• Tester
  • LocationRedlands, California

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:12

I sure hope these gun mods don't spoil the game

They won't. Quit being so negative. :?

#123 neuro

neuro

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:16

That Bristol has 3 forward-firing guns + twin guns in the turret?
Now that's what I call a PWN-machine (if we only could get reinforced wings…)

Also, can the extra gun on the Breguet be angled to fire straight, or does it only fire upwards?

#124 startrekmike

startrekmike

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:54

I think all of them (except the Dolphin cockpit guns) can be angled to fire forward, you can pull them back to reload or fire at a upward angle.

I could be wrong, someone please correct me because I am also kinda curious.

#125 Frankyboy

Frankyboy

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:23

That Bristol has 3 forward-firing guns + twin guns in the turret?
Now that's what I call a PWN-machine …..
count the guns of the DH4 ;)
and this thing has a powerfull engine !

#126 neuro

neuro

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:26

Flying as fighter, I'd prefer the Bristol over the DH4 if it wasnt for the relatively weak wings. As it is right now, my favorite 'heavy fighter' is the Breguet, by far. The Bristol and DH4 are very different but both can be effective as fighters. The Re8 can be pretty effective too, but having less horse power it's more tricky when it comes to energy management. And of course, im talking about flying with a good gunner in the rear cockpit. If I don't have a gunner I don't fly 2-seaters as fighters.

#127 sallee

sallee

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:13

I hope these weapons mods don't give you piles.

#128 neuro

neuro

Posted 24 June 2012 - 14:28

Depends on how you use them, I guess…

#129 sallee

sallee

Posted 24 June 2012 - 16:15

Fair point.

#130 Sparrow315

Sparrow315

Posted 25 June 2012 - 00:17

Decisions, decisions, I can only afford to get either the 0/400 with the 57 or the Gotha with the 20s, I need help deciding!

#131 Gadfly21

Gadfly21

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:35

The O/400 also comes with a twin Lewis mount for the rear gunner position. The 57 mm cannon is an offensive tool against sea and ground targets, not for defense against aircraft like the two Becker cannons would be.

- PS I've noticed on the store page that pictures of each mod are now included, and next to the Becker cannons are "HE" and "AP". Does the player chose the loadout, or are both of these types included in the standard belt? What would be the benefit of each in air combat? (I ordered the gun for my DFW).

#132 startrekmike

startrekmike

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:12

So all the images we see have the wing mounted guns facing up, any shots of them facing forward?

I mean, I know I probably only need to wait a few days to see it myself in game, but I am just curious.

Also, how the heck do we aim the rockets? I don't know how that worked, perhaps some book somewhere speaks about it?

#133 Endy

Endy

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:24

http://en.wikipedia....e_Prieur_rocket" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia....e_Prieur_rocket

There yer go startremike.

#134 J5_Gamecock

J5_Gamecock

Posted 25 June 2012 - 13:10

Wouldn't worry about that.IMO they make it more a "game", and less the historical flight sim it started out as.

Gamecock,The Kickin Chickin   http://www.jasta5.org

Untitled.jpg

#135 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 25 June 2012 - 13:16

Gamecock, can you give a quick explanation on how the gun mods are not historical, keeping in mind that historical means did exist in history?

#136 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester
  • LocationRedlands, California

Posted 25 June 2012 - 14:03

Wouldn't worry about that.IMO they make it more a "game", and less the historical flight sim it started out as.

Right, then I guess pilots like Nungesser were being gamey because they added an extra Lewis gun to their N17. Or Frank Luke adding balloon guns to his plane - the shock! :o What a dishonorable man he was for doing that!

:roll:

You guys gotta come up with better arguments than this.

#137 J5_Gamecock

J5_Gamecock

Posted 25 June 2012 - 14:20

True,there is nothing here that wasn't available in WWI. However,when you take prototypes or experimental weapon configurations,(most of which never worked out or saw VERY limited service and some that never got past the testing stage), and make them available to everyone,then you're getting away from the historic aspect of the sim.

Sorry to offend, but just my opinion. ;)

BTW Luke, you actually helped my point with the examples of Luke and Nungesser. Individuals, NOT mass-produced.

Untitled.jpg

#138 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 25 June 2012 - 14:26

Gamecock has an excellent point. Of course, the fact that nobody actually dies when they are shot down is also getting away from the historical aspect of the sim. I'm not sure why that isn't a problem for the "purists"…

The toughest part of my job is dealing with incompetent clowns who think they're good at their job.

Free Knalp!

#139 J5_Gamecock

J5_Gamecock

Posted 25 June 2012 - 14:31

Gamecock has an excellent point. Of course, the fact that nobody actually dies when they are shot down is also getting away from the historical aspect of the sim. I'm not sure why that isn't a problem for the "purists"…

Good point :S!:

Untitled.jpg

#140 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 25 June 2012 - 14:42

No, that's not a good point. Wanting historical accuracy and wanting to die are two different things on two very different levels. If flight sims killed you, they'd be a hell of a lot less popular than they already are. I think that Gamecock brings a fair argument to the table; seeing an Albatros with a Lewis MG on its wing would be unusual in WWI. Here, in ROF, we will have the possibility of seeing whole flights, even squadrons, with this modification. Why is this so unbelievable?

#141 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 25 June 2012 - 14:50

No, that's not a good point. Wanting historical accuracy and wanting to die are two different things on two very different levels.

No, the fact that we don't die is everything. It's not a history sim, it's a flight sim. We're just "flying" the aircraft, we're not reliving history.

The toughest part of my job is dealing with incompetent clowns who think they're good at their job.

Free Knalp!

#142 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 25 June 2012 - 15:26

True,there is nothing here that wasn't available in WWI. However,when you take prototypes or experimental weapon configurations,(most of which never worked out or saw VERY limited service and some that never got past the testing stage), and make them available to everyone,then you're getting away from the historic aspect of the sim.

BTW Luke, you actually helped my point with the examples of Luke and Nungesser. Individuals, NOT mass-produced.
Don't know why you would think you've offended anyone. Does a lack of automatic agreement constitute offense?

Whether or not these mods get away from the historic aspect of the sim is entirely up to the mission designers and how they are actually used. Flying HPs and Gothas over the front lines in daylight also qualifies by your standards. And, of course, fast action missions where it is Corsairs vs. Knights is far from historical, but has always been included in the game.

Jason recently clarified that the AI will not fly with these mods. So, right there, in SP at most you will see one aircraft in the sky with these mods: you. So, your choice as to how real you want to keep it.

There will certainly be an initial playing around period in MP with these mods. But I would expect it to settle down and be more historical on servers that specialize in historical missions.

#143 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 25 June 2012 - 15:37

No, the fact that we don't die is everything. It's not a history sim, it's a flight sim. We're just "flying" the aircraft, we're not reliving history.
Sorry, that's just too pedantic for my tastes.

It is (or can be) a history sim if you use it to recreate history within the limits of the sim's capabilities.

It is similar to the historical recreations of battles that some participate in. No one is actually killed, but the events are recreated to gain a better insight as to what it was like. It is not a perfect recreation. If that were the standard for calling a sim a history sim, then no sim could be called that and the phrase "history sim" would be self-contradictory – a concept devoid of meaning.

"Historical simulation" is a valid concept when the context is properly understood.

#144 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 25 June 2012 - 15:47

It is (or can be) a history sim if you use it to recreate history within the limits of the sim's capabilities.

If you don't die you're not recreating anything. The constant threat of death hung over everything they did, and how they flew. We're just flying their planes. We're not coming close to recreating how they flew those planes.

Free Knalp!

#145 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV USA

Posted 25 June 2012 - 15:50

They are OPTIONAL equipment. Not everyone will buy them and not every server will allow them.

Sorry, but all this arguing about what is historical is nonsense. Recreating anything long since gone is "historical" in our book. If you don't think using them is historical, then don't use them.

One thing I will say, is that if it weren't for the weapon mods, you would not have any more ROF anything including the fixes they bring along with them, so which do you prefer?

Building these weapon mods just made ROF A LOT more historical in many, many ways.

Jason

#146 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 25 June 2012 - 16:55

If you don't die you're not recreating anything. The constant threat of death hung over everything they did, and how they flew. We're just flying their planes. We're not coming close to recreating how they flew those planes.
Right, forgot that debating with you is just an exercise in running around in circles. No new content in what you posted there – just a rehash of what you said the first time w/no acknowledgement or specific addressing of anything I said in reply.

Done with you on this little off topic.

#147 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 25 June 2012 - 17:04

Right, forgot that debating with you is just an exercise in running around in circles. No new content in what you posted there – just a rehash of what you said the first time w/no acknowledgement or specific addressing of anything I said in reply.

Done with you on this little off topic.

You missed the point, so I tried to restate it. I'll try again. The people who are whining that the weapons mods will ruin their pristine historical simulation are delusional. Their ideal historical simulation never existed (aka "we don't die"). In fact, the weapons mods allow us to simulate even more historical situations, as well as simulate many "what if" situations.

Free Knalp!

#148 Gimpy117

Gimpy117

Posted 25 June 2012 - 17:21

those are pretty scary cannons I see there…

#149 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 25 June 2012 - 18:09

You missed the point, so I tried to restate it. I'll try again. The people who are whining that the weapons mods will ruin their pristine historical simulation are delusional. Their ideal historical simulation never existed (aka "we don't die"). In fact, the weapons mods allow us to simulate even more historical situations, as well as simulate many "what if" situations.
OK, now that it resembles a discussion I'll continue.

I didn't miss the point. You wanted to showcase the hypocrisy of playing out a historical simulation in a sim where it isn't really possible to be fully historical. That is why I chimed in to begin with. I think your view is overly pedantic. You are arguing against a straw man. I don't believe anyone is asserting they want full blood and guts realism.

Short of that, it is possible to have an historical simulation in the sim that approaches reality to a greater degree than has been done before. I think that is the goal most, if not all, of the history & realism advocates seek.

Regardless, I do agree with you that the weapons mods actually allow for even greater opportunities to simulate history. These mods did exist and having them in the sim is moving things forward.

#150 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 25 June 2012 - 18:22

I didn't miss the point. You wanted to showcase the hypocrisy of playing out a historical simulation in a sim where it isn't really possible to be fully historical.

Yes, you did miss the point, and you're still missing the point. The people who are whining about the weapon mods are claiming that it will make the game less historical because everyone will be flying around with rare mods. They are completely ignoring all the non-historical things that they are doing right now. That is the hypocrisy I'm talking about. For instance, gavagai spends all his time on multi-player alone stalking other lone aircraft (while whining about random shit in the text chat). How historical is that? There were probably more Lewis guns on Albatross DVa's than there were pilots who spent ALL their time as lone hunters.

Free Knalp!

#151 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer

Posted 25 June 2012 - 20:00

I didn't miss the point. You wanted to showcase the hypocrisy of playing out a historical simulation in a sim where it isn't really possible to be fully historical.

Yes, you did miss the point, and you're still missing the point. The people who are whining about the weapon mods are claiming that it will make the game less historical because everyone will be flying around with rare mods. They are completely ignoring all the non-historical things that they are doing right now. That is the hypocrisy I'm talking about. For instance, gavagai spends all his time on multi-player alone stalking other lone aircraft (while whining about random shit in the text chat). How historical is that? There were probably more Lewis guns on Albatross DVa's than there were pilots who spent ALL their time as lone hunters.

Ok guys,

Yes, it's a simulation, not real life. I get all your points even if some don't get mine. Let's knock off the arguing now. There is enough hypocrisy to go around on all sides of every argument on this forum. You have a great and important update coming very soon. Just focus on the fun you're about to have. :S!:

Jason

#152 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 25 June 2012 - 20:13

Removed per Jason's request.

#153 startrekmike

startrekmike

Posted 25 June 2012 - 21:39

Well, on a more positive note.

I notice that my play time on ROF has increased a great deal due to the oncoming patch, though I feel like I will have to relearn the sim when I start adding extra weight to my aircraft :D

Does anyone have any real life footage of some of these new weapons, I can't seem to find any youtube links myself, perhaps someone knows of a source?

***EDIT***

I am literally counting the minutes until this thing comes out, I am beyond excited at the prospect of potentially game changing content that will help keep things fresh while giving us all a great opportunity to re-enact some of the more unique air combat situations of the war.

Imagine how cool it will be when we can aim our lewis up to take a poke at that high flying Gotha 8-)

#154 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 25 June 2012 - 23:06

Mike, Jason posted two videos: one with the rockets, and one with the Camel cutout and Triplane twin vicker.

And yeah, there will be new things to learn and also a few buttons to (re)assign!

#155 startrekmike

startrekmike

Posted 25 June 2012 - 23:25

I know about the in game footage, I was just wondering if anyone knew of any real world footage of the weapons, even from modern reproductions.

#156 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 25 June 2012 - 23:26

Ahhh sorry, misinterpreted.

#157 Bf-110

Bf-110

Posted 25 June 2012 - 23:31

Maybe I'm the only one that liked the weapons mods and believe they won't mess RoF realism…unless you want to do so.

#158 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer

Posted 26 June 2012 - 00:21

I'm telling you guys, with the improvements we have made to rates of fire and other small changes ROF has never been more "real" or "historical". Combat will be more deadly and you'll probably need to adjust your tactics a bit. But that's good because I think that gets you closer to how it was. I really fear getting shot at now even with AI.

Jason

#159 startrekmike

startrekmike

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:04

Exactly what I am hoping for Jason, I have no doubt that we will be very pleased with the new features and equipment.

This is going to be a good time for ROF players.

#160 No48_Snoopy

No48_Snoopy

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:30

I'm telling you guys, with the improvements we have made to rates of fire and other small changes ROF has never been more "real" or "historical". Combat will be more deadly and you'll probably need to adjust your tactics a bit. But that's good because I think that gets you closer to how it was. I really fear getting shot at now even with AI.

Jason

Quite a crack job, 777 Team! No. 48 Sqdn pilots anxiously await to convert the Brisfits into "Flying Fortresses" :x :lol: . Thanks for everything
~S!~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users