Photo
- - - - -

Anyone play Silent hunter 5?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 King_Hrothgar

King_Hrothgar

Posted 31 May 2012 - 21:27

Been a long time since I scratched that U-boat itch so I'm looking for a replacement for SH3. The reviews are pretty much universally bad due to glitches but it was released 2 years ago. Anyone here played it recently and willing to comment on its patched/modded form?

#2 MarcoRossolini

MarcoRossolini
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 31 May 2012 - 21:28

I don't play it but I believe the mods are good…?

#3 159th_Jester

159th_Jester

Posted 31 May 2012 - 21:33

There are some really good mods out for SH5.

Check out the Subsim forums for the Open Horizons II campaign mod and anything made by a fella called "The Dark Wraith." His AI, UI and other assorted mods really add something to the game.

#4 King_Hrothgar

King_Hrothgar

Posted 31 May 2012 - 21:38

Doesn't really answer the question though, how would you rate the base game and it's overall current state?

#5 Devere

Devere

Posted 31 May 2012 - 21:49

Doesn't really answer the question though, how would you rate the base game and it's overall current state?

But you just asked how is it in patched/modded form?

Base game sucks, mods rock. Still not as good as 3 or 4 tho in my humble opinion. Typical usual UBI bullshit - style over substance.

#6 159th_Jester

159th_Jester

Posted 31 May 2012 - 21:57

If you think SH5 is bad, have you heard that Ubi are now doing a browser based MMO using the SH5 engine…… I'll leave you to imagine just how well that's been received in the Subsim community!! :xx:

#7 GrassGuy

GrassGuy

Posted 31 May 2012 - 22:07

Base game sucks, mods rock. Still not as good as 3 or 4 tho in my humble opinion. Typical usual UBI bullshit - style over substance.

As it relates to V, base game is dog even with mods, I can't get into the new format. Now III & IV are good. with certain a mods they are great.

#8 VR_Warrior

VR_Warrior

Posted 31 May 2012 - 23:29

Wow, this post brought back memories of playing SH2 vs Destroyer Command! What a great idea that was ……. too bad it didn't work out like it was supposed to! Still have those games sitting on my shelf by my computer!

#9 AndyJWest

AndyJWest

Posted 01 June 2012 - 00:11

Yup - I should definitely get SH4 modded up, and give it another go. For sheer adrenaline, there's not much that can match sneaking into a harbour between the Japanese destroyers to sink an aircraft carrier or two…

#10 avlSteve

avlSteve

Posted 01 June 2012 - 00:46

I played the unholy dog out of SH3, modded to the hilt. SH4 didn't quite grab me quite like I wanted, especially with the crew remaining on the bridge after the dive and all. Enjoyed it some. SH5, for me was a total loss after specifically purchasing a machine to play it on. The good part about that was discovering ROF.

Back on topic. So I too decided to try it again recently. Went ahead and researched and got the "good" mods and everything. It was looking good to me, and I had started a mission a couple weeks ago, and this thread reminded me of that.

So I launch SH5, and here's what it says: "Steam - Error. The game is currently unavailable. Please try it again at a later time." :roll:

EDIT: to be fair, it did launch a few minutes later.

#11 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:02

I like that SH5 tries to address the problem of making you feel you are really among the crew and treading the deck plates of a real U-boat. Sub simmer's spend an awful lot of time pounding the time skip key, and that is something to be addressed. It would be good of they took it further though and added a little more than the ability to ask the crew how their mum is going though.

#12 Sirocco

Sirocco

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:13

When you think you've seen all the batty ideas suits can come up with … they come up with Silent Hunter … MMO … Playable with Flash through your browser … where you can buy stuff … though it will just speed stuff up you'd get already … but you do get wolfpacks now, because, well, it couldn't be done without … MMO … UBI are obviously intent on sinking the SH brand.

BTW: Loved SH3 - that was immersive. SH4 not so much.

#13 AndyJWest

AndyJWest

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:33

Loved SH3 - that was immersive

…as a sub sim should be. ;)

Seriously though, I can't think of a more 'realistic' simulation then SH3, when you have nothing to look at but the sonar-operators chart, and nothing to listen to but the sound of destroyers bearing down on you. You don't need fancy graphics - just imagination, which is all that was available in the real life situation. And there are few more scary things to imagine than depth charges, as you listen to the sound of the hull creaking as you push it ever deeper, hoping against hope that the designers added a little extra strength to be on the safe side. If that doesn't make your hair stand on end, you have no soul…

Actually, to make sub sims more realistic, rather than improved graphics, they need authentic smells - aged cabbage, diesel fuel, body odour, cheap cologne, vomit, and a faint aroma of chlorine gas would add a lot to the sensory experience. :D

#14 Happyhaddock

Happyhaddock
  • LocationCloud cuckoo land

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:51

I got and modded SH5 for screensots/digital art as it can look awesome, but the game play did nothing for me, what's more without the equivalent of a quick mission editor I couldn't stage the shots I wanted, and I hadn't the interst to play through all the scripted missions in the hope of capturing a few images.

Still say the graphics engine when modded to it's limits is superb but that doesn't make it worth owning.

#15 Kongo_Otto

Kongo_Otto

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:39

Never even bought SH 5, still on Patrol with a heavily modded SH 3 in the North Atlantic.

Mods used:
h.sie Patch V16A3
Merchant Fleet Mod 3.2
MFM V3 Skin Packs 1
MFM V3 Skin Packs 2
LifeBoats&Debris_v4
GWX_DFa-Flag&Pens_2010
FM30_UpDown_final
FM_NewInterior_V1.0
Conning Tower open Hatch TestFMfood
Depthcharge Shake v2.01
Urfischs_ModStrike_Beta1
Waterstream+Exhaust Combi V2.3 for GWX3
New Uboat Guns 1.2
Real Depth Charge
Searchlights_Removed
Torpedo damage Final ver2.0
Foam
WAC4.1 SubPen_animated_18.02.2010
Combat Radio Frequency
Flags_enlighten
Pascal_Port_People
Rapt0r's Das Boot Interior
Rapt0r's Instruments V3.5 [Without Red Circle]
Rapt0r's Das Boot Skin
Sobers 3D waves
SOF_Scope
TeifeMkI(German)
Officer symbol
Rapt0r's Uniforms V2.0 [Grey]
No Medals On Crew [Patch]
GWX 3 Wilhemshafen,St Naz,Schluese and xtra ships V5
Q Ship mod GWX3.0
Derzeitige Tiefe
konrad krumms type 7c
b25_ConningTower_Mid
Kaleun's Cap
Wooden_Lifeboats_Mod_1.1
Destroyers&Corvette
WAC4.1 16k Atmosphere
Materials file for Aces' multi-mod v1.3
DD_VisibleMines_V1.0
TheDarkWraith_DC_Water_Disturbance_v4_0_SH3
TheDarkWraith_Ship_Plane_Fire_Damage_v1_4_SH3
Torpedo_HAHD_1024_GWX
Karle's_Crash_Dive_Mod
b25_Louder_Diesels_Louder
Aces' Multimod compatability fix release v1.3 public beta
Aces'_Multimod_Fix_v1.3_Johann_add-on
Aces' Modified Headphones
Ricks_GWX_Rec_Man_Final
Aces' St.Nazaire Super Pens v5.1 GWX Version
Aces' Radio Room Postcards v2
RL_E v2 Daily Double 0600_2300
Type IXb - The Wolf
Aces' Super Turms v6 for GWX
MaGui 3.4
Widescreen MaGui v3.4
optional-stopwatch with speed lines for Widescreen MaGui v3.4
optional-blue recmanual for Widescreen MaGui v3.4
Aces' Super Turms v6 Damo's Type 7 Atmospheric Interior lighting add-on
Aces' Super Turms v5.1+ GWX all U-Boats Bearded Crew On Deck Add On
Aces' Repositioned 105 mm Gun on Types 9b and 9c plus New Type 9b Deck Railings
Aces' Type 9 c-1 Super Turm (Turm Emblems Your Way Compat v3.2) Alt Grill + 3x MG-34 version for GWX
Aces' MaGUI v3.4 (Widescreen version) add-on v3 for Super Turms 5+ & Multimod compatability Fix v1.3

#16 MarcoRossolini

MarcoRossolini
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:52

are you sure youve got enough, I mean you might want a few more…

#17 King_Hrothgar

King_Hrothgar

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:33

A few youtube videos and this thread later, SH5 isn't looking too good. It looks like a game of super simplified damage modeling compared to SH3 (even saw a few health bars) and absurd explosions for no apparent reason. From the looks of it, all of them are actually fireworks barges for the 4th of July. I wonder what happened to slowly and uneventfully slipping below the surface from a single well placed torpedo hit that was my favored method in SH3.

So I guess I'll ask a new question, any mods that bring SH3 up to something resembling modern graphics standards? I remember what ultimately booted it off my hard drive was the inability to use modern displays. It was made for the old days of basically square CRT's and simply adjusting the config file didn't produce acceptable results. Alternatively, is there a total conversion mod for SH5 that uses the graphics engine but basically rewrites everything else to make it more like SH3 was? Yes these are better asked on the subsim forums but I suspect I'd get more objective thoughts here.

#18 Slick_Ace

Slick_Ace

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:34

you cant play sh5 stock. Mods are a must and of course there are mods to take away that 4th of july explosions. I shelfed the sh5 when it came out cause of this but it is now excellent with mods. Ive played sh3 with mods for a long time and im not going back to it after having sh5 heavily modded.

Several mods for sh3 was converted to sh5 but total conversions to make sh5 into sh3 i dont know. I can only recomend to try out the sh5 with modpacks, fairly stabil. Im a long time fan of sh3 but i dont listen to sh3 fanatics saying sh3 is better, they are wrong imo. im of course talking about sh5 modded not stock.

#19 King_Hrothgar

King_Hrothgar

Posted 01 June 2012 - 14:23

Fair enough, it is only $20 so I guess I can take a leap of faith on the mod community. Ran out of stuff to buy for RoF long ago after all. :lol:

#20 Kongo_Otto

Kongo_Otto

Posted 01 June 2012 - 15:27

Im a long time fan of sh3 but i dont listen to sh3 fanatics saying sh3 is better, they are wrong imo. im of course talking about sh5 modded not stock.

SH 3 is not necessarly better than SH 5, it's more complete. In SH 5 the other important U-Boot Types like the Type II and the Type IX are still missing.
Otherwise it is purely a matter of taste which one you prefer.
Important is the fun you have playing it.
:S!:

#21 Kongo_Otto

Kongo_Otto

Posted 01 June 2012 - 15:35

are you sure youve got enough, I mean you might want a few more…

This mods are used together with GWX which is a Megasize Supermod itself.
All these Mods make SH3 almost a new game compared to the stock Version and with GWX it's pretty hard, almost realistic.
I had a Patrol where is was hunted by a Hunter-Killer Group for six hours (real time) and it was a real experience. Limped back just with one Diesel working, heavily damaged and just 1500 tons sunk. After 1943 it gives you a very realistic feeling how those guys in the U-Boots must have feeled about their missions. Beeing hunted by RN Destroyers and Coastal Command Sunderlands for hours gives you real feel of the "Bloody Biscay".

#22 navair2

navair2
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 01 June 2012 - 15:42

SH5…now there's a dog I wouldn't even try to train IMO. :P

UbiSoft's initial DRM killed it off for me, then after waiting for what, over a year? …to see if their "online-always" DRM would be lifted, I looked at a few YouTube videos to take a gander at what the game play would be like. Needless to say, I really wasn't that impressed. :zzz: Graphics are nice, but the layout wasn't right, for some reason.

I still haven't tried it, as it seems mods are essential to bring it up to par with SH4 ( which I like quite well ) and SH3 with GWX Gold is quite nice. 8-)

As for SH5 and me ever trying it? I swore it off long ago…to me, Ubi took the Silent Hunter series too far in their quest for security against piracy and trying new features, and "missed the boat" ( pun intended ). :lol:

Case: Corsair 650D Motherboard: AsRock Z77 Extreme4 PSU: Antec TruePower New 750 Blue CPU: Intel i5-2500K ( Socket 1155 )

CPU Cooler: ZalMan CNPS9500A LED GPU: EVGA GTX 580 MEM: 8 GB G.Skill PC12800 DDR3 1600
Soundcard: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Monitor: Samsung 2343 BWX 23"@ 2048 x 1152 OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

#23 navair2

navair2
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 01 June 2012 - 15:44

Never even bought SH 5, still on Patrol with a heavily modded SH 3 in the North Atlantic.

Mods used:
h.sie Patch V16A3
Merchant Fleet Mod 3.2
MFM V3 Skin Packs 1
MFM V3 Skin Packs 2
LifeBoats&Debris_v4
GWX_DFa-Flag&Pens_2010
FM30_UpDown_final
FM_NewInterior_V1.0
Conning Tower open Hatch TestFMfood
Depthcharge Shake v2.01
Urfischs_ModStrike_Beta1
Waterstream+Exhaust Combi V2.3 for GWX3
New Uboat Guns 1.2
Real Depth Charge
Searchlights_Removed
Torpedo damage Final ver2.0
Foam
WAC4.1 SubPen_animated_18.02.2010
Combat Radio Frequency
Flags_enlighten
Pascal_Port_People
Rapt0r's Das Boot Interior
Rapt0r's Instruments V3.5 [Without Red Circle]
Rapt0r's Das Boot Skin
Sobers 3D waves
SOF_Scope
TeifeMkI(German)
Officer symbol
Rapt0r's Uniforms V2.0 [Grey]
No Medals On Crew [Patch]
GWX 3 Wilhemshafen,St Naz,Schluese and xtra ships V5
Q Ship mod GWX3.0
Derzeitige Tiefe
konrad krumms type 7c
b25_ConningTower_Mid
Kaleun's Cap
Wooden_Lifeboats_Mod_1.1
Destroyers&Corvette
WAC4.1 16k Atmosphere
Materials file for Aces' multi-mod v1.3
DD_VisibleMines_V1.0
TheDarkWraith_DC_Water_Disturbance_v4_0_SH3
TheDarkWraith_Ship_Plane_Fire_Damage_v1_4_SH3
Torpedo_HAHD_1024_GWX
Karle's_Crash_Dive_Mod
b25_Louder_Diesels_Louder
Aces' Multimod compatability fix release v1.3 public beta
Aces'_Multimod_Fix_v1.3_Johann_add-on
Aces' Modified Headphones
Ricks_GWX_Rec_Man_Final
Aces' St.Nazaire Super Pens v5.1 GWX Version
Aces' Radio Room Postcards v2
RL_E v2 Daily Double 0600_2300
Type IXb - The Wolf
Aces' Super Turms v6 for GWX
MaGui 3.4
Widescreen MaGui v3.4
optional-stopwatch with speed lines for Widescreen MaGui v3.4
optional-blue recmanual for Widescreen MaGui v3.4
Aces' Super Turms v6 Damo's Type 7 Atmospheric Interior lighting add-on
Aces' Super Turms v5.1+ GWX all U-Boats Bearded Crew On Deck Add On
Aces' Repositioned 105 mm Gun on Types 9b and 9c plus New Type 9b Deck Railings
Aces' Type 9 c-1 Super Turm (Turm Emblems Your Way Compat v3.2) Alt Grill + 3x MG-34 version for GWX
Aces' MaGUI v3.4 (Widescreen version) add-on v3 for Super Turms 5+ & Multimod compatability Fix v1.3

Thanks for the list Kongo Otto, I'll see about giving some or all of those a try. :S!:

Case: Corsair 650D Motherboard: AsRock Z77 Extreme4 PSU: Antec TruePower New 750 Blue CPU: Intel i5-2500K ( Socket 1155 )

CPU Cooler: ZalMan CNPS9500A LED GPU: EVGA GTX 580 MEM: 8 GB G.Skill PC12800 DDR3 1600
Soundcard: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Monitor: Samsung 2343 BWX 23"@ 2048 x 1152 OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

#24 LordNeuro_Srb

LordNeuro_Srb
  • LocationNovi Sad/Serbia

Posted 01 June 2012 - 20:06

SH3 with SH5 and theat would be a game i wonr. And by SH3 i mean gwx 3.0 gold. Ah SH3 theat was a days.

SH3

SH5

#25 cgjimeneza

cgjimeneza

Posted 01 June 2012 - 20:35

I reinstalled sh3 + gwx 3 a few days ago… what a blast from the past… I did use to play a lot of sh4, with RSRD (run silent, run deep megamod installed)…. have sh5 but have not installed as main puter went down and replacement is not up yet, took a lot of items (video card and the like) and put in old computer. will let you know… I intend to sh3 this sunday,

#26 Slick_Ace

Slick_Ace

Posted 01 June 2012 - 23:27

SH5…now there's a dog I wouldn't even try to train IMO. :P

UbiSoft's initial DRM killed it off for me, then after waiting for what, over a year? …to see if their "online-always" DRM would be lifted, I looked at a few YouTube videos to take a gander at what the game play would be like. Needless to say, I really wasn't that impressed. :zzz: Graphics are nice, but the layout wasn't right, for some reason.

I still haven't tried it, as it seems mods are essential to bring it up to par with SH4 ( which I like quite well ) and SH3 with GWX Gold is quite nice. 8-)

As for SH5 and me ever trying it? I swore it off long ago…to me, Ubi took the Silent Hunter series too far in their quest for security against piracy and trying new features, and "missed the boat" ( pun intended ). :lol:

Drm is removed long ago and sh5 has evolved much with all the great modders working on it, as sh3 did with mods. Sh5 modders have done so much with this game and the eyecandy is far above sh3 imo. I agree with you, sh3 gwx gold is very nice, but all the work the modders have put into sh5 and that your strongest argument against it was the drm, wich is removed, you should try it. And if you havent tried it yet cause mods are essential to bring it up to par I sertainly think mods are needed for sh3. But hey, opinions are like arses, its divided.
Some like the mother, some like the daughter.

#27 avlSteve

avlSteve

Posted 01 June 2012 - 23:48

It's really too bad that profits drive everything. I can picture in past centuries, an Asian blacksmith spending months forging, hammering, and crafting the best sword that yet exists, without much thought at all given to the profit margin. Oh, well. We can't stop progress.

:?

#28 242Sqn_Wolf

242Sqn_Wolf

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:53

It's really too bad that profits drive everything. I can picture in past centuries, an Asian blacksmith spending months forging, hammering, and crafting the best sword that yet exists, without much thought at all given to the profit margin. Oh, well. We can't stop progress.

:?

#29 Kongo_Otto

Kongo_Otto

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:30

Thanks for the list Kongo Otto, I'll see about giving some or all of those a try. :S!:

By the way, if using all of those mods, the loading screen gives you enough time to make yourself a coffee and a good Sandwich. :lol: :S!:
Complete list of mods i have in JGSME:

#30 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud
  • LocationWaleska, Georgia, USA

Posted 02 June 2012 - 18:44

G5fCmYF.png

NEW WINGS VIRTUAL FLIGHT TRAINING

"Hardcore Through Passion"

#31 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 02 June 2012 - 18:57

I have SH4, but can't find a single worthwhile tutorial for using manual TDC or manual map targeting so I haven't bothered with it.

#32 Foggy44

Foggy44

Posted 02 June 2012 - 22:20

I played Silent Hunter III religiously with the Grey Wolves overhaul mod and another mod that added hundreds of variants of real ships that existed in that time period and it was phenomenal. When I got Win 7, I could never get it to work right, so I had to put SH3 on a Win XP partition (dual boot). I eventually picked up 5, but it never felt the same as 3 with the overhaul did. 3 was very, very realistic with the overhaul mod and had more of a Das Boot sort of feel to it. I think one of my buddies told me that there was an overhaul mod that makes 5 feel/play more like 3 did, but I haven't tried to find it (too into the flight sims and Skyrim right now lol).

#33 karel7

karel7

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:25

i play it :P it's a really nice game :)

Gr,
karel

#34 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester
  • LocationRedlands, California

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:56

:o

As we'd say over at the modding forums for RFB, that's some serious "mod soup." :lol:

(And yes, I'm the same LukeFF who authored the RFB for SH4 mod).

#35 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester
  • LocationRedlands, California

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:58

It looks like a game of super simplified damage modeling compared to SH3 (even saw a few health bars)

Those "health bars" can be disabled. They're just a graphic representation of the ship damage modeling, which is the same in stock SH3, SH4, and SH5. It's a big reason why we spent so much time re-doing the ship damage modeling for RFB.

#36 Kongo_Otto

Kongo_Otto

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:02

:o

As we'd say over at the modding forums for RFB, that's some serious "mod soup." :lol:

(And yes, I'm the same LukeFF who authored the RFB for SH4 mod).

Well it works without problems for me.

I know who you are (great work you did over there at subsim) also still playing SH4 with RFB and RSRDC, which imho is the most underrated game from the Silent Hunter Franchise.

#37 King_Hrothgar

King_Hrothgar

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:16

Well, after a couple days of SH5 I have to say that my suspicions on simplified damage modeling over unmodded SH3 were confirmed. Yes the health bars were a realism option, but it was possible to sink ships via flooding in SH3 (no mods) while in SH5 it is not. I think the key difference is SH3 broke ships into sections and you could sink them by flooding just a section or two of them. In SH5 it seems to be an all or nothing approach, you must completely destroy all sections of the ship (not sure it even has sections from a damage modeling standpoint) in order for it to sink. A popular flotation mod mostly fixes this though not completely. I still see plenty of ships with half their deck awash (and burning despite it) happily carry on as if nothing had happened. :?

It was worth $20, we'll see if it has any lasting appeal for me.

#38 Roller_Rocken

Roller_Rocken

Posted 03 June 2012 - 13:23

Pretty good game)))

#39 PhotoFactor

PhotoFactor

Posted 03 June 2012 - 14:08

I spent many a nights on patrol with SH4 and your RFB mod. :S!:

#40 Slick_Ace

Slick_Ace

Posted 03 June 2012 - 18:14

Well, after a couple days of SH5 I have to say that my suspicions on simplified damage modeling over unmodded SH3 were confirmed. Yes the health bars were a realism option, but it was possible to sink ships via flooding in SH3 (no mods) while in SH5 it is not. I think the key difference is SH3 broke ships into sections and you could sink them by flooding just a section or two of them. In SH5 it seems to be an all or nothing approach, you must completely destroy all sections of the ship (not sure it even has sections from a damage modeling standpoint) in order for it to sink. A popular flotation mod mostly fixes this though not completely. I still see plenty of ships with half their deck awash (and burning despite it) happily carry on as if nothing had happened. :?

It was worth $20, we'll see if it has any lasting appeal for me.

Youve played sh5 a couple of days you say. Have you gotten the time to look at all the mods for sh5? Took me several days to read and search for mods i wanted, ended up with installing someones modpack and i must say it brings the game up to what it should have been at release. Im very pleased with it with a big modpack installed.

Happy hunting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users