Photo
- - - - -

Gunner Position / AI mods (Version 1.032 Update)

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#1 Avimimus

Avimimus

Posted 29 June 2012 - 20:00

Hello everyone,

Here is the final release for 1.031. The mods now support JSGME for those that prefer it. Readme files can be found inside of each mod's 'documentation' directory.

All of these mods are independent of each other - For instance, you can install the 'Gunner positions mod' after another gunner AI mod and combine most of their features.

Gunner AI mod 1.032

- A new structure which allows different settings for different types of gun positions (e.g. front gunners and gunners with Becker cannons now behave differently)!

- A new burst firing pattern that improves ammo conservation (and is less predictable at long range, while being very lethal at short ranges).

- Various other tweaks to accuracy, target updating and ranging.

- The F.E.2 gunner uses a version of Gavagai's "Gunners that Fight" mod with further tweaks (reacts at longer ranges, uses longer bursts, but is more vulnerable to gee forces).

Gunner Positions mod 1.032

- More realistic movement rates for the gunner positions. This should also make different types of gunner positions feel different for the player (both using them or attacking them).

- Support for the new aircraft and weapon mods (including a Felixstowe mod that increases the firing arcs for the side guns.

- A GUI correction thanks to the contributions of J.j.! Now in a separate mod to improve compatibility.

- Support has been added for the Sopwith Strutter

Note: This mod should be updated after every patch or you will have to select 'mods off' if you want to use weapons mods for new aircraft. Uninstalling the mod until it is updated will also work.

Flak Mod 1.030/1.031 (version 1.032 update is still in progress)

- This mod lowers the effectiveness of large caliber anti-aircraft cannons against fast / low flying targets. This simulates fine traverse during aiming and difficulty with fusing.

- Land based guns do not fire at low flying targets (where they are likely to hit nearby buildings), but naval guns will still fire near the deck.

- Small caliber machine guns are unaffected (although the 37mm M-Flak has been tweaked to rotate more slowly, but still be fired like a machine gun)

Note: I recommend remove early versions of the Flak mod and installing the 1.030-1.031 version.

- Place the data directory in your Rise of Flight directory (so the files should be in [Rise of Flight]\data\LuaScripts\worldobjects\*.*)
- Remember to select "mods on" in the option menu!

See the readme files for more details.

Let me know what you think,

- Avimimus

Attached Files

#2 Avimimus

Avimimus

Posted 29 June 2012 - 20:00

….

#3 elephant

elephant

Posted 29 June 2012 - 20:11

Thanks, but please I got a bit confused…
What does Loudout Mod do?
and what are the changes to Criquet's AI Mod? Increased fixed gun accuracy only?

#4 Avimimus

Avimimus

Posted 29 June 2012 - 20:37

Yes, it only increases accuracy.

See the readme file for the loadout mod… it is experimental.

#5 AussiePilot

AussiePilot

Posted 29 June 2012 - 23:39

Cheers for your efforts Avimimus,
So we need to remove Gavagai's 1.026 gunner sector limits mod if we are going to put in your gunner position mod?

Does your gunner position mod stop the gunner from shooting through their own fuselage etc? if not, do you think combining your gunner postion mod and Gavagais gunner sector limits mod will be achievable?

Also, Criquets ai mod. Is there any difference anymore between the games default ai dogfight skills and ability since the 1.026 game update and this mod apart from the accuracy changes you made?
It was once said the ai dogfight would be dragged down to tree top level and circle rather quickly. So this mod was made so they would dogfight differently and higher up. But now some people are saying that they dogfight like this now with the mod removed. Do you know of any changes to the default ai dogfight strategies, is this mod even needed anymore?

#6 Avimimus

Avimimus

Posted 30 June 2012 - 00:08

Yes - my mod originally included Gavagai's mod. However, the 1.026 version was redone from scratch with a lot more files to support the weapons mods. I'd just have to copy in the sector limits for each turret and each weapons mod… it is doable.

In any case they are changes to the same files - so you can have only one installed at a given time (you shouldn't have to remove it - the files simply overwrite each other).

Regarding the dogfight AI in general: I don't know about AI changes in 1.026 …I just know that I like higher accuracy. If the default AI is significantly improved - I'd be very happy to use the default. I'm not looking forward into redoing all of the data entries though!

*edit* - I ran some tests: The AI seems to be maintaining altitude - even with the mod!

#7 Avimimus

Avimimus

Posted 30 June 2012 - 19:48

!!Do not install!! Not compatible with the hotfix!

One of the unannounced changes made by the hotfix is that it disables the loadout mod (at least for the player).

I am only leaving the file up to assist in locating the files for uninstallation. Let me know if you have problems.

To get your airplanes working again simply reinstall the loadout mod and then immediately hit "CTRL+Z" and select 'yes' - this should delete the files. Alternatively, you can manually delete all of the files in the 'loadoutmod' zip from your worldobjects directory.

#8 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:06

Can you please make an AI mod that only fixes the AI's gunnery accuracy and not the way they fly. I noticed fighting D.VII's with mods on Ace AI flies like a moron, with mods off they fly quite well but are then snipers.

#9 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 05 July 2012 - 16:07

I'm guessing you don't like how Criquet set the D.VII's minimum airspeed to zero? I have also wondered if that was wise. It seems to work pretty well for the Pfalz D.IIIa though.

#10 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 05 July 2012 - 16:50

That might be it, they just seem very mellow for Ace setting. But I like the accuracy correction.

I also like the correction for the BnZ planes, se5a, spad etc.

#11 Avimimus

Avimimus

Posted 05 July 2012 - 18:11

I also had the Albatros D.II early exceed Vmax while attacking me… it could probably do with some careful tweaking. What I like is the AI is now less likely to shoot when it doesn't stand any chance of hitting (compared to the default settings). This makes oblique shots work better and attacks on two-seaters more plausible.

#12 Avimimus

Avimimus

Posted 05 July 2012 - 18:12

Alert: An error was found within the increased accuracy mod! Please download the updated version. This is important to keep the game from crashing when 'average' level S.E.5s are present in the mission.

P.S.
I've also added a newer set of Gunner AI tweaks. So you may want to re-download that mod as well!

#13 Dardrago1

Dardrago1

Posted 21 August 2012 - 19:08

Excuse me, but wanted to ask if I can install these modes in the current version 1,027 ??

#14 Avimimus

Avimimus

Posted 26 August 2012 - 13:47

Yes, both should be fully compatible up to 1.027

#15 Kartaugh

Kartaugh

Posted 12 September 2012 - 18:42

The gunner positions mod kills my Halberstadts.

Whenever I try to fly them I get error #10003 and get returned to the main screen. Removing the files for the halbys from the folder restores flying condition.

Just to help you figure out what's wrong, in the hangar, modifying the loadout for the plane, when you have two spandaus installed the game shows TWO complete loadout possibilities. By this I mean one with 1000 rounds (both guns fully loaded) plus all the bomb/photo/radio alternatives, and one with 500 rounds plus all the alternatives. This is different from every other plane, and my guess is it's the reason why the game is complaining about the mod.

#16 Dardrago1

Dardrago1

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:26

Yes, both should be fully compatible up to 1.027
…..and now with the new 1.028 version can also use modes?

#17 wothan

wothan

Posted 23 September 2012 - 15:46

Adding the new 1.026RC mods causes the saem error for at least the Halberstadt and the RE.8 as Kartaugh mentioned.

This is with 1.028b

Finn

#18 Lanzfeld

Lanzfeld

Posted 25 September 2012 - 16:53

So the Criquet Mod makes the AI shoot better or worse? Nevermind…I see it makes it better.

Did you tweek it for the D7?

Is it 1.028B friendly?

Also, in Criquets mod there is a note about install order. Could you elaborate on this?

#19 Lanzfeld

Lanzfeld

Posted 25 September 2012 - 20:10

I can rport that Gunner Position Mod is no good with 1.028b.

The 200HP Halb wont load Mods On with this mod. Cant launch from aircraft configue screen.

Rmove this mod and all works fine.

#20 Avimimus

Avimimus

Posted 26 September 2012 - 19:32

The current mod should still be compatible. I'll upload a newer version soon (adding the W.12).

Whenever I try to fly them I get error #10003 and get returned to the main screen. Removing the files for the halbys from the folder restores flying condition.

Sorry, I found the error! There were two files left over from the loadouts mod (which was created for 1.026 but disabled by the developers in 1.026b a few days later)!

Delete the following two files:
halberstadtcl2.txt
halberstadtcl2au.txt

Everything should work after that. I've also uploaded updated mods which fix this problem & add additional features.

#21 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 26 September 2012 - 19:51

Is it possible to make the player's AI gunner more accurate avi?

#22 Avimimus

Avimimus

Posted 26 September 2012 - 20:35

Yes, however the player and AI aircraft gunners all use the same AI files.

The best way to increase accuracy is to select "Ace" AI for the player's flight/airplane. This will make your gunner an Ace (and Ace AI gunners remain very powerful in the AI gunner mod).

If you want you can also install the gunner position mod without the gunner AI mod. If you have very specific tastes - let me know and I can help show you how to tweak your own files. However - be warned - AI programming is something of a nightmare.

P.S.
New versions are up. The most significan revamping is over the Gunner AI mod (with new burst fire settings) and the Gunner position mod now supports the Hansa-Brandenburg W.12

#23 elephant

elephant

Posted 26 September 2012 - 20:58

Thanks for the update, will try ASAP!

#24 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 26 September 2012 - 21:57

Yes, however the player and AI aircraft gunners all use the same AI files.

The best way to increase accuracy is to select "Ace" AI for the player's flight/airplane. This will make your gunner an Ace (and Ace AI gunners remain very powerful in the AI gunner mod).

If you want you can also install the gunner position mod without the gunner AI mod. If you have very specific tastes - let me know and I can help show you how to tweak your own files. However - be warned - AI programming is something of a nightmare.

P.S.
New versions are up. The most significan revamping is over the Gunner AI mod (with new burst fire settings) and the Gunner position mod now supports the Hansa-Brandenburg W.12

Well I'm just thinking about the W12, it's the plane I want to fly at this point. But I want my AI gunner to be accurate with the Becker since it has such low ammo, I don't much care if the AI gunner for enemy planes are snipers or not, can this be achieved?

#25 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 26 September 2012 - 23:43

Well to be more specific the default gunner accuracy for the purpose I want is acceptable, but I need him to lock onto the target much much faster, either that or allow him to lock on sooner. As it is now he only bothers to turn to the target when it enters his field of view and he takes a very long time to do it so I end up going out of his accuracy range by the time he gets the gun on the boat or train.

#26 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:35

RP, do you really believe that some W.12s had a becker cannon?

#27 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:18

Er, I've been out of the loop lately - what's the status on Criquet's ai mod ?

Is there an up to date version that is compatible with this suite of mods Avimimus ?(or is it redundant now?)

Also I'm confused about increasing the scouts accuracy . Doesn't that increase the likelihood of sniping ?

#28 Avimimus

Avimimus

Posted 27 September 2012 - 18:13

Gavagai updated the Criquet mod by adding a new value (making it comaptible with modern patches). None of my mods interfere except the 'increased scout accuracy' mod (which is a form of Criquet). It will make the AI scouts a bit more deadly.

RedPiano - I would recommend flying straight & level (so the gunner can aim properly) and ordering the gunner to only fire at close range. The Becker is quite lethal under these conditions. If you really must give them super-human ability - the simplest way is to open up turretcontrollerai.txt and lower the values that begin with "Coef"…

Gavagai - I knocked off a couple of degrees per second from the ring rotation of the W.12's Becker cannon. I can't see many good places to grip the ring and it is clearly more of an improvised field mod than the others (basically influenced by yours, and others, complaints that the W.12 isn't a W.19).

#29 AussiePilot

AussiePilot

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:56

G'day Avimimus. Thanks for the recent updates, have you had the time to include Gavagai's mod that restricts the rear gunners from shooting through their own fuselage and wings yet?

If not, do you know if Gavagai has updated his mod for 1.028b?

#30 Avimimus

Avimimus

Posted 29 September 2012 - 17:52

His sector limits have been added for the DFW and the front turret of the Gotha.

My understanding is that Gavagai has ceased working on the mod until certain flight model revisions are made - however you'll have to talk to him to confirm this. :D

If any of the aircraft turret's seem particularly bad - let me know. I'll look into it.

#31 Dardrago1

Dardrago1

Posted 03 October 2012 - 23:20

Look this way AI:

http://www.checksix-...ad.php?t=170456" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.checksix-...ad.php?t=170456

#32 Avimimus

Avimimus

Posted 11 October 2012 - 13:08

Thanks for the link!

It would be great if someone could create a utility that would allow quickly editing (with multipliers) the AI values for all of the aircraft at once.

This would make tweaking much easier as the values a spread out with entries for each aircraft and each AI level within each aircraft. Some things like marksmanship values could be edited across the board.

#33 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 05 November 2012 - 19:16

I thought you might be interested in that:

I can send you the files if desired.

#34 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:19

hop

Attached Files

• Attached File  data.7z   70.72KB   51 downloads

#35 Avimimus

Avimimus

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:38

Thanks - the new version is now up! Your fix looks great!

I'm now tweaking several gunner AI files - so if anyone has feedback - it'd be useful.

#36 AussiePilot

AussiePilot

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:15

Cheers Avimimus. I must ask though. In your gunner position mod 1.029 you now also have a "swf" folder which doesn't appear go in the LuaScripts folder with worldobjects.

Is this really needed? According to your read me everything should end up in the LuaScripts folder.

#37 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:52

In your gunner position mod 1.029 you now also have a "swf" folder which doesn't appear go in the LuaScripts folder with worldobjects.

Is this really needed? According to your read me everything should end up in the LuaScripts folder.

It's for the GUI fix for the change in Bristol Fighter default armament. Nothing to worry about, it's just a visual thing.

#38 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:35

I'm currently checking the changes to add them to my modpack.
Avimimus, in the Gotha file (for turret 2), for sectors limits I find this:

//SectorLimits0 = -45.0, +45.0, 25.0, 90.0
//SectorLimits1 = -180.0, -140.0, -15.0, 90.0
//SectorLimits2 = 140.0, 180.0, -15.0, 90.0

Is that normal? With the // in front of the values, i think they are erased, no?

EDIT: just checked in the "original" files, it seems you haven't touched anything. So why this modification is present (but cancelled) in the default files? Strange.

#39 Avimimus

Avimimus

Posted 28 December 2012 - 00:08

Yes, there are sector limits commented out for most of the turrets. This is fairly common find when modding. There are also programmer's notes in Russian in some of the files - but they've always come out garbled (an issue with UnGTP or my editors? I'm not sure which).

Yes - if you want to leave yourself a note you can use the "//" to make sure the program doesn't read it.

#40 NimitsTexan

NimitsTexan

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:02

Ehh, bottom line (in comparison to the 1.026 version and the default game), does this mod make 2-seaters more or less difficult to attack?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users