Also the statement that an upper wing was used for the lower is a give way.

#7 WWDubya

WWDubya

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:41

Wf2… you're a real piece of work, coming on all high and mighty with your "… is a give away," comment. Insulting folks who provide the community free artwork seems to be a pattern you've cultivated. That behavior deserves a bit of a come-around… brace yourself.

Look at the pictures… they even match the text. If you actually looked –which I'm having a hard time believing you did– the lower port-side wing (that's the one on the left side if you're sitting, in the cockpit, by-the-way) has no roundel on the belly surface (kind of reminds one of a top wing configuration, no?). But, wait, what's that on the top surface of that same wing? oh yeah, that might be a roundel, faint, as if scratched off, just like in the photo. The roundel on the lower wing, belly surface –just so you know– that's on the starboard (right) side, opposite of the port (left) side.

No, that statement about an upper port wing segment being used to repair/replace the lower port wing did not elude me… however you still can not tell left from right, or top from bottom. Until you do, you can keep your snide remarks to your self.

#8 rOEN911

rOEN911

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:50

great job you did here,

Just one question ,the number markings above the wing have the corect color?or its the picture that make it look like that?I dont think that looks like white color :P

#9 WWDubya

WWDubya

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:02

I toned the white way down on the upper wing as it seemed to explode off the screen when it was lighter. oh, wait… I think I feel your elbow in my ribs. :)

#10 WWSandMan

WWSandMan

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:24

Hold on Dub, WF2 has a point. There is a roundel missing from the top side of the lower port wing. Look at the inset painting on the bottom image, the roundel on the lower wing is plainly visible. That same roundel is barely visible in the second image, with the real photo inset showing the top side of the lower left/port wing.

So the port wings will have two top-side roundels (one on each wing), and no bottom-side roundels.

#11 Edward_Gale

Edward_Gale

Posted 05 November 2012 - 13:26

Impressive!

#12 von_Semmel

von_Semmel
  • LocationGermany / Munich

Posted 05 November 2012 - 13:40

Great skin :S!:

#13 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 05 November 2012 - 13:45

Big yes from me. Beautiful job.

#14 No.42_Flatspin

No.42_Flatspin

Posted 05 November 2012 - 13:47

WOW! This skin is gorgeous! The weathering is spectacular…I want this skin on one of my favorite plane in the sim!!

#15 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 05 November 2012 - 18:00

Very nice work. I especially like the weathering of the tail!

#16 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 05 November 2012 - 20:02

Hold on Dub, WF2 has a point. There is a roundel missing from the top side of the lower port wing. Look at the inset painting on the bottom image, the roundel on the lower wing is plainly visible. That same roundel is barely visible in the second image, with the real photo inset showing the top side of the lower left/port wing.

So the port wings will have two top-side roundels (one on each wing), and no bottom-side roundels.

Maybe WF2 does have something of a point, although TBH I can't really tell what that point was supposed to be (her comments about the roundel being on the wrong side of the wing surface just don't make any sense to me).

On the other hand, TBH I don't understand why Dub's response turned so personally negative so fast - IIRC, I suspect there's some sort of residual "bad blood" between those two based on some previous exchanges, but I don't want to go there and it's not really important.

I think if there is a point to be made here (it's one I would make myself and I think it's the one you (Sandman) are trying to make above, and maybe it's what WF2 was really trying to say as well), I think it may be that perhaps the unusually-placed roundel on the top side of the lower port wing should be more prominent than it is on this skin - i.e., perhaps it's been more rubbed off/obscured on the skin than it seems to have been IRL according to the photo posted above.

If it were my skin, I'd probably bring out that roundel a bit more so it was more visible than it is now (though perhaps still not as fully visible as the "real" roundel on the top of the upper port wing), but since it's Dub's skin I'll leave it up to him to decide what to do (if anything) in this regard.

Overall, a very well-done skin Dub, as usual :S!:

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#17 oneeyeddog

oneeyeddog

Posted 05 November 2012 - 20:16

Exceptionally realistic.One of the best renderings I've seen.

#18 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 06 November 2012 - 00:07

With regard to the roundel, it is worth noting that the upper and lower wings of the DH-2 were interchangeable. Replacing one with another that was already prepainted for the other position was not uncommon.

#19 WWDubya

WWDubya

Posted 06 November 2012 - 14:32

I can bring out that lower roundel a little. Thanks for the constructive advice.

#20 Dads1958

Dads1958

Posted 06 November 2012 - 17:32

Great DH2 skin WWDubya
As for folks wanting to see you add a more subdued Brit roundal, I thought your bit of fade/bleed through was sufficient. Took your skin for a spin yesterday. Love the weathering. You are the new DH2 King and your DFW's rock.

#21 FlyingShark

FlyingShark

Posted 06 November 2012 - 17:38

Yes, nice skin.

:S!:

You can vote my post up by clicking the green arrow on the right.

#22 WWSpardog

WWSpardog

Posted 07 November 2012 - 17:50

Excellent job, Dubya.

#23 WWPierre/RO

WWPierre/RO

Posted 07 November 2012 - 18:29

Way to go Dub, on more than one level. :)

#24 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 07 November 2012 - 21:54

Thanks for the reworked version!

#25 Pierrepoint

Pierrepoint

Posted 07 November 2012 - 23:20

Two thumbs up from me!

#26 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:03

Poll concluded; thread locked.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users