Photo
- - - - -

Making rails, roads, and trenches. It works.

• Please log in to reply
279 replies to this topic

#121 Waxworks

Waxworks

Posted 24 May 2012 - 17:27

It might also be an opportunity to alter some of the textures. As it is the entire line looks like the Somme or Ypres area, though Ypres itself, which was desolate, is pristine and if you take the time to reduce cities like Ypres to ruins there is still much untouched foliage, making them look more like ancient temples in the tropics than Great War wastelands.

The Hindenburg Line was even less affected than the quiet sectors of the pre-Hindenburg front. It would be quite wrong to depict the Cambrai sector and south of it as a giant mudblot on the landscape, for instance- at least until after the 1917 offensive had finished. There were even French civilians living in villages in the German front lines before the battle, and one of the problems the Germans had was that Havrincourt Wood provided excellent cover for the build up. The concept of a grass-mud texture sounds appealing.

One vital element of the Hindenburg Line was the acres of wire deployed, partly to compensate for the unspoilt terrain- will we be able to have this? Again, as a texture rather than the 3d object, perhaps?

#122 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 24 May 2012 - 17:46

-bbob, if I recall correctly the minimap is a bit stretched vertically, but I may be wrong.

redcoat22, you have a good point. We don't know if devs are willing to extend the career mode for modified front-lines. I have no idea how much work is required on their side. On the other hand I strongly believe that before bothering devs with questions we must have something to show.

And to be honest I don't play career mode (tried several times but it just don't hook me, mostly because of AI) and thus I would have preferred having custom maps made as mods to be used in MP or user-made missions. Unfortunately this won't work as smooth as official maps because RoF has zero support for mod management. It is one of game's paradoxes: it can be modded to a great extent but it is not mod friendly at all - that ON/OFF switch is all we got and it does nothing if we speak about adding new content. For example, a completely new map may be added in "mods off" mode but game can't verify that each player has the same version and didn't altered it intentionally or not.
Maybe we should go another way and ask devs to add a proper mod management system into the game? Then we won't have to waste their time with such silly stuff like adding new maps… Just kidding :)

My opinion: if we want realistic goals let's focus on original intent - to make some railway stations (and maybe other road or trench related map features if anyone has anything to offer).

-Added after seeing a recent post by Rama-

Keeping things historical is another thing that bothers me, but in a bit of different sense. To put it simple: some players want everything to be 100% historically correct and some don't care at all. And of course there are a lot of steps in between, and there will never be an agreement of acceptable degree of correctness. That's a problem for community-made project.
Relaxing realism degree to some extent may be better for gameplay (and for limited resources), but it is easy to slip into fictional territory. And again threshold is diferrent for everyone.

#123 Rama

Rama

Posted 24 May 2012 - 18:48

Relaxing realism degree to some extent may be better for gameplay (and for limited resources)

For modding the French map, it's not absolutely necessary to relax the realism degree beyond the realism degree of the existing map.
Since the historical map reference does exist for this map (and I offered to provide it to anybody wanting to mod the map), it's not a big issue.

For new maps, it will be a problem. as for example for the Italian front map. Some may be ok with modelling forest, a road and rail road network, etc… in their modern shape and location… I just can't…. especially when I know that the historical reference does exist (In Instituto Geographico Militare), but that I don't have access to it since I have no time to go there to get the maps (and don't speak Italian).

I agree it's impossible to model a 100% historical map, not even 80%, and even much less. But when something is possible and the reference exists (it's just the matter to have someone leaving in the right location and wanting to help), then it would bother me tremendously not to use it.

#124 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 24 May 2012 - 21:11

Rama

We do not have the Height map for large ROF map to correct the landscape and also i was under the impression that the map was 2 maps connected by two files "map2.dat" and "map.dat"

Granted the last time i tried i did big mistake and made res 50m not 25m :P but like i mentioned i have broken ROF many many times :D

Yes it would be nice to correct landscape for roads and rail , i personally would love to fix the water heights on the original map because its been present for soo long.

I do have a editor that can correct hgt but the size of bmp files caught me off guard but now i know its 25m it could be done

#125 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 24 May 2012 - 21:15

i personally would love to fix the water heights on the original map because its been present for soo long.

Just for my knowledge, what's wrong with the stock map water height please?

#126 Waxworks

Waxworks

Posted 24 May 2012 - 23:13

The site I linked earlier in #42 has the entire Hindenburg Line trench map. However as I have most references for Cambrai, I would start there.

Time isn't an issue, it doesn't seem a long project to me. However I would like to be clear what software tools I would need?

#127 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:24

Hi Fifi,

In i think 8-10 locations the rivers or Lakes are not level and not looking like water should do on earth :)

The best example is this one below , which is a 100m - 150m hill with a lake that goes over the top of it :)

I found it on the first day of release of Rise of Flight and since then,, many more , granted they look correct when flying normal altitudes but i know its just a height correction to fix them and i know how to fix them but i dont have access to the hieght file before it was converted to a .eat file so they remain stuck in the corner of my eye :P

If the nomansland is going to be moved and the roads and rail corrections made then these water issue locatons should also be fixed / flattened especially the one above as its a wonderful location , scenic and picturesque.

I should of been a Beta Tester :) i nearly was once ,but it never happened.

#128 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:32

Thanks.
I guess only expert eyes could notice it, on our current map; and as you said, must be flying low and slow to notice.
Perso, never saw any water trouble.
Your lake on picture is…incredibly weird :lol:

#129 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:14

:) its also in a place the normal flight would not fly , which is why it remains , but maybe its because the correction could not happen , maybe the old original files are lost in archives of rof storage

from 1000m it looks fine , its only if you fly down the valley you see the depth of terrian and see things like this , in reality approx 20 locations maybe 30 if searching.
Normally its a river bank that the water travels up the river bank 10-20foot or a lake that has a small hill in centre or a lake with 2-3 shoreline hills the water runs up and stops near top or goes over the top totally.

Yes i fly low but most i found by looking with the Editor , at first i was trying to find the Memorial Monument , the easter egg locations , and looking for a nice place to have a airfield squadron HQ for joining cadets to run the checkflight mission to join oceanic wing group
Its still an excellent map , please i am not slamming the quality , truth is the beta tester could easy fly past this above picture and see it looking correct , from above , and i know the beta testers were given sectors to fly over and find problems , we are only human , and i would love to fix these things that got missed , i would help who ever takes up the challenge to re-do nomans-land because they will need help and people like these guru map makin mod makers , who have posted here , but before the height files are converted to .eat files so the game can see the new hieght files i would want to flatten out afew sections that just need a touch up :)

#130 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:40

Talking about rivers, would it be possible to give them more depth sometimes (meaning the shore level - it's often very flat to my taste) and a flow mouvment?
Actually, rivers have the same look/3D animation than the lakes. I guess it would need a complete new model rework to obtain a nice flow mouvment…

#131 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:44

Talking about rivers, would it be possible to give them more depth sometimes (meaning the shore level - it's often very flat to my taste) and a flow mouvment?
Actually, rivers have the same look/3D animation than the lakes. I guess it would need a complete new model rework to obtain a nice flow mouvment…

I agree with you are far as the depth issue goes. Currently, rivers are at the exact same height as their banks. Adding a little bit of a "depression" at the rivers' edge would give the landscape some depth.

#132 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:29

I do know what you mean , but limitations are something that can allow somethings but not others :)

Lets say you wanted a river bank 10foot high cliff edge on the right side of the river bank and a stone pebble shore line on the left river bank as the river turned SHAPE Right turn and 500m down river a small sand beach on the left side of the river as the river turns left.

The textures can be placed and would look great , this is DiFis Subrate texture style and he makes landscape have life !
The Cliff is the problem child :)

limitations are the angle of the cliff and hieght of the cliff
I dont know the exact hieght minimum off the top of my head but lets say its 10 foot squares for an example
This means a 10foot cliff can be made but not 15 foot only multiples of 10

granted this is an example the gradiant to vertical can not happen at present so a vertical cliff might look vertical but in truth it will be slightly off vertical if measured.
I think 1 pixel = 25mtr and if im only guessing here because i havent done it to test results but lets say you made flat map but 9 pixels are pure white and all around are pure black , but also the middle of your 9 pixels was also pure black = 0 sea level then you would have a square tower that looks vertical because of its hieght with a square hole inside and very shape edged top to the tower. not flat topped…

I think the hieght is from the middle of the 25m pixel and reacts with its 8 touching partners.

Saying all that :)

We have all seen the new water in the Rof Blog and my word its going to change things totally :)
So like alot of things sit back have fun and wait for the release because its worth the wait :)

#133 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:44

Thanks for those explanations! :)

#134 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:12

For modding the French map, it's not absolutely necessary to relax the realism degree beyond the realism degree of the existing map.
Since the historical map reference does exist for this map (and I offered to provide it to anybody wanting to mod the map), it's not a big issue.
Sure I understand that. But by looking at Amiens photos you sent me I've got a feeling that it won't be easy to follow such references for non-professionals. I can barely see rail tracks there and I know where to look, but for arbitrary places it may be even harder.
Though who said it should be easy? :)
On the other hand it still shouldn't take long to draw Amiens railyard for the game using those images - something like a couple of hours.

As for tools, I will try to take care of that - maybe I'll make something new or find a way to simplify the use of exiting ones.

#135 Rama

Rama

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:18

but maybe its because the correction could not happen , maybe the old original files are lost in archives of rof storage.
No, for the altitude map, the old original files (before cropping) still exist (have it on my HD), and the correction (flattening) can be made.
But then you will loose all flatening done by the map processor (flatenning for lakes and rivers, roads and railroads, aerodromes, etc….)
So the best if you want to make the corrections (flatening a few lakes with defaults), you should not start from the original file, but from the in-game height map.

The other option needs a work by the dev (using the original file were the lake with default has been flatened, then playing the map processor with this new height map, the water file, the roads and railroads files, etc…). It would be anyway usefull to run the map processor if you add some roads and railroads inside the no-man's-land….

As long the map SDK isn't released, modding a map for anything which isn't texture and 3D objects will be complicated…. not impossible, but complicated.
Except of course if AnKor85 develop a set of tools that will make eveyrhing easier…. that's why (I guess) he wants to know how much peoples have a strong will to do/mod maps.

#136 Happyhaddock

Happyhaddock
  • LocationCloud cuckoo land

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:30

I've no technical knowledge about such things and suspect that whilst it may be easy to setup if starting from grassroots, it may be much harder to implement into the exisiting software, and this may also be something that others have discussed before, I simply throw the idea into the metaphoprical melting pot for others who may consider it worth pursuing.

We often hear the complaint that "whilst a good idea it(whatever the latest good idea is) would hit system resources too much to be playable"

My experince has been that the map(s) in ROF tend to be much much larger than the area actually flown in any one session. If all sorts of system memory is occupied by landscape way beyond where you can see or will actually fly over would there be some sort of advntage of splitting the large map(s) into smaller chunks. At the start of any mission when loading it you just click the relvant small sections of map to construct the actual landscape available to fly in "in game"

Such an approch might allow more detail to be worked into each chunk of map, allow something like the new channel map to be built as extension sections to the exisiting map rather than soemthing new and separate, and allow those with weaker machines to concentrate only on the smaller parts of the full extensive map relvant to each mission, not run the full large map each time.

Probably loads of technical reasons why this can't be done and I appreciate that it's not just memory issues but GPU processing power that can be limiting if you build more detail into any one area of map but I thought I'd raise the issue for other more knowledgable types to either think about or shoot down in flames if it's obvious why this can't be implemeted.

#137 Rama

Rama

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:11

Probably loads of technical reasons why this can't be done and I appreciate that it's not just memory issues but GPU processing power that can be limiting if you build more detail into any one area of map but I thought I'd raise the issue for other more knowledgable types to either think about or shoot down in flames if it's obvious why this can't be implemeted.

To give my opinion shortly: the main reason why this can't be done isn't technical… it's the cost of the development of such a big change.

#138 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:57

Rama Wrote

As long the map SDK isn't released, modding a map for anything which isn't texture and 3D objects will be complicated…. not impossible, but complicated.
Except of course if AnKor85 develop a set of tools that will make eveyrhing easier…. that's why (I guess) he wants to know how much peoples have a strong will to do/mod maps.

AnKor85 just so you know i and Oceanic Wing would LOVE to have a tool program or convertor or what ever you call it :) Especially if this program made life as easy as unpacking gtp files or the program that we us for making water .eat files or making a height file eat file

To make vectors and drag n drop onto a icon like UnGtp unpacker would make us faint , but anything would help greatly.

I know we have been Learning slowly and step by step by making small verdun size maps and i am confident that now we can make roads and rail ,a TOOL would help and be very welcome.

ONE concerning thought is the NEW WATER we see in the BLOG on ROF.
If this new water is a totally different format then your Ankors convertor program would be wasted possibly, maybe not,,, but i would not want to waste your time ankor as i have no clue when the new water is released ,IF a SDK is going to be released for maps , but i see the new Water on the rof blog looks complicated and with different textures and shape models than i have ever seen before ,,,so please take this into account.

Saying all that , ive a desert map that all we need to is alot of substrate texturing , respectfully in DiFiS style and then we need to add Content. (objects)

Bushes , shrubbery , undergrowth , Buildings in desert styles and Palm Tree's

We have the export download plugin,we can export 3d model to mgm file format, but can not translate the instructions for .col files which it did not make in the export , maybe we do it wrongly ( probably) , but maybe its like road,rail,trench file rule ,and has to be placed in correct location first, who knows…. but maybe its something fun for the community to play for fun, in the future.

Granted Rama i know your feeling on fictional and i totally understand your view , i havent released because im a terrable critic :P and i still would only release if approval was ROF stamped. :) call me old fashioned :)

Oh and our desert maps would need linking to quick mission , which it is not yet as we dont know how.

Your tool Ankor85 would be used greatly :) if you make it.
I would use it.

Best Regards
Tony

#139 Rama

Rama

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:53

Granted Rama i know your feeling on fictional and i totally understand your view

Well… while I don't want to work on a fictionnal map, I have no problems with peoples/teams building some fictionnal maps (and players flying on them). The best lunch is when every guest gets its favorite dish.

#140 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 25 May 2012 - 14:17

3D objects will halt new maps for another year or more :)

#141 TheBlackPenguin

TheBlackPenguin

Posted 25 May 2012 - 14:31

3D objects will halt new maps for another year or more :)

Out of curiosity, what is the process to bring a 3D model in ROF? Nothing big.

#142 1PL-Lucas-1Esk

1PL-Lucas-1Esk
  • LocationPoland/Warsaw

Posted 25 May 2012 - 14:57

I agree (for the static objects) The one thing which is a bit tricky without proper knowledge is building a hitbox(es) and correct naming of the model parts.

As for the maps…

AnKor, just like Tony, I will be very grateful for some assistance with converting the SVG stuff into ini files and bin generation files. I have some test 50x50km map already done (you can see it on Sukhoi in Lucas's mods topic) but it is without rails and roads and I made it on the Verdun map. If you will find some free time in the future, I will be very excited to learn something more.

1PL-Lucas
CO of 1.Pułk Lotniczy
http://1pl.boo.pl

#143 Laser

Laser

Posted 25 May 2012 - 17:52

So, little lateral question, as i see people here seem to know to do at least some part of a 3d "third-party" object, anyone had any success/instructions so far? (I'd just want some old style pylons with checkers/stripes trapezoidal or rectangular base)

Attached File  miami-all-american-maneuvers.png   112.69KB   456 downloads

#144 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:56

Some people do know the answers of how to make and ADD 3d Objects

Problem is translation of Russian frustrates me i would like to drink vodka and speak with these people who have the answers :)

http://www.sukhoi.ru...ead.php?t=65771" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.sukhoi.ru...ead.php?t=65771

IDS and DiFiS i think are the guru batabase of answers

this example was done years ago , and from what i can gather from translating the posts they speak about keeping it simple ,, no point making a Cathedal as your first 3d model as it would be complicated and put you off making something in the future.

This is why we want to make "wooden box" or "Oil Drum" or Bush or shrub , or TREE , they all have collision model some have damage model…

All we need is instructions on how its done correctly.

Even in the post above ( sukhoi.ru/forum ) people went off on tangent idea's and did not learn the basic concept first , a good foundation is the "Wooden Table" the project in the future sits upon.

:)

#145 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:43

O_WolfPac, there's nothing to translate in that topic, absolutely no usable info. You've got everything right - Loft was asking to keep things simple while people were dreaming about making various objects like a dog in a kennel. IDS is banned on sukhoi forums (as I understand they have very peculiar administrative politics there and banning people left and right).

If you have something that needs translation - ask me, I'll try to help. Though 3D modelling is outside the scope of my interests… hmm… I was recently telling the same about Flash/ActionScript… hmmm… no, this time it is concrete: 3D is not my profile at all.

That picture with pylon is interesting for me because I've never seen such trees in the game. Something has changed since last year?

1PL-Lucas-ESzk, I've seen your Warsaw map, very impressive.
It will be interesting to add roads/rails on the map as well as inside the city. Then you'll be able to place ingame trains there:

#146 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:52

The instructions i refer towards are in the Download of edit_Stuff_rof.rar

http://www.sukhoi.ru...618#post1624618" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.sukhoi.ru...um/showthread.p … ost1624618

its mainly for how to make a tree which i understand the concept and by pure chance i can make the mgm.file but something is wrong still.

A wooden box or oil drum example step by step photo instruction

:) Wise to stay away from 3d modelling stuff its a shockin frustration.

#147 Laser

Laser

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:34

Some people do know the answers of how to make and ADD 3d Objects

Problem is translation of Russian frustrates me i would like to drink vodka and speak with these people who have the answers :)

http://www.sukhoi.ru...ead.php?t=65771" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.sukhoi.ru...ead.php?t=65771

IDS and DiFiS i think are the guru batabase of answers

this example was done years ago , and from what i can gather from translating the posts they speak about keeping it simple ,, no point making a Cathedal as your first 3d model as it would be complicated and put you off making something in the future.

This is why we want to make "wooden box" or "Oil Drum" or Bush or shrub , or TREE , they all have collision model some have damage model…

All we need is instructions on how its done correctly.

Even in the post above ( sukhoi.ru/forum ) people went off on tangent idea's and did not learn the basic concept first , a good foundation is the "Wooden Table" the project in the future sits upon.

:)

Ooo, i'd want that badly … with a windsock on top! :D

Thanks for info, WolfPac!

#148 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 26 May 2012 - 13:29

unfortunately i donot know where IDS hangs out on the internet to ask or retreive the race tower or how he introduced to the flight sim :)

I thought he was a =FB= squad member from his profile like but i guess not , after checking the FB website

Shame , he might not of known all the answer but he obviously knew some :)

Shame he was banned , can never contact.

#149 -bbob

-bbob

Posted 26 May 2012 - 14:54

Crap, I can only import objects to ROF using an exporter from max8? I stopped using that about 5 years ago in school, is it even still possible to get a hold of a copy? Additionally, will that plugin allow me to make collision meshes as well?

———————

To anyone who wants to learn how to create game assets, I would warmly recommend this website:
http://www.polycount.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.polycount.net

Especially the wiki is super useful.

#150 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:44

At present , the plugin seems to work correctly , it will create mgm file , but the .col file doesnot apprear with the mgm file so im doing something wrong but i havent a clue what yet , maybe it is making the col file but it saves to a location i havent found or the 3d model has to be placed in a certain location before exporting for it to work correctly

one day :)

#151 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:56

O_

That picture with pylon is interesting for me because I've never seen such trees in the game. Something has changed since last year?

No, these are standard pine trees, but you will only see them in the Verdun/ Metz area.

#152 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 28 May 2012 - 19:27

Oh, I see. I rarely fly there :)

I've started putting together a workflow that will allow to rebuild roads for the main map, but still can't decide if I want to reuse official tools or make my own. Both approaches has advantages and disadvantages – I can make something more flexible and easier to use, but I think that initially it may be better to stick with what we have and don't reinvent the wheel.

I have already extracted SVG for road data. Then I can extract height and rivers as bitmap files compatible with official tools. Then it will be possible to edit and rebuild official maps using these sources. By the way, uncompressed river data for main map has dimensions of 38400*28800 pixels (10m/px) and to use with official tools it should be split into 108 files 3200*3200px each.

And even if we are going to edit roads we still need river data because of bridges. Without special processing those SVG files that I've extracted will produce roads spanning across rivers.

About file size - as WolfPac said road binaries are 150 Mb, but that's not all - there are also road pathfinding binaries, thus full road+rails+trenches data for main map is 217 M

#153 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:29

Hello :)

In the Landtexturequality folder

What information is held in the .fsc files
These files have to be edited if no-mans-land is moved ( i think ) , but if i open them in notepad or notepad++ they do not look like the bin file format.

What do they do ?

#154 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:14

FSC files control trees placement on each carpet tile. Though I still don't know how trees are removed from the no-mans land.

There's ForestCalc.exe utility (in edit_stuff_rof.rar) that generates those fsc files from bitmaps but I haven't yet played with it and can't tell how to use it.

According to docs you need to use alpha channel on carpet texture to specify where the trees are: full alpha means trees, transparent means no trees (by the way, I have yet to see if that alpha is really used ingame).
Then extract alpha channel into monochrome bmp file with the same name as carpet texture.
Then use ForestCalc.exe, keep parametes as is, specify your new bmp as "Mask texture" and you also need WDS file for "Plant layout". I think I've seen woods.wds file in graphics\landscape when extracting GTP archives.

But I haven't tried this process myself and can't tell if it works.

#155 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:51

Hi AnKor :)

i worked out how to control the alpha trees that are on the carpet cards

on the above photo i re-textured ONE tile so you can see the tile easier.
I made the carpet tile Black

The trees that are on this tile above are not on the forest map bmp file ,they are the carpet tile ALPHA trees
I did have issues with editing these trees but since then i have been able to remove them by editing the alpha channel

There is another way to remove the trees but its abit hard to explain , by swapping and renaming files but you cant add trees that way :)

I was wondering if the fsc file contained any other information
the reason is the black tile above still has a textured pattern on the tile and im looking to change this texture , but im having a hard time finding the texture

was wonderiing if its hidden within the fsc , guess not :P

#156 ROSS_DiFiS

ROSS_DiFiS

Posted 01 June 2012 - 13:52

rof_folder\data\graphics\landscape\landtexturesquality\amiens01.fsc - trees
rof_folder\data\graphics\landscape\landtexturesquality\amiens01.dds - carpet

You need to genetate the new fsc for eath part of carpet.

#157 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:50

Hello DiFiS
Yes best way is make new fsc

or

re-name stquentin03.fsc
Retexture & rename stquentin03.dds

But this does not add new tree , only remove.

#158 Waxworks

Waxworks

Posted 13 June 2012 - 16:48

Has there been any further progress with this venture? It does seem very desirable to have improved stations and the Hindenburg Line in the game, and Jason has offered support if the project is properly organised, yet the discussion seems to have gone quiet.

I'm happy to help with research and I can add villages or ruin existing towns and villages. Railyard or trench creation would be dependent on me having access to the necessary tools. From what I understand, the Hindenburg Line should not be as evident as the 'mud' along much of its length, though it was characterised by its vast swathes of wire, I'm not sure how that could best be represented in game.

#159 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 13 June 2012 - 23:06

waxwork , i dont know about the others here but for me i have hit another problem regarding roads not tested railways to see if its the same problem

With the roads if i place a road and it crosses the path of a river i get a wierd issue , the AI vehicle stops turns round and runs away :) it did not see the bridge …. very odd maybe i did something wrong so im re-doing the road structure to see if i got a angle wrong somewhere but till present i have checked most junctions and all seem correct

Its all a learning curve and just like the rof mission editor its complicated but gets easier with time and alot of trial and errors :P

Ref ..Hindenburg line ,

I am not a historian and im no guru with map making
I have looked at the links but it all looks confusing and if you move the front line in one location it may as well be moved in other locations aswell ,,, unless we learn on the easier map = verdun map 5x5DF.

How much did the front line move on the verdun map ?

Main reason i ask is the rof large map is one hell of a large map , if the hindenburg line is just lets say 5-15km of front line then to make that correction would take time but people would complain that we have a historical front line of only 5-15km and the rest of the frontlines not true :) about 200km of it :)

For the creator or group to achieve the move and then get a slap down from critics would be heartbreakin and offputting.

Maybe Verdun map is a better option as its a easier map to work on because of size and file amounts and it also is a smaller more detailed part of the larger rof map..

Once completed and a fresh new frontline made for a different time frame in the ww period the files can in a way be used to update the large rof map in theory but that would be again a big task but only copy n pasting filesand also seperate project

#160 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:32

Thanks guys for discussing this out in the open. The more of us that can pick up the techniques the better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users