Photo
- - - - -

A request for the Fokker DVII with DIIIaü engine...

• Please log in to reply
494 replies to this topic

#1 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:43

We've been over this before, but I think it's too important to ignore / forget about it.

In Rise of Flight we currently have two versions of the Fokker DVII, one with a DIIIa engine and one with the BMW engine. Both versions seem to be modeled well; at least I haven't read a lot of complaints about FM.
The Fokker DVII was in operation from May to November 1918 which covers a large period in our current 1917-1918 period focus of Rise of Flight. Over 3000 were built; in the latter half of 1918 almost all fighter squadrons were equipped with the Fokker DVII.

But here is the weirdest thing:

The vast majority of these planes were equipped with a DIIIaü engine; a version that we do not have in the game!

This variant will have slightly better climb and speed compared to the DIIIa version, but it will make all the difference in game play, specifically online (compared to Se5a, Camel etc). Since the engine was already modeled for the halberstadt, hopefully it could speed up things?

Interesting info about the DIIIäu engine: http://www.theaerodr...i-question.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theaerodr...com/forum/aircr … stion.html

Although the experts don't agree, it's clear that DIIIa powered Fokker DVIIs were very scarce. Some claim they must have used "upgraded" DIIIa engines (convex pistons, higher CR, different camshaft, new valve gear, carburettor ) in which case the DIIIa variant never really existed.

#2 150GCT_Veltro

150GCT_Veltro

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:05

BUMP!
BUMP!
BUMP!

Preorder now Fokker DVII.au and Albatros D.III Johannisthal!

#3 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:23

We've been over this before, but I think it's too important to ignore / forget about it.

In Rise of Flight we currently have two versions of the Fokker DVII, one with a DIIIa engine and one with the BMW engine. Both versions seem to be modeled well; at least I haven't read a lot of complaints about FM.
The Fokker DVII was in operation from May to November 1918 which covers a large period in our current 1917-1918 period focus of Rise of Flight. Over 3000 were built; in the latter half of 1918 almost all fighter squadrons were equipped with the Fokker DVII.

The vast majority of these planes were equipped with a DIIIaü engine; a version that we do not have in the game!

This variant will have slightly better climb and speed compared to the DIIIa version, but it will make all the difference in game play, specifically online (compared to Se5a, Camel etc). Since the engine was already modeled for the halberstadt, hopefully it could speed up things?

YES

+1

But is the same for D.III Johannisthal. The waiting for these two German scouts is going too long.

PLEASE!
PLEASE!
PLEASE!

YES

#4 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:25

YESPLSMUSTHAVE!

#5 J5_Vorlander

J5_Vorlander

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:28

Ag' Pretty Please 777

#6 FlyingShark

FlyingShark

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:38

I totally agree, we have 2 well modelled DVII's but the most commonly used is lacking.

I also would like to see a SPAD XIII with 235hp engine one day.

:S!:

You can vote my post up by clicking the green arrow on the right.

#7 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:31

One would hope that basic variables associated with an engine: weight, horse power, etc. could easily be transferred, especially if the engine is already modeled and/or the engine variant is simply the same engine with reamed cylinders and larger pistons to increase combustion chamber.

Seems to me that many engine variants, such as these important ones listed here, could be made. The original SE5 with 150 H.P. Hispano Suissa (already in SPAD 7) comes to mind as well, and while not present in as large a numbers, I doubt anyone can argue it wasn't important from Spring 1917 to the end of the year.

However, distant memory of buried posts recalls that we've been told it isn't that easy. What is the reality of the 'black box' involved in generating a flight model? Maybe the hypothetical projected sales for these variants just aren't there???

#8 Lord_Flash

Lord_Flash

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:34

I'm just taking a guess here, but whilst the engine stats are already modelled on other planes, shifting these stats to an existing aeroplane, (assuming there's no changes required to the actual model and textures), would probably ruin the flight model tuned for that engine and its weight (if it were lighter, heavier, more or less torque, etc.), wouldn't it?

It'd probably take a lot more than just flipping some stats about, although like I say, I'm only guessing.

#9 Faz

Faz

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:34

Yes, would very much welcome this. The current D7 (non F version) we have in the game really leaves me wondering how its real life counterpart came by its fearsome reputation. It feels sluggish and underpowered to me.

Let’s hope it can be done soon.

#10 Catfish

Catfish

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:38

Yes i would very much like that - it would be the 'normal', most-used D.VII and represent the 'real thing'.

Yes, please :)

#11 realCallahan

realCallahan

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:38

Yes, good idea!

#12 von_Semmel

von_Semmel
  • LocationGermany / Munich

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:57

Yes please but other things should be done first :S!:

#13 redcoat22

redcoat22

Posted 02 October 2012 - 13:11

I think their point is this could be done much easier than creating an entirely new aeroplane.

The DVIIau is a very important if not the MOST important plane to have in 1918; and no matter how much work is involved to do it, it would be easier than making an enirely new plane from scratch.

The challenge is how to sell us a plane that many vocal players will claim is a rip-off (they deserve it for free because {inserts lame entitlement}).

I suggest they do the alloted work to create this plane then charge us the amount it costs in labor etc. plus 20% / expected sales. It might cost $4 to do this or it might cost $7; whatever it is, I would buy it.

If this was successful, the same idea could be applied to the other missing variants like the Alb DII and Alb Dv. The game would be better off.

#14 von_Semmel

von_Semmel

Posted 02 October 2012 - 13:14

I think their point is this could be done much easier than creating an entirely new aeroplane.

The DVIIau is a very important if not the MOST important plane to have in 1918; and no matter how much work is involved to do it, it would be easier than making an enirely new plane from scratch.

The challenge is how to sell us a plane that many vocal players will claim is a rip-off (they deserve it for free because {inserts lame entitlement}).

I suggest they do the alloted work to create this plane then charge us the amount it costs in labor etc. plus 20% / expected sales. It might cost $4 to do this or it might cost $7; whatever it is, I would buy it.

If this was successful, the same idea could be applied to the other missing variants like the Alb DII and Alb Dv. The game would be better off.

Yourre right. Havnt thought about that so accurate.

#15 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 02 October 2012 - 13:30

I thought we would quickly have it after the Cl.II got the D.IIIau engine. Isn't getting the aircraft right a priority? How long would it take Petrovich to change the D.VII's power output to match the upgraded engine? The poor D.VII has been a worthless pig for 3 years now; the D.IIIau engine is long overdue.

I will buy stuff at the store that I don't really need just to reward the change.

#16 rolikiraly

rolikiraly

Posted 02 October 2012 - 13:59

Yes, a Fokker D.VII aü and Albatros D.Va with right speed would be really nice. Just to have the 2 most important german fighter of the war ;)
But it seems developers want to work only on 2-(or more)-seaters these times anyway…..sad enough
:S!:

#17 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud
  • LocationWaleska, Georgia, USA

Posted 02 October 2012 - 14:05

I agree with this …

G5fCmYF.png

NEW WINGS VIRTUAL FLIGHT TRAINING

"Hardcore Through Passion"

#18 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 02 October 2012 - 14:26

Yes, the DVII with Mercedes D.IIIau, the Hispano Suiza 8Be 220 hp SPAD XIII, and the Hispano Suiza 8BEc 235 hp SPAD XIIIs should be, by definition, included in a late war plane set, using your logic. :S!: MJ

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#19 NickM

NickM

Posted 02 October 2012 - 14:28

+ 1

Long overdue!

#20 SYN_Mike77

SYN_Mike77

Posted 02 October 2012 - 15:10

Hear, hear!!

#21 Martin001

Martin001

Posted 02 October 2012 - 15:17

and Pfalz D.XII with Mercedes D.IIIaü?? ;)

http://riseofflight....anes/Pfalz_DXII" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://riseofflight....anes/Pfalz_DXII

engine BMW IIIa ;)

#22 Voidhunger

Voidhunger

Posted 02 October 2012 - 15:38

yes please !!!! Fokker and Pfalz!!!

#23 realCallahan

realCallahan

Posted 02 October 2012 - 16:16

Engine mod 8-)

#24 von_Semmel

von_Semmel

Posted 02 October 2012 - 16:34

Engine mod 8-)

No, Finally we would have 20 different mod categories, Field mods, Weapon mods, Engine mods…e.t.c….

The whole plane or nothing

#25 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 02 October 2012 - 16:44

I agree with Semmel. Make it a separate aircraft and put it up for sale in the store. Come on 777, easy money, and you'll make us happy.

#26 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 02 October 2012 - 16:52

They already made the decision to set up separate aircraft for different engines. Changing that design would require significant changes to the user interface.

The toughest part of my job is dealing with incompetent clowns who think they're good at their job.

Free Plank!

#27 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 02 October 2012 - 17:16

YESPLSMUSTHAVE!

I need my own in big red letters:

Mercedes D.IIIau engine in the Fokker D.VII! I will buy it! Pretty please with sugar on top?!

#28 GrassGuy

GrassGuy

Posted 02 October 2012 - 17:23

I will buy it and 5 more to gift

#29 SYN_Mike77

SYN_Mike77

Posted 02 October 2012 - 17:48

Hey Gav, don't you mean pretty please with money on top? And yeah, I'd buy that.

#30 NickM

NickM

Posted 02 October 2012 - 17:55

WOW! This is really just like shouting!

DIIIaü engine please.

#31 CaK_Novotny

CaK_Novotny

Posted 02 October 2012 - 18:50

+1!!! :S!:

#32 Dardrago1

Dardrago1

Posted 02 October 2012 - 19:08

Because more variants of the same aircraft?

…..if they are needed are other aircraft and improve current FM and AI (including beta career still much to improve)

#33 Mogster

Mogster

Posted 02 October 2012 - 19:36

The DVII and DXII both need this engine. I too would pay for them, in fact shove it in the Albatros and revise the FM and I'd pay for that as well.

I would prefer it if new buyers could purchase the different engine mods as a single aircraft pack though.

#34 Damocles

Damocles

Posted 02 October 2012 - 20:32

Just from curiosity, what would the new engined variant do that the "F" doesn't , where would it fit in performance wise ?

#35 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 02 October 2012 - 20:36

Just from curiosity, what would the new engined variant do that the "F" doesn't , where would it fit in performance wise ?

Merc DIIIau's performance is less than the BMW DIII (D7F). The D7 mostly had the DIIIau. The D7 we have in game has the DIIIa which was produced in small numbers. Somewhere around 300 or something like that….maybe less?

#36 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 02 October 2012 - 21:21

It would fill a big gap. Specifically in Multiplayer, it's very hard to make an interesting mid/late 1918 scenario that is sort of historical. You could give all Central players Fokker DVIIFs but that would be wrong as there weren't that many produced (+ Allies players would never stop whining!). When there are Fokker DVII DIIIa in a mission, most players will ignore it unless there is nothing else available because it performs so bad.

#37 Fabioccio

Fabioccio

Posted 02 October 2012 - 22:36

+1 as new aircraft :x

#38 1PL-Sander-1Esk

1PL-Sander-1Esk

Posted 02 October 2012 - 23:23

+1.

And in general pls speed up Central inliners and make them more "flying" and less "rail-riding". ;)

#39 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:07

+1.

And in general pls speed up Central inliners and make them more "flying" and less "rail-riding". ;)

+2 I think that means a reexamination of the German airfoil properties. Only the D.VII and D.VIII should stall like velvet.

#40 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:42

Let's keep this topic for the D.VII D.IIIaü please, before the devs can't see the forest through the trees with all the requests.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users