Photo
- - - - -

Map making question for the misson editor

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ER_O_v._Kessler

ER_O_v._Kessler

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:15

Hi Friends of the virtual sky. I try to make a historic singleplayer-map , my first one.
theme are several missions with jasta 12 and their opponents in september 1917 .. aera is the location from douai to cambrai- st. quentin- laon to toulis. when i open the missioneditor i see a big map with a lot of squares..
is this the full game-map of rof? if yes, can anyone give me a tip how to locate the areas i need in the mapsquares?
please only helpful comments and no comments of "talking gurus which think they are full respected" ;)

maybe there some professional mapmakers here, they are interested also and we start this idea together. than leave me a pm..
:S!: :S!:

Spandau.. What else ?? :icon_mad:

#2 WWSittingduck

WWSittingduck

Posted 30 July 2012 - 14:44

When you open up Mission editor, it is just the terrain, no objects.

To put the objects down, you have to add the Base_trunc, and I belive the other is something like nobase_trunc. But these 2 files put EVERYTHING on the map, and all this stuff kills a mission in MP.

one member of our group (Ewar) took the entire map, and cut it up into overlapping sections.

So if you want a mission that is taking place in a specific location, you locate the map that covers that location. If I open the map2.png, I can see it covers Arras, Lens, Cambrai, Amiens, etc.

If that was the area I wanted my mission in, I would open up his Map2.mission in Mission Editor, and use that as my starting point. Notice that these maps are in "single" player mode in your mission editor, so if you wanted this to also be a Multiplayer mission, all you would need to do there is change it to either coop (which sucks) or a dogfight mission (much better).

Even with the trimmed down maps he has made, there is still alot of stuff here. Does not hurt to delete all the objects on the map that you know are going to be well outside of the area your mission will actually get flown in.

The file can be found here. It includes all the missions, a map for each mission, and the overall map I posted here. Ewar did a great job on this.

http://bhah.homeip.net:192/Group%20Files/Ewar/Maps/

Old Fokkers Squad

#3 ER_O_v._Kessler

ER_O_v._Kessler

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:50

sittingduck, thnx a lot for this explanation . without this i think i would sitting in front of my pc with a big questionmark over my head the next years… yout explanation answers a lot of questions i had..
on that way a question to the developers: isnt it possible to create a mission editor in multilanguage ? think it would be much easier for all, if the editor is made to choose it the spoken language.. just an idea..

Spandau.. What else ?? :icon_mad:

#4 LennieL

LennieL

Posted 17 December 2018 - 00:59

I am just getting into editing missions and am interested in using the maps mentioned in this thread.

How do I go about putting these maps into the Missions data so that I can find them in Editor and use them on missions.  Thanks.

#5 J2_SteveF

J2_SteveF
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 04 January 2019 - 13:56

You can put these anywhere, just browse to the mission file for the map you want

sig.png

#6 LennieL

LennieL

Posted 04 January 2019 - 16:53

Thanks Steve.

When I do that I get varying results.  When I open the Map 1 Mission, how do I go about placing the scenery (buildings, airfields, etc.) on the map.  In other words, what do I "Import from File"?

#7 J2_SteveF

J2_SteveF
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 04 January 2019 - 17:35

I'm not at my Game PC at the moment, but did look through one of the mission files and can see they are already populated with airfields, villages etc.

Wondering why you can't see them

Have you got any filters on in the mission editor

sig.png

#8 LennieL

LennieL

Posted 05 January 2019 - 15:40

Thanks again, Steve.

It would appear that I was overthinking this, and I was trying to "adjust" the maps I opened with the menu choices over on the left and ended up with my varying but largely unsuccessful results.  Now that I've opened one right up that I hadn't screwed with yet things looked great.  I then went in and found msnbin files associated with the ones I'd tried before and when I deleted those files I was able to get them all to work right.

Another question.  I've seen Bob Vanderstok's great tutorials.  Are there any other tips or tricks I should know about that will help me create my single player missions?

#9 J2_SteveF

J2_SteveF
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 05 January 2019 - 21:37

Vanders tutorials are great and the mission making forum here has some old info/tips buried in the threads

sig.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users