- - - - -

The great divide?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Happyhaddock

Happyhaddock
  • LocationCloud cuckoo land

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:51

I'm no 3D programmer, and I doubt that the developers or individuals modders would see this as a high priority at the moment but, for the sake of idly wonderring….

Given the frequency with with I'm getting shot down, or simply wrecking my own engine by over revving it I'm becoming quite used to making emergency landings in open countryside. I've come across occassional accounts in period flight manuals about judging the space for the best places to land and take off from to avoid hitting hedges, fences or boundary walls and it strikes me that at the moment you can land pretty much anywhere un-impeded.

I know it's only in recent times with highly mechanised farming that field boundaries have been stripped away to create ever bigger fields, and I'd imagine from a programming point of view a few small models and textures that could be repeatedly used all over the map should not impact heavily on memory (can't coment on processing power or frame rate hit?)

I'm sure they'd add visually to the look of the landscape and would certainly make you think twice about just touchng down wherever or whenever…

Anybody esle think this might be worthwhile?

#2 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:07

Yeah, it's one of the things on the list of 3d stuff to make, see here: List of possible static objects

However, first we would need a lot of good photographs of the country side in Picardy (Western part of RoF map) at the time. I have been there a couple of times and it does not look anything like Normandy or Britain where you have the "bocage" or stone walls. So I'm guessing fences and wire, but how did it look back then????

#3 MarcoRossolini

MarcoRossolini
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:57

From my memory of the Somme there wasn't actually that much in the way of fences or hedges along the fields, there was just a bit of ditch as a gutter and that's about it (doubtless the ditch would pose a significant danger to an aircraft but I would imagine that that's a bit beyond RoF at the moment.

#4 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 28 August 2012 - 19:31

So I'm guessing fences and wire, but how did it look back then????

Yes, fences and wire for cattle fields, and nothing for cultivated fields. Probably lot of bush/hedges.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users