Photo
- - - - -

Fokker Dr1 in SPAD XIII camouflage

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Pierrepoint

Pierrepoint

Posted 16 October 2012 - 19:10

Pamuzo & I thought this up, as an alternative to the lozenge camouflage of the previous skin.

I didn't realise how much I liked it, until I saw this screen grab.

Attached File  2012_10_13__8_8_56.jpg   191.1KB   706 downloads

http://www.mediafire...5ppe9xp6sr1c8r9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mediafire...5ppe9xp6sr1c8r9

#2 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 16 October 2012 - 19:33

Just like the Bristol Fighter with German camo, voted no.

#3 AndyJWest

AndyJWest

Posted 16 October 2012 - 19:53

Hell no. We don't want intentionally deceptive skins, full stop.

#4 Dressedwings

Dressedwings
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 16 October 2012 - 19:58

How would you mix up a Tripe with a spad? I say yes.

TOeIhAe.png

^CHECK THE LINK^

#5 Pierrepoint

Pierrepoint

Posted 16 October 2012 - 20:10

Wow, I didn't realise so many pilots are firing at a plane strictly on the colour it is.

I usually use identification of the plane's nationality as a distance estimate for firing. If you can't identify the plane's markings, you're too far away to fire.

#6 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 16 October 2012 - 20:20

Yes! A very clever idea. From the picture, your camouflage seems to work quite well. Great stuff, there! :S!: MJ

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#7 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 16 October 2012 - 20:30

Wow, I didn't realise so many pilots are firing at a plane strictly on the colour it is.
No one in this thread said they do.

However, plane color is one of several cues used to identify aircraft. In the other thread, it was actually admitted that the coloring would be a potential advantage in sneaking into enemy territory. It's clear the idea is to deceive.

Looks like the same purpose here to me.

#8 Pierrepoint

Pierrepoint

Posted 16 October 2012 - 21:19

However, plane color is one of several cues used to identify aircraft. In the other thread, it was actually admitted that the coloring would be a potential advantage in sneaking into enemy territory. It's clear the idea is to deceive.

Looks like the same purpose here to me.

You are way over thinking this. Our idea was as simple as 'how about a Dr1 in SPAD camouflage pattern?'.

Is it because we used the SPAD colouring that bothers you, or had we used the Albatros DIII wing camouflage, that would have been better?

The skin does have an advantage of blending into the ground below, which is exactly the whole point of camuoflage, isn't it?

If my intent was to deceive, I would have asked Pamuzo to put French roundels on the wings.

#9 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 October 2012 - 21:29

I voted yes, it is very good camouflage, someone who flew these planes during the war probably used similar.
I personally would like to see it with the Jasta 6 tail markings.
Cheers,
Spag. :)

Bite off more than you can chew.

Then chew like Hell ! ! !

#10 Pierrepoint

Pierrepoint

Posted 16 October 2012 - 21:49

I voted yes, it is very good camouflage, someone who flew these planes during the war probably used similar.
Cheers,

Send Pamuzo a message and request the change. Request a different serial # though, this one is taken! ;)

Go to http://www.fokkerdr1.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.fokkerdr1.com and look through the list of serial #'s. I always pick one that doesn't have any history behind it.

#11 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 16 October 2012 - 22:17

Cheers,
I'd like to see evidence of that. If so, I'd vote yes. :S!:

#12 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 16 October 2012 - 22:21

You are way over thinking this. Our idea was as simple as 'how about a Dr1 in SPAD camouflage pattern?'.

Is it because we used the SPAD colouring that bothers you, or had we used the Albatros DIII wing camouflage, that would have been better?
You were interested in people saying why they vote No? It's fine that your idea is as stated. I voted No for the reasons I stated.

But, as I said in my other reply, if there is an historical basis for this, I would change my vote. Just need to see some support for that.

#13 Pierrepoint

Pierrepoint

Posted 16 October 2012 - 23:00

You were interested in people saying why they vote No? It's fine that your idea is as stated. I voted No for the reasons I stated.

But, as I said in my other reply, if there is an historical basis for this, I would change my vote. Just need to see some support for that.

So then you're opposed to any markings that aren't historically based? I'm just trying to understand your logic, which right now has me a bit confused. If so, being that this is the fictional skin area, I'm not understanding your objection.

If I had posted it in the historical area, I would understand your opposition.

If I had used the Albatros DIII camouflage pattern would that have been acceptable?

#14 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 16 October 2012 - 23:59

This is only one grade below the captured aircraft markings. I vote 'no.'

#15 Pierrepoint

Pierrepoint

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:22

Are you seriously trying to tell me that a Fokker triplane painted in a SPAD's camouflage would totally take you by surprise, despite the fact the the two planes couldn't have more different profiles?

At no angle does the triplane look anything similar to a SPAD. It's a much smaller plane, rotary vs. in-line engine, tail section totally different, not to mention the obvious, one has 2 wings and the other has 3.

Here's an illustration from wwiaviation.com

Attached File  fokker-d-ii-600px.gif   31.82KB   180 downloads

#16 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:44

As this DR1 is for fictional only, as he is well done with right colors (not too bright not too saturated etc) and as he has the german markings, i vote yes even though i prefer your other DR1 skin with traditional german camo.

#17 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:05

You can use the skin mods-on all you want.

#18 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:45

So then you're opposed to any markings that aren't historically based? I'm just trying to understand your logic, which right now has me a bit confused. If so, being that this is the fictional skin area, I'm not understanding your objection.

If I had posted it in the historical area, I would understand your opposition.

If I had used the Albatros DIII camouflage pattern would that have been acceptable?
Sorry the logic is difficult to understand. I'll try again.

The historical skins are for including the actual paint schemes used on aircraft in WW1. If you find a picture of some aircraft whose paint scheme is not in the game, you can create this skin and lobby to have it included in an historical skin pack.

The fictional skins are for paint schemes that did not exist on aircraft in WW1, primarily to allow for users to have their personalized skins included in the game. This way people can have their own unique identity while flying in RoF. That being said, there are some subjective standards that get applied to fictional skins beyond the standards that would be common for both types of skins packs (that deal with color, saturation, and art work generally). I am not claiming the additional subjective standards are universally applied. Clearly they are not as there are differences of opinion in this thread that demonstrate that some would accept this skin and others would not.

My view is that even fictional skins should still be representative of what one might have seen in WW1. There is a plausibility test here. I am not satisfied that it might have existed in theory, that you could paint a hypothetical scenario where it potentially could have existed despite it seeming to be extremely unlikely it did or would have. I think it needs to be a good bit more believable than that.

As I think the proposed skin is extremely unlikely ever to have existed (not even in kind), I don't support including it. This is my opinion, but that should already be obvious.

Hope that clears it up for you.

#19 Pierrepoint

Pierrepoint

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:52

That clears up my understanding, thanks for replying.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and you have made some clear points in defence of your decision.

You have a much narrower definition of fiction than I thought it would be.

Does the first skin also fall outside of your fictional definition?

Is there an agreed upon standard for what qualifies as a fictional skin?

#20 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:17

I think everyone who voted no are a bit hard on that one…
Fictional = that didn't exist.
This skin completely enter this case and poll, and is much more nicer than plenty others i've seen here.
Furthermore, no crazy markings, no flashing colors, but most of all a DR1 CAN'T be confused with any other plane in game (even Sop Triplan)…

#21 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:38

This skin completely enter this case and poll, and is much more nicer than plenty others i've seen here.
Furthermore, no crazy markings, no flashing colors, but most of all a DR1 CAN'T be confused with any other plane in game (even Sop Triplan)…

+1 This is a very clever idea. He has crosses on his wings, so he is not being deceptive about the side he is on.

:S!: MJ

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#22 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:35

+1 This is a very clever idea. He has crosses on his wings, so he is not being deceptive about the side he is on.

:S!: MJ

+1

Cheers,

#23 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:38

Are you seriously trying to tell me that a Fokker triplane painted in a SPAD's camouflage would totally take you by surprise, despite the fact the the two planes couldn't have more different profiles?

At no angle does the triplane look anything similar to a SPAD. It's a much smaller plane, rotary vs. in-line engine, tail section totally different, not to mention the obvious, one has 2 wings and the other has 3.

Here's an illustration from wwiaviation.com

+1
But you are making a very broad asumption that Entente pilots can count. ;)
Cheers,

#24 Pigmachine

Pigmachine

Posted 17 October 2012 - 17:33

I voted YES of course.. (but one of my votes counts as 3 added NO votes).. but I like it a lot!

#25 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:04

Poll concluded; thread locked.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users