Photo
- - - - -

ROF Buildings and Blocks SDK Available

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#41 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 07 August 2012 - 17:34

Интерессно.. А все помещённые обекты будут иметь какие-либо свойства? Можно-ли об них разбиться? Или они будут проницаемыми?
Можно и разбиться. И разбомбить тоже можно :)
Собственно всё как и у зданий: есть и модель столкновений, и разрушенное состояние.

#42 Keks_pilot

Keks_pilot

Posted 07 August 2012 - 17:47

Интерессно.. А все помещённые обекты будут иметь какие-либо свойства? Можно-ли об них разбиться? Или они будут проницаемыми?
Можно и разбиться. И разбомбить тоже можно :)
Собственно всё как и у зданий: есть и модель столкновений, и разрушенное состояние.

Не убедительно! :) Если я сделал модель нового ангара то как она разрушится не будучи прикрученной к игровому движку? Для этого мне необходимо сделать ещё одну модель повреждённого ангара и прикрутить к движку?! Обект-то статичен!

#43 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 07 August 2012 - 18:12

So can we use a 3rd party 3d object in an MP mission, same as with clouds or substrates??? :)

#44 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 07 August 2012 - 18:19

Не убедительно! :) Если я сделал модель нового ангара то как она разрушится не будучи прикрученной к игровому движку? Для этого мне необходимо сделать ещё одну модель повреждённого ангара и прикрутить к движку?! Обект-то статичен!
Ну так там и есть две модели – целая и разрушенная. В отдельных файлах :)
Если присмотреться, то домики тоже разрушаются одинаково: их накрывает облако пыли и в нём модель незаметно подменяется на разрушенный дом. Это всё в SDK описано, правда по-английски.

So can we use a 3rd party 3d object in an MP mission, same as with clouds or substrates???
Not sure, really. There's always a chance they will work, but I have never tested it.

#45 Keks_pilot

Keks_pilot

Posted 07 August 2012 - 18:28

Ну так там и есть две модели – целая и разрушенная.
Ок! Всё понял.
Пытался Промтом перевести но всё равно получается фигня!

Ещё вопрос! У меня 64-х битная Семёрка? Станет-ли плагин (да и вобще Макс 8) на неё или…

#46 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 07 August 2012 - 18:43

Да, у меня так и работает на семёрке.
Ты лучше в русскоязычном форуме создай тему. Может разработчики русской версией документации поделятся, она у них точно есть :)

#47 Mogster

Mogster

Posted 07 August 2012 - 20:15

Additional static planes?
(even in repair!)

The only problem with doing that is that the damage effect is very different, which would make it look rather silly next to an actual airplane. :P

A big poof of smoke revealing destroyed plane that looks exactly the same every time. This would especially look comical if you were to strafe it.

So even with the best of efforts, I think you would find yourself at least mildly disappointed.

Besides, there is a lot of man hours tucked away in an aircraft model. I wouldn't wanna make one just to put it on the ground, lol.

The dev's have said the same, no static planes if they don't have complex DM so we end up with no static planes 3 years after game release.

I'd be happy to have planes with basic DM as strafe targets, every other sim does that. Its better than taking off from and attacking empty airfields.

I hope this takes off, ROF really needs more ground objects and activity.

#48 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV USA

Posted 07 August 2012 - 20:22

So can we use a 3rd party 3d object in an MP mission, same as with clouds or substrates??? :)

This is a question for Han and Loft. I think they can, but everyone would need to have the same things and some kind of other file needs to match or something.

Let's see some buildings before we waste a bunch of time worrying about MP.

Jason

#49 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 07 August 2012 - 20:55

I really hope some ROF talentous members could build new stuff with this program because it's just chineese for me :( furthermore in an other language than mine…

#50 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 07 August 2012 - 20:56

This is a question for Han and Loft. I think they can, but everyone would need to have the same things and some kind of other file needs to match or something.

Let's see some buildings before we waste a bunch of time worrying about MP.

Jason

Actually, it was great that new clouds could be added to MP as downloadable content as it's sort of a "live" test. Imagine slipping a new 3d object into an MP mission with 50 players and you instantly know if there are any performance issues or other weird things going on. That's why I ask.

#51 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer

Posted 07 August 2012 - 21:00

Vander,

I just don't think buildings act the same way as clouds in that regard.

Jason

#52 redcoat22

redcoat22

Posted 07 August 2012 - 21:12

I like to listen to the adults talking.

#53 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 07 August 2012 - 21:24

Vander,

I just don't think buildings act the same way as clouds in that regard.

Jason

No, I just read the sdk docs. There are a lot more files to take into account… I found my copy of 3max8 still in working order though! :)

#54 Bf-110

Bf-110

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:10

Are there static destroyed vehicles and planes in RoF already?If not,it would be great to have.
Too bad I can't contribute,Skinning was already a challenge for me…

#55 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:00

Max8 is one of the more popular versions out there.

Jason

#56 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:24

Vander,
When anyone makes any useful 3D model I will test to see if it can be used in MP. Of course I can test with something like that cube made by DiFiS, but right now I just don't want to spend any more time on top of what I'm already doing for ROF modding.

When I was looking for a way to download clouds Vaal told me that he once tried similar approach with new objects and it didn't work - game restart was required for new models to be visible. I don't know when he tried it and maybe something has changed since then, or maybe he was actually trying a different thing. So there's still a chance it will work.

There are number of separate files needed for 3D model, but it is not that big, and only the texture file size may be a problem when downloading from the server.

#57 ROSS_DiFiS

ROSS_DiFiS

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:06

??? :x :D

Attached Files

#58 -bbob

-bbob

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:30

Can someone make a list of other objects needed for air races/shows apart from the pylons? It seems a waste to use an entire texture draw-call on a single object, especially if there is other things needed in the same context.

EDIT:

- Spectators (on stands etc.) - ???

I'll start out with making some water towers.

Max8 is one of the more popular versions out there.

Jason

It really isn't ;)

Max 9 is a lot more stable/has better features (x64 for example). Admittedly the following versions 2008-2010 got increasingly worse as autodesk focused on slamming in new features instead of fixing old ones. But they started doing that in max 2011 and the 2013 version is hands down the best yet. You hardly need any plugins to work efficiently and viewport performance is insane.

#59 IRFC_SmokinHole

IRFC_SmokinHole

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:20

Would the fortress at Liege be possible?

#60 -bbob

-bbob

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:48

Add it to the list!

Be a sweetheart and help collect reference, too :P

#61 Fudge

Fudge

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:39

It's great to see mod support in games now days, thank you. Shame I don't have max8.

#62 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:53

??? :x :D

Nice targets to boresight our mahcine gun! Maybe a bigger one to be able to shoot at it at 150 meters? :S!:

#63 ROSS_DiFiS

ROSS_DiFiS

Posted 08 August 2012 - 16:39

d = 3 m

#64 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 08 August 2012 - 22:40

Phew…it took some time, I had to re-learn 3dsmax amongst others, but I have my first object in the game. It is complete with LODs, collision model, damage model, winter texture. Not bad for an afternoon's /evening work! But the 3d model I took from Turbo Squid: http://www.turbosqui...x.cfm/ID/464428" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.turbosqui...m/FullPreview/I … /ID/464428 but you still need to make a damage model, collision model and LOD's yourself.

A "celtic" house, maybe something for the Channel map? LOL After this test, I'll try a more serious model…

Attached File  FirstObject.jpg   400.68KB   877 downloads

#65 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 08 August 2012 - 23:00

Phew…it took some time, I had to re-learn 3dsmax amongst others, but I have my first object in the game. It is complete with LODs, collision model, damage model, winter texture. Not bad for an afternoon's /evening work! But the 3d model I took from Turbo Squid: http://www.turbosqui...x.cfm/ID/464428" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.turbosqui...m/FullPreview/I … /ID/464428 but you still need to make a damage model, collision model and LOD's yourself.

A "celtic" house, maybe something for the Channel map? LOL

That house looks awesome, Vander! :o That is easily a seven figure home, in Scarsdale, NY. :lol: :S!: mj

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#66 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer

Posted 08 August 2012 - 23:39

How cute Vander! LOL

Jason

#67 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 08 August 2012 - 23:59

A "celtic" house, maybe something for the Channel map? LOL

Not that bad Vander! I like it.
Typical French Britain house :) …but we don't have Britain on map…

#68 Bf-110

Bf-110

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:41

-bbob remembered well!Air racing and aerobatics objects would be interesting.

And Vander,is that an illustrated "nock nock" joke?

#69 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:41

That's impressive!

Vander, if you have time you can easily make a test to see if the model works in MP.
Just add a Media MCU for every required model file (mgm, col, dds, txt) so they will be referenced in the *.list, and that's it.

#70 redcoat22

redcoat22

Posted 09 August 2012 - 13:38

A "celtic" house, maybe something for the Channel map? LOL After this test, I'll try a more serious model…

Great work! The picture of Winter textures begs a comparison to the Fall ones (which are great). I always thought the Winter one was lacking.

If I recall correctly, a 3rd party made the Fall ones. I know this is unrelated, but Jason; have you ever considered doing a "kickstarter" or something to fund a new set of "deep snowy Winter" or Spring set? I would contribute quite a lot and it wouldn't detract much from your ongoing work.

http://www.turbosqui...g-bertha/669178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.turbosqui...m/3d-models/3d- … tha/669178

#71 WW1Addict

WW1Addict

Posted 09 August 2012 - 19:56

Thank you, Jason and Team RoF! I can now put my new 3DS Max skills to work on something useful!

#72 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:15

According to the manual, the "building" material supports specularity. How do you define this in 3dsmax? In the example block file (the block houses) I don't see any specific setting, yet in the editor/game I notice the roof tiles seem to have specular lighting as they light up when the sun is low…

#73 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:44

I'll ask devs in Russian.
I think it is better to make a separate topic for SDK questions as it is easier to track them there.

By the way, I've noticed two kinds of blocks in the mission editor after this update (I'm not sure if they were there before 1.027). For example, there's a block called "block_l_01" and "blocke_l_01". The latter one has specular roofs for buildings unlike the former.

#74 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:09

I'll ask devs in Russian.
I think it is better to make a separate topic for SDK questions as it is easier to track them there.

By the way, I've noticed two kinds of blocks in the mission editor after this update (I'm not sure if they were there before 1.027). For example, there's a block called "block_l_01" and "blocke_l_01". The latter one has specular roofs for buildings unlike the former.

Ah thanks, will look into the other block model. Good example files are sooo important!

#75 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 12 August 2012 - 13:07

Yeah, I also like it when there are good examples.
I've extracted graphics1.gtp to see what changed for those block"e" models (they are actually new, weren't there for 1.026) and it seems that texture's alpha channel is somehow used for specularity. At least this is the only obvious difference between them and old models.

The manual states that only 0% and 100% transparency is supported on buildings, so maybe values in-between define specularity?
Of course, an official answer is preferrable than my guesses :)

#76 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 12 August 2012 - 14:55

You are right! I accidently dropped one of those new house blocks in the editor. They are the ones with specular lighting. So it's not weird that I don't see anything special in the sample files.

#77 -bbob

-bbob

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:09

If the plane textures are anything to go by, full black is invisible and the rest is specular on DXT5.

I will experiment after I finish the diffuse of this damn water tower.

Unemployment makes procrastination too damn easy and whaddaya know now I am doing it again. lol.

#78 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 17 August 2012 - 13:24

What is funny about this screenshot? Hint: it's not the water tower….

Attached File  dfw_attacking_camels.jpg   385.29KB   1392 downloads

#79 ROSS_DiFiS

ROSS_DiFiS

Posted 17 August 2012 - 13:54

airplanes without pilots? static targets?

incredible tracers?

#80 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 17 August 2012 - 14:11

Hehe, yeah static Camels. I came across this model, which actually used the RoF skin as texture: http://www.turbosqui...x.cfm/ID/516387" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.turbosqui...m/FullPreview/I … /ID/516387

As you can see one of the problems is the simple damage model, the other is the lack of specular / reflective lighting, but I'm surprised that it still looks quite believable (with a 512x texture). However, the 3d model has too many polys for a static object (around 7000).

Note: First Camel is a "real" aircraft.

Attached File  dfw_attacking_camels03.jpg   325.3KB   1351 downloads

Attached File  dfw_attacking_camels02.jpg   226.97KB   1353 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users