Photo
- - - - -

Ambient AAA remover

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 MattM

MattM

Posted 16 July 2012 - 15:14

I read that some people want to have a mod that disables the ambient AAA/Flak that you can see over no-mans-land.

This mod does just that. Extract the .zip file into your Rise of Flight folder.

If you want to get rid of the ground-explosions aswell, open the staticexplosions.txt file and delete the entry from [Emitter] to the first [end].

This only works in mods-on mode, obviously.

Attached Files

#2 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 16 July 2012 - 15:22

Whoo, big Thanks, will try it this evening!

#3 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 16 July 2012 - 17:11

Please…PLEASE give us a checkbox to use it mods off too. It's very annoying and misleading ot see random flakbursts!

PS: Thanks Matt! :D

#4 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 16 July 2012 - 17:16

I read that some people want to have a mod that disables the ambient AAA/Flak that you can see over no-mans-land.

This mod does just that. Extract the .zip file into your Rise of Flight folder.

If you want to get rid of the ground-explosions aswell, open the staticexplosions.txt file and delete the entry from [Emitter] to the first [end].

This only works in mods-on mode, obviously.

Oh, this is awesome! 8-) It would be great to eliminate ambient FLAK, in the next official ROF patch, hint, hint. ;) Thank you, very much so! :D :S!: MJ

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#5 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 16 July 2012 - 17:29

Very cool! Thanks for this. I can't try it out now as we are on vacation, but will give it a go at the end of the week.

This is something I've wanted for a long, long time. :S!:

#6 SJK

SJK

Posted 16 July 2012 - 20:57

Wow, thanks!

#7 BuddyWoof

BuddyWoof

Posted 16 July 2012 - 21:36

Yes ambient flak where there are no planes is a waste of CPU and GPU resources……hope it's removed (along with lens flare)

#8 MattM

MattM

Posted 16 July 2012 - 22:49

Didn't realize lens flare was still in, but then i rarely take 3rd person screenshots. Hm, maybe something for a different mod.

#9 RAF74_Winger

RAF74_Winger

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:13

Thanks Matt,

Hope 777 can include this as an option in Mods off.

W.

#10 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:20

Wow, thanks Matt! I'm so glad someone has finally done this! :S!:

Can I put this in the next edition of the mod compilation, e.g. "Mattm's no-ambient flak?"

#11 MattM

MattM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:39

Sure, feel free to do that.

#12 SYN_Kollwitz

SYN_Kollwitz

Posted 17 July 2012 - 16:33

Nice work Matt!

Hopefully 777 finds the time to integrate it into the sim mods off :)

#13 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 17 July 2012 - 16:36

Nice work Matt!

+1 I would love to see MattM's work integrated into the mods off end, so we can enjoy this on The Syndicate. :S!: MJ

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#14 RAF74_Winger

RAF74_Winger

Posted 17 July 2012 - 22:35

I believe this is a client-side change. Possibly the best of both worlds then - those who want the ambient flak can have it, those who don't can switch it off. Wonderful.

W.

#15 Murilo_Specht

Murilo_Specht

Posted 18 July 2012 - 14:48

I agree with the removal of ambient flak, but I think ambient artillery should stay, to at least give some life (or death) to no man's land…

#16 BuddyWoof

BuddyWoof

Posted 18 July 2012 - 18:49

Agree on artillery

#17 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 18 July 2012 - 21:13

I don't think artillery has been removed by matt's mod. Stay calm, people.

#18 BuddyWoof

BuddyWoof

Posted 19 July 2012 - 00:15

Yes and nobody said that.

#19 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:22

Great stuff, that flak is annoying as hell, I mean, what's the point? I like the arty bursts though so please don't take them out!

#20 alain147

alain147

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:48

Pourquoi supprimer la flak,pas réel sans!

#21 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:32

Pourquoi supprimer la flak,pas réel sans!

Ce mod supprime pas le DCA. Par contre, en RoF y a des explosions DCA qui sont pas réelles, elles sont pas dangeureux, c'est juste pour "l'atmosphére" , un effet visuel. Et ca, la plupart des gens trouve chiant, parce que normalement les "puffs" DCA doivent signaler la proximité d'une avion.

Donc le DCA réel, ca reste, mais y aura pas d'explosions "random".

#22 elephant

elephant

Posted 19 July 2012 - 13:23

That's GREAT, thanks! :D

#23 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 19 July 2012 - 15:31

Two posts on the previous page indicate that people thought it might be removed. Good to know the artillery isn't impacted by the mod.

I agree with the removal of ambient flak, but I think ambient artillery should stay, to at least give some life (or death) to no man's land…
Great stuff, that flak is annoying as hell, I mean, what's the point? I like the arty bursts though so please don't take them out!

#24 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 19 July 2012 - 16:13

I think it's hilarious that I have such an effect on some people… :S!:

#25 BuddyWoof

BuddyWoof

Posted 19 July 2012 - 19:15

Two posts on the previous page indicate that people thought it might be removed. Good to know the artillery isn't impacted by the mod.

Pretty certain we were talking in reference to if 777 decides to remove ambient flak not the mod. At least I was.

#26 BuddyWoof

BuddyWoof

Posted 19 July 2012 - 19:20

I think it's hilarious that I have such an effect on some people… :S!:

You said it. The common denominator is you so it must be you maybe?

#27 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 19 July 2012 - 20:41

Pretty certain we were talking in reference to if 777 decides to remove ambient flak not the mod. At least I was.
Ah, that explains your original comment, though not the snarkiness of it. The clarification was helpful and I, at least, thought the concerns were about the mod, not future 777 changes to the game.

#28 BuddyWoof

BuddyWoof

Posted 19 July 2012 - 23:07

Just responding to another snarky comment is all. I'm glad it helped you understand.

#29 Fabioccio

Fabioccio

Posted 19 July 2012 - 23:30

Tried this mod. Works fine. Hope to see it in "mods off" mode.
Thanks Matt.

#30 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 20 July 2012 - 17:33

No doubt ambient flak is distracting and draws your attention falsely, and for that reason it is annoying.
First off, I have no issue with what people do with their own install, and am all for people tweaking their game the way they want it to play.

Now, just being Devil's advocate here (so don't flame me unnecessarily, b/c you'll just look the fool now that I've warned you…), but maybe in the context of RoF being a 'game' that simulates WWI aerial combat it might serve a 'game' purpose.

It does occupy one's attention when flying near the front, you are on the edge of your seat checking out each burst for a contact. It keeps your awareness level up, and serves to heighten your anticipation. I think it keeps the overall excitement going for new players perhaps, because most offline missions are filled with just travel time.

Yes ambient flak becomes annoying, and most of us most of the time recognize those bursts for what they are. For me I'm undecided whether to remove it or not though. To each his own.

Thank you Matt for figuring this out and providing the mod.

#31 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 20 July 2012 - 19:12

Now, just being Devil's advocate here (so don't flame me unnecessarily, b/c you'll just look the fool now that I've warned you…), but maybe in the context of RoF being a 'game' that simulates WWI aerial combat it might serve a 'game' purpose.

It does occupy one's attention when flying near the front, you are on the edge of your seat checking out each burst for a contact. It keeps your awareness level up, and serves to heighten your anticipation. I think it keeps the overall excitement going for new players perhaps, because most offline missions are filled with just travel time.
Just to play Devil's advocate with your idea, would it then heighten the overall tension/edginess if there were ambient flak all over the map – not just over NML?

For me, the next step after removing ambient flak would be to have AI flak logic that would signal you when enemies were about. A friendly burst near you to get your attention, then bursts near the enemy to indicate their location and number. And the sophistication could be increased by doing that only in times and locations where flak batteries were historically deployed.

#32 Pierrepoint

Pierrepoint

Posted 20 July 2012 - 20:39

Can't you disable AAA from the options screen?

#33 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 20 July 2012 - 20:48

Not the ambient AA over NML. That is there just for atmosphere. In QMB, you can disable AA, which means it will not generate AA units for you to target.

#34 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 20 July 2012 - 22:36

Certainly I agree arjisme, realistic flak ALL over the map would be nirvana for me, and something I've argued, nee pleaded for, in every WWI sim I've flown.

I do like the flak mod (creator's name has not registered, but thank you…) that Syndicate is using in some of their latest missions, where the bursts appear in strings along the flight path. You can almost see in your mind's-eye the archie gunners madly cranking the gun's traverse while the loaders shove shell-after-shell into the breech…

#35 MattM

MattM

Posted 22 July 2012 - 20:32

Talking about that other flak mod, all that does, is make the guns reload 10 times faster (0.6 seconds instead of 6 seconds). That's it.

It basically allows you to use one gun to simulate as 10 guns and thus save ressources, by only having one vehicle entity on the map for that. Of course, if that one gun then gets destroyed (assuming it's not invulnerable), it's a huge loss and all of the sudden, most of the AAA is down.

Regardless, i don't think ambient AAA is needed. There are checkzones and complex triggers which work for singleplayer and multiplayer and can spawn real AAA when the player or the players are nearby. It's not like they need to be spread all over the map, just having a few batteries should be enough.

#36 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:31

What's up with your sig there Bandy? Reminds me of something I saw once at a party when they told me I really shouldn't drink any more absinthe.

#37 Lanzfeld

Lanzfeld

Posted 25 September 2012 - 16:27

OMG this is great! Thank you and 777 please make this a "mods off" option.

#38 arthursmedley

arthursmedley

Posted 25 September 2012 - 17:28

Nice work Matt!

+1 I would love to see MattM's work integrated into the mods off end, so we can enjoy this on The Syndicate. :S!: MJ

Oh yes please! :S!:

#39 B.O.B.

B.O.B.

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:59

Nice work Matt!

Oh yes please! :S!:

+1 to that idea :) :S!:

#40 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:58

What's up with your sig there Bandy? Reminds me of something I saw once at a party when they told me I really shouldn't drink any more absinthe.

Just returned to this thread; sorry for late reply to your question.
My sig is a composite image from a Smithsonian Air & Space article on triplane inefficiency. See in the right image how the middle wing disrupts the pressure differentials of the top and bottom wings?

The centre image is a Camel and displays how lift (pressure differential) is compromised at the wing tips as it spills over the side.

You can look at the text here www.airspacemag.com but the pictures are only in the hard copy of the zine, as far as I know.

Did you have the real absinthe, or just the cheap export stuff? You can't get the real thing in N. America, legally, or so I've heard. Correct me if wrong. Wanna send me a bottle? :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users