Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

ROF GUI Mod for PWCG Released

• Please log in to reply
542 replies to this topic

#41 OlPaint01

OlPaint01

Posted 09 October 2012 - 15:18

The "PWCG_GUI_Mod_1028_v1" is not working for me. I am running PWCG_v11.4 and ROF_v1.028 with ModsOn on my Windows XP Pro SP3 computer . After installing PWCG_GUI_Mod is see the PWCG button on the ROF main screen task bar after going 'Online'. When I click on PWCG button, I immmediately get ROF minimized to the Windows TaskBar and get a Notepad window to popup containing a .VBS script as follows:

"
Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Set oFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
DataDir = oFSO.GetParentFolderName(WScript.ScriptFullName)
PWCGDir = oFSO.GetParentFolderName(oFSO.GetAbsolutePathName("..\RoFCampaign\RoFCampaign.jar"))
oFSO.DeleteFile WScript.ScriptFullName
Dim Timestamp
TmpPath = oFSO.BuildPath(PWCGDir, "autostart.tmp")
If oFSO.FileExists(TmpPath) THEN
Set oFile = oFSO.GetFile(TmpPath)
Timestamp = oFile.DateLastModified
Set oFile = Nothing
END IF
oShell.CurrentDirectory = PWCGDir
oShell.Run oFSO.GetFileName("..\RoFCampaign\RoFCampaign.jar") & " -integrated", 1, True
oShell.AppActivate("Rise of Flight")
oShell.SendKeys "{Enter}"
IF oFSO.FileExists(TmpPath) THEN
Set oFile = oFSO.GetFile(TmpPath)
IF Timestamp <> oFile.DateLastModified THEN
oFile.Copy oFSO.BuildPath(DataDir,"PWCG.autostart.txt"), True
ELSE
oFile.Delete
END IF
Set oFile = Nothing
END IF
"

This text file is written to the "C:\Program Files\Rise of Flight\data" directory with a name of '~tmpXXXXXXX.vbs' where the x's are what appear to be random alpha/numeric characters. Everytime I attempted to test ROF with PWCG GUI installed, a new '~tmpxxxxxxx.vbs' file is written with the same identical text as above.

And as I stated before, the 'Rise of Flight' game is also minimized to the TaskBar. I can restore the game to full screen by clicking on the minimized ROF task. Now back in the game, I get a "PWCG" information window that states 'Waiting for the next mission…' with a CANCEL button.

When I click the CANCEL button, I am put into the Hangar with the the normal hangar view of my aircraft revolving, like as if I am walking around it.

When I click the Mission button, I get new "PWCG" information window that states 'Do you want to turn off mission text logs? They are needed by PWCG but produce unnecessery files each time you fly a normal mission. The game will restart to apply this change.' with a YES, NO, and CANCEL buttons.

I select the CANCEL button, and the game offers the regular 'Missions list' window where I can select the PWCG mission I had previously built in PWCG Application (before I launched ROF) to fly. When I select that PWCG mission, I can fly the previously built PWCG mission normally.

I finish the mission. And then I return to the Hanger. I get new "PWCG" information window that states 'Do you want to turn off mission text logs? They are needed by PWCG but produce unnecessery files each time you fly a normal mission. The game will restart to apply this change.' with a YES, NO, and CANCEL buttons.

When I choose CANCEL, I get the 'Rise of Flight' game minimized to the TaskBar again. I can restore the game to full screen by clicking on the minimized ROF task. Now back in the game I get a "PWCG" information window that states 'Waiting for the next mission…' with a CANCEL Button.

When I click CANCEL, the NotePad window pops up with the .VBS script showing. I can restore ROF and I go back to the Hanger screen…

I find that I get another "~tmpxxxxxx.vbs" file written to "C:\Program Files\Rise of Flight\data" directory with the identical .VBS script text.

Note: In both line4 and line14 of the .VBS script, the directory location of the "RoFCampaign.jar" executable is not fully resolved ("..\RoFCampaign\RoFCampaign.jar"). Should not the script point to the fully resolved directory "C:\program files\Rise of Flight\RoFCampaign\RoFCampaign.jar" for the location of the RoFCampaign.jar executable instead?

I never get the PWCG Application to launch from within ROF at all.

OlPaint

P.S. I can restore normal operation of ROF by renaming "C:\Program Files\Rise of Flight\data\swf\interface.gfx" file to "..\interface.gfx.bak", And then relaunching ROF.

P.P.S. BTW, my comments about using the 'Fully Resolved' directory address for "ROFCampaign\ROFCampaign.jar" in my posting above also had to be applied to in my original PWCG Application 'Config Setup' in order to get the original PWCG to work at all for me!!!

OlPaint

#42 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 09 October 2012 - 15:39

OlPaint01, I answered on SimHQ forums.
For everyone who may (unlikely) have the same problem: if ~tmpXXXXXXX.VBS file is opened in notepad when you try to start PWCG then you've somehow got .VBS files associated with NotePad. Instead they should be runnable just like .EXE of .BAT.
To restore the association use either solutions provided here
http://www.winhelpon...n-with-notepad/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.winhelpon....com/blog/vbscr … h-notepad/
or here
http://www.sevenforu...how-change.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.sevenforu...om/general-disc … hange.html

By the way, Avatar, you may also want to check if there any "~tmpXXXXXX.VBS" files in your Rise of Flight "data" folder.
It they are there, then for some reason they neither run (as intented) nor opened in Notepad (as happens with OlPaint01) as and that's why nothing happens when you click on PWCG.
If nothing like that is there they were run and deleted themselves, but for some reason still failed to start PWCG.

#43 Avatar

Posted 09 October 2012 - 16:54

Try doing an alternate clean install of ROF with no other mods other then PWCG and GUI Mod. See if that works. If it does, it's something in your install

Thanks Jason, before I was going to try this I decided to deactivate my security suite and sure enough it was the problem! I should have known better. This mod, the only one I've ever used, is trying to do something new compared to standard RoF (trying to start another program) and I wasn't getting a pop-up window asking for permission like I should be so I shut it all down and it worked as intended.

ASUS Maximus VII, i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 970 SSC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133, Win 7 Pro, Track IR5, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, 2 MFCDs, 32" Bravia & 2 19" Syncmaster monitors

#44 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV USA

Posted 09 October 2012 - 17:08

Glad it's working Avatar.

Jason

#45 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 09 October 2012 - 17:09

Thanks for making this, seems like a great addition for PWCG users!

Now we just need a PWCG that makes coop missions (just make the other planes in the player's flight available to fly), and an accompanying interface that automatically starts the mission on a listen server :)

(Or is that a very strange idea?)

#46 gwalch

gwalch

Posted 09 October 2012 - 17:29

Now I am really confused!
I would like to use Pat's generator but everything seems so complicated.
Are there different versions? If so which one do you start with?
Must I make a copy of my game?
If I don't,will I risk spoiling what already works perfectly?
Perhaps I should leave well alone but I am so tired of Beta career.
Anyway,if anyone can help,thank you,and please remember,I'm a farmer not a computer expert!

Edit,just had a look at more posts.
More confusion!
I think I will wait till ROF devs have time to work on career.

#47 aircastellon

aircastellon

Posted 09 October 2012 - 17:30

Just have two installs of ROF. One for Mods On and one for Mods Off. It's what I do and totally easy with ROF. Just copy the whole folder and make a new shortcut.

Jason

Seems easy Jason but when you update the game, you must copy the entire folder another time or you run the update two times (for mods on and mods off)?.

Thanks

You recommend me install the game or copy the RoF folder?…

#48 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 09 October 2012 - 17:53

Now I am really confused!
I would like to use Pat's generator but everything seems so complicated.
Are there different versions? If so which one do you start with?
Must I make a copy of my game?
If I don't,will I risk spoiling what already works perfectly?
Perhaps I should leave well alone but I am so tired of Beta career.
Anyway,if anyone can help,thank you,and please remember,I'm a farmer not a computer expert!

Edit,just had a look at more posts.
More confusion!
I think I will wait till ROF devs have time to work on career.

Hey! I am RoF's Numero Uno Non-Geek (forget computers, when I was in school we had manual typewriters and slide rules) and I got it set up just fine, so if I can do it, anyone can. :mrgreen:

Just download it from Useful Materials and follow the step-by-step instructions that are included in the download.

It really is very simple to set up.

If you have problems, just ask, but, really, stop wringing your hands and saying "Woe is me!" and give it a try. As we say here in Arizona: Cowboy up! :mrgreen:

#49 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 09 October 2012 - 17:54

You just need to copy the folder. I have 4 :) : 1. ROF (for online play),2.ROF MOD, 3.ROF Modding (to test mods), ROF beta. No problem, all can be updated seperately if you want to.

#50 gwalch

gwalch

Posted 09 October 2012 - 17:59

Thanks Tom,your a pal.
Thank you too WW1EAF.
Will give it a go tonight.

#51 von_Heimler

von_Heimler
  • LocationChilliwack, BC Canada

Posted 09 October 2012 - 18:12

Salute!

I just found this thread and it Looks like a step forward for Pat's campaign. I'm an avid Beta career user as it has a lot of things that help with immersion that the PWCG is missing ie: flak barrages. However, I do have Pat's campaign installed as I follow any improvements made to see if it gets better. I've downloaded the mod and am going to give it a try as it's definitely a plus not having to switch back and forth between programs.

PWCG v11.4 currently works fine as it was, so I've gathered from the previous posts that I just install the mod, activate mods on and am good to go.

Thanks to Jason and 777 studios for hosting this addition! :)

Cheers,

Signature_zpsy2runyft.jpg

"Become an Ace by mastering your aircraft!"

#52 aircastellon

aircastellon

Posted 09 October 2012 - 19:38

Hi, where I can find the last version of PWCG?…

Thanks a lot

#53 FifthColumnist

FifthColumnist

Posted 09 October 2012 - 19:47

Thanks a lot

Useful Materials

Edit: Great work on this, good to see progress being made on integration, hope to see much more in the future.

#54 aircastellon

aircastellon

Posted 09 October 2012 - 19:52

Thanks a lot

Thanks guy

#55 von_Heimler

von_Heimler

Posted 09 October 2012 - 20:03

OlPaint01, I answered on SimHQ forums.
For everyone who may (unlikely) have the same problem: if ~tmpXXXXXXX.VBS file is opened in notepad when you try to start PWCG then you've somehow got .VBS files associated with NotePad. Instead they should be runnable just like .EXE of .BAT.
To restore the association use either solutions provided here
http://www.winhelpon...n-with-notepad/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.winhelpon....com/blog/vbscr … h-notepad/
or here
http://www.sevenforu...how-change.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.sevenforu...om/general-disc … hange.html

By the way, Avatar, you may also want to check if there any "~tmpXXXXXX.VBS" files in your Rise of Flight "data" folder.
It they are there, then for some reason they neither run (as intented) nor opened in Notepad (as happens with OlPaint01) as and that's why nothing happens when you click on PWCG.
If nothing like that is there they were run and deleted themselves, but for some reason still failed to start PWCG.

I just had this issue and found an easier to follow fix for Windows 7 here

Cheers,

#56 aircastellon

aircastellon

Posted 09 October 2012 - 20:07

What do you mean hanging for the next mission? Where is it hanging? In ROF or PWCG?

It hangs here in RoF:

PWCG never launches. Yes, I alt-tab to make sure it's not staying behind the main RoF window.

I have the same problem but… I must play the campaign offline or online?

Thanks a lot

#57 OlPaint01

OlPaint01

Posted 09 October 2012 - 21:21

@Ankor85

I followed your suggestion that you posted over at the SimHQ forum. All I can say is that the PWCG_GUI_Mod is now working as advertised. Thanks a heep!!!
Here is the link to the SimHQ Thread:
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3658960/ROF_GUI_Mod_for_PWCG_Released.html#Post3658960

Thanks again for this cool interface between my favorite game and utility.

OlPaint

#58 gwalch

gwalch

Posted 09 October 2012 - 21:43

Well,I'm still lagging behind most of you.
Downloaded the generator,but can't seem to get it into the actual game.
Hot Tom told me to "cowboy up".Ok,I'm now Gabby Hays!

Edit,where is my ROF game folder?
Have opened file location thing but can't see it.

#59 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 09 October 2012 - 21:59

It should be inside your Programs folder…

#60 gwalch

gwalch

Posted 09 October 2012 - 22:15

Sorry Tom,nothing marked Prog folder in my "file location".
I may be in the wrong place,but I did try to warn you!
Shall leave you in peace now,more fencing to be done tomorrow.
Gabby…………..

#61 von_Heimler

von_Heimler

Posted 09 October 2012 - 22:19

Salute!

Well I finally got time to actually try the GUI mod out and fly a mission. This is absolutely great, however, I must admit it's going to take some getting used to as I failed to click fly mission and chose accept instead which caused me to have RoF not expand so I could fly the mission. I had to alt-tab to get back to RoF to do it. Maybe make the accept mission choice in PWCG do the same as selecting fly mission, just a thought.

Well, back to flying!

Cheers,

#62 von_Heimler

von_Heimler

Posted 09 October 2012 - 22:27

Well,I'm still lagging behind most of you.
Downloaded the generator,but can't seem to get it into the actual game.
Hot Tom told me to "cowboy up".Ok,I'm now Gabby Hays!

Edit,where is my ROF game folder?
Have opened file location thing but can't see it.

I installed RoF to C:\Games\Rise of Flight so that is MY game directory. If you used the default directory when you installed RoF it should be C:\Program Files\Rise of Flight or if using Windows 7 it should be C:\Program Files(x86)\Rise of Flight

just unzip the generator into the Rise of Flight folder then read the Rich text format file (rtf) that is there to get it running.

This GUI mod also unzips directly into the Rise of Flight folder.

hope this helps,

#63 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:09

Hmm. When I hit the button in the GUI, it opens the campaign generator just fine, but RoF stays frozen and minimised in the taskbar. I can hear the menu music but can't get back into the game. Is there some Win7 feature that needs to be enabled to get it to work?

#64 Stick-95

Stick-95

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:24

Many versions ago I tried PWCG and found it confusing (I know, it's me). With the release of the GUI mod I thought I would give it a shot. Easy to install and use. I put the GUI in the JSGMEMODS folder and activated it. Started a N17 campaign. So far so good. Are there any conflicts with the mods in gavagai's mod pack?

#65 von_Heimler

von_Heimler

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:59

Hmm. When I hit the button in the GUI, it opens the campaign generator just fine, but RoF stays frozen and minimised in the taskbar. I can hear the menu music but can't get back into the game. Is there some Win7 feature that needs to be enabled to get it to work?

Salute Feathered_IV,

Once in the generator view the various info you need to that's available, however, to get back to the RoF program you need to generate a mission and click "Fly Mission" clicking any other button leaves you in the generator. Once back in RoF you will see a proceed button to start your flight.

You also have the option of clicking "Exit" at the main screen of the generator which will also bring you back to RoF.

Good luck,

#66 Raine

Raine

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:46

Ran smooth as silk. This is a great addition to ROF!

#67 Pierre2

Pierre2
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:31

Bloody brilliant, worked like a charm. Well done all involved, you have made a great sim even better.

#68 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:41

Thanks VH! I'll give that a shot this evening. Much appreciated. ;)

#69 von_Heimler

von_Heimler

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:07

No Worries!

#70 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:38

Amazingly cool. Worked like a charm, first time with no hiccups. Put the GUI mod and PWCG 11.4 into separate JSGME mod packages, activated them both with JSGME, went into RoF and clicked the PWCG menu item, told it to activate log/reporting, waited for it briefly to restart the game, started a new campaign and created a new mission in PWCG, then clicked Fly Mission and away we went in RoF. Ended the mission in RoF and was back in PWCG to check the mission reports etc.

The only thing I couldn't figure out how to do was to make entries in the PWCG journal (only choice seemed to be "finished reading", though there was nothing there yet to read - couldn't see anything to trigger being able to type anything into the journal), but I'm sure the answer to that one is somewhere in the PWCG support thread or the readme file or something.

Jason et al - thanks for this unexpected surprise. RoF just keeps getting better and better :S!:

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 43.jpg

#71 Rover_27

Rover_27

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:13

Seems like a brilliant solution and I'm sure I follow the procedure given in the first post here. The only thing - and you can start calling me names - where is that Fly Mission button in PWCG?! I create a mission and there is only Accept mission button in the PWCG GUI in the upper left corner. I hit it - the GUI switches to squadron blackboard but RoF keeps waiting for the next mission forever. So, where's the bloody Fly mission button? That's all I want to know. Thank you guys.

#72 Rover_27

Rover_27

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:43

Ok, now this thing starts when I hit the GUI button in RoF. Maybe this prevents it from integration as well. I'm puzzled.

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.JPG   146.59KB   267 downloads

#73 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:51

"Fly Mission" is on the same screen as "Accept Mission", but it is in the upper-middle part instead of upper-left.
It appears only when you start PWCG from Rise of Flight UI.

Try to download and install the latest version of Java from here http://www.java.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.java.com/ it may help with crashes.
Also, can you take a look into your "Rise of Flight\RoFCampaign" folder (the one where RoFCampaign.jar file is) - are there any log files with names starting with "hs_err_pid"?
If they are there, please zip them and send me in PM or attach here.

#74 Rover_27

Rover_27

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:10

Yuppppiiieeee!!! The magical magic of Java update! Now it works like charm. Thank you AnKor85

#75 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:14

Great! No need for logs then :)

#76 Tandler

Tandler

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:30

Hi there.

I found the name must not have contain a diacritics. I put the name René Beauchamps and nothing happened when I press accept mission in ROF. Just found a new campaign with different name and everything works fine.

#77 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:48

Tandler,
To be honest, I'm not sure if PWCG supports names with such characters at all. I recall there were such problems before, but not sure if they are fixed by Pat.
I will check how GUI mod handles them, but a bit later.
Thanks for the report.

#78 gwalch

gwalch

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:59

Just want to thank von Heimler.
Forgot game was on my "D" drive.
Still trying but can't,as yet,get it to "stick" there.
Very helpful and patient bunch here.Great.

#79 ER_O_v._Kessler

ER_O_v._Kessler

Posted 10 October 2012 - 14:20

The file can`t be opened with 7 zip or winrar.. Why?

Spandau.. What else ?? :icon_mad:

#80 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 10 October 2012 - 14:28

Do you mean "PWCG_GUI_Mod_1028_v1.zip" attached in the first post?
It is just ordinary .zip file, you should be able to open it with Explorer.
Just downloaded it and it was ok.
Maybe it was corrupted during download for you? The file size should be 940,870 bytes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users