- - - - -

The Sport Landing Thread

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 20 September 2012 - 18:59

Update:
formerly known as Seaplane Base Sport Parking (SBSP), which is no longer possible due to new surface-interaction-physics implemented with the 1.029 update, this thread is now generally dedicated to landings within confined/restricted spaces. Ideas, photos and vids as evidence to your claim to fame go here ;=)

—————————————————

you can not deny it, it is the new trend-sport

so I thought we need to make a competion thread, about landing on the wooden planks of the seaplane base. So far, FredGreen is leading in weight and style…

post your attempts here! Don´t hesitate to call the mechanics. Who can put the heaviest crate in that hangar, who will be the most stylish?

for starters:

#2 sallee

sallee

Posted 20 September 2012 - 20:21

Unfortunately cut off the end..but I even left room for someone else behind me.

#3 Pip2

Pip2

Posted 20 September 2012 - 21:21

Lol! Will be even more interesting in the Felixstowe :)

#4 sallee

sallee

Posted 20 September 2012 - 21:41

Damn. I knew I shouldn't have eaten that extra scone.

#5 SupaGringo

SupaGringo

Posted 20 September 2012 - 22:26

hahaha, beautiful new sport

#6 SirFreddie

SirFreddie

Posted 20 September 2012 - 22:46

Being a self appointed Knight…

I name you all 'Cupid Stunts' :S!:

Or you could wait till Kate's queen and hope for your own Knighthood :lol:

#7 SirFreddie

SirFreddie

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:38

Oooops! Not sure I've got the hang of this thread :lol:

#8 AndyJWest

AndyJWest

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:34

I prefer to come at it from the side… ;)

Nailed it first time, too. :D

#9 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:27

impressive entries here, guys.
Sallee gets full points for breguet perfection while sir freddy gets the "innovative approach" award. Andy, now you start giving me ideas, maybe we can even more "grind" the W12 skateboard-style over the woods.. gotta try that.

sidenote:
has anyone yet managed a good touchdown on trains or trucks? I think it might be possible, but sofar I only have produced woodsplinters…

#10 Edward_Gale

Edward_Gale

Posted 21 September 2012 - 16:12

#11 Edward_Gale

Edward_Gale

Posted 21 September 2012 - 16:12

#12 Fredgreen

Fredgreen

Posted 21 September 2012 - 16:31

This is fun…….here are my new entries

The whole movie:

or choose plane of movie
1-SPAD 7.C1 150HP
2-Nieuport 11.C1 (bug version: crashmodel version )
3-Albatros D.II
4-Fokker E.III
5-Bristol F2.B F.III
6-S.E.5a
7-Breguet 14.B2
8-Gotha G.V

Wow some landed the planes without a scratch….. :S!: and had the same idea of using bombs :lol:

greetings fredgreen

#13 Edward_Gale

Edward_Gale

Posted 21 September 2012 - 18:21

Haha, your N11 landing reminds me of this picture :D

#14 piecost

piecost

Posted 21 September 2012 - 18:46

Love the movie, especially the brutal way of stopping the Gotha's engines!

#15 =III=Flav

=III=Flav

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:02

RoF community gets given a water plane.
Uses it to park on a wooden pier.
LOGIC.

#16 Edward_Gale

Edward_Gale

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:16

LOGIC.

:mrgreen:

#17 arthursmedley

arthursmedley

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:35

Edward Gale FTW! Andy gets an 8.5 for artistic interpretation and Fred Green is leading in the "optimism beyond the call of duty" category with the attempt in the Gotha. Nice touch dropping a bomb on the Pier too Fred :S!:

#18 SupaGringo

SupaGringo

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:50

whats up with the gothas seemingly always loosing the wheels on one side ?

LOGIC.

after all those years with dry feet, why wouldn´t you start carefullin the shallow part of the pool?

#19 Blade_meister

Blade_meister

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:35

Kids :roll:

:lol: :x :lol: A tough old bird, the right engine of the Gotha did not want to give up the Ghost! :lol:

S! Blade<><

#20 SupaGringo

SupaGringo

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:51

wow, fred green really is setting the standard here..

#21 MarcoRossolini

MarcoRossolini
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 23 September 2012 - 14:12

Alright alright, you've proved your point, now here's a challenge, land it, THEN take off again from the pier. Enjoy.

#22 Edward_Gale

Edward_Gale

Posted 23 September 2012 - 14:16

Alright alright, you've proved your point, now here's a challenge, land it, THEN take off again from the pier. Enjoy.

Already tried it with an Albie, it's impossible because you will always fall into the water :cry:

#23 AndyJWest

AndyJWest

Posted 23 September 2012 - 14:26

Yup - it can't be done because the pier isn't really 'solid'. Like the bridges and buildings in RoF, anything landing on it drops through it eventually. Weird physics, and I'm not sure why it is done that way, though it may simplify collision modelling somehow.

#24 VonPunish

VonPunish

Posted 26 September 2012 - 15:17

Those were some great entertaining shots there guys. :)

#25 SirFreddie

SirFreddie

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:52

True you can't land on the pier and then take off from it … but you CAN land on the pier and take off again next to the pier…errrm! if you've put enough fuel in your plane :lol:

Apologies for nearly proving my point and for the low light (meant to set the time so I could fly off into the sunset. Moonlight would've been fine but I ran out of juice… JUST :x )

Really couldn't be bothered to try again as anyone who watched this all the way through will appreciate sorry!

Credit to Heyluno13 for Bandycam :S!:

P.s. The last image reminded me of something. I have a house in Loughborough on the Leicestershire/Nottinghamshire border. And next week I have been invited to play a game of golf (sorry yanks!…Wey O wey O wey owey…Oo Wey Oo Oh wey Oo O wey!!!) at a course in the nearby village of Gotham (not so nearby as I'm living in London ATM!)

This village is the origin of the name 'Gotham city' of New York and Batman fame (though the locals pronounce it 'Goat-ham' or 'Go-tum') allegedly because they tried to avoid King Johns taxes by appearing to be a vllage of lunatics and idiots!!! (A different tactic to Robin Hood)

They apparently achieved this by many means…Grazing cattle on their roofs, drowning eels in water and building hedges around Cuckoos so they couldn't get away (their failiure at the last was put down to them not building the hedge high enough!

Anyway they also tried to fish the moon from a pond which reminded me of the last image of my vid :lol:

P.P.S. I've had time to patent the 'RoF Seaplane duckwalk' so beware :ugeek:

P.P.P.S. I Know it's "Ole'" but on the Nottingham (strangely renamed after Snottingham…'King Snots peoples home' ) Leicestershire, Derbyshire border you may understand why it's not Hispanic perfect!!! :lol:

Only kidding :lol:

#26 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 28 September 2012 - 17:37

so sir Freddi definatly wins in the category "patience" and "time available alone in the dark" ;=)

I had a funny occurence the other day:

while trying to park the D8 in a quickmission, the ai w12 followed me in and bested me at parking.. So even the AI is competing here, unfortunatly I wasn´t recording

Attached Files

• Attached File  ai.jpg   38.25KB   332 downloads

#27 SirFreddie

SirFreddie

Posted 29 September 2012 - 00:50

so sir Freddi definatly wins in the category "patience" and "time available alone in the dark" ;=)

I had a funny occurence the other day:

while trying to park the D8 in a quickmission, the ai w12 followed me in and bested me at parking.. So even the AI is competing here, unfortunatly I wasn´t recording

Love to see the film of AI trying to land on a pier and park in a hanger :lol:

Unfortunately you weren't recording :(

I'll rerecord landing a W12 in a hangar from a pier, without significant damage and (with enough fuel) relaunching it (This time in sunlight :D )!!!…if you can rerecord an AI W12 beating you to a crashlanding in a seaplane hangar :lol: :lol: :lol:

#28 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 29 September 2012 - 21:39

I could not reproduce that ai-parking event, I guess It was a one-of-kind-chance thing, the ai W12 was damaged and chasing my D8, you see the mixture bar in the mini instruments, so I failed to park, but the ai did not..

Well, I got something else to offer: all the training paid off, as I made my first parking coming from real combat with a broken engine and holes in the floats..

#29 SirFreddie

SirFreddie

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:04

I could not reproduce that ai-parking event, I guess It was a one-of-kind-chance thing, the ai W12 was damaged and chasing my D8, you see the mixture bar in the mini instruments, so I failed to park, but the ai did not..

Well, I got something else to offer: all the training paid off, as I made my first parking coming from real combat with a broken engine and holes in the floats..

Saw the mini bar….think that was what you said!!! Hate you guys who can put music to your flying…Great music.Good film ….Now 20 minutes of 'Fuel' and effort (Royalties to SirFreddie Corp.) would have seen you in the air again…

:S!:

#30 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 01 October 2012 - 19:42

putting music in the vids is no big secret… There is a lot of old stuff that is fortunatly free to use without rights-hassle…

there are several sites like this:

http://freemusicarchive.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://freemusicarchive.org/

hint: the category "old time/historic" on those sites

#31 Fredgreen

Fredgreen

Posted 01 October 2012 - 21:09

Nice parking those planes SirFreddie and Dr.Zebra(combat parking)

I have to do something different…..to park my plane….maybe this

oh and I put some combat with it….. :x

greetings fredgreen :)

#32 MPcdn

MPcdn

Posted 01 October 2012 - 21:22

I lov e the first one where it flips and you back her in.

Where in the game is this dock, I want to play?

#33 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 02 October 2012 - 23:37

great backflip!

and the base you ´ll find in quickmissions, any anchor symbol

#34 Capn_Binky

Capn_Binky

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:58

Someone needs to give the pup a go.

#35 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:18

Someone needs to give the pup a go.

allready done ;=)

#36 realCallahan

realCallahan

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:49

WOW! GOTTA TRY IT TOO! :)

#37 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 01 January 2013 - 20:51

Dear Sport-Parking-Enthusiasts,

since it is 2013 and .029 in effect, the old sport is dead. Long live the new sport!

What new challenges and astonishing landing grounds can we discover with the new year and the new phyiscs? Hereby I´d like motivate all the club members to enter new and exciting ideas for the benefit of the sporting community.

sincerly,
your Zebra (out of hunting season)

Attached Files

#38 AndyJWest

AndyJWest

Posted 03 January 2013 - 18:46

Sadly, the piers and breakwaters seem to be too rough for landplanes, from what I can tell. The sandbank southwest of Clacton-on-Sea isn't much of a challenge (though an online mass rally there might be fun), and neither are the beaches below the Dover cliffs (presumably modelled at low tide). I'm sure that if we look around, there are some tight spots for both seaplanes and landplanes to squeeze into though. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

#39 thenorm

thenorm

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:36

I have an idea. Land atop the cliffs of dover, and see how slowly one can roll off the edge and still pull up before hitting the bottom. ;)

#40 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:14

I have an idea. Land atop the cliffs of dover, and see how slowly one can roll off the edge and still pull up before hitting the bottom. ;)

since the cliffs are also added 3d objects they appear to be of the same physics as buildings, piers etc. I was simply not able to land or taxi on them, near dover I simply stuck in the air.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users