#81 ROSS_DiFiS

ROSS_DiFiS

Posted 17 August 2012 - 14:21

Great!

#82 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 17 August 2012 - 15:19

So its possible to import *.obj files, for example made with Wings3D, in Max8 and get them ready for ROF. :D

#83 ROSS_DiFiS

ROSS_DiFiS

Posted 17 August 2012 - 15:26

Any objects may import to Max8 and export to RoF.

But! Size of textures! Number of polygons! Number of objects! Lod1 (2). Damadge models! Collision blocks!

It's very important! Attension alltime! :)

#84 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 17 August 2012 - 15:40

Take that Camel model. I created a simple collision model (three blobs surrounding the plane), but no damage model and no LOD's. Although the import took me no more than 10 minutes, to make the other stuff (lot more UV mapping/finetuning, polycount optimisation) will take a couple of evenings at least. Which I'm not going to do by the way. I think we need to import (static) vehicles first.

But it's great that we are finally able to play around with this!

#85 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 18 August 2012 - 13:08

Does anybody know how (if it's possible) to define a sound for a static object? So that if you get close enough, you will hear that sound?

#86 ROSS_DiFiS

ROSS_DiFiS

Posted 18 August 2012 - 13:48

sounds for the buildings can only be done through the FMOD.
FMOD-files is built into the game and can not be edited.

#87 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 18 August 2012 - 14:23

too bad!

#88 N28_Uberplane

N28_Uberplane

Posted 18 August 2012 - 16:01

Congrats, DiFiS on becoming a Dev. Partner!

=IRFC=

#89 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:49

Question: Is it possible to change the colour of a model, ie add ambient colour in 3dsmax?

If I look at these models I'm pretty sure they use the same texture (I can't find another one in the gtp files) yet the ones on the left have a brownish colour.
I tried ambient colour settings, vertex colours but all to no avail…..

Attached File  trench06.jpg   226.63KB   390 downloads

#90 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 31 August 2012 - 14:22

I found some textures extracted from the gtp files far too washed out ingame. For example the forrest texture. When used by myself its far too bright and with weak colours.
I ended using a edited version or a complete new one drawn by myself (I know you aim to reuse ingametextures here :()

#91 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:20

Vander, I've looked into mgm files and it seems tinted models (gunpos01, pillboxes from the "firing-point" folder) use "Specular" material as opposed to "Building" one (gunpos02 from "battlefield" folder).
That material supports more settings like specular color, so may be it is the case.

#92 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:07

Vander, I've looked into mgm files and it seems tinted models (gunpos01, pillboxes from the "firing-point" folder) use "Specular" material as opposed to "Building" one (gunpos02 from "battlefield" folder).
That material supports more settings like specular color, so may be it is the case.

Thanks Ankor. I'll look into that, although I haven't been able to successfully export models with "specular" material.

#93 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:34

Yes, it's the "specular" material that makes the difference. However, you can't use specular material for a "block" or "building" model; the model simply won't show up. So I created a "firing point" using the same model with "specular" material and then the colour changes (not because of any setting change in 3dsmax). In this screenshot the trench on top is a "firing point" and the one below is a "battlefield" objects (same type as "block" or "building").

Attached File  trench07.jpg   147.55KB   618 downloads

Now it looks good, but this is not what I want. The "firing point" object will only show up when it has an entity. On the other hand I did leave out the machineguns in the .cfg so I wonder what the performance/memory impact will be?

#94 pollux18

pollux18

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:26

Hehe, yeah static Camels. I came across this model, which actually used the RoF skin as texture: http://www.turbosqui...x.cfm/ID/516387" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.turbosqui...m/FullPreview/I … /ID/516387

As you can see one of the problems is the simple damage model, the other is the lack of specular / reflective lighting, but I'm surprised that it still looks quite believable (with a 512x texture). However, the 3d model has too many polys for a static object (around 7000).

Note: First Camel is a "real" aircraft.

A good idea to give life to the airfield while limiting the impact on performance.

Thank you all for your work to further enhance this beautiful simulation. :S!:
"Il faut préférer la modestie de ceux qui s'associent pour combattre aux triomphes passagers de celui qui s'isole."

Cdt De Rose

#95 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:51

I tried to export a text object but it somehow ignores my UV mapping. The object shows properly with mapped texture in 3Ds MAx but when I export it, it simply maps the entire texture to every face of the model repeatedly :/ Any ideas what I did wrong?

#96 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 04 September 2012 - 13:53

I tried to export a text object but it somehow ignores my UV mapping. The object shows properly with mapped texture in 3Ds MAx but when I export it, it simply maps the entire texture to every face of the model repeatedly :/ Any ideas what I did wrong?

Mmmm, haven't seen this. Some clues (but I'm not a 3dsmax guru)

-Did you set the Gennadich material type correctly ("building")
-Did you accidently change the UV mapping channel?
-I think you can actually overrule the UV mapping in 3dsmax, but then you should have seen it in the viewport???

#97 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 04 September 2012 - 13:59

It is drawn as intended in the veiwports and when rendering it, but when exported it doesn't work.

I set it to building and the gennadich tool also lists the uv unwrap so I am not sure what went wrong.

maybe one of you could upload your model so I can compare the material settings?

#98 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 04 September 2012 - 14:09

It is drawn as intended in the veiwports and when rendering it, but when exported it doesn't work.

I set it to building and the gennadich tool also lists the uv unwrap so I am not sure what went wrong.

maybe one of you could upload your model so I can compare the material settings?

I'll send you something when I get home. It's always good to have a complete sample project. But you could also use the 3dsmax models in the SDK package?

#99 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 04 September 2012 - 14:12

oh right :) will do that, thanks!

#100 SYN_MrWolf

SYN_MrWolf

Posted 04 September 2012 - 15:43

@ Imp

Sometimes objects have multiple UV's. So the viewport can use the right one. But inside the shaders a wrong one is selected. Make sure you delete the ones which don't work for you before you export.

#101 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 04 September 2012 - 16:21

Hi, I had to select "colapse all" in the modifier list, total 3Ds Max noob here \o/

#102 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 04 September 2012 - 16:40

You never know how long the sortie will take :D

#103 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 04 September 2012 - 16:59

Glad you got it working! :)
Roucourt Airfield definately needs one of these :D

#104 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:33

:D
Well it's just a 15 minute placeholder texture so it should probably receive a *tiny* bit more polishing before we can think of adding it to the game. Also it's not really something serious, I am not even sure they had such houses back then, an open latrine was probably far more typical.
It's just a very simply object to model and UV map, that's all. My very first, too :)

#105 Riemann73

Riemann73

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:40

May I say LOL ? :mrgreen:

#106 catchov

catchov

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:56

Your first! :shock: Nice job Imp! :lol:

We need postcards. French ones. :mrgreen:

#107 elephant

elephant

Posted 05 September 2012 - 18:22

:D
Well it's just a 15 minute placeholder texture so it should probably receive a *tiny* bit more polishing before we can think of adding it to the game. Also it's not really something serious, I am not even sure they had such houses back then, an open latrine was probably far more typical.
It's just a very simply object to model and UV map, that's all. My very first, too :)

Very nice Imp, Congrats on your first model for RoF! :lol:
Since it's a placeholder texture, consider that untreated wood in the open, subjects to UV oxidation and turns to light grey… :ugeek:

#108 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 11 September 2012 - 16:22

Question for the devs:

While creating smaller static objects I run into the following problem. The next level of detail model (LOD) only pops into view when the viewer is around 1000m away!
This means if I create a high poly model of a static object, it will only switch to a lower LOD when you can barely even see that object! This will be hard on the frame rate if you have several of these objects in the game. Is there any way I can change the LOD out distance? For a high poly small static object I want it to change LODs at 25-50 meters or so!

#109 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:01

I don't have exact answer but I have asked a similar question when I noticed that some model related .txt in graphics folder aren't empty but contain LOD related lines. Devs said that LOD should be controllable from these files, but I didn't investigate it further.

I have found two kinds of these settings.
One from the "buildings" folder, for example "cappychateau.txt":
lod_error1=5
lod_error2=12
lod_error2=32

The meaning of these numbers evades me. And why are there two lines for "lod_error2"?

And from other folders, for example Caquot.txt:
lod="graphics\Balloons\Caquot\Caquot.MGM",400
lod="graphics\Balloons\Caquot\10_Caquot.MGM",370
lod="graphics\Balloons\Caquot\20_Caquot.MGM",250
lod="graphics\Balloons\Caquot\30_Caquot.MGM",12

Again, no idea about the numbers, but at least these look more meaningful, however I have doubts that they will work for static objects. You may try, of course :)

PS: I'm not sure if devs watch this topic, perhaps you should PM them.

#110 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:05

I don't have exact answer but I have asked a similar question when I noticed that some .txt files that come with the models (i.e. not LuaScript ones) aren't empty but contain some LOD related lines. Devs said that LOD should be controllable from these files, but I didn't investigate it further.

I have found two kinds of these settings.
One from the "buildings" folder, for example "cappychateau.txt":
lod_error1=5
lod_error2=12
lod_error2=32

The meaning of these numbers evades me. And why are there two lines for "lod_error2"?

And from other folders, for example Caquot.txt:
lod="graphics\Balloons\Caquot\Caquot.MGM",400
lod="graphics\Balloons\Caquot\10_Caquot.MGM",370
lod="graphics\Balloons\Caquot\20_Caquot.MGM",250
lod="graphics\Balloons\Caquot\30_Caquot.MGM",12

Again, no idea about the numbers, but at least these look more meaningful, however I have doubts that they will work for static objects. You may try, of course :)

PS: I'm not sure if devs watch this topic, perhaps you should PM them.

Again, thanks! Yes, I have also emailed the devs with this question.

That last sample looks very promising indeed! You would expect the numbers to be a distance in meters, but since they decrease it must be something else?

#111 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 12 September 2012 - 14:48

Alas. I've have no luck with this….

#112 VonGerlach

VonGerlach

Posted 17 December 2012 - 18:45

Very glad to see this work going on, i will lend a hand once i get the sim re installed and can get to know the parameters and the sin engine. Will be happy to help develop objects, buildings and landscape details.

Are there needed structures or detail items that would be at the top of the list? i can make just about anything and have some WWI items already created, including a Zeppelin. Just not had time to do much with this for a while.

Director and Lead

3D World and Game Developers Group Linkedin

"We Build Worlds"

#113 catchov

catchov

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:50

Alas. I've have no luck with this….

Sometimes things just don't work out Vander. :cry: Keep persevering please. :)

#114 J5_tabasco

J5_tabasco

Posted 05 January 2013 - 15:52

I would like to see more ground targets

#115 DaveSax

DaveSax

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:48

Perhaps a good approach would be to put together a list of what's required. It can then be ticked off by those of us with a copy of Max.
And enough time. ;-)

#116 Genius

Genius

Posted 01 August 2014 - 23:25

Already exist: riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=348&t=31850

#117 DaveSax

DaveSax

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:30

Fantastic, thanks. ;-)

#118 TMMR

TMMR

Posted 27 May 2016 - 21:22

This looks great, but does it still work? And if so, how can I get my hands on it? 

#119 xvii-Dietrich

xvii-Dietrich
  • LocationNorway / Finland

Posted 27 May 2016 - 23:09

The link in the first post to the SDK is dead.

Does anyone know where I can find it these days? I'm interested in building some map static models.

xvii-kuesta-add2e.jpg

#120 Genius

Genius

Posted 01 August 2016 - 20:20

The link in the first post to the SDK is dead.

Does anyone know where I can find it these days? I'm interested in building some map static models.

Re, i re-upload here: https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users