• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#1 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV USA

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:45

Dear Pilots,

Below is some useful information about the new synchronizers, rates of fire and key commands found in version 1.026 of ROF.

The following text and graphics about synchronizers was supplied to us and written by a Russian ROF user named Wad who is friendly with the team and has an engineerig background. He helped us research synchronizer technology in WWI and agreed to write this little primer for us.

A few words about machine gun synchronizers in WWI and ROF:

Many people know that combat aircraft of WWI were equipped with a special device that provides the pilot the ability to fire forward through the arc of a spinning propeller without the bullets striking the blades. And many people think that this device renders the machine-gun inoperative at the moment either blade is in line with the machine gun muzzle. At the present time all fixed machine guns in RoF are working in this way:

You can shoot:

And you can’t do it:

However, in reality, this is not so.

The first actual synchronizing gear was made by Anthony Fokker in the May of 1915. It consists of a cam wheel attached to the propeller shaft and a linkage system that transmits the reciprocating movement from the push rod resting on a cam to the trigger of the machine gun. The cam is adjusted so that it pulls the rod when the blade is not opposite the muzzle of the gun. So this device effectively turned the machine gun into the semi-automatic weapon. The pilot doesn’t press the trigger of the gun, but he just engage the synchronized gear and the cam of this gear fired one shot for each turn of propeller if the gun has time to recharge. The firing of the gun is controlled by a Bowden wire lever attached to the control column of the airplane.

This synchronizer was called “Fokker gear” or “Stangensteuerung” and was installed on Fokker E.III and some early German two-seaters in the summer of 1915:

After several months of defeats, the French have copied this device with minor modifications. This synchronizer was called “Alkan-Hamy gear” by name of its developers: Junior lieutenant of the French air service Alkan and naval engineer Hamy. This gear was installed on Nieuport 17 in the May of 1916:

The first British synchronized gear was put into production early in 1916. The “Vickers-Challenger gear”, as it was named for the inventor: George Challenger, an engineer of the Vickers establishment, involved a long oscillating rod to activate the Vickers trigger controlled by a cam and reduction gear attached to the rotary engine pump spindle. This synchronizer was fitted to a Bristol Scout in the January of 1916:

On a mission to England, lieutenant-commander Victor Dibovsky, an officer of the Imperial Russian Navy suggested a synchronized gear of his own design, and Warrant Officer F. W. Scarff developed and realized this gear which also consisted of came and rods and worked in much the same way as the Fokker gear. Most of the Sopwith 1 ½ Strutters delivered to RNAS (Royal Naval Air Service) in 1916 was fitted with the Scarff-Dibovsky gear:

Fokker gear worked satisfactorily on the aircrafts with rotative engines but it had troubles with stationary engines due to the increased length of the rods. For this reason the new German fighter of 1916 year, Albatros D I, was equipped with its own synchronized gear which was named “Hedtke gear” or “Hedtkesteuerung”:

All of these systems operate on the same principle: a cam mounted on the engine’s shaft presses the machine gun’s trigger through a system of rods and generate thereby one firing impulse for each rotation of propeller shaft.

From this it follows that a rate of fire strongly depends on engine speed.

Indeed, if the engine is stopped you can’t fire the gun! If you press the trigger on the control column you just engage the synchronized gear and nothing happens then because all parts of the gear are not on the run but you will able to shoot as soon as you start the engine.

How exactly the rate of fire depends on engine speed?

Suppose the claimed rate of fire of machine gun is 450 rpm (Spandau).*

If the engine speeds is up to 450 revolutions per minute - the rate of fire is same as the engine rpm.

But the gun cannot exceed its own rate of fire! As soon as engine speed exceeded 450 rpm, the gun would not have time to recharge and every second stroke of synchronizer rod would be blank.

Therefore, the rate of fire on 451 rpm dramatically dropped down to 225 rounds per minute and the machine gun would fire only one shot at every other rotation of propeller.

Then, if we continued to increase rpm, the rate of fire would grow again up to 450 rounds per minute on 900 rpm and would drop off after that to 300 rounds per minute. The machine gun would fire only one shot at every third rotation of propeller.

The dependence of rate of fire on rpm is shown there:

These graphs show that the rate of fire is highly dependent on motor speed. However, this dependence can be significantly reduced by increasing the number of synchronizing pulses, but this is hindered by the force of inertia of the system. So, further efforts of gunsmiths have been directed at reducing the force of inertia. Their researches moved towards these areas:

1. Pulling is better than pushing.

If you pull on the rod, this rod can be made quite thin, and the force of inertia will be minimized. This principle was realized in the British Sopwith-Kauper synchronized gear, invented by Australian motoring-pioneer H. A. Kauper. This gear is the inverse of Fokker design: the firing impulse generates at each low point of the cam instead at the lobe of the cam as a Fokker’s gear did. It was adopted in some Sopwith machines in 1917.

2. Oscillating is better than pulling.

Marc Birkigt, ingenious French engineer and inventor of the engine “Hispano-Suiza” suggested the use of the shaft, rotating alternately in clockwise and counterclockwise. The inertia of the oscillating motion is smaller than the inertia of the reciprocating motion, so the device, which is based on this principle, can operate at higher speeds. Birkigt gear was adopted by the French Air Force in September, 1916 and was in use up to the World War II.

3. Move a cam into the gun.

In the end of 1916 Antony Fokker designed a new synchronized gear without any rods at all. His idea was to move the cam directly on the gun. This gear consists of the flexible shaft connected with the end of the engine camshaft through the disengaging clutch. The opposite end of this flexible shaft connected with the cam of the trigger motor fitted to the machine gun. There were four balls in the case of the trigger motor which functioned as automatic safety device and prevented accidental discharge during engine start. This gear became standard on German air force since 1917.

4. Precision hydraulic system.

The Constantinesco gear, invented by Romanian engineer M. Constantinesco, became standard on Royal Air Force in 1917. Its action is hydraulic. A pump attached to the engine transmits impulses to a pipe-line filled with oil under pressure. A similar pump fitted to the gun responds to these impulses and fires the gun at the desired moment, so that the bullet will pass between the blades of the propeller.

All of this advanced gears generated two firing impulses per propeller revolution, so the dependence of the rate of fire on the engine speeds would be like this:

According to information received from the developers all of these features would be implemented in a future update.

Wad

*Note: Author uses a rate of fire for the Spandau of 450 rounds per minute in the explaination above. The Spandau had an adjustable rate of fire. We have set it at 650 rpm in ROF.

This information can be downloaded from here in .pdf form.

Synchronizer Document

Types of synchronizers in ROF

"Hedtke" actuator, mechanical hard link, 1 impulse per propeller cycle.

Albatros D.II
Albatros D.II late
Albatros D.III

"Semmler" actuator, mechanical hard link, 1 impulse per propeller cycle.

Albatros D.Va

"Stangensteuerung" actuator, mechanical hard link, 1 impulse per propeller cycle.

Fokker E.III

"Zentralsteuerung" actuator, mechanical soft link and min. RPM limit, 2 impulses per propeller cycle.

Fokker Dr.I
Fokker D.VII
Fokker D.VIIF
Fokker D.VIII
DFW C.Va
Halberstadt CL.II 150hp
Halberstadt CL.II 180hp

"Sopwith-Kauper" actuator, mechanical hard link, 2 impulses per propeller cycle.

Sopwith Triplane
Sopwith Camel
Sopwith Pup

"Constantinesco" actuator, hydraulic link, 2 impulses per propeller cycle.

Bristol F2B Fighter (Falcon 2)
Bristol F2B Fighter (Falcon 3)
S.E.5a
Sopwith Dolphin

"Alkan-Hamy" actuator, mechanical hard link, 1 impulse per propeller cycle.

Nieuport 17.C1

"Birkigt" actuator, mechanical hard link, 2 impulses per propeller cycle.

Nieuport 28.C1
SPAD 7.C1 150hp
SPAD 7.C1 180hp
SPAD 13.C1
Breguet 14.B2

"Challenger" actuator, mechanical hard link, 2 impulses per propeller cycle.

R.E.8

Maximum Rates of Fire for ROF Weapons

Lewis - 550 rpm (if magazine had 550 rounds)
Vickers Mk.I - 500 rpm (1916)**
Vickers Mk.I - 750 rpm w/ Hazelton Muzzle Booster (1917-1918)
Vickers Balloon Gun - 600 rpm
Spandau 08/15 - 650 rpm
Parabellum LMG14 - 700 rpm
Becker 20mm Automatic Cannon - 300 rpm (if magazine had 300 rounds)
Davis - 3 rpm (yes just 3!)

**Note: Includes Sopwith Pup, Sopwith Triplane. Nieuport 17 and Spad 7 150hp.

Weapons Controls in ROF

The following information was prepared by LukeFF about how weapon controls work in ROF version 1.026.

One of the new features of Rise of Flight version 1.026 is the way in which guns are charged, reloaded, and fired. Each of these features is discussed below.

Recharging and reloading your guns:

Rise of Flight now uses a new system to charge/recharge and reload your guns. As opposed to earlier versions of the game, the R key (All guns recharge / rearm) now controls all aspects of recharging and reloading your guns. No longer are guns able to be recharged simultaneously. When you press the R key, each gun that needs to be recharged will be recharged in sequence, followed by any guns which need to be reloaded (also in sequence).

In short, this new system is based upon two simple concepts:
  • Only guns which need to be recharged will be recharged.
  • Only guns which need to be reloaded will be reloaded.
Firing your guns:

There are several new gunfire commands implemented in version 1.026. Each of these is described below:
  • All guns fire (Space): this command operates the same as in previous versions of the game. All guns which are charged and have ammo will fire with this command.
  • Forward-facing guns fire (Right Alt + Space): this command only fires guns which are currently aligned to converge with your gunsight. This means that any upper-wing mounted guns which are tilted to fire upwards (see below) will not fire with this command. In addition, the Lewis machine gun as mounted on the Albatros D.III, the Albatros D.Va, and the R.E.8, and the Becker automatic cannon as mounted on the two versions of the Albatros D.II will not fire at all with this command, as they are not fitted to converge with each plane’s respective gunsight.
  • Nose guns fire (Left Alt +Space): this command only fires the guns fitted to the nose of your aircraft.
  • Overwing guns fire (comma): this command fires all guns mounted to the upper wing of your aircraft, regardless of the angle at which they are tilted.
  • Wing-guns fire (period): this command fires the two Lewis machine guns mounted on the lower wings of the Sopwith Dolphin.

Moving the upper-wing mounted guns:

Any gun that is mounted to the upper wing of your aircraft, if capable of movement, can be moved up and down in order to change the magazine or in some cases the angle at which it fires. Typically this is 45 degrees up angle for Foster mounted weapons. To do this, press the Left Alt + R key combination (Elevate / Depress guns).

Note: if one of your upper-wing guns needs to be reloaded, you do not need to use this command before using the All guns recharge / rearm command. In such cases the animation of the gun being pulled down and subsequently pushed back up will play automatically. The same is also true for recharging guns, although with some aircraft the gun will not be pulled down before the recharging animation plays. This simulates the ability of pilots to reach up and pull the charging handle without needing to get up out of their seat. Aircraft currently simulated in this manner include the Albatros D.III, the Albatros D.Va, the Nieuport 11, the Nieuport 17, the S.E.5a, and the Sopwith Dolphin.

We think you will enjoy the new more realistic weapon mechanics found in version 1.026. There are always compromises that need to be made when creating such systems in a flight-sim, but we feel these new features add a depth and technical achievement unmatched in the flight-sim genre. Special thanks to Wad and LukeFF for their assistance in gathering this information.

Thanks to the community fror your patience as we worked to finalize these changes.

We hope you like them!

:S!:

Jason

#2 startrekmike

startrekmike

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:10

I am just curious, is the Becker (as mounted on the Albatros D.II) allow for forward firing using it's own sight? Or does it only fire upwards?

It looks like (according to the screenshot) that it has it's own sight that is mounted directly to the wing, I suppose this question also goes for any other upper wing mounted weapons on a moving mount, it looks like we will have to line up using a slightly higher sight, is this true?

I feel like I am missing something obvious here but I figured it would not hurt to ask either way :)

Anyhoo.

Thanks so much for the amazing explanation, the level of detail is amazing and you gents deserve all the praise in the world for really putting your nose to the grindstone and giving us something very special.

Thanks for the good post and the great work.

#3 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester
  • LocationRedlands, California

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:11

One little addendum to what Jason wrote above: the rate of fire on the Sopwith Triplane is higher when you enable the twin-gun weapon mod. This is because this modification was introduced after the introduction of the Hazelton Muzzle Booster.

#4 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:12

I am just curious, is the Becker (as mounted on the Albatros D.II) allow for forward firing using it's own sight? Or does it only fire upwards?

It looks like (according to the screenshot) that it has it's own sight that is mounted directly to the wing, I suppose this question also goes for any other upper wing mounted weapons on a moving mount, it looks like we will have to line up using a slightly higher sight, is this true?

It can be aimed with the field mod gunsight.

#5 E.Bukin

E.Bukin

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:32

Thank you Jason for information it is a great mod to the game. Now I can say for sure that 777 team and Jason wrote there names into the history of simulation, nobody will tell that everyone is trying to make sim like RB3D, now if enyone will try to make a sim the will look at ROF, no matter wich era they choose. Now with 1.26 comes out I need seriuos help, how can I find a place for weekend o hide from my wife, son, GF, parents and friends ro enjoy ROF?????

#6 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:35

Therefore, the rate of fire on 451 rpm dramatically dropped down to 225 rounds per minute and the machine gun would fire only one shot at every other rotation of propeller.

Very interesting! Thank you for explaining this, and especially for implementing this!

Question: With all this work on gun timing, will gun jams be included? :D

#7 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:49

Terrific article! Just shows how much research depth goes into RoF.
I'm VERY glad production of extras (maps/mods/planes) has continued so that we can see this kind of extra polish added to an already amazing -top in the field- flight sim!

Thanks Jason, Wad, Luke, 777 team!

BTW, what an incredible amount of extra information we've gotten lately from Loft, Jason, Viks, and the 777 team! It makes reading the forums worth it again!
(just got to make sure to keep the ignore feature loaded and up to date)

#8 MarcoRossolini

MarcoRossolini
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:07

Good article, very informative.

#9 Pierre2

Pierre2
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:13

Am I right in interpreting the gun firing explanation;

Quote "All guns fire (Space): this command operates the same as in previous versions of the game. All guns which are charged and have ammo will fire with this command.
Forward-facing guns fire (Right Alt + Space): this command only fires guns which are currently aligned to converge with your gunsight. This means that any upper-wing mounted guns which are tilted to fire upwards (see below) will not fire with this command. In addition, the Lewis machine gun as mounted on the Albatros D.III, the Albatros D.Va, and the R.E.8, and the Becker automatic cannon as mounted on the two versions of the Albatros D.II will not fire at all with this command, as they are not fitted to converge with each plane’s respective gunsight.
Nose guns fire (Left Alt +Space): this command only fires the guns fitted to the nose of your aircraft.
Overwing guns fire (comma): this command fires all guns mounted to the upper wing of your aircraft, regardless of the angle at which they are tilted.
Wing-guns fire (period): this command fires the two Lewis machine guns mounted on the lower wings of the Sopwith Dolphin." en quote

If I continue to use the joystick trigger as is it will fire all forward facing guns.

If I want to be selective and say for examples,just fire the over wing guns, I hit (comma) and then use the trigger that will now only operate the over wing guns?

If this is the case will hitting (comma) again de-select the over wing guns?

#10 Damocles

Damocles

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:13

Absolutely fantastic, thankyou very much, very much appreciated.

"*Note: Author uses a rate of fire for the Spandau of 450 rounds per minute in the explaination above. The Spandau had an adjustable rate of fire. We have set it at 650 rpm in ROF."

????????????????? WHY ??????????

All the information I've seen suggests the rate was 450 ish, Wad also uses this typical rate of fire in his explanation, then, for some reason, the RoF team decides to go "sod that" and use a completely different rate of fire, increasing it by almost 50% per gun. On a two gun aircraft that's almost the equivalent of adding another gun.

I would love to know the logic or reason why.

Also:

"Lewis - 550 rpm (if magazine had 550 rounds)"

550 round magazine , or just total number of rounds with all magazines ????????

#11 TheBlackPenguin

TheBlackPenguin

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:16

Thanks for the article and explanation :shock: :shock: :shock:

:S!:

I'll be honest, I cannot even play ROF as it stands now just knowing whats coming, and no I won't get my hopes too much, its just I have a feeling my gunnery will need to be change, plus my current Pup career includes the odd balloon busting mission just crying for rockets, let alone getting used to sync. gear.

:x

#12 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:22

If I continue to use the joystick trigger as is it will fire all forward facing guns.

No, it will fire all guns on your plane, regardless of whether they are forward-facing or not (assuming that you mean the joystick trigger is referring to the "fire all guns" command).

If I want to be selective and say for examples,just fire the over wing guns, I hit (comma) and then use the trigger that will now only operate the over wing guns?

No, what happens is that each of those commands is a trigger. So, if you just want to fire the overwing guns, you would press and hold the comma button. Same deal with all the other fire commands - each one acts as a trigger. :) There's no selecting or de-selecting involved.

#13 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:25

In one of Achim Engels's writings, he notes that the Spandau could fire at 650 rpm (a bit higher as well, IIRC). So, there you go. There's nothing un-historical about it.

#14 Damocles

Damocles

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:26

BTW, what an incredible amount of extra information we've gotten lately from Loft, Jason, Viks, and the 777 team! It makes reading the forums worth it again!
(just got to make sure to keep the ignore feature loaded and up to date)

Quite agree :S!:

#15 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:26

Think about it - you'll figure it out. ;)

Hint: cyclic rate of fire.

#16 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:30

Am I right in interpreting the gun firing explanation;

Quote "All guns fire (Space): this command operates the same as in previous versions of the game. All guns which are charged and have ammo will fire with this command.
Forward-facing guns fire (Right Alt + Space): this command only fires guns which are currently aligned to converge with your gunsight. This means that any upper-wing mounted guns which are tilted to fire upwards (see below) will not fire with this command. In addition, the Lewis machine gun as mounted on the Albatros D.III, the Albatros D.Va, and the R.E.8, and the Becker automatic cannon as mounted on the two versions of the Albatros D.II will not fire at all with this command, as they are not fitted to converge with each plane’s respective gunsight.
Nose guns fire (Left Alt +Space): this command only fires the guns fitted to the nose of your aircraft.
Overwing guns fire (comma): this command fires all guns mounted to the upper wing of your aircraft, regardless of the angle at which they are tilted.
Wing-guns fire (period): this command fires the two Lewis machine guns mounted on the lower wings of the Sopwith Dolphin." en quote

No, each different fire command is assigned to a separate key or button/trigger command and works by itself. In other words, you'll need to decide which fire command to assign to your main joystick trigger, and then you would only use the trigger to do that one command. The other commands are not toggles, they are actual firing commands - so, if you want to be selective and just fire your over-wing guns, you would just press whatever key/button you assigned to that command (default, comma) - pressing comma by itself will fire the over-wing gun(s) - you don't need to use it in conjunction with any other command.

Thus, for example, I have my main trigger assigned to "fire forward-facing guns", one button on my joystick assigned to "fire over-wing guns", and another button on my joystick assigned to "fire nose guns" - those are the only firing commands I'll probably use with any regularity. Lesser-used commands (in my play style anyway), like "fire all guns" and "fire wing guns" (used only with Dolphin), I've left assigned to the default keys, but I could put them on joystick buttons if I wanted to do so.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#17 Damocles

Damocles

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:31

In one of Achim Engels's writings, he notes that the Spandau could fire at 650 rpm (a bit higher as well, IIRC). So, there you go. There's nothing un-historical about it.

"Could" and "Typical"

Evidently the Hazelton muzzle booster could boost the rate to over 1000 but, from what I understand, this wasn't used as it led to reliability problems with the synchronizer.

Why would "Wad" use 450 in his explanation if it was untypical ??

#18 Damocles

Damocles

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:32

Okay, sorry being a bit thick (read "Very")

#19 Pierre2

Pierre2
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:36

Lukeff and Panthercules - thanks for the clarification.

#20 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:53

Thank you for the detailed explanation, it's very much appreciated, I learned a lot today. Now I anticipate this new update even more! :S!:

#21 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV USA

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:54

Spandaus are set to 650 for the following reasons. They could be adjusted from anywhere from 0 to 700 rpm.

1. Our research indicates that the rate varied so we had to make a compromise.

2. We decided that a German pilot in WWI would probably want a higher rate of fire to boost leathality in combat. And considering sustained bursts at that rate was probably a bit rare in aerial combat, barrel damage and wear caused by a high rate of fire was less a factor on airplanes, compared to a machine gunner in the trenches with possibly thousands of rounds fired in a battle over a sustained period. Barrel wear and fatigue was probably more of factor for him so a rate of 450 made more sense.

3. We cannot offer a choice due to technical reasons in the engine to German pilots so we decided not to handicap them and give them a pretty high rate so they could compete with their Entente opponents which clearly had a fast rate of fire.

With the new synchronizers, you don't always fire at the same rate in combat due to engine RPM, so we think the 650 figure really isn't going to be that big if an issue because sometimes your rate can be much lower than that on both sides depending on what your engine is doing. Remember this is just max rpm, not constant rpm.

If you don't like this decision, I am sorry, but we have to make compromises sometimes and this seemed like a logical choice given the circumstances.

Jason

#22 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:06

Okay, sorry being a bit thick (read "Very")

http://en.wikipedia....ire#Cyclic_rate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia....ire#Cyclic_rate

#23 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:06

Jason, if I were you I would have made the same decision, it's totally sensible.

It would have been bad for the game if central planes got such a huge handicap, and I'm very happy that you could "balance" it without compromising historical accuracy.

#24 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:11

Question: With all this work on gun timing, will gun jams be included? :D

:?: :D

#25 Damocles

Damocles

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:14

Thank you Jason. :S!:

#26 catchov

catchov

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:19

Hats off to Wad! Exceptional research. I'm very much looking forward to the finished implementation by the 777 team. I'm quite amazed at the intricate level of detail you guys go to. :shock:

Well done team! And thanks go to Jason for holding the ship togther, despite the odds, for a sim that transcends the rest and is something very special. :S!:

#27 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:34

Wonderful!

#28 lederhosen

lederhosen

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:37

Wow

this actualy sounds good, now if had hard jams that would be hell

#29 Gadfly21

Gadfly21

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:52

Thanks for the information Jason! This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I'm surprised that there were so many different types of synchronizers in use during this time.

Now, I'm not complaining, but curious (again, I am no expert) :

2. We decided that a German pilot in WWI would probably want a higher rate of fire to boost leathality in combat

I'm just wondering if 650 rpm was commonly used in aircraft installations. I feel that although a German pilot might want higher RoF, he might not have gotten it, for whatever reason. You're right in that 450 rpm or lower does seem reasonable for a trench-gun, which has to fire almost constantly.

Maybe, if historical, the Central powers' Spandaus can have an "early" and "late" fire rate like the Vickers has? Just thinking out loud…

I can imagine it's very tough for a software developer to get things exactly right, especially with a discerning crowd scrutinizing everything, but I hope balance for the sake of balance is not a factor in the decision process. If it is, so be it, I guess. As long as it keeps the project going! :)

I know you said it couldn't be done for this update, but will it be possible to see player-adjustable RoF in future versions?

Again, great post, and I can't wait to play with the new additions, and I'm excited to see what comes next!

#30 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:55

This is phenomenal, by far the biggest addition since I started playing!

Very exciting! I'm back on board 777!

#31 SYN_MrWolf

SYN_MrWolf

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:06

Wow ..i am verymcurious how all this will change dogfights in multiplay. Very cool.

#32 SYN_MrWolf

SYN_MrWolf

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:06

Wow ..i am very curious how all this will change dogfights in multiplay. Very cool.

#33 Dunringill

Dunringill

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:41

Excellent information, thank you very much! I always wondered how it all actually worked and what happened when you pressed the trigger. And there it is, you don't actually press the trigger at all, you engage the synchroniser gear. The penny has dropped! :-)

#34 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:02

Thanks to all involved in this :P

Excellent post by Jason about the synchronizer. Learned a lot!

That's gonna be a brand new sim! :D Can't believe it!

+ the new damage stuff they are working on for next update (Loft post), Just FANTASTIC :S!:

BTW, i guess all AIs will have to reload same way??

#35 VonSensburg

VonSensburg

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:04

This level of detail is just incredible! ROF is making new standard in all flight sims! Good work guys and big thanks!

#36 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:26

That's gonna be a brand new sim! :D Can't believe it!

This update is really going to be revolutionary, in the same way that the career mode update was. :)

#37 Sharpus

Sharpus

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:32

At first I was a little bit unsure about the "weapon mod". But now… I can't wait for it! Give it to me…. grrrr :-)
Great article indeed, I learned a lot of stuff today.
Really good work 777!

#38 HippyDruid

HippyDruid

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:45

It looks like I am going to have to redefine some buttons for firing all those guns!

#39 3instein

3instein

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:47

Awesome work guys,when a subject is well researched like this one it really shows and makes for informative reading.
Can't wait for this and will make dog fighting even more hazardous to my health.

#40 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:58

It looks like I am going to have to redefine some buttons for firing all those guns!

Yep, but it's definitely worth it. Funny thing is, even after I reconfigured my HOTAS for this new update, my number of assigned keystrokes is almost the same. I was able to drop one of the reload commands (since it's not there anymore, anyways) in "exchange" for the new elevate/depress guns command and one new gunfire command. Having one reload key for all guns now certainly is a very nice convenience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users