Photo
- - - - -

Project - Trenches

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#41 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 07 October 2012 - 18:56

Wow, it is wonderful to see annimated horses in ROF. This is outstanding. :S!: MJ

Not that I would ever shoot the horses, but a part of me will always wonder, if I did shoot them, would they go on fire, then explode? :lol:

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#42 ParachuteProne

ParachuteProne

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:12

Simply Awesome !

#43 BH_von_Guber

BH_von_Guber
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:45

:S!: Those horses look great Vander…can we get some cows?

#44 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 07 October 2012 - 20:09

Good job, Vander!

I have no qualms about shooting horses. The WWI pilots did it, and were shooting humans as well. There should be more war brutality in ROF so this is no time to shy away from it :D.

(In fact, were not strafing, shelling or bombing nearly enough villages!)

#45 Proccy

Proccy

Posted 07 October 2012 - 22:00

Hi Vander, great job mate how about some horse drawn guns next :S!:

Lieut. (A./Capt.) Andrew Weatherby Beauchamp-Proctor, D.S.O., M.C., D.F.C., No. 84 Sqn., R.A. Force.

#46 VonSensburg

VonSensburg

Posted 07 October 2012 - 22:28

Those small things will make rof much much more immersive! Thanks for great work!

#47 catchov

catchov

Posted 07 October 2012 - 23:34

:shock:

Simply brilliant! Is there nothing this man cannot do! Forget Clapton, Vander is God! :S!:

#48 TheBlackPenguin

TheBlackPenguin

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:19

Unbelievable! :shock:

#49 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:48

Wow,
thats a great step forward Vander!!

#50 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:04

Wow!

#51 Voss

Voss

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:25

I am speechless !

And now next step : Cows eating grass !

Nice job
I hope that on day we can integrate this in career via mods on
that could be great

#52 SQSN

SQSN

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:51

Nope, still don't know how to handle LODs.

What exactly is your problem with LODs? May be I can help.

In the mean time, I have been working on animations in RoF and it does look very promising, here is a quick video: :D

Nice job, but I hope, the animation isn't final. :) The legs movement is generally out of sync with linear movement speed (which isn't big problem, after all, for the flight sim) and the legs movement is a bit basic to say the least. Forward legs movement of the horse look more like a human steps, then the horse one's.

#53 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:57

Nope, still don't know how to handle LODs.

What exactly is your problem with LODs? May be I can help.

For static objects, I don't know how to adjust LOD distance. The LODout distance seems to be fixed at 800 m or so? For smaller, detailed objects that is no good.

In the mean time, I have been working on animations in RoF and it does look very promising, here is a quick video: :D

Nice job, but I hope, the animation isn't final. :) The legs movement is generally out of sync with linear movement speed (which isn't big problem, after all, for the flight sim) and the legs movement is a bit basic to say the least. Forward legs movement of the horse look more like a human steps, then the horse one's.

Well no, depends. I haven't modeled the forward toes which makes it look weird if you pay close attention. There is a lot that can still be improved.
Both wheels and horses use the same animation cycle (forward speed), so I had to compromise. I don't know if you can change this?

Anyway, it's just a demonstration.

#54 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:19

OMG!! :shock: I missed your video Vander!
What a fantastic job!!
It looks perfect enough to me (as said above, it's a flight sim after all…) to be implemented!
Here we really are in 1914/18 :P

#55 SQSN

SQSN

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:45

For static objects, I don't know how to adjust LOD distance.

As a third party - you can't, as far, as I know. And I am not even sure, if it is possible at all to adjust switching distance individually for each object. However, if your model is up to 777 specs in terms of polygon count and texture sizes, you should be ok performance- and visual quality-wise

Both wheels and horses use the same animation cycle (forward speed), so I had to compromise. I don't know if you can change this?

Well, unless developers provide you with a separate animation argument for horse animation - you can't. :) And I doubt, they will do that. So, as I wrote, this is not a big deal.

#56 ROSS_DiFiS

ROSS_DiFiS

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:57

WoW!

#57 redcoat22

redcoat22

Posted 08 October 2012 - 14:19

Must have

#58 piecost

piecost

Posted 08 October 2012 - 15:50

Great work

#59 FlyingShark

FlyingShark

Posted 08 October 2012 - 23:47

Indeed, great work.

I hope the devs include the horse transport in RoF (although I will refuse to shoot the horses though ;) ).

:S!:

You can vote my post up by clicking the green arrow on the right.

#60 Ztenis

Ztenis

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:16

Nice :)

#61 Avimimus

Avimimus

Posted 10 October 2012 - 16:22

Well no, depends. I haven't modeled the forward toes which makes it look weird if you pay close attention. There is a lot that can still be improved.

It looks good enough to me from the air at least! Excellent by flight sim standards.

Now all that we need is horses panicking and a full damage model.

#62 TX-Gunslinger

TX-Gunslinger

Posted 10 October 2012 - 16:53

Wow! After a very long break from RoF - it is so uplifting to come back and see the very best community on the internet still doing incredible things.

Thanks Vander for making my day. I want those on my battlefield!

#63 zachanscom

zachanscom

Posted 10 October 2012 - 23:24

It looks good enough to me from the air at least! Excellent by flight sim standards.

a full damage model for a horse cart? you have got to be kidding me.

#64 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 10 October 2012 - 23:41

Yes, to see the fall over and die might be kinda cool and maybe have the soldiers driving them sort of slump over like they do in the aircraft when shot dead. Of course I wouldn't want to see the cart drivers giving hand signals like the thumbs up after they've been attacked :lol: :lol:

#65 Avimimus

Avimimus

Posted 11 October 2012 - 13:03

Well… similar to the trucks…

Engine damaged so as to prevent movement = horses dead
Vehicle explodes = damage to cart wheels and supplies

#66 BH_Vfw_Klaue

BH_Vfw_Klaue

Posted 25 October 2012 - 20:25

S! SYN_Vander hows the work on the field mods going?THX for all you do.

#67 Bf-110

Bf-110

Posted 25 October 2012 - 20:44

Great!I should have paid more attention to this topic!Seems the action is happening here lately.

Yes,I noticed that thing of the horses too,but except that,the animation looks great!Any chances of running horses?

I guess the horses will fill the gap between vehicles and functional infantry? :D *yesyesyesyesyes?*

#68 Oscar17

Oscar17

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:15

Horse-drawn Wagons = great stuff!
Horse-drawn Ambulances, covered and uncovered = absolutely….
Horse-drawn limbers and cassions = absolutely….
Horse-drawn French 75m's = absolutely….

1 Allied 75mm Battery = 4 officers, 140 men, 160 horses

….. Nothing says WWI like hundreds of horse-drawn carts and wagons moving to and from the front, plus trucks, cars, etc.
….. Nothing says "Army" on the move better!

Great start Vander….

#69 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:27

Progressing nicely.. a big thumbs up for all your hard work!

#70 Acasto

Acasto

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:00

:shock: convoy of horses? I want to see in FeOW! :lol:

#71 thenorm

thenorm

Posted 15 November 2012 - 15:39

Brilliant, only problem I see is the smoke/dust behind them. Could that be removed? Looks a bit much for something moving at that speed.

#72 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:42

Excellent work!

Have you tried laying very very long stretches of the 3D trenches down to see what the performance impact would be?

#73 Dragula

Dragula

Posted 23 April 2013 - 17:38

i like to see some troop fighting like in RB3D, miss shooting them and running them down or just watching them, the trenches right now look bad, can't wait to see yours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users