• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#1 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV USA

Posted 06 August 2012 - 23:52

Dear Pilots,

We know many of you have expressed interest in adding new static scenery objects to the ROF landcape. This could be new buildings, hangars, factories, bunkers or anything else that can be imagined as scenery. We do not have the time or resources to spend the precious man-hours needed to develop the kind of detail and specialty objecs some of you want to see. So, we have given the power to you or at least tried to. You will need to work in 3DStudio Max 8.

To assist you, we have written a short document that explains how you can make and add custom scenery objects into ROF. If a talented person or a talented team of ROF fans masters this process a lot of new scenery could possibly end up being available to ROF mission makers. To properly use new unofficial scenery you will need to fly in Mods On mode, but if we see some stellar scenery models that don't cause problems for the ROF engine we may (no promises) accept them as official objects. However, we are a long way from that, but this SDK for Buildings and Blocks is a first step.

ROF Buildings and Blocks SDK Document and Examples

We have tried to make this information as easy to understand as possible. Some of you will have questions, but we may not be able to answer you due to our own busy schedule. We hope that our document and a little trial and error will quickly educate those talented enough to build new scenery objects. We also cannot predict with total accuracy the overall impact or complications that may arise from too many new scenery objects on a map at one time. Building and testing new objects in Mods On mode is a great way to find out the limits of what can be done. We highly reccomend creating Blocks aka "Quartals" to add more than one object at a time. Blocks are more effecient and better for performance.

Our long-term wish, if we have one from this SDK, is that a cadre of talented ROF fans will form a team and work on a coordinated project to improve ROF scenery. Assuming the community decides this is what they want to try. A coordinated effort would minimize confusion and prevent competing projects. If you could combine some new objects with some of the recent work being done elsewhere on the forum with existing scenery obejcts, roads, railways and substrates, some really cool scenery could be made for the existing map. But we will leave this up to the community to try if they so wish.

We make no promises that we will accept new scenery objects as official. Please do not badger us with this request if you like something that was made. We have provided the Mods On mode fors situations like this, but we will watch to see what, if anything is made.

We hope you find this Buildings and Blocks SDK useful and open up ROF scenery a bit more to the ROF community.

Sincerely,
The ROF Team

#2 -bbob

-bbob

Posted 07 August 2012 - 00:28

Awesome documentation/tutorial.

#3 Gadfly21

Gadfly21

Posted 07 August 2012 - 00:30

Super! Thank you very much!

#4 zachanscom

zachanscom

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:33

thank you very much. :S!:

#5 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:58

S! Thank you

#6 Rots5

Rots5

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:10

Awesome, perhaps a group of talented persons will get together and recreate Paris for the ROF map.

#7 -bbob

-bbob

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:40

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that the biggest reason why we dont have Paris is due to performance concerns, not the lack of unique objects.

I seem to recall Jason mentioning that he himself would love to see Paris ingame one day.

#8 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:46

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that the biggest reason why we dont have Paris is due to performance concerns, not the lack of unique objects.

I seem to recall Jason mentioning that he himself would love to see Paris ingame one day.

Correct!
Put 10 Lille cities together and see the result :)

#9 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:51

Paris… Never been to Paris :)

I believe there are a lot of smaller things to make before attempting something that big (especially if latter won't work at all).
What about adding more diversity to countryside, or some fortifications, or additional hangars/tents to be placed near airfields?

#10 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:58

Additional static planes? :mrgreen: :P
(even in repair!)

#11 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:11

Techincally it should be possible to model a static plane as a "building". It will have a collision box and even might be destroyed by strafing or bombing.

In practice I believe it is still a lot of work to make a model that won't look too bad near actual ROF planes.

#12 =III=Flav

=III=Flav

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:13

Excellent! NOW WORK!

#13 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:15

Wonderful news!

If anyone is interested in trying, here is a list I mad earlier of some of the objects I find interesting/ useful for use in missions:

Landmarks:

-Abbey church ruin near Mont St Eloi ( http://www.roydenhistory.co.uk/farndon/warmemorial/soldiers/weaver_james/james_weaver.htm , http://guy.joly1.free.fr/histoire_abbaye_du_mont_saint_eloi.html )
-generic Castle / Church ruin
-Fort Douaumont near Verdun ( http://www.forumeerstewereldoorlog.nl/wiki/index.php/Fort_Douaumont )
-generic Fortress building

Towns & Villages:

-Some more house blocks
-Single houses (in the ME you can only select groups of houses)
-Single farm houses & barns
-Water towers! (see background here: http://www.earlyaero...a4.Freiburg.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.earlyaero...es.com/images/a … eiburg.jpg) and in Valenciennes: http://www.flickr.co...ster/306807446/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.flickr.co...ster/306807446/
-generic mansions (to be used as HQ) (http://www.jpmoser.com/chateaudecourcelles.html
, http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fichier:Ch%C3%A2teau_de_Courcelles-sous-Moyencourt.jpg )

Airfield objects:
-clustered set of crates
-clustered set of oil drums
-Single hangar / tent hangar (In the ME you can now only select groups of hangars!)
-Operation room
-Markers for on the ground to indicate wind direction
-How about some trees/clusters of trees?
-Balloon sheds (http://ypres1917.3.f...-1209117137.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://ypres1917.3.f...er.com/uploads/ … 117137.jpg)

Front objects:
-earth walls/ditches (the front lines are so flat atm! http://www.worldwar1.com/tlbtw.htm
-Long barb wire objects (current ones are much too small)
-Bunkers (current ones are MG's and always need an entity, eating up resources!)
-more gun emplacements
-stacks of sandbags, different layouts
-trench railway? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trench_railways)

Ground troops: (I'm hoping some sort of static, yet animated objects)
-Dug in infantry (how??)
-Encamped infantry
-Cavelry
-Horses
-Carts

My focus would be to add some more static objects, both big and small to be used in either the scenery templates and/or in missions. I'm just doing a brain dump here; it can be organized later. If we agree on the list with things to do someone can just pick anything from the list and try to make it. For anyone new to 3d modelling it will be much easier to start with a barn or tent than a vehicle or flak gun.

A tip: RoF 3d engine is optimized so that only x number of the same objects are drawn (and also a total number I guess). I once created a mockup-Paris by copying the current city of Reims to the Paris location a couple of times. When I flew over it, you would see whole blocks of houses pop in /out all the time. This is why it is important to group objects together as much as possible so they will count as one block.

#14 -bbob

-bbob

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:19

Nice list Vander, thanks!

(already have something cooking :mrgreen: )

Additional static planes?
(even in repair!)

The only problem with doing that is that the damage effect is very different, which would make it look rather silly next to an actual airplane. :P

A big poof of smoke revealing destroyed plane that looks exactly the same every time. This would especially look comical if you were to strafe it.

So even with the best of efforts, I think you would find yourself at least mildly disappointed.

Besides, there is a lot of man hours tucked away in an aircraft model. I wouldn't wanna make one just to put it on the ground, lol.

#15 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:25

Good list!
You should post it in "Map Making & Models" section as a new topic so it won't be lost here.

I'm afraid animations are not yet possible - they aren't covered in this SDK at all and most likely will require updates to the game engine. Though I can't be sure.

BTW, I was flying on Syndergarten server at about 2km over northern part of Lille and also noticed some blocks pop in/out below me. Actually this was the first time I've seen this effect.

Added
A big poof of smoke revealing destroyed plane that looks exactly the same every time. This would especially look comical if you were to strafe it.
Exactly. Just like in the first Red Baron game - every plane was destroyed with an explosion and upper wing collapse :)

Added one more time
Interesting points in the list about ditches and trenches that are below the ground level. This is something that is really needed but so far I'm not sure if possible.
The ability to taxi a landed plane along and across the trenches is immersion killing.

#16 -bbob

-bbob

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:35

@animations: check debug info, will try to mess around with it at some point.

#17 ROSS_DiFiS

ROSS_DiFiS

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:48

DLL's dont work whith 3DMax-64 :(

#18 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:03

Привет, DiFiS :)

I'm not an expert in 3ds Max but just as I understand it: while plug-ins may work with versions of 3ds Max other than 8th (although there are no guarantees) they will absolutely not work in any x64 version. Windows just doesn't support using x86 dlls from x64 processes (and vice versa).

#19 Laser

Laser

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:00

Wow, higher state of awesomeness!!! This is great, the modding gates are opened.

To add to the list of possible objects: telegraph poles.

—-

( So, anyone for realistic ww1-style racing/aerobatic objects, e.g. pylons? )

#20 MarcoRossolini

MarcoRossolini
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:13

This should be good…

#21 MarcoRossolini

MarcoRossolini
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:16

Damn… I was getting all excited and then I realised I needed $3000 dollars for it, bah humbug lol.
I'll be leaving this to the professionals.

#22 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:20

Water towers is a great idea Vander! Furthermore, i believe each town got one in WW1!
Few big villages too, but not regular ones.

Some 1914 water towers:

But some towns used unusuals (1905):

#23 Riemann73

Riemann73

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:57

I have no clue about how to use this SDK, however I want to thank Jason and the entire 777 crew (as well as the guy who did the document) for this tremendous boost. I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of higly skilled guys ready to improve the ROF world.

Day after day ROF become, even more, THE sim.

May I add to the Vander's list the armoured trains ? Austria-Hungary and Italy fielded a lot of armoured trains in World War I.

#24 Erik_Flyer

Erik_Flyer

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:17

Can I use this plugin also in 3DS Max 2010 or higher?

#25 IM.LOFT

IM.LOFT

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:19

Can I use this plugin also in 3DS Max 2010 or higher?

No, only 8

#26 Erik_Flyer

Erik_Flyer

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:27

That's just pity. :(
I don't can get 3DS Max 8 anymore by Autodesk. I know how to model in 3DS max 2010 or higher, so no models of me for ROF. :(
What's the reason that the plugin doesn't work in 2010? It's outdated?

#27 IM.LOFT

IM.LOFT

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:37

I don't can get 3DS Max 8 anymore by Autodesk. I know how to model in 3DS max 2010 or higher, so no models of me for ROF. :(

I understand. But game developing not just 3D art, a lot of tech reasons and tech restrictions. So please, don`t need to explain us why situation not ideal, we know. Now Max8 the only way.

#28 Erik_Flyer

Erik_Flyer

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:44

Oke I understand.

#29 SYN_MrWolf

SYN_MrWolf

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:51

(even in repair!)

The only problem with doing that is that the damage effect is very different, which would make it look rather silly next to an actual airplane. :P

Tho not being able to do it is worse I think. People also will get used to it and enjoy the possibillitie.

#30 zachanscom

zachanscom

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:13

Wow, higher state of awesomeness!!! This is great, the modding gates are opened.

To add to the list of possible objects: telegraph poles.

—-

( So, anyone for realistic ww1-style racing/aerobatic objects, e.g. pylons? )

he has been made:

#31 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:21

zachanscom, that's an old picture from Russian forums.
Someone had made it a couple of years back but we don't have source or MGM files. And nobody knows how to contact the author.

#32 -bbob

-bbob

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:23

Pylon coming up :3

(even in repair!)

Tho not being able to do it is worse I think. People also will get used to it and enjoy the possibillitie.

Oh, I am not at all badgering the possibilities. In fact I have now stayed up all night tinkering with this.

I was just providing my highly subjective feedback on that particular suggestion. :D

#33 Murilo_Specht

Murilo_Specht

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:24

This is exciting! Can't wait to see what you guys are cooking up!

#34 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:37

This SDK is great news and a step in the right direction! If I may add to the list the Zeppelin hangars, and maybe a very simple static zeppelin target.

I understand. But game developing not just 3D art, a lot of tech reasons and tech restrictions. So please, don`t need to explain us why situation not ideal, we know. Now Max8 the only way.

Sure there may be technical reasons for porting objects into games via 3DSMax8, but a 3D mesh is a 3D mesh, and many of the objects talked about are going to be pretty simple (crates, oil drums, etc…), so as long as an object file created in another program passes through Max at the end, then I would think it should be fine for RoF.

But I defer to expert Max opinions, as I only have Cinema4D and other 3D programs. Blender and Wings3D are available free of course and export to a variety of file types that Max can import.

#35 Laser

Laser

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:39

The only "problem" is that you would need to use that export plugin which only works in 3dmax8. Perhaps in time some tutorials will appear, in which one works into a free 3d program (Blender, Wings 3d etc.), and then passes the results to one guy who has a licensed 3d Max 8, which can export the model in proper RoF format.

#36 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:59

The only "problem" is that you would need to use that export plugin which only works in 3dmax8. Perhaps in time some tutorials will appear, in which one works into a free 3d program (Blender, Wings 3d etc.), and then passes the results to one guy who has a licensed 3d Max 8, which can export the model in proper RoF format.
Umm, that is what I meant, work in another program available to you, pass file along to someone with Max for export into RoF. Apologies if that wasn't obvious.

#37 ROSS_DiFiS

ROSS_DiFiS

Posted 07 August 2012 - 13:59

WOW!!!!
my first simple test is true!

"one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." :D :S!:

Attached Files

#38 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 07 August 2012 - 14:09

:D nice :D

Only Wings3D here though. But maybe export-import work, we'll see.

#39 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 07 August 2012 - 14:13

Here is an old post that I came across: Re: 3D Objects Rules and Limitations

It tells that objects have to be converted into editable poly before exporting the scene as MGM. I personally have no idea what it is, but such info may be useful :)

#40 Keks_pilot

Keks_pilot

Posted 07 August 2012 - 17:23

Интерессно.. А все помещённые обекты будут иметь какие-либо свойства? Можно-ли об них разбиться? Или они будут проницаемыми?

WOW!!!!
my first simple test is true!

"one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." :D :S!:

Почему тройка на тени? :) Это шутка? :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users