Project - Roucourt

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 24 August 2012 - 17:37

Project Roucourt - Home of Jasta 11 & Jasta 12

The aim of Project Roucourt is to build an athmospheric Aerodrome according to historic sources. The Roucourt Aerodrome was lying beautiful between a Chateau, its forest and the little village Roucourt and was the home of Jasta 11 and Jasta 12. (So, the ideal place to give ROF a real unique Airfield to fly from ;))

A few weeks ago I was reading "Das Kriegstagebuch der Jagdstaffel 12" by Michael Schmeelke when I realised Jasta12 is not in the game yet as an available squadron. So I began to write up a Squadron history. Roucourt Airfield catched my eys and with the possibilty to get new Objects into the game, my dream is to get a beautiful and atmospheric Roucourt into the game :)

Alot of information about this Airfield I got from The Aerodrome Page. Also many pictures I repost here. I hope this is ok.

What has to be done?
Going from the big picture to the detail:

1. Roucourt & Airfield location
2. Airfield Layout
3. Roucourt unique Buildings
4. Jasta 12 Squadron History

#2 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 24 August 2012 - 17:38

Roucourt Airfield Location

I was researching Roucourt Airfield the last weeks whenever I had time to do so.
When I opened the ROF Mission Editor to try to correct its layout I wondered about the location which doesn't seem to fit. A bit more research with google-maps, original maps from 1918 and Rise of Flight ingame map showed, that our Airfield ingame has a wrong location, as the village Roucourt does. So in its current state its not useful to work on the airfield layout, when it is in the wrong place ;)

I made alittle Gif-animation to show my conclusion about the location. It is 4MB big, so please wait abit until it is loaded

We need a new village Roucourt on the Map.

We need the nearby Forest.

It would be great, if its possible to include new roads.

Placement of the Airfield

By photos its very clear the airfield was located right of the wood on top of the follwing pcture of chateau Roucourt.

Closeup of the Map

#3 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 24 August 2012 - 17:38

Airfield Layout

Jasta 11 Lineup facing towards east. North of Roucourt visible. (Chimney, 2 stock-building -> 3. Unique Objects) Also note the Tenthangars.

Jasta 12 facing opposite direction (west) towards the little wood of the chateau. You can see Hangar and little Sheds hidden in the Wood!

Albatros in front of the hidden Hangar in the wood.

Hangar in the woods behind Richthofen getting ready to take off.

Again in background of Hochstetters Albatros.

#4 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 24 August 2012 - 17:39

Roucourt - Unique Objects

Beside the buildings and objects that are already ingame there are some, that would give this Airfield the nique touch.

A main object is the Chateau of Roucourt:

Another landmark is the chimney and its nearby building as seen on the Jasta 11 Lineup.

On the Map you can also see the location of a cemetery nearby the Airfield.

#5 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 24 August 2012 - 17:54

Jasta 12 Squadron History

We already have the famous Jasta11 in game that used the Roucourt Airfield. Another Jasta that would put virtual life on the Airfield is the Jasta 12. So I began to write the Squadron History. So maybe one day its possible to fly for that interesting Squadron.
Very Work in Progress so far. I could really need a native speaker to watch it over in th end ;)

Work in Progress:

The Royal Prussian Jagdstaffel 12 was formed on 6 October 1916 at Vaux airfield at Laon.
It evolved from the Fokkerstaffel "West" which got combat-ready on 2 April 1916, equipped with varying types of Fokker aircraft (Fokker E.II, E.III, E.IV, D.I, D.II). On the 29th of the same month Offz. Stellv. Röhr scored the first victory of the Fokkerstaffel, shooting down a Farman. On 5 October 1916 the order came in to form the new Jasta 12 counting 12 pilots. Olt. Hoenemanns transitionally took command till the new squadron leader Obltn. Paul Henning v. Osterroth arrived on 16. October 1916. In November the unit got equipped with Albatros D.II and later D.III fighters.
On 4 December 1916 Ltn. Splitgerber succeeded to score the first victory for Jasta 12. He shot down a FE2b of 25 Sqn. RFC near Farbus. Osterroth was in command till he died on 23 April 1917 fighting Sopwith Pups in his Albatros D.III above Ercourt St. Quentin. His successor was Obltn. Adolf v. Tutschek.
Jasta 12 became one of the highest scoring units during the so called "Bloody April" in 1917 with 28 claimed victories, 23 confirmed by RFC losses.
In late May 1917 the first of the new Albatros D.V aircraft arrived at the Jasta 12 aerodrome near Aubigny-au-Bac. The Jasta 12 pilots continued to score victories in 1917 without a loss for three months, till November 30th, when Ltn. v. Senger crashed into a D.H.5 killing both pilots. Jasta 12 just had moved to Roucourt to stop the RFC groundsupport for the tankbattle of Cambrai in late 1917. February 1918 Jasta 12 became part of the famous Jagdgeschwader 2 also consisting of Jasta 13, 15 and 19 under the command of v. Tutschek stationed in Toulis. The JG2 now was equipped with Albatros D.V/ Va and Pfalz D.III/IIIa fighters and received on 16 February 1918 the first Fokker Dr.I triplanes. In March 1918 JGII was in full support for the german offensive on the Arras – La Fère line, ordered to prevent british airsupport. In the advance of the groundtroops Jasta 12 was moved forward to Roupy, Guizancourt and later Balâtre. In early April the first of the new Siemens-Schuckert D.III arrived. Although showing extraordinary climb performance and good manoeuvrability all SSW D.III had to be sent back in May because the original engine showed problems already after 7 – 10 hours of flying, making the plane impractical for the front. JGII now was short of planes, leaving Jasta12 only with some wornout Fokker Dr.1. Their condition and performance was so desolate that pilot Dombrove was killed during a testflight. So Jasta 12 and 19 were grounded most of June1917 because of no operational aircrafts. In the end of the month Jasta 12 finally received the long awaited Fokker D.VII followed by some D.VIIF equipped with the stronger BMW IIIa engine.
….

New Aircraft arriving by months:
Oktober 1916
Fokker E.II
Fokker E.III
Fokker E.IV
Fokker D.I
Fokker D.II

November 1916
Albatros D.II

January 1917
Albatros D.III

May 1917
Albatros D.V

November 1917
Pfalz D.III
Albatros D.Va

February 1918
Fokker Dr.I

April 1918
Siemens Schuckert D.III (only till May, engine problems, back to Dr.1s)

June 1918 (end)
Fokker D.VII

July 1918
Fokker D.VIIF

October 1918
Siemens Schuckert D.IV

Locations:
Vaux Laon 6.10.16
Riencourt-les-Cagnicourt [Bullecourt] 1.11.16
Niederum [Masny] 23.11.16
Aubigny-au-bac / Epinoy * 19.2.17
Roucourt *
Erkeghem [new map?]
Phalempin*
Roucourt *
Marle *[Marle-Autremencourt]
Toulis * 14.2.1918
Guise *[Guise- St.Quentin]
Roupy *
Guizancourt*
Balâtre [Champien]
Bonneuil Ferme *
Le Mesnil *
Nesle *
Mesnil-Bruntel *
Leffincourt *
Chéry-les-Pouilly [Vivaise]
Fontaine Notre Dame *
Neuflize * [City Neuflize]
Doncourt *
Giraumont *
Charmois [-]
Carignan *
Florenville *
Trier

*available ingame Aerodrome

#6 242Sqn_Wolf

242Sqn_Wolf

Posted 24 August 2012 - 18:00

http://www.flickr.co...267777/sizes/o/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.flickr.co...267777/sizes/o/
http://combatace.com...oucourt-castle/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://combatace.com...ic/45334-jasta- … rt-castle/

#7 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 24 August 2012 - 18:40

Looks like a nice project!

One warning though: make sure the terrain where the Roucourt field should be, is flat enough to take-off / land from. Flattening an area is something that is NOT possible (well it's possible but requires a huge update and the devs aren't going to do that for one airfield).

#8 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 24 August 2012 - 18:47

Ok, thanks Vander. Its not possible to locate it 100% on the ingame map anyway, so I gonna look out whats the best compromise ;)

#9 elephant

elephant

Posted 24 August 2012 - 18:54

Great project! :D
Keep up… :S!:

#10 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 24 August 2012 - 19:43

Very interesting!

Unfortunately roads are even worse than landscape when it comes to update size. Height data for current Western Front map are 38 Mb, but roads alone are 100 Mb.
Forests, on the other hand, are easy and lightweight to add.

#11 redcoat22

redcoat22

Posted 24 August 2012 - 20:33

Very exciting work

#12 Lieste

Lieste

Posted 24 August 2012 - 20:37

What on earth happened to patches using diffs? It shouldn't be beyond the wit of man to modify a section of an image (which is all a DEM is) by changing some data within the image, rather than replacing the whole.

Particularly as file sizes get larger it seems that this becomes more important?

#13 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 24 August 2012 - 20:42

Oh my! I just wanted to bump this thread. This is a very impressive project! This is very exciting news! :D :S!: MJ

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#14 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 24 August 2012 - 20:59

I think ROF updater is quite smart and does diff patching instead of reloading full files. So you are right about height map data - they can be easily patched because it is basically a bitmap. However roads data format is complex and I'm not sure how well diff will work for it.

Anyway, this isn't something we can change or control and if Vander says it is a problem I believe him. Of course there is always a solution but right now it is easier to assume that it is impossible and focus on other things.

#15 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 24 August 2012 - 21:05

I think ROF updater is quite smart and does diff patching instead of reloading full files. So you are right about height map data - they can be easily patched because it is basically a bitmap. However roads data format is complex and I'm not sure how well diff will work for it.

Anyway, this isn't something we can change or control and if Vander says it is a problem I believe him. Of course there is always a solution but right now it is easier to assume that it is impossible and focus on other things.

If the height map really is 38 Mb then I don't see a big problem. However, we should make sure that we fix all current height map issues in one update.

#16 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 24 August 2012 - 21:23

I think the goal of this project and the fixing of height map issues for the whole western front are two different things :)
Anyway, I don't want to turn this thread into technical discussion about map making. There are more interesting things to worry about.

#17 Rama

Rama

Posted 24 August 2012 - 22:28

Its not possible to locate it 100% on the ingame map anyway.
It's possible. There's enough information to find the position on the historical map that was used to draw the in-game map.
Then it's easy to give the position of the village, the castle and the airport in metric or pixel coordinates from the bottom-left map border.
Here an extract of the historical map used to create the in-game map. The bottom left corner of this extract is exactly 79000m east and 234000m north of the bottom left corner of the in-game map.
With this, you can find the right location in the editor.

Sorry, I forgot to tell: pixel size in this extract is exactly 10m x 10m

#18 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:10

Thats a great help Rama, thanks.
I already used the map I found as overlay and orientated myself on the groundtextures which was an approximation. The ground is a bit bumby ther and I had to move abit to the north.
Now I will recheck position with your data, which should be much more exact and see :)

#19 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 28 August 2012 - 21:42

Early stage Work In Progress:

I will post some information on the progress tommorrow.

#20 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 28 August 2012 - 21:54

Early stage Work In Progress:

I will post some information on the progress tommorrow.

I just wanted to bump this thread. What a nice teaser picture! ;) :S!: MJ

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#21 elephant

elephant

Posted 28 August 2012 - 23:52

Indeed… :D
Keep up Paf! :S!:

#22 Der.Mo

Der.Mo

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:13

Huuwiiee! Looking nice already :)

#23 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:25

Nice work :P
Hoping will see it ingame some day!

#24 redcoat22

redcoat22

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:28

More pictures!

#25 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 29 August 2012 - 13:33

Thank you mates.

Ok, what is accomplished?

Roucourt Location
It was possible to pinpoint the exact location of Roucourt on the ingame map, thanks to Rama.
But I had to move Roucourt abit to the northeast. First I did this to get a more flat area for the airfield. After that I had to move the village an airfield again because on some structures of mapmaking. Now its not the 100% real position. But I got a more flat landingarea and more important the ability to place trees where I want. (this means alot to my project)

Roucourt Layout
I finished to build Roucourt village in real historical size with the ingame building-blocks. With them the layout can only be an approximation, but I got as close as I can do.
Roucourt now has its unique streets and little gardens & fields surrounding. (thanks to Vander & Difis for information on substrates!) But this is still being worked on, as I am not happy with the display of the colours ingame. Screenies will follow, when I am more happy with it.
Another big step was the inclusion of trees. With help from AnKor it was possible to have a unique forrest&tree-layout for Roucourt. (You can see abit of it in the Wip-Screen).
It still needs alot of tweaking though.

The factory you see is a placeholder for the Fosse-Roucourt coalmine.
Also the Airfield layout is still default. I will need new Objects (tenthangar,hangar,shed) to place them correctly.
No new objects so far. I can build them in wings, but I need someone to get them ingame actually. :(
So the castle is a placeholder too right now.

So far :)

#26 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 29 August 2012 - 18:54

Worked on the trees. The forest of the chateau is finished (where the hangars are hiding, don't mind the trees growing inside the hangar, they will be cut when new hangar arrives ;)) Also planted some trees in the village and along the roads.

Actual state, view from the south:

and from the west:

Next I will retexture the forest-ground and surrounding of le Chateau.

#27 Rocket_RM

Rocket_RM

Posted 29 August 2012 - 19:00

Absolutely stunning work!!! Can't wait to see more!

#28 redcoat22

redcoat22

Posted 30 August 2012 - 16:45

It would be so nice to figure out a way to have static planes on the fields in career. This would really bring your work to the next level.

Cheers!

#29 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 30 August 2012 - 19:33

Yes that would be great indeed. I will release this as a mod, so you can built missions with it, but career is far away for now ;) Unique objects for this project seem to be far away also, as I don't own Max. But enough still has to be done even without new 3d objects. The finetuning is very timeconsuming, loading, tweaking, loading etc :)

A new screenie out of a Jasta11 Albie; tweaked Roucourt colours abit + fixed some trees:

#30 Branwell

Branwell

Posted 30 August 2012 - 19:43

Yes that would be great indeed. I will release this as a mod, so you can built missions with it, but career is far away for now ;) Unique objects for this project seem to be far away also, as I don't own Max. But enough still has to be done even without new 3d objects. The finetuning is very timeconsuming, loading, tweaking, loading etc :)

A new screenie out of a Jasta11 Albie; tweaked Roucourt colours abit + fixed some trees:

Wot no water tower?! :o

Only joking Paf :lol: - fantastic work! :S!:

#31 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 30 August 2012 - 19:56

wow, guys, that is definatly an important major improvement..

#32 Lfox

Lfox

Posted 30 August 2012 - 20:59

Lovely work Paf this is a real immersion augmenter. :S!:

#33 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:05

Just found the place on Google Earth :)
Very impressive!
As for colors - ROF adjusts them depending on time of day and I think you'll never see colors as is in the game. That's why it may be a bit difficult to account for that when drawing a texture.

What is good about Roucourt from ROF standpoint is that its whole area fits nicely into 800x800 square, so you have to use just one new tile. I'm really curious how many additional tiles the game can handle.

#34 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 31 August 2012 - 13:19

Hi AnKor,

I tested the textures now at different times. Best is to get them look good at midday. Other way it can happen the colours are looking too washed out with maximum of sun :)

Yes, Roucourt fits onto 800x800 square and could make use of only one Texture. Actually I am right now working with four, because I think the roads are important to get the village convincing into the scenery. There is no problem however to reduce the textures to one, Other way around would be harder.
I don't know how much textures ROF can take. The substrate (for the castle) and textures are very small right now, but maybe there is somewhere a texturelimit. We will see, and when there is a problem with too much textures in future I can reduce its amount.

You see how wonderful the trees work? :D Thanks!

#35 jeanba4

jeanba4

Posted 31 August 2012 - 13:32

That's a great project !

#36 Mogster

Mogster

Posted 07 September 2012 - 18:46

This looks really excellent, as others have said add in static planes and it'd be a huge improvement over the current airfields.

#37 ER_O_v._Kessler

ER_O_v._Kessler

Posted 07 September 2012 - 18:54

the jasta 12 is my special interest, wrote you a pm.. hope i can help something ..

Maybe this maps help to get the right location

Attached File  dansanstrip1x.jpg   73.56KB   650 downloads

Attached File  roucourt1xg7.jpg   142.17KB   650 downloads

Spandau.. What else ?? :icon_mad:

#38 =J99=Sizzlorr

=J99=Sizzlorr

Posted 07 September 2012 - 19:09

Nice work! Keep it up Paf!

yedwwtfx.gif

#39 J99Hasso

J99Hasso

Posted 07 September 2012 - 20:23

:D good job

#40 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:07

WW1EAF_Paf,
As I've posted in another topic (http://riseofflight....=460497#p460497" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?p=460497#p460497) - I can actually help with the info on making actual roads or levelling the terrain, but it is just very impractical to do so for a single village.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users