Photo
- - - - -

Mod Search and Removal Tool

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:52

Sometime it may happen that user installed a mod for ROF and forgot about it after some time.
Of course, if you play "mods off" then it is not a problem, but then, once you turn them on again some unexpected surprises may happen.

I've made a small utility that looks for modded files in ROF and optionally delete some of them. Deletion should be safe but use at your own risk.

In terms of ROF a mod is any file that has the same name as one of standard game files from gtp archives.

Just extract the archive into ROF main folder and run ModSearch.
Attached File  modsearch.jpg   77.88KB   2050 downloads

Attached Files

#2 3instein

3instein

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:51

Hi anKor85,
I ran your mod search and it returned quite a lot of stuff.
Mostly aircraft skins by the look of it.But at the top there looks to be a couple of lua.scripts?
How do I know what to delete?

Attached File  Untitled.jpg   164.88KB   2026 downloads

Cheers again for the help bud,
Mick. :S!:

Attached File  modlist.png   132.61KB   2027 downloads

#3 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:04

Skins are OK of course, although I wonder why they appear as mods.

Judging by file names inside luascripts folder it looks like they are AI and gunnery mods. They can cause crashes if they were made for oldук versions of ROF.
So if you don't use these mods (I recall you said you have nothing installed by JSGME) then you can just mark "luascripts" folder and the tool will automatically select all modded files inside that folder. Then click "Delete Selected" to delete them.

#4 Joker_BR

Joker_BR

Posted 11 October 2012 - 14:08

Thanks. Nice utility!

#5 3instein

3instein

Posted 11 October 2012 - 19:03

Cheers for the help you are giving me anKor,and that utility is a great wee tool.

I remember a while back I had the ai mods installed,not sure if it was with JSGME at the time or not.
I now always fly with no mods on at all,so I will tick the luascript box and hopefully by deleting these unused mod files that will do the trick.
I will keep you posted bud,
Again thanks for helping,

#6 3instein

3instein

Posted 11 October 2012 - 20:09

Hi anKor,that seemed to do the trick. :D
I checked the lua box and let it delete whatever,quite a lot.There was still stuff left that it didn't delete but I am sure they are just skins.
I just flew a complete PWCG mission and even claimed 4 Albatros D.III's. :0o:
I only had time to do one complete mission but all seems good,very good here thank's to yourself,cheers.
You guys that made this mod are awesome,it makes it so much more fun,the furball that ensued was the biggest I have seen in ROF and was a joy and nervous to be involved in.
Brilliant,

#7 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:47

Awesome little tool - I've almost always used JSGME to install any mods, so after telling JSGME to deactivate all mods (including skins) I didn't expect to find much, but I wanted to run this and see if any traces from old experiments did exist. Sure enough, the tool found a couple of old files left over from some experiments with new clouds several updates ago, so I had the tool delete them. Great way to make sure you've got a pristine, stock RoF installation, to eliminate stray things that might cause problems down the road.

Thanks again :S!:

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#8 Dietz

Dietz

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:11

Does this tool work on other flight sims like say Il-2 Sturmovik? :?:

#9 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:04

Does this tool work on other flight sims like say Il-2 Sturmovik?
No, it is for ROF only, because it loads ROF-specific data format to decide which files are mods.

I don't know if anything like this can be made for IL-2 as I don't play that game much and don't know how mods work there.

#10 Dietz

Dietz

Posted 21 November 2012 - 16:37

Does this tool work on other flight sims like say Il-2 Sturmovik?
No, it is for ROF only, because it loads ROF-specific data format to decide which files are mods.

I don't know if anything like this can be made for IL-2 as I don't play that game much and don't know how mods work there.

This is a handy little gadget.First it cleared up some wierd glitch I was getting from somewhere & then when I readded some JGSME mods which conflicted with one another in someway or another causing a crash I used this again & again I'm up & flying!
Many thanks!!! :x

#11 DudkoB

DudkoB

Posted 25 November 2012 - 13:49

Thanks for this nice tool AnKor85!
:S!:

#12 DerAck

DerAck
  • LocationRhinebeck, NY - USA

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:43

Greetings und good evening all
Once again I find myself coming here in search of and to request aid re
the installation of an ROF mod, even a JSGME type, with which nobody else
seems to have had the slightest difficulty with their installation.
Much akin to my bout mit Herr Panther's "Panther Pack Scarf und Streamer Mods,
which went perfectly into one of my PCs, but not the other - same download, I've
been attempting to run (successfully, that is) the subject Mod Search/Removal
Tool/Mod since it made it's appearance here.
Herr anKor85, good Sir - I ran your Mod Search and Removal Tool - and did "Just"
extract the archive into ROF's main folder - both machines - the results are as
the following attachments, plus the blank Form screen of the Mod.
Panthercules, good and kind Sir - might you just be lurking about here - once again??
How do I decipher, and comply with whatever the three attachments require of
me - I have absolutely no idea what it/they are are dismally attempting to impart to me.
Any und all assistance most graciously appreciated.
Ah, almost forgot - I did click on continue - that's what brought up the blank Mod form
screen - nothing else - 'cept the "Red X".

Attached Files

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

#13 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:25

I am lurking here, but unfortunately those error messages are Greek to me and I can't help you with these - hopefully AnKor85 or someone more familiar than me with the mysteries of the Microsoft .NET Framework will be able to help you out.

Good luck!

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960

#14 DerAck

DerAck

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:51

Herr Panthercules
Not recalling a/the good German word for "Panther", just referred
to das Wörterbuch/dictionary - said "Panther", "Puma", und "Jaguar"
- all same as auf English. Was a thought.
Thank you for the schnell reply - thought you might be "Lurking".
MODS, bah, Haarumph - two of the last three - grief. Did somehow
manage to get both of the ins Kino/movie theater atmospheres exchanged
for the Trenches - without assist or wails for it.
Thanks for the reply - und being "handy".

#15 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 01 December 2012 - 19:20

DerAck,
Most likely you've extracted the archive into the wrong folder.
Just to be sure - ROF's main folder is something like "C:\Games\Rise of Flight" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Rise of Flight" (maybe "C:\Programme (x86)\Rise of Flight" in German version). So NOT its "data" folder, but the first one.

#16 DerAck

DerAck

Posted 01 December 2012 - 21:46

DerAck,
Most likely you've extracted the archive into the wrong folder.
Just to be sure - ROF's main folder is something like "C:\Games\Rise of Flight" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Rise of Flight" (maybe "C:\Programme (x86)\Rise of Flight" in German version). So NOT its "data" folder, but the first one.

Herr AnKor85
Not so good Sir - my ROF is located in "OS(C:)/Program Files(x86)/Rise of Flight" und your "Mod
Search.exe" has been deposited "upon" said Heading ROF folder (prior to opening ROF), and is
presently situated two folders below the JSGME.exe, "on top" and visable when ROF is
opened.
Vielen Dank for your reply - aber, no Cigar.

EDIT: Although ROF in both machines was operating without inherent error(s),I've uninstalled
the subject Mod, performed a complete "Recovery" on one PC, downloaded a fresh Mod from
"Here", and installed same - in same correct ROF folder.
You remain - without the Cigar.

EDIT 2: It would appear the "Gremlins From The Kremlin" (circa Bugs Bunny cartoon) have gone to
dinner or are now on strike - did Exactly as described in Edit 1 above - again.
Congratulations - the "White Owl" is yours.

#17 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 01 December 2012 - 23:28

@ DerAck - it may be a language thing, but I find your attempted explanation of where you put the file(s) to be a bit hard to follow (especially the part about "two folders below"). Perhaps it would be best if you would simply post the exact directory/folder path to the file(s) in question - for example, in my installation, the path to the ModSearch.exe file is as follows:

C:\Games\Rise of Flight\ModSearch.exe

and the path to JSGME.exe is exactly the same:

C:\Games\Rise of Flight\JSGME.exe

and the path to my JSGME MODS folder is exactly the same:

C:\Games\Rise of Flight\MODS

Are all your files/folders in that same relative position or do you have some other folder structure going on?

#18 Der.Mo

Der.Mo

Posted 31 December 2012 - 14:50

I found to modded files: …/grapics/sky/clear/sky.ini and …/swf/interface.gfx
Do you think deleting them will cause problems?

Greetings

#19 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 31 December 2012 - 15:01

interface.gfx is my PWCG GUI mod. If you delete it you won't get PWCG button :)
sky.ini is clouds configuration file (for clear weather in your case). Not sure how did you get it modded, but should be safe to delete.

#20 Der.Mo

Der.Mo

Posted 31 December 2012 - 18:58

interface.gfx is my PWCG GUI mod. If you delete it you won't get PWCG button :)
sky.ini is clouds configuration file (for clear weather in your case). Not sure how did you get it modded, but should be safe to delete.

Ahh of course, my bad, its the PWCG interface :?
But i have other huge problems now, which are NOT related to mods..

Antialiasing ON now gives me the weirdest graphic problems like massive fps drops, distorted ground graphic textures, white scenery and total freeze of the game :o

Sorry i know wrong topic but i had to get this off my chest

Attached File  rof 1.JPG   167.06KB   315 downloads

EDIT: And now the WORST CASE SCENARIO: RoF doen´t start anymore,did a RoF recovery, did a System recovery..nothing. since 2009 all was fine , always!
and now this..OMG (gets pale and falls over)

#21 sallee

sallee

Posted 30 September 2013 - 20:27

AnKor. You are a very clever man. Just solved my issue that I couldn't run with mods on.
Thank you!

#22 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 13 January 2014 - 19:46

up

#23 Blackard

Blackard

Posted 15 January 2014 - 20:06

Question. Is this useful to have if we are using JSGME to keep and organize mods as they seem to be all located in the Mods folder for me. Starting up, adding things and trying to be cautious so that I don't screw up anything I've done to date, or double up on things. Still trying to figure it all out.

Thanks.

#24 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 15 January 2014 - 22:09

Well, I know for sure that sometimes JSMGE, even if you desactivate corretly a mod, leaves some "traces" behind. It is quite rare, but it happens. This tool enables you, from time time to time, to check if you have desactivated correctly all the mods using JSMGE… or not…

#25 Blackard

Blackard

Posted 16 January 2014 - 00:37

Well, I know for sure that sometimes JSMGE, even if you desactivate corretly a mod, leaves some "traces" behind. It is quite rare, but it happens. This tool enables you, from time time to time, to check if you have desactivated correctly all the mods using JSMGE… or not…

K. Makes sense. Was sort of thinking along those lines.

Appreciate it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users