Photo
- - - - -

Roland CIIa

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#81 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 20 September 2012 - 14:38

Hmm, looks like nosing over in this bird is certain death for the pilot and the gunner. :xx: And we thought the Dolphin was a pain!

#82 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 20 September 2012 - 14:48

I wonder what those little fishes on the wing are for? An aerodynamic covering of the speedometer or other instruments? Slip-indicators (like the bits of stuff used on gliderplanes) or just pilot-confidence builders ("look i have buddy swimmin along.." )

And curtains for the field mods too. :)

totally agreed… I even think I saw some in the pic of the paintschemes J5_Vorländer posted..

#83 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 20 September 2012 - 14:49

Hmm, looks like nosing over in this bird is certain death for the pilot and the gunner. :xx: And we thought the Dolphin was a pain!

the pilot might have a rollcage and the gunner could sit downstairs during landing ;=)

#84 Mogster

Mogster

Posted 20 September 2012 - 20:10

Maybe we could have the rollcage as a field mod :)

#85 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 21 September 2012 - 00:58

Maybe we could have the roll-cage as a field mod :)

No, looks like a roll cage was standard. That's the curved bar we see on all of these drawings on previous pages. It is also in the silhouette on the store page.

However, to me, it looks that it could be easily crushed by the correct amount of force.

#86 Eiswolf

Eiswolf

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:45

i would pre order but I can't play the game since 1.028 was release and ROF doesn't seem to give a damn whether i can get it back up

#87 Blade_meister

Blade_meister

Posted 21 September 2012 - 17:55

i would pre order but I can't play the game since 1.028 was release and ROF doesn't seem to give a damn whether i can get it back up

new patch and now no game
win 7 32 bit navida 460 card
game starts and then crashes

the map appears to select an airfield but also game sound and then I am crashed to desktop, appears that my money had gone to waste as my system can no longer handle this game

same problem with new patch as well
cannot launch the gamei read somewhere about using special high or medium in the settings for 32 bit ?

suppards don't you realize you are suppose to wade through thousands of posts to find the answer

After seeing all of your negative posts, I wouldn't go out of my way to help personally because I actually think you are speaking out your Arse using the lower left and right hemisphere of your brain, but here is the first thing you should do, e-mail 777, rof@777studios.net , with your complete system specs and a detailed educated description of the problem with ROF, unlike the above debacle. I will throw this one out to you free, as it seems to clear up a majority of update problems. Run "Recovery" on the first update menu when starting the game, this is important, RUN THE DIRECTx UPDATE AT THE END OF THE RECOVERY NO MATTER WHAT, DO NOT CANCEL IT!. Maybe this will fix you up, and maybe it won't, but I will share this much with you, the more MATURE and RESPECTFUL you are around here, the more people will try to help you out. I have had my frustrations with this game, and I have even been an arse on these forums myself, but the calmer you remain, the more info you provide and the more Respectfully you articulate the problem and your frustration, the more help you will receive. Welcome to the world of ROF, one of the best Forum and technically supported Sims ever. That doesn't mean ROF is perfect, but most technical issues are resolved very quickly. Hope you get back in the air soon.

S! Blade<><

#88 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 21 September 2012 - 21:50

Have to admit, when I saw Win 7 32 bit, I had to wonder… :?

#89 Eiswolf

Eiswolf

Posted 23 September 2012 - 18:37

Blade_meister your absolutely correct the game is out of my arse and completley full of SHIT!
I have tried several remedes but since neither of my brain hemishperes are working like yours complete with a computer software degree I have failed to make the game work since 1.028 has been released,
I am asking for a full rebate of all my funds

#90 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester
  • LocationRedlands, California

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:54

Have you e-mailed rof@777studios.net?

#91 Eiswolf

Eiswolf

Posted 24 September 2012 - 18:58

yes I have emailed them hopefully a reply will come

#92 CraigNT54

CraigNT54

Posted 25 September 2012 - 23:51

I was always intrigued with the windows on this aircraft… and in humor several have mentioned that curtains would be a great add-on. Well it turns out that curtains, flower pots and bird cages are a historical fact for extras on the Rolland C.IIa!!
:D
Cheers!
- CraigNT54

Pilot enjoying the view!Attached File  scannen0006gq7.jpg   79.04KB   698 downloads

Gunner with all the comforts of home!
Attached File  scannen0007ft1.jpg   68.82KB   698 downloads

#93 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 26 September 2012 - 23:47

CII should be hard to land…so many pictures of failed landings!
Even the one with the fish scales is in bad shape :)

Attached File  CII.jpg   251.04KB   642 downloads

The 2 black arcs on top wing seems to be a visual marking for gunner to not shoot the pilot! lol

#94 sebbrof

sebbrof

Posted 27 September 2012 - 00:51

NOW you're laughing but wait till I decide to be your reargunner ;)

#95 Fritz_Kempf

Fritz_Kempf
  • LocationSouth Korea

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:23

Roland CII was the first model airplane I built as a kid. So glad to see it again, and this time I can fly it! Red Baron II/3D I could only shoot at them.

ribbonrack.gif

"kennscht mi noch?"

#96 JFM

JFM
  • LocationNaples, FL, USA

Posted 27 September 2012 - 14:27

Hello,

Time to light a historical backfire and illuminate/correct an error that I helped propagate.

It is known that when flying with Kasta 8 in spring, 1916, Manfred von Richthofen flew an LFG Roland C.II. Researcher Ed Ferko believed MvR flew a Walfisch with two large black circles on the fuselage, based on a photo that shows two men sitting atop this airplane, one of whom resembled MvR. You can see this in Ferko’s book, Richthofen. However, this “identification” was made via a photograph and hand-held magnification, years prior to 1995—i.e., long before high-resolution digital scans that are so common with PCs today. Via one such scan Greg VanWyngarden sent me last year, a portion of which I’ve cropped (and reduced to 1/3 scale) below, we can see that neither man atop that Walfisch was Richthofen:

Conclusion: If the connection of MvR to this Walfisch is that it appears to be him in a photograph—and I’ve neither seen nor found any other connection besides that—and since a high-resolution of that photograph demonstrates without question that it was not him, then it must be said that this particular machine was NOT MvR’s:

This old profile appeared in my book Manfred von Richthofen: The Aircraft, Myths and Accomplishments of ИThe Red Baron’. (I also made an “MvR” Walfisch skin in First Eagles.) In the book I suggested this plane could be MvR’s, based on Ferko’s assertion. But since writing that book the higher resolution photo has become available, and today I state that although MvR did fly a Walfisch and likely did affix a forward-firing machine gun to one and used it to shoot down a Nieuport (Kasta 8 also flew LVG C.IIs at the time but an LVG C.II was not going to catch a Nieuport in the manner described by MvR), it wasn’t the plane with the black circles. (The profile shows a Lewis affixed to the rollover cage. Captured weapons were commonly used but MvR's use of a Lewis is speculative. It is unknown what type of machine gun he used.)

Okay, yes, it is still possible that plane could have been MvR’s. But, it is also possible that any of those machines could have been his, so why single out that one now that it is known neither man atop it was MvR? After all, this "identification" has been the sole provenance for the association, and now it is gone. BTW, intriguingly, in the same Kasta 8 photo there is a man atop another Walfisch who does resemble Richthofen—but not enough to proclaim absolutely that it was him.

I know this has nothing to do with the LFG Roland C.IIa, the Walfisch model RoF is releasing, so why bother with any of this? I’m just trying to prevent promoting historical error. RoF may be on the ball and already know all about this, and although they’ve mixed skins and plane models before, it’s assumption on my end that they would here, again, too. At the very least, I’m attempting to straighten the record I helped skew.

#97 SvenK.

SvenK.

Posted 27 September 2012 - 14:35

Just pre-ordered! I Hope the plane will as detailed as the RE8, which I adore :D

The early type machine gun looks so much more impressive, that little stinger we have now looks pretty weak and dull in comparison.

Thanks Jim for clearing that up a little, the lads on top the plane don't look like one of them is MvR to me as well. Too bad we don't have a walfisch to connect MvR to now :(

BTW, what's that bar beneath the gunner's window? Doesn't show up on every Roland…

#98 FroggyCanuck

FroggyCanuck

Posted 27 September 2012 - 16:27

I was always intrigued with the windows on this aircraft… and in humor several have mentioned that curtains would be a great add-on. Well it turns out that curtains, flower pots and bird cages are a historical fact for extras on the Rolland C.IIa!!
:D
Cheers!
- CraigNT54

Pilot enjoying the view!

Gunner with all the comforts of home!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

So will the flower pot be considered a field mod or a personal package? :)

bourgeois_hockey_in_the_duff.jpg

Hockey in the duff by Ardell Bourgeois

#99 Gadfly21

Gadfly21

Posted 27 September 2012 - 17:40

BTW, what's that bar beneath the gunner's window? Doesn't show up on every Roland…

Storage for flares.

#100 vonBuck

vonBuck

Posted 27 September 2012 - 17:48

Hello,

Time to light a historical backfire and illuminate/correct an error that I helped propagate.

It is known that when flying with Kasta 8 in spring, 1916, Manfred von Richthofen flew an LFG Roland C.II. Researcher Ed Ferko believed MvR flew a Walfisch with two large black circles on the fuselage, based on a photo that shows two men sitting atop this airplane, one of whom resembled MvR. You can see this in Ferko’s book, Richthofen. However, this “identification” was made via a photograph and hand-held magnification, years prior to 1995—i.e., long before high-resolution digital scans that are so common with PCs today. Via one such scan Greg VanWyngarden sent me last year, a portion of which I’ve cropped (and reduced to 1/3 scale) below, we can see that neither man atop that Walfisch was Richthofen:

Conclusion: If the connection of MvR to this Walfisch is that it appears to be him in a photograph—and I’ve neither seen nor found any other connection besides that—and since a high-resolution of that photograph demonstrates without question that it was not him, then it must be said that this particular machine was NOT MvR’s:

This old profile appeared in my book Manfred von Richthofen: The Aircraft, Myths and Accomplishments of ИThe Red Baron’. (I also made an “MvR” Walfisch skin in First Eagles.) In the book I suggested this plane could be MvR’s, based on Ferko’s assertion. But since writing that book the higher resolution photo has become available, and today I state that although MvR did fly a Walfisch and likely did affix a forward-firing machine gun to one and used it to shoot down a Nieuport (Kasta 8 also flew LVG C.IIs at the time but an LVG C.II was not going to catch a Nieuport in the manner described by MvR), it wasn’t the plane with the black circles. (The profile shows a Lewis affixed to the rollover cage. Captured weapons were commonly used but MvR's use of a Lewis is speculative. It is unknown what type of machine gun he used.)

Okay, yes, it is still possible that plane could have been MvR’s. But, it is also possible that any of those machines could have been his, so why single out that one now that it is known neither man atop it was MvR? After all, this "identification" has been the sole provenance for the association, and now it is gone. BTW, intriguingly, in the same Kasta 8 photo there is a man atop another Walfisch who does resemble Richthofen—but not enough to proclaim absolutely that it was him.

I know this has nothing to do with the LFG Roland C.IIa, the Walfisch model RoF is releasing, so why bother with any of this? I’m just trying to prevent promoting historical error. RoF may be on the ball and already know all about this, and although they’ve mixed skins and plane models before, it’s assumption on my end that they would here, again, too. At the very least, I’m attempting to straighten the record I helped skew.
Thanks for sharing.
Would it be possible to show us the complete picture, too?

Attached Files

#101 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 27 September 2012 - 17:56

Good info there JFM, Thanks! :S!:

#102 SupaGringo

SupaGringo

Posted 27 September 2012 - 18:09

what is also pretty interesting in the picture is the flare-holder under the window for observer, seems like they were fired from there without opening the window.. another possible fieldmod?

#103 John_Fenton

John_Fenton

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:04

You know, on a cold winter flight I'd be tempted to fire the flares and everything else from behind the windows!

777- excellent choice in new aircraft, this will be a very welcome addition.

#104 BaiCaiX

BaiCaiX

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:35

Very nice plane. Pre-ordered, can't wait to flight it.

#105 hypercop

hypercop

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:36

When will the CIIa be released? Before or after the Felixstowe and the channel map?

#106 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:40

My guess would be before the Felix and Channel, cause it's planed for end of year…

#107 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:27

At which time precisely Richthofen flew the Roland C. II?

#108 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:17

CII should be hard to land…so many pictures of failed landings!
Even the one with the fish scales is in bad shape :)

The 2 black arcs on top wing seems to be a visual marking for gunner to not shoot the pilot! lol

It's to mark the diameter of the propellor, not to prevent him shooting the pilot (who he could see)

#109 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:29

Absolutely good deduction!

#110 Mogster

Mogster

Posted 29 September 2012 - 15:33

The trophy Lewis guns would make interesting field/weapon mods. Either for use by the observer or mounted on the cage for the pilot.

#111 Avimimus

Avimimus

Posted 29 September 2012 - 17:15

The trophy Lewis guns would make interesting field/weapon mods. Either for use by the observer or mounted on the cage for the pilot.

Yup.

#112 Frankyboy

Frankyboy

Posted 29 September 2012 - 19:10

i would like to have the weapon mod " no front gun", the reargunners field of fire is so good that when flown with a human gunner on COMs online, i wouldprefer the little better performance by saving the weight - or would give the gunner a twingun mount ( if this option will be available ) instead!

#113 SupaGringo

SupaGringo

Posted 29 September 2012 - 19:23

Yup.

may I jump on your bandwaggon here?

….. and I´ll drag the ole Fe2 waggon all along too

#114 Fafnir6

Fafnir6

Posted 29 September 2012 - 19:51

i would like to have the weapon mod " no front gun", the reargunners field of fire is so good that when flown with a human gunner on COMs online, i wouldprefer the little better performance by saving the weight - or would give the gunner a twingun mount ( if this option will be available ) instead!

+1

It seems the roll cage on earlier, no front gun C.IIs was the rounded style. Perhaps this could be tied to a no-front-gun weapon mod to simulate early production machines…

Cheers,

Fafnir_6

#115 Dressedwings

Dressedwings
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 30 September 2012 - 00:12

Yup.

may I jump on your bandwaggon here?

….. and I´ll drag the ole Fe2 waggon all along too

FE2, FE2, FE2!

TOeIhAe.png

^CHECK THE LINK^

#116 jeanba4

jeanba4

Posted 01 October 2012 - 18:51

FE2, FE2, FE2!

Stutter ! Stutter ! STUTTER !

#117 thenorm