- - - - -

List of possible static objects

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#41 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 11 August 2012 - 21:51

Don;t forget to keep the poly count low, especially if lots of these objects get sprinkled onto the maps, there may be performance consequences… The mesh below are just 400 polys, and still working at reducing them.

Just a humble beginning for me, but given the number of empty pastures out there in RoF Land, I thought some herds of cows would be interesting –not as targets mind you– so not planning a damage model, sorry to those with the butcher's instinct :? But don't hit them crash landing either!

Still working on UV maps, but I thought Limousin cattle would be appropriate as I hear they are the Cadillac of French cows :lol: Besides they don't have markings, so can get away with one small texture…

And the effect I hope to achieve…

#42 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 11 August 2012 - 22:42

How about the 3D models of upcoming aircraft releases, as static objects, on aerodrome fields or nearby water ways, without DM or FM, etc, that you can look at, as a reminder of what will be in the store soon? :S!: MJ

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#43 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 11 August 2012 - 23:11

About cows, Bandy should make them this color (Montbeliarde):

…or this one (Normande):

…according to global front line area in ROF.
I believe Limousine and Charolaise cows were not common in North Est of France at this time.

#44 AndyJWest

AndyJWest

Posted 11 August 2012 - 23:22

Oh dear, is this thread going to evolve into an argument about the historical authenticity of breeds of cows? :roll:

Just kidding. ;) Nice work, Bandy. Whichever colour scheme you go for, they'll look good.

#45 zachanscom

zachanscom

Posted 11 August 2012 - 23:57

they look like this http://farm3.staticf...905b222bb_z.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://farm3.staticf...r.com/2519/4018 … 22bb_z.jpg

seems like white skin with golden brown fur

#46 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 12 August 2012 - 00:24

they look like this http://farm3.staticf...905b222bb_z.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://farm3.staticf...r.com/2519/4018 … 22bb_z.jpg

seems like white skin with golden brown fur

Yes Limousines are all brown.
But this kind of cows are coming from Limousin area in France:

Not very close to WW1 front line…but it's nitpicking :)

#47 zachanscom

zachanscom

Posted 12 August 2012 - 00:31

yeah i think it's fairly easy to convert to the other types. just make the head smaller and legs longer.

#48 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:22

Cow-nards! :lol:

Prior to posting I did look up different breeds and found this great website with cows by country LINK, I was looking for a common North-eastern breed, which I think are blond to white (relative for cows…).

Regardless, I'll be 'skinning' them so one texture will cover them all for performance reasons, so am going for a solid colour cow. Unfortunately, if I went with a spotted/patterned cow, it would be repetitive and bothersome (cow-clones?), at least to my eye.

Cheers for the interest! :S!:

#49 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:01

For perfomance reasons, it's absolutely ok with me if they are only one color ;)
Good luck!

#50 AndyJWest

AndyJWest

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:22

For perfomance reasons, it's absolutely ok with me if they are only one color ;)
Good luck!

Nope. Unacceptable. German cows all had lozenge-patterned skins - where else do you think they got the fabric for their aircraft? ;)

#51 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:13

Hey! Never thought about that! :lol:

#52 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:22

Nope. Unacceptable. German cows all had lozenge-patterned skins - where else do you think they got the fabric for their aircraft? ;)
Excellent suggestion, I will definitely try that skin out! Who knew!?! :lol:

#53 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:37

These figures look great zachanscom, very detailed, will add to the ambiance of the airfield. But if I may humbly ask, what is the polygon count and size of the textures?
I ask because I was thinking about making some peasant workers for a hay wagon (yes, I'm trapped into more domestic perspective… :oops: ), so I looked to the level of detail the developers used on figures. Not great, but they only look poor if you get too close. Ask how many times are you going to get close.

#54 zachanscom

zachanscom

Posted 12 August 2012 - 18:12

it's 1600 triangles, the one with the chair is a little more. they could probably be a little lower.

#55 Gunsmith86

Gunsmith86

Posted 13 August 2012 - 16:00

industry:

crane:

http://de.academic.ru/dic.nsf/technik/13416/Krane

Factorys:

#56 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 13 August 2012 - 21:35

Could be a good start :mrgreen:

Just for the fun, and to be put at the right place on map! :D
Ok, i didn't say it…

#57 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 13 August 2012 - 21:43

I think if we are going to create farm animals we need tractors and other equipment. Also, how about a few barns so I can learn how to shoot. :mrgreen:

#58 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 13 August 2012 - 22:13

:lol: No tractors in France in 1914 Jet!

#59 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 13 August 2012 - 22:56

Really? I know I've seen a photo of an American tractor pulling an artillery piece in France, 1918. So they weren't used on farms in this era?

#60 Gunsmith86

Gunsmith86

Posted 13 August 2012 - 23:01

Tractors:

#61 Gunsmith86

Gunsmith86

Posted 13 August 2012 - 23:06

Really? I know I've seen a photo of an American tractor pulling an artillery piece in France, 1918. So they weren't used on farms in this era?

Only very big farms used some kinde of tractors for work at this time. This early machines were very expensiv and big. Military used traktors for artillery which was to heavey for horses.

#62 Rama

Rama

Posted 13 August 2012 - 23:07

They weren't used on farms. The first tractors imported in France for demo were the Titan 25 and 45 between 1911 and 1914. But the real use of tractors in the fields begun after 1918.

#63 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester
  • LocationRedlands, California

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:41

That crane (it's in Wuerzburg, which I visited many times while in the Army) is from the 1700s, so it probably isn't exactly relevant to the WWI timeframe.

#64 Gunsmith86

Gunsmith86

Posted 14 August 2012 - 14:24

Ok removed

:S!:

#65 HARRYq

HARRYq

Posted 14 August 2012 - 14:47

Hello ^^

Anyone thinked about any soldiers best friend, the field-kitchen ?

Think looks good some of them on a road like truck-convois, resting the horses near a lake or river. Or on a train, like on picture two. Also would be nice to see one or two at a camp. ^^

:S!:

Attached Files

#66 Waxworks

Waxworks

Posted 14 August 2012 - 16:45

I have to wonder whether industrial factory objects would be of that much use as almost all the possible targets are off the east edge of our map. Targets in occupied France or in Alsace-Lorraine would much more likely be stations, shunting yards and rail workshops.

Some variation in styles of shed would be a distinct improvement! However, if you still wanted industrial objects, among the priority targets in western Germany were the blast furnaces.

#67 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 14 August 2012 - 17:51

I have to wonder whether industrial factory objects would be of that much use as almost all the possible targets are off the east edge of our map. Targets in occupied France or in Alsace-Lorraine would much more likely be stations, shunting yards and rail workshops.

Some variation in styles of shed would be a distinct improvement! However, if you still wanted industrial objects, among the priority targets in western Germany were the blast furnaces.

I agree. I don't factories are high priority. Besides, we already have several good models in the game.

Think train stations (covering the tracks?), depots, small ports in canals. Basically everything that has to do with moving around supplies and troops…

#68 Murilo_Specht

Murilo_Specht

Posted 14 August 2012 - 19:03

I agree. I don't factories are high priority. Besides, we already have several good models in the game.

Think train stations (covering the tracks?), depots, small ports in canals. Basically everything that has to do with moving around supplies and troops…

I wonder why the first thing I thought about when you mentioned trains stations was me flying inside them… :lol:

#69 FlightFight

FlightFight

Posted 14 August 2012 - 20:30

I made a simple Heystack.

How can you import it into the game?

I know the sky is upsidedown but who cares :P

Attached Files

#70 Gunsmith86

Gunsmith86

Posted 14 August 2012 - 21:08

I agree too. Factories shouldn´t be priority at the moment but the title of the post is "List of possible static objects" and more diffrent kinds of factories are possible static objects for future. After all world war one was the first war of the industrie.

+1 for train stations, depots, small ports in canals. Basically everything that has to do with moving around supplies and troops

#71 242Sqn_Wolf

242Sqn_Wolf

Posted 14 August 2012 - 21:11

I have a question. I have read a lot of stuff on the great war about mortars and other underground activities. Is it possible underground static object too?

#72 HARRYq

HARRYq

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:36

I agree too. Factories shouldn´t be priority at the moment but the title of the post is "List of possible static objects" and more diffrent kinds of factories are possible static objects for future. After all world war one was the first war of the industrie.

Good morning.^^

That sounds good. Especially if flying GOTHA or HP it would be nice see more different looking factory-targets. Also would be fine, for me, that there are true strategic targets, the heavy bombers wasnt buildt for fly only to destroi railway-stations, too, but like you sayd, it was a war of industrie, and that industrie thy tryed to hit. Both sides. I like that Reims-szenario on SYN, for example, the railstation in Reims with all that barracks around the station. Here i can watch an part of that enourmous logistic bahind the fighting man on the mudland. Also remember a szenario were the target was a industrial complex in Lenns. Wished there were more such targets. For me, flyed mostly heavy bombers or twoseaters, a problem is, that there is one target for HP or GOTHA and after this one is wasted, i have nothing to do with a heavy bomber.

Mostly. There are too maps with more bomber targets, but are set, also not everytime, all to one place of the map, close to each other. Would be nice to have one target in the left far corner of the map and the second one in the right far corner, if you got what i mean ? Fine, need a coffee and fightertraining.

Cya :S!: ^^

#73 realCallahan

realCallahan

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:15

Static Objects?
Horrible good idea! :)

#74 Avimimus

Avimimus

Posted 15 August 2012 - 16:48

http://en.wikipedia....Trench_railways" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia....Trench_railways

#75 zachanscom

zachanscom

Posted 15 August 2012 - 18:54

I made a simple Heystack.

How can you import it into the game?

I know the sky is upsidedown but who cares :P

lol for a simple haystack it looks like it has more polygons than the both mine and vander's watertower combined.

read the sdk notes from the plugin download. it'll tell you the polygon limit and how to import the object it into the game.

#76 242Sqn_Wolf

242Sqn_Wolf

Posted 15 August 2012 - 19:51

Commincation Panels to give battlefields and airfields more realistic look.

#77 Nooney

Nooney
  • LocationOn your 6 Boooooom

Posted 15 August 2012 - 23:14

Mcdonalds for when you get shot down, something to eat before the long walk home
Travelodge in case its a late shotdown set off in the morning
Post office send a postcard home if shot down in scenic place
Bus stop in case shot in leg cant walk home
Bank draw money out to pay bus fare, travelodge and Mcdonalds will take switch
bout covers it :D

#78 Waxworks

Waxworks

Posted 19 August 2012 - 18:10

Before the March offensive the Germans built up ammunition dumps at the sites the guns would move to just before the attack. They were lorry-sized. 'At first it was not known what these tarpaulin-covered objects, dumped quite openly in an otherwiseempty landscape, could be.' A direct hit by artillery would cause them to explode.

#79 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 19 August 2012 - 19:53

Before the March offensive the Germans built up ammunition dumps at the sites the guns would move to just before the attack. They were lorry-sized. 'At first it was not known what these tarpaulin-covered objects, dumped quite openly in an otherwiseempty landscape, could be.' A direct hit by artillery would cause them to explode.

That seems very doable. Any pictures of such a dump?

#80 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 19 August 2012 - 20:33

http://www.wholesale...DDD0918480A.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.wholesale...DDD0918480A.jpg

http://www.wholesale...DDD0918480B.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.wholesale...DDD0918480B.jpg

http://www.keepmilit....php?&CatID=243" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.keepmilit...useum.org/somme … &CatID=243

Plus tarpaulins on top?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users