Photo
- - - - -

scout pilot skin for germany w/ wip new model

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 zachanscom

zachanscom

Posted 12 July 2012 - 18:48

requires mod on. simply extract or place extracted contents into C:\Program Files\Rise of Flight\data\graphics

http://www.mediafire...cadh63ozva1t424" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mediafire...cadh63ozva1t424

#2 LeBigTed

LeBigTed

Posted 12 July 2012 - 19:51

I voted Yes, as it looks great ;o)

Nice work !!! :S!:

Btw, do you think it would be possible to make the skin of the pilot's face a little bit stronger. We often see in WWI films, oil on the pilot face..

Ted ;o)

#3 elephant

elephant

Posted 12 July 2012 - 21:03

German pilots with captured flying gear…
Quite a fashion in the Luftstreitkräfte… ;)

Thanks but, I'll stick with mine, (default), more typical German outfit selection…

This is nothing but one of the Entente (supposed to depict British) gunners-observers, I made last year, to be used as default ones. :roll:

:S!:

#4 zachanscom

zachanscom

Posted 12 July 2012 - 23:05

no it's not. i changed the texture to match the darker tan of the german suits. also the glove color is different.

edit: i've attached a file that slightly increases the fps of the pilot animation so that it's smoother. insert into the pilot_g1 folder

Attached Files

#5 elephant

elephant

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:22

The German flight combination cannot be depicted effectively on the current german scout pilot 3d,
because of the nature of the collar.

No visible buttons and the collar fastening is on the right side. :roll:
I'll try the adjusted animation, though… ;)

#6 zachanscom

zachanscom

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:29

ok, i make it.

#7 catchov

catchov

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:48

Good point about the collars elephant. ;)

But where do you get all these fabulous photographs from? Have you a private collection gathered tirelessly over many years from all corners of the globe?

BTW, the guy on the left in your last photograph is very short! Were there no height restrictions for German aero-models in those days? :lol:

#8 zachanscom

zachanscom

Posted 13 July 2012 - 19:56

this should look pretty good after i put in the belt and normal map

#9 elephant

elephant

Posted 13 July 2012 - 22:13

Oh, very nice, zachanscom! :D
I think the head is still small and the guy looks like he's 190 cm.
The average German male's height for the period was 170 cm.
I made a couple of tiny adjustments by enlarging the head a bit, while shortening the legs
from the knee down and I think that the proportions now are more natural.
Check out how they compare to the taller guy from the photo I posted above:

Attached File  proportion adjustments.jpg   117.98KB   1642 downloads

If you need any sort of info on flight gear like: leather caps, crash helmets, goggles I'll be happy to provide reference material.

#10 zachanscom

zachanscom

Posted 13 July 2012 - 23:52

that does look better, i have shortened the legs/hips. and it would be great if you can post some helmet and goggle pictures, thanks.

#11 -bbob

-bbob

Posted 14 July 2012 - 14:25

this should look pretty good after i put in the belt and normal map

"add the normal map"? Don't you have a high poly to bake from? Painted on normals is a cop-out and doesn't give you half of what those things can do for you.

Besides, whats your tri-count? Just curious.

#12 zachanscom

zachanscom

Posted 14 July 2012 - 17:27

you can make the high poly using subdivider

don't know, it's 3k faces.

#13 -bbob

-bbob

Posted 14 July 2012 - 17:48

when I say high poly, I mean a detailed model that you extract information from, example from a project I need to revive. (1st person shooter detail, not appropriate for rof for obvious reasons.):

Make a high detail sculpt with details appropriate for you final texture resolution, in this case 1024:

Retopologize and bake texture information:

Ambient occlusion baked into the low-poly:

3000 quads is 6000 tris, and is definitely too high poly for ROF. Current models look like they clock in at 2500 tris at most and with a 256 map, which means you need to be creative about your UVW's. Could you show those, by the way?

#14 zachanscom

zachanscom

Posted 14 July 2012 - 18:33

after subdivide i sculpt it, then i use the height map for revised textures, followed by normal map.

#15 -bbob

-bbob

Posted 14 July 2012 - 18:44

Its much better to do the sculpt first and then retopo, you want to make sure that your mesh is a true reflection of the high detail mesh.

Also, see if you can mirror and stack some of those UV tiles. Both pant legs do not need unique textures. And you still need to optimize it quite a bit for it to run in ROF without an FPS impact. Aim for 2500tri-ish.

Up on the arm you also have some overlapping geometry, a nasty double on the front shoulder. (look for the X) There is also 3 tris missing on his torso that aren't attatched to his "trousers".

#16 zachanscom

zachanscom

Posted 14 July 2012 - 23:32

edit: fixed. i'm using the model in sculptris:

#17 -bbob

-bbob

Posted 15 July 2012 - 17:16

Why are you making every limb unique? Remember you gotta squeeze all this into a 256.

Looks decent enough except for the crotch/arms. Arms are more blobby than foldy, think about tension points and study reference.

#18 zachanscom

zachanscom

Posted 15 July 2012 - 18:56

what's 256? do you mean the texture size? i thought it was 1024.

i don't know about limbs, they show up alright when i bake them, but for the legs i need them to be unique because of the flap

yes i will fix the arm, they look bubbly.

#19 -bbob

-bbob

Posted 15 July 2012 - 20:56

1024 for the pilot? I doubt it.

If you mirror arms and legs, using the same texture for both sides you save texture space..

#20 N28_Uberplane

N28_Uberplane

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:39

I love listening to technical jargon…

=IRFC=

#21 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:50

No wonder Germany lost the war, what with their pilots getting baked beforehand… :|

#22 zachanscom

zachanscom

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:39

elephant took too long and i couldn't wait. hopefully the hat is authentic :)

#23 realCallahan

realCallahan

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:45

It looks good m8! :D

#24 elephant

elephant

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:31

Sorry, for the delay…
The helmet is just missing the ear flaps and the top loop, otherwise it's OK.
Have a look here for further details:

some details on the chim strap and the characteristic German buckle type:

Not to forget the typical German crash helmet, so very popular among the two seater and bomber crews particularly…
Scout pilots would wear those too, but not in such numbers as two seaters and bombers.
The crash helmet could be worn over the normal leather cap or alone, preferably, over balaclava helmet.

About flight goggles the most typical was of the cat eyes shape as it shows on the first pic,
(in many variations).

The second most common German type was the squared ones:

If any detail is not clarified please feel free to ask…

PS: I confirm that the current pilot skin textures are 1024
My original German pilot skins also have all this historical details for the helmet and goggles already taken under consideration, thus could be used as reference as well.

#25 -bbob

-bbob

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:43

1024? Really?

They don't look it :/

#26 zachanscom

zachanscom

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:01

thanks elephant. what is function of the top loop?

#27 elephant

elephant

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:41

To fasten a silk streamer. (identification form for flight leaders).
The scarves we have now are quite unhistoric.

#28 realCallahan

realCallahan

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:37

-Would be great if you can select the pilot like in IL2-

#29 242Sqn_Wolf

242Sqn_Wolf

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:55

And put our own ugly mug in it.

#30 realCallahan

realCallahan

Posted 16 July 2012 - 14:28

And put our own ugly mug in it.
:lol:
yea… but we must remmeber its a flight sim, not Sims3

#31 zachanscom

zachanscom

Posted 16 July 2012 - 21:25

what color was the german flight suit anyway? i've seen difference sources claim both orange/tan and gull grey. which is it exactly?

also, the point of ambient occlusion is to lay it on top of the diffuse texture right? or is there some other process involved?

#32 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 16 July 2012 - 21:30

Zack,
Can you take the moustache off of my SPAD pilots? I am a Strawberry Blonde, not a brunette, anyway. I am not really big on the Burt Reynolds look. It is a little too macho, for my tastes. :lol: :S!: MJ

I want a male pilot, but not a too damn manly man pilot! I am a suburban, Social Democrat, preppie type, into vampires, and 1980's new wave music, not the most interesting man in the World, stay thirty guy, from Dos Equis, after all. My pilot should be more Udo Kier metrosexual, than Vin Diesel white cap jock. :D

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#33 redcoat22

redcoat22

Posted 16 July 2012 - 22:04

Great thread! Keep it up.

#34 zachanscom

zachanscom

Posted 16 July 2012 - 22:11

Zack,
Can you take the moustache off of my SPAD pilots? I am a Strawberry Blonde, not a brunette, anyway. I am not really big on the Burt Reynolds look. It is a little too macho, for my tastes. :lol: :S!: MJ

I want a male pilot, but not a too damn manly man pilot! I am a suburban, Social Democrat, preppie type, into vampires, and 1980's new wave music, not the most interesting man in the World, stay thirty guy, from Dos Equis, after all. My pilot should be more Udo Kier metrosexual, than Vin Diesel white cap jock. :D

i've attached the changed file. just replace the texture in the same directory. it also has some grime on his face as suggested before.

Attached Files

#35 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 17 July 2012 - 00:52

Zack,

i've attached the changed file. just replace the texture in the same directory. it also has some grime on his face as suggested before.

I will check it out, tonight! :D Is there a ROF add-on plane you are itching for? :S!: MJ

#36 zachanscom

zachanscom

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:28

thanks for the offer, but not at the moment.

#37 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:08

thanks for the offer, but not at the moment.

Ok, np Zach. BTW, what folder do I put the pilot .dds in? :S!: MJ

#38 zachanscom

zachanscom

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:35

C:\Program Files\Rise of Flight\data\graphics\characters\pilot_g1\textures

if it's not there, just create it. requires mods on.

#39 ER_O_v._Kessler

ER_O_v._Kessler

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:36

German pilots with captured flying gear…
Quite a fashion in the Luftstreitkräfte… ;)

Thanks but, I'll stick with mine, (default), more typical German outfit selection…

This is nothing but one of the Entente (supposed to depict British) gunners-observers, I made last year, to be used as default ones. :roll:

Adolf Ritter v. Tutschek from Jasta 12

Spandau.. What else ?? :icon_mad:

#40 ER_O_v._Kessler

ER_O_v._Kessler

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:41

what color was the german flight suit anyway? i've seen difference sources claim both orange/tan and gull grey. which is it exactly?

also, the point of ambient occlusion is to lay it on top of the diffuse texture right? or is there some other process involved?

Maincolour of this flying suites was a medium grey, i think they look more real with some castor oil sparkles.. i vote yes for this skin, its a great idea and REAL !!! (but i cant understand this st..id id..ts , which vote no without any reason.. )

Spandau.. What else ?? :icon_mad:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users