Photo
- - - - -

Hex Camoflauge

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 Yellow_Baron

Yellow_Baron

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:00

I decided to apply my favorite type of Camo to my favorite WW1 Aircraft.
All the required files are in this ZIP:
www.filedropper.com/f2bhexcamo

Pics:
Attached File  2012_10_12__20_20_28.jpg   339.88KB   1008 downloads
Attached File  2012_10_12__20_20_34.jpg   308.96KB   1008 downloads
Attached File  2012_10_13__1_38_38.jpg   182.65KB   1009 downloads

Please let me know if anything has been done wrong.

#2 N28_Uberplane

N28_Uberplane

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:05

Hey… NOT BAD!!!

A huge improvement from your first skin.

=IRFC=

#3 Yellow_Baron

Yellow_Baron

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:57

Rise of Flight is not designed for bright colors. It seems that dark colors always work best.

#4 Pigmachine

Pigmachine

Posted 14 October 2012 - 21:06

Yes from me! The engine-metal seems a bit bright, but it might be the sun , or no front angle of it

Nice camo btw!

#5 Yellow_Baron

Yellow_Baron

Posted 14 October 2012 - 22:00

i did try to make a shiny metal texture by changing the shade of gray. It will be brighter. However, At that angle it was unusually bright.

#6 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 14 October 2012 - 23:04

Great opportunity for friendly fire.

#7 Yellow_Baron

Yellow_Baron

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:29

I think the large RAF symbols would prevent that kind of mistake.

#8 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:35

They won't. The red Spad will take friendly fire just because it is red.

The toughest part of my job is dealing with incompetent clowns who think they're good at their job.

Free Plank!

#9 AndyJWest

AndyJWest

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:01

Not clever at all. You will get hit by friendly fire in multiplayer.

#10 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:03

They won't. The red Spad will take friendly fire just because it is red.

I can personally attest to that….and on more than one occasion.

#11 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:25

German camouflage for German planes, let's stick to that in mods off mode.

#12 J2_Tony

J2_Tony

Posted 15 October 2012 - 15:10

Hex camouflage [sic] on Brisfit? Please let's not.

#13 Yellow_Baron

Yellow_Baron

Posted 15 October 2012 - 20:52

That's okay. For those of you who voted No, please state your reason and I will make improvements.

#14 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 15 October 2012 - 21:08

Voted no because of the false-flag issues that have already been pointed out.

#15 Pigmachine

Pigmachine

Posted 15 October 2012 - 21:18

Voted yes, since I liked the skinning.. and the 'Should we be allowed to fly captured planes'-poll is in the lead with 2 times as many yes.. and there I said no.. but learned my lesson.. and will follow the sheep, or not! :?:

:S!:

#16 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 15 October 2012 - 21:25

A British plane with German camouflage and German markings could be a captured plane…a British plane with British camouflage and German markings could be a captured plane…even a British plane with British camouflage and British markings could be a captured plane.

But a British plane with German camouflage and British markings?

Maybe it was re-captured by the British after the Germans painted it over :lol:

#17 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 15 October 2012 - 22:03

Voted no. But, I am willing to change my vote if it can be shown that this kind camouflage was used by the Entente side and also under what circumstances (i.e. just as a captured plane? Was it rare?) I think mods off skins should be only plausibly historical skins.

#18 Pigmachine

Pigmachine

Posted 15 October 2012 - 22:28

We are after all i the fictional section.. so lets go for 'captured, repainted, and recaptured plane'?
Most of you see the difference of a plane 500 meters away, with or without marking.. ant you sure as hell see the markings before the camo?? I have to have a dr.1 or a sop tripe pretty close to see what it is.. mainly a hint is that it opens fire against me! :x

If he want's to add to the to the difficulties, that chance of someone buying the hubble telescope-mod, and looks at the camo first, mis-count the rivets, and then either fire or not fire upon him, is up to the creator.. but here we have clear marking, and he's prolly on TS anyway, and can anoounce the arrival of his discrete hex-camo?

I can agree that the british where more 'anal' about correct 'standard' scheme.. and I myself haven't changed any brit planes, to suck an extent.

#19 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 15 October 2012 - 22:48

Well, I just got my ass kicked by a Sopwith Pup with German crosses on it. And while it came from a good position where it undoubtadly would have killed me anyway, it's still utterly frustrating.

It might be an interesting skin, but interesting skins can be flown in mods on mode as well.

#20 Pierrepoint

Pierrepoint

Posted 15 October 2012 - 22:57

If anyone attacks that Bristol because of the camouflage, and missed the RAF roundels, they need to be taken off flight status and have their eyes checked.

The pattern is so subtle that you need to almost be standing by the plane to notice it.

And then there's the plane recognition factor…

#21 Pigmachine

Pigmachine

Posted 15 October 2012 - 23:00

@Pierrepoint I like you more for every post you make ;)

While the opposite goes for me against the world :lol:

#22 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 15 October 2012 - 23:49

We are after all i the fictional section..
While true, we are also talking about including skins in no mods mode. Fictional, but plausible skins are OK with me in no mods mode. This one doesn't seem plausible.

If anyone attacks that Bristol because of the camouflage, and missed the RAF roundels, they need to be taken off flight status and have their eyes checked.
Easy to say, but mistakes do happen. There is psychology in seeing what you think you see and you can fool yourself into thinking that airplane in front of you is something other than what it is. Even courts of law are starting to recognize that eyewitness accounts are not nearly as reliable as once believed.

#23 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 16 October 2012 - 00:00

Well, I just got my ass kicked by a Sopwith Pup with German crosses on it. And while it came from a good position where it undoubtadly would have killed me anyway, it's still utterly frustrating.

It might be an interesting skin, but interesting skins can be flown in mods on mode as well.

Use the BS skin-remover tool.

#24 Yellow_Baron

Yellow_Baron

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:30

Remember, Hex Camo doesn't determine the side a plane is on. It's just a style of camoflauge.

#25 AndyJWest

AndyJWest

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:33

Remember, Hex Camo doesn't determine the side a plane is on. It's just a style of camoflauge.

It's a style of camouflage used exclusively by the Central Powers - use it online and you'll get hit by friendly fire.

#26 Yellow_Baron

Yellow_Baron

Posted 16 October 2012 - 18:45

It could also make it easy to get past enemy lines undetected. That's a good thing about it.

#27 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 16 October 2012 - 19:31

Which actually supports the argument that false identification is its purpose. :)

My vote stays no, but if it does get in I will just remove the skin from my install (thanks Gavagai for the reminder!).

#28 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 16 October 2012 - 19:34

Use the BS skin-remover tool.

That's the second defense. The voting system is the first defense :).

#29 AndyJWest

AndyJWest

Posted 16 October 2012 - 19:50

It could also make it easy to get past enemy lines undetected. That's a good thing about it.

That amounts to an admission that the skin is intended to be intentionally deceptive. If you want to cheat, do it somewhere else.

#30 Yellow_Baron

Yellow_Baron

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:27

I just thought the camo looked cool. Someone else noted that you needed to be up close to see it. if you looked at it from another plane, the first thing you would see is the RAF emblem.

#31 Pierrepoint

Pierrepoint

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:32

I just thought the camo looked cool. Someone else noted that you needed to be up close to see it. if you looked at it from another plane, the first thing you would see is the RAF emblem.

How about making a video with one plane with the camo and another one above, and every 200ft take a screen grab and see how close you have to be to the plane before you could recognize the camo scheme?

#32 Yellow_Baron

Yellow_Baron

Posted 20 October 2012 - 17:53

Sorry I took so long to reply. I've been busy lately. I will give that a try

#33 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 21 October 2012 - 00:34

Definitely, I've shot up a Brisfit before because it had a red and white paint-job. Never even saw the markings until it was too late. Hex on a Brisfit camo is going to get you killed by your own guys.

#34 Pierrepoint

Pierrepoint

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:21

Definitely, I've shot up a Brisfit before because it had a red and white paint-job. Never even saw the markings until it was too late. Hex on a Brisfit camo is going to get you killed by your own guys.

So you're blaming the Brisfit because you shot at it, without making sure of what you were shooting at?

Just like hunting, you don't shoot unless you are sure of what you are shooting at. You did the shooting, the blame lies with you.

#35 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:40

When you go hunting you don't wear a deer costume.

#36 AndyJWest

AndyJWest

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:43

+1

#37 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:26

So you're blaming the Brisfit because you shot at it, without making sure of what you were shooting at?

Just like hunting, you don't shoot unless you are sure of what you are shooting at. You did the shooting, the blame lies with you.

Yes thank you for that report from fantasy-land. It's obvious you're a bomber pilot.

The eye sees what it expects to see. A red and white plane looks German, a hex painted plane looks German, a Blenheim bomber looks German, go Google "The Battle of Barking Creek" you smarmy shit.

#38 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:23

I dont care how much this plane or that silly DrI can be confused with other planes. I simply dont like to see camouflage on a plane that is not supposed to have it.

Fictional skins are nice in that everyone can have their personal skin to fly with, virtual squadrons can have their distinctive markings, and postwar planes or planes that were not involved in the conflict can be added too.

But sometimes it seems people want to turn every silly idea they had on the toilet, into a skin. Thats fine too, but please dont add them to the skinpacks. I seriously doubt the makers will be flying the skins themselves very much, and they only add to the workload of the developers and panthercules, they add to the skinpack size, and they add to thhe workload of people who like fictional skins but want to prune them of the nonsensical ones.

Prime examples there, are planes with camouflage patterns from the other sides, planes with wrong markings, or a personal favourite when it comes to voting 'no', planes with camouflage made out of the ground texture (and then a summer, autumn and winter variant!).

I wouldnt even mind a pink plane with bunnies on it, but by golly, if you want to add it, make sure youre gonna fly it!

And thus my motivation.

#39 Pierrepoint

Pierrepoint

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:19

Hardly a proper comparison. There's nothing wrong with the Brisfit painted red & white. If it has the British markings on it, it's the other pilots responsibility to know what they're shooting at.

Some French aircraft were colourfully painted, The person pulling the trigger is responsible at all times for what they're shooting at. Don't try and shift the blame to the other person for your mistake.

As long as the plane has proper national markings, the blame lies with the person pulling the trigger.

Know what you're shooting at. Shooting at something simply because it's painted painted a certain colour will get you court martialled every time.

#40 Pierrepoint

Pierrepoint

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:20

Hardly a proper comparison. There's nothing wrong with the Brisfit painted red & white. If it has the British markings on it, it's the other pilots responsibility to know what they're shooting at.

Some French aircraft were colourfully painted, The person pulling the trigger is responsible at all times for what they're shooting at. Don't try and shift the blame to the other person for your mistake.

As long as the plane has proper national markings, the blame lies with the person pulling the trigger.

Know what you're shooting at. Shooting at something simply because it's painted a certain colour will get you court martialled every time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users