Photo
- - - - -

[VIDEO] Boom & Zoom basics gameplay tutorial

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 30 June 2012 - 20:18

I think for most people (myself included) turn fighting is what comes most naturally to us. Get on your opponents tail and turn with him until you can line up a shot and shoot him down.

With the introduction of "energy" type fighters, a new tactic was born: "Boom & Zoom". It is a highly effective tactic when used properly. If you are new to WW1 flight sims or you haven't yet tried B&Z tactics, I created a simple video tutorial that shows it in action, complete with some of my own personal tips. I don't claim to be the B&Z "king" or an expert on anything, but if you are looking for the basics of Boom & Zoom fighting, this might help anyone interested in seeing how it actually works.

For my example I chose the Fokker DVIIF against 5 SE5a planes using Random AI skill. I hope you enjoy it.

Boom & Zoom Basics Video Tutorial (4:55) 720HD

Hellshade

#2 Laser

Laser

Posted 30 June 2012 - 20:55

Very nice!

( As John Cleese would say: "Thee PERCH! " )

#3 Pilot_Corto

Pilot_Corto

Posted 30 June 2012 - 21:16

very nice and skillfull video.
thank you.
keep on!!!

#4 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 01 July 2012 - 00:59

Nice video, Hellshade! Cant believe how vicious those double spandaus are now…..

Also, nice to se you stIll around and making vids!

#5 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:21

Great video!

Welcome back HS!
Hopefully you've broken your RoF boycott and are enjoying the weapon mods, cause they sure are fun (especially the n11)!

#6 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:37

Thanks guys.

Broadside, I saw they put out a new patch so I figured I'd give it a whirl. Kudos to the programming team. They did a great job. I still won't be purchasing anything for RoF though. I have my eye on something else that will be coming out but doesn't yet have a release date. The previews look excellent though and I'm very much looking forward to spending a lot of time with it.

#7 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:08

That's too bad. The n11 rockets (not to mention the dual vickers) are great fun!

#8 catchov

catchov

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:21

I'm sorry it's more like a slaughter dressed up as a tutorial as an afterthought whilst reviewing/editing Sir! To take advantage of the AI Se5a like that (as it now performs) should be a war crime Sir! :lol:

A far more interesting and educational example for Bnz rookies would be a lone Se5a victorious against five DVII's Sir! :S!:

#9 J5_Vorlander

J5_Vorlander

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:24

nice Video.

Thank you

#10 Fredgreen

Fredgreen

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:54

My problem is always point 7, patience…. :? I am also not very good in aiming.

A very nice video…..

greetings fredgreen

#11 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:40

I'm sorry it's more like a slaughter dressed up as a tutorial as an afterthought whilst reviewing/editing Sir! To take advantage of the AI Se5a like that (as it now performs) should be a war crime Sir! :lol:

A far more interesting and educational example for Bnz rookies would be a lone Se5a victorious against five DVII's Sir! :S!:

As the title says - it's a Boom & Zoom basics tutorial. So it's trying to show the basics of how to B&Z to beginners using AI opponents. Pitting an SE5a against 5 DVIIfs flown by players would fall under "Advanced tutorial". Wouldn't you agree sir?

Hellshade

#12 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:32

Hello Hellshade,
Way Cool!!! thanks a lot for taking the time to help us noobs.
If you happen to be the one getting Boomed and Zoomed, which is the plight of us noobs I feel,or at least it is where I find myself quite often, what is the best way to get away and possibly turn the tables on the attacker?
I myself just scream a lot and dive for the nearest tree/bell tower/chimney/bridge.
Cheers,
Spag. :)

Bite off more than you can chew.

Then chew like Hell ! ! !

#13 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 01 July 2012 - 13:07

Spag,

I don't claim to be the B&Z king nor the multiplayer king, so there is probably better advice out there than mine. However if someone was diving onto me, I'd probably follow Boelke's advice and climb to face my attacker to try and put them on the defensive.

If my airspeed didn't allow me to point my nose upwards enough, I might try and turn so I was going under the belly of his plane, forcing him to either overshoot or try and rotate around in order to keep me in his sights. Perhaps a Split S move and extend away.

Jinking your plane erratically can also help to throw off his aim and use up some of his bullets, but then you are mostly hoping that he is not a marksman.

Maybe someone else can better answer Spags question?

#14 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 01 July 2012 - 14:24

I could do that against the Mercedes D.VII, but never the D.VIIF.

#15 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:48

Hello Hellshade,
Thanks again.
Your advice is greatly appreciated.
It is amazing and daunting just how much there is to learn.
Without the help of yourself and others like you, RoF would not succeed as well. A lot of noobs would pass it by IMHO.
I would have, had it not been for Requiems videos and the help of others with all the questions I have asked.
Would a training programme be worthwhile? Like, what to learn first, tactics, markmanship,how to land a Dr1, how to attack, how to defend etc. etc. Like a manual on training. They must have had something like that when they trained noobs in the Great War.
Cheers,

#16 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:33

Nice video, but not very helpful, given that you were flying a DVIIF. That's the best plane in game, it can outclimb and outturn, even outrun SE-s at high altitudes. The other way around it's much more challenging ;)

#17 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:17

It's a basic guide and IMHO it's not a bad place to start. The more advanced stuff comes later once you've grasped the general idea, otherwise the beginner goes into info overload. Short memories here.

#18 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud
  • LocationWaleska, Georgia, USA

Posted 02 July 2012 - 14:38

Very Nice …… thanks

G5fCmYF.png

NEW WINGS VIRTUAL FLIGHT TRAINING

"Hardcore Through Passion"

#19 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 02 July 2012 - 22:07

Nice video, but not very helpful, given that you were flying a DVIIF. That's the best plane in game, it can outclimb and outturn, even outrun SE-s at high altitudes. The other way around it's much more challenging ;)

I Posted : Basic Tutorial on B&Z

They Read : The Ultimate Encyclopedia on Advanced B&Z Maneuvers Against On-line Multiplayer Opponents.

Naturally when they saw the video they felt deeply misled.

Hellshade

#20 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 02 July 2012 - 22:12

A great video, Hellshade! What is your gun convergence setting, in this video? :S!: MJ

I have adjusted my guns, from 500 meters to 150 meters, but now I want to know if I should go lower or higher, for my style. You seem to shoot about the same distance I do and you make stuff go bye, bye, quite nicely, Sir! :D

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#21 catchov

catchov

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:32

As the title says - it's a Boom & Zoom basics tutorial. So it's trying to show the basics of how to B&Z to beginners using AI opponents. Pitting an SE5a against 5 DVIIfs flown by players would fall under "Advanced tutorial". Wouldn't you agree sir?

Hellshade

No Sir. With respect, I disagree Sir. On a technicality Sir. I never mentioned multiplay. I was merely suggesting Sir that a BnZ contest (in singleplay QMB) between a lone Se5a and five AI DVIIf's would be a far more invigorating, exciting and educational experience Sir!

The same situation in multiplay would indeed be advanced Sir and I take that on advisement Sir! :S!:

Well done and good luck.

Cheery pip!

#22 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:53

Hellshade

No Sir. With respect, I disagree Sir. On a technicality Sir. I never mentioned multiplay. I was merely suggesting Sir that a BnZ contest (in singleplay QMB) between a lone Se5a and five AI DVIIf's would be a far more invigorating, exciting and educational experience Sir!

The same situation in multiplay would indeed be advanced Sir and I take that on advisement Sir! :S!:

Well done and good luck.

Cheery pip!

I see your point sir, but I will stand by my title as a Boom & Zoom basics gameplay tutorial. It's sole purpose is to show the basics of Boom & Zoom, without any potentially tricky responses from AI or players. That way any new pilots can simply see the basics of B&Z.

Presuming that a new player might decide to try the tactic for themselves, they would have much better luck learning the absolute basics of the tactic using the planes I had chosen for my example than if they reversed them and tried B&Z with an SE5a against even AI flown DVIIFs. Given the DVIIF's ability to outfly the SE5a in most areas, they would spend more time getting shot down from one of the other AI than B&Zing anything. Probably less frustrating and easier to learn when you can practice the basics and learn them, then later start switching up the aircraft to make things more interesting as their skills increase.

By example, if I'm going to learn downhill skiing for the first time, I can learn the basics on the "bunny slope" where things are really not challenging at all. Is the bunny slope representative of most downhill skiing experiences? Nope. But you learn the basics there and then move on to the more challenging stuff as your skills improve.

Hellshade

#23 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:48

That's a fair point, Hellshade, and I didn't mean to diminish the usefulness of your video. :S!: What I meant was: there's no point in BnZ-ing in a DVIIF against SE-s, you can just fly 3 circles around your prey then shot your name into their top wing while picking your nose with one hand :lol:

#24 neuro

neuro

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:54

Good vid and thx for taking the time to try and teach others what you learned.
However, you don't have to always zoom climb. Most of the times, yes. Always, no. Sometimes you may need to extend horizontally instead, and in some cases you may even need to keep on diving.
Same goes for turning into them. Most of the times that's the way to go, but not always

In other words I guess I could say "good video except for overusing the word 'always' in some occasions" :D

#25 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:53

Hello Hellshade,
I tried the basic B&Z with my Dr1 against Neiuport 11 and found it quite hard to get behind them.
However.
I did mangae to B&Z successfully and down one of them. The other disappeared, so maybe I had damaged it as well.
I do not know whether I should have found those planes easy to shoot down or not with a Dr1, but it sure was fun to try out that way of attacking.
Please don't get discourged by others and stop doing those types of vids. They do help noobs, especially ones that are new to sim flying, let alone shooting straight whilst doing it, like me.
Many thanks,

#26 J5_Corsaire

J5_Corsaire

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:02

DR1 is not really a BZ plane and if you call yourself a noob, probably not the easiest plane to start with !

#27 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:16

In other words I guess I could say "good video except for overusing the word 'always' in some occasions" :D

A fair point sir. It's the old oxymoron. "Never use the words 'never' or 'always' because there is always an exception."

:S!:

Spaq - the DR1 is much better at turn fighting, IMHO. Try using DVIIFs and maybe put your opponents on Novice AI. Then start upgrading their AI bit by bit as you get better at it. Then change the type of plane you are flying against. Practice, practice, practice sir.

Hellshade

#28 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:53

DR1 is not really a BZ plane and if you call yourself a noob, probably not the easiest plane to start with !
I call myself a noob because the only thing I can do so far (Feb.'12) with any degree of success in a Dr1 is takeoff!!
I know the Dr1 is one of the hardest to fly, but for some reason I am addicted to trying to master it.
Thanks for your tip about it though.
The same to you Hellshade, thanks, but I am going to keep banging my head against the Dr1's gun support. :? Unless there is a Dr1!anonymus in RoF?
Cheers,

#29 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 03 July 2012 - 13:37

I'll say it again, this video will just teach bad habits to new players that see it. None of what's in this video applies to any of the BnZ planes in the game.

#30 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 03 July 2012 - 21:04

I'll say it again, this video will just teach bad habits to new players that see it. None of what's in this video applies to any of the BnZ planes in the game.

Really? NONE of my pointers are correct? None at all? - so what you are saying is:

You shouldn't have an altitude advantage?
You shouldn't prefer to pick solo targets with no wingman for cover?
You shouldn't keep your speed up so you can zoom climb after the attack?
You shouldn't have accurate gunnery skills?
You shouldn't get behind your target and dive on their 6?
You shouldn't attack the trailing plane if you must dive on a pair?

Since you say NONE of that is true and since you have still failed to post a video or step by step guide of your own, I'll happily summarize Redpiano's method of B&Z based on the fact that EVERYTHING I have said is completely wrong, according to him.

REDPIANO'S BOOM & ZOOM GUIDE

1. Have an altitude disadvantage - that way they won't expect you to dive on them from below. Ingenious!
2. Dive on the largest group of planes you can find - it shows how brave you are and your bullets will be more likely to hit something.
3. Let your speed drop to nothing because zoom climbing, apparently, doesn't require speed to get back up to altitude.
4. Don't worry about accuracy. Just spray and pray. "If God be for us, who can be against us?" and all that stuff.
5. Dive into them head on. You won't be trying to aim anyways so scare them with a good game of "chicken."
6. When diving on a group of planes, pick the lead plane so everyone else in the flight has the easiest possible time of getting their guns on you. Only wimps avoid confrontation.

There you have it folks. Redpiano's guide on how to B&Z, because NONE of what I posted as tips was correct.

Let the success stories roll in…

Hellshade

#31 catchov

catchov

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:17

[REDPIANO'S BOOM & ZOOM GUIDE

1. Have an altitude disadvantage - that way they won't expect you to dive on them from below. Ingenious!
2. Dive on the largest group of planes you can find - it shows how brave you are and your bullets will be more likely to hit something.
3. Let your speed drop to nothing because zoom climbing, apparently, doesn't require speed to get back up to altitude.
4. Don't worry about accuracy. Just spray and pray. "If God be for us, who can be against us?" and all that stuff.
5. Dive into them head on. You won't be trying to aim anyways so scare them with a good game of "chicken."
6. When diving on a group of planes, pick the lead plane so everyone else in the flight has the easiest possible time of getting their guns on you. Only wimps avoid confrontation.

I swear Red's been watching me. :? Is that plagiarism?! :(

#32 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:54

REDPIANO'S BOOM & ZOOM GUIDE

There you have it folks. Redpiano's guide on how to B&Z, because NONE of what I posted as tips was correct.

Let the success stories roll in…

Hellshade

All this would work perfectly well fighting SE5a AI with a D.VIIf..oh wait that's exactly what you show in the video.

#33 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:55

No way Catchov, I coined all this stuff way before you man!

#34 catchov

catchov

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:06

No way Catchov, I coined all this stuff way before you man!

DAMN IT ALL TO HELL!! I knew I should have patented it!

#35 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:27

Seriously,are you guys sure you aren't just werfing?
Cheers,

#36 J5_Spyboy

J5_Spyboy

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:35

Werfing??/ What is that? :S!:

#37 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:57

All this would work perfectly well fighting SE5a AI with a D.VIIf..oh wait that's exactly what you show in the video.

Still waiting for your video tutorial or at least your step by step tips on the proper way to B&Z. You seem to have plenty of time to make completely baseless criticisms against my basic tutorial but not the ability to make actual statements about the way it should be done.

Step up to the plate and provide something better. You just can't do it, can you?

Hellshade

#38 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:05

Werfing??/ What is that? :S!:
There are very few people who know what 'Werfing' means.
But, as you asked so politely, it means Words Endlessly Rolling Forth.
Cheers,

#39 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 04 July 2012 - 13:26

Spag's right. Thank you Spag. My sincere apologies for cluttering the forum. My work is what it is. Those who enjoy it will enjoy it. Those who don't, won't. That's just all there is to it. Thanks bud.

Hellshade

#40 J5_Spyboy

J5_Spyboy

Posted 04 July 2012 - 15:24

Tahnk You Spag…I like that :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users