Photo
- - - - -

Mod: Better overcast clouds (when viewed from above)

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 15 May 2012 - 18:26

I've made a mod to get (slightly) better view of overcast clouds from above.
Basically I've just added some random details and processed original texture in a different way but in my opinion the result looks better than the original:
Attached File  2012_5_6__20_4_58.jpg   178.62KB   1592 downloads
Unfortunately when you get down to the cloud layer it is not very convincing anyway but still a bit better.

Attached are two archives.
One for JSGME users (JSGME.exe is not included, get it here Mod Compilation (with JSGME organization!) it is a nice tool to install/uninstall various mods)
Attached File  JSGMEMODS.zip   304.04KB   155 downloads

And one for manual installation.
Attached File  Manual Install.zip   304.44KB   79 downloads

Just download any one (no need for both) of these archives and extract it right into your Rise Of Flight folder (not into the "data" subfolder).

Of course "Modifications On" checkbox is required.
I intentionally do not post comparison screenshots, because I want you to tell me if this mod really makes overcast better than the original :)

#2 elephant

elephant

Posted 15 May 2012 - 19:58

Thanks, AnKor85! :D

:S!:

#3 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 15 May 2012 - 20:22

Your posted picture looks very convincing, very real, but can you provide a close up just for the sake of argument?

#4 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 15 May 2012 - 20:29

Looks good!

#5 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:11

This is a closeup:
Attached File  2012_5_6__20_9_15.jpg   111.21KB   1588 downloads
I think it is better than the original, but still looks too solid.
At least there should be less "layered stripes" (not sure how to call them) that appear when overcast is viewed from certain angles.

Forgot to mention: I didn't change a size of the texture so this mod shouldn't affect framerates at all.

#6 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:38

I really want that devs could improve the overcast clouds in ROF.
The upper level, as you did, but mainly making random size holes in it sometimes.
Easier to climb through, and for navigation could help as well :)

#7 catchov

catchov

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:03

Gaaaaa! :x I can't see your images AnKor. :cry:

#8 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:08

Climbing through the overcast is such a bittersweet experience in RoF. It's so rewarding when you finally punch through the gloom and into the bright sunlight, but at the same time a little disappointing because the clouds look so stripey. I'll enjoy giving this mod a try. Thanks for sharing it with the rst of us!

#9 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:21

Updated images, now should be ok.
I hope if many people like this mod we can ask devs to add it into the game. As I said it is based on the original one and exactly of the same size, so there shouldn't be any technical problems.
I, personally, don't fly with mods on because I play multiplayer more often than singleplayer.

=Fifi=, I can try to make a separate mod with more holes in the overcast layer, but I'm not sure if it is realistic. Also I'm not sure how RoF renders them so it may look odd. Can anyone show a photo for overcast with noticeable holes?

Climbing through the overcast is such a bittersweet experience in RoF. It's so rewarding when you finally punch through the gloom and into the bright sunlight, but at the same time a little disappointing because the clouds look so stripey.
Exactly! When I did it for the very first time my first though was "wow, I've made it!" immediately followed by "wtf is this?!"

#10 catchov

catchov

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:28

Thanks for the updated pics AnKor85. Unfortunately in close up they still look too fuzzy and stripey to me. The long shot looks a bit nicer though. :)

#11 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:35

One thing to note is that the "niceness" of the overcast (especially up close) depends on it thickness. The thicker the layer the worse it looks with more noticeable stripes. I don't remember right now, but I think my pictures were made with 300m layer, mission editor defaults to 600m which is way too much IMO, and I don't know values for QMB.

#12 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:18

Reviving my old thread :)

I recently discovered that it is possible to make mods for shaders in ROF (for those who don't know - shaders are tiny programs controlling how things are drawn on the screen).
So I decided to give another shot to overcast layer:
Attached File  overcast1.jpg   179.97KB   472 downloads
Attached File  overcast2.jpg   227.54KB   472 downloads
What do you think?

Here is the JSGME-ready version of this mod:
Attached File  Overcast shader - JSGME.zip   2.51KB   51 downloads

Should look best when used together with my overcast mod from the first page.
You may notice new bigger "holes" in the cloud layer, compared to original. Maybe there are too many of them now - I can reduce the amount if needed, but what is worse is when you dive into such hole you will still get white fog around you as if there were dense clouds and this fog cannot be removed.

Consider it an "alpha" version, I suspect it may negatively affect performance on some lower-end GPUs. I may fine-tune it later.

Comments are welcome, as always :)

#13 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:38

Downloading, will check this out with great interest. Thank you very much! :S!:

#14 catchov

catchov

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:41

Reviving my old thread :)

I recently discovered that it is possible to make mods for shaders in ROF (for those who don't know - shaders are tiny programs controlling how things are drawn on the screen).
So I decided to give another shot to overcast layer:

What do you think?

Hmmmm balloons … clouds ….. balloons …. clouds …. Ok, the clouds win! :) Sorcerer. ;)

but what is worse is when you dive into such hole you will still get white fog around you as if there were dense clouds and this fog cannot be removed.

This has always annoyed me. Pity there seems no way around it. :cry:

#15 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:02

Sorcerer. ;)
Those shaders are really kind of magic :)

Curiously the difference between original overcast and this one is literally a couple lines of code.
Technically I just added details by superimposing the same cloud texture but scaled it down to 1/8th and altered the formula for transparency from linear to power function.
Took me about an hour to experiment with various approaches to get this far.

As I said there may be just too many cloud holes - so many it doesn't look like overcast, but it is easy to get rid of them. I just need your opinions.

but what is worse is when you dive into such hole you will still get white fog around you as if there were dense clouds and this fog cannot be removed.
This has always annoyed me. Pity there seems no way around it. :cry:
Yeah, I would love to get it right too, but alas.

#16 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:34

Just gave it a good shake. I think if there were less holes it would be good. Smoothing the lines out is great, but for me I think I might like the cloud layer to be more dense. The perma fog only seems more apparent otherwise. Very clever bit of experimenting though. ;)

#17 actionjoe

actionjoe
  • LocationNord, France.

Posted 23 November 2012 - 21:43

Very nice, I like it! Thanks!

#18 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:07

Very nice work, sorry to be late with the praise Ankor85!

#19 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:36

This definitely looks promising, though I tend to agree that fewer holes would be better. Given the slow rate of climb in these birds I hardly ever make it up (or down) through the clouds safely anyway, and if the holes aren't really holes from the pilot's in-cockpit perspective then this won't be of much practical use to me personally in trying to penetrate the overcast, but it would still look better and is a very neat piece of work.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#20 Joker_BR

Joker_BR

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:04

I don't really think that pilots from that era darted through clouds to get to the upper deck with zero visibility. It would be too risky to loose orientation and spin down (as normally happens to me inside the clouds).
If however we can get some holes, then it is another history. Better yet if holes could be "random", i.e., open and close during few minutes or so, forcing a pilot to judge well his move (as in RL).
Also agree that holes should be more sparse.
Cheers.

#21 Der.Mo

Der.Mo

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:33

I ABSOLUTELY can not understand why Avimimus` "Better Clouds"-Mod is totally forgotten..
Beside the AI mod it´s a must have as it changes the look and the realism of RoF dramatically.
THis mod here "only" changes the impression from above, but Avimimus`mod gives you realistic clouds, never would play without it again

#22 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:45

I ABSOLUTELY can not understand why Avimimus` "Better Clouds"-Mod is totally forgotten..
Beside the AI mod it´s a must have as it changes the look and the realism of RoF dramatically.
THis mod here "only" changes the impression from above, but Avimimus`mod gives you realistic clouds, never would play without it again

I remember using and being fairly pleased with that mod a long time ago - but I can't find it on my PC any more (guess it got lost in one of my PC upgrades along the way :( ) Is there a version that still works well with the latest RoF update?

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#23 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:53

I'd be interested in that too.

#24 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:25

A forum search only shows one post where friend Avimimus uttered the word "cloud" :?

#25 ROSS_DiFiS

ROSS_DiFiS

Posted 13 December 2012 - 14:54

may be this?

#26 Der.Mo

Der.Mo

Posted 13 December 2012 - 23:06

Arrrg, DiFiS i´m so sorry!
Of course this mod is made by you, don´t know why i mixed the names :(

Here is the JSGME-ready mod link (Just the clouds without generator):
Cloud MOD. Heavy clouds.

#27 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 15 December 2012 - 15:45

DerMo,

It's a beautiful mod, but my gpu can't handle it well. Clouds are the one thing that drops my fps into the 30s.

#28 Der.Mo

Der.Mo

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:43

Really? Hmm..i have an old ATI Radeon 4850, no problems here!
But 30fps is still good imo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users