Photo
- - - - -

The Warthog is a plague

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 11 June 2012 - 17:33

okay sure stick extension reportedly eliminates the problem, trying removing the extension and using it stock.

I'm not sure what special grease you're referring to, Taipan suggested some kind which I was unable to find and gave up. I also tried a grease recommended by the guys on the Warthog forums but the grease simply wears off of the shafts after a couple hours of use and would practically require you to reclean and regrease the thing on an hourly basis.

Delamination as I understand it happens because the O-ring in the stick has a layer of rubber and then a thin, smooth layer of rubber on top of that and it's held in place by a sticky adhesive, for me what happened was that thin layer of rubber started to peel off and the entire O-ring came out of the stick and started causing issues for me until I just took it out.

To fix this, as Pirato suggested to me you can buy a PTFE ring custom made or make your own, which I did and it works well. But that's another 10$ to fix a design flaw presented by Thrustmaster.

In my experience with it and all the threads on other forums talking about all the same issues I have, I can't say it's worth 450-500$.

#42 winger2

winger2

Posted 16 June 2012 - 19:31

okay sure stick extension reportedly eliminates the problem, trying removing the extension and using it stock.

I'm not sure what special grease you're referring to, Taipan suggested some kind which I was unable to find and gave up. I also tried a grease recommended by the guys on the Warthog forums but the grease simply wears off of the shafts after a couple hours of use and would practically require you to reclean and regrease the thing on an hourly basis.

Delamination as I understand it happens because the O-ring in the stick has a layer of rubber and then a thin, smooth layer of rubber on top of that and it's held in place by a sticky adhesive, for me what happened was that thin layer of rubber started to peel off and the entire O-ring came out of the stick and started causing issues for me until I just took it out.

To fix this, as Pirato suggested to me you can buy a PTFE ring custom made or make your own, which I did and it works well. But that's another 10$ to fix a design flaw presented by Thrustmaster.

In my experience with it and all the threads on other forums talking about all the same issues I have, I can't say it's worth 450-500$.

Ah yes. I had that oring come off too. I simply just pulled it out completely and have no further issues since then.

I agree this could have been planned better but still. The performance opf the stick is flawless and much above everything i know up until today. Maybe ill buy the Centermountstiick from Schreinerschmidt some day. VERY expensive for onaly a stick but i looks pretty good.

Winger

#43 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 16 June 2012 - 23:31

Yeah if not for the stiction issue I would have been fine with it.

#44 MattM

MattM

Posted 17 June 2012 - 13:48

I have it for 19 months now and I'm very happy with it. Got rid of the o-ring aswell and I did something to lessen the strength of the main spring (can't remember anymore :lol: ).

Without any modifications or stick extension, I don't think it will work for WW1 or 2 flightsims that well.

#45 O_Taipan

O_Taipan

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:39

So you guys are actually running it without any O-ring at all?

Doesn't it get sloppy around the centre then?

#46 MattM

MattM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:13

It was very sloppy when the O-Ring lost shape (and later on, ripped apart…), but without O-Ring, it's not sloppy at all.

#47 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:41

Taking the O-ring out doesn't make it sloppy it just makes the center really rigid and I imagine it'll ruin your stick eventually because you'll have plastic rubbing against metal.

#48 Proccy

Proccy

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:57

:S!: You should have bought a saitek x65 pro guys :lol: no moving parts to wear out.Must say its the Best stick Ive owned when it works in rof,Dont have the same issues in FSX etc It been a lot better lately but still lose all my settings every now and then, which is a pain in the ass as I have to reset everything again.. It seem the more you pay the more issues we get. Could have bought a lot of cheapies for the money. :)Hope you get it sorted.

By the way have you guys tried a silicon spray it may solve your problem I think its better than grease as it stays slippery and does not cause such a mess.

Lieut. (A./Capt.) Andrew Weatherby Beauchamp-Proctor, D.S.O., M.C., D.F.C., No. 84 Sqn., R.A. Force.

#49 vonKachelofen

vonKachelofen

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:48

Taking the O-ring out doesn't make it sloppy it just makes the center really rigid and I imagine it'll ruin your stick eventually because you'll have plastic rubbing against metal.

It doesnt harm in any way. Mines out since more than half a year now and i recently regreased and there was no problem at all.

#50 MattM

MattM

Posted 25 June 2012 - 20:16

It's also not plastic rubbing against metal, but plastic rubbing against plastic.

#51 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 27 June 2012 - 19:25

It's also not plastic rubbing against metal, but plastic rubbing against plastic.

Wrong, there's a metal ring in there.

#52 O_Taipan

O_Taipan

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:24

Well I had a custom O-ring in, and it was very stiff in the center detent.

So I've tried removing it like you guys have done, and I actually like it alot more with the O-ring out - thanks!

Even if there is some wear, it feels good like this so I'm leaving the O-ring out. If you're really worried about wear, have a look inside your throttle and look at all the plastic shavings from the friction :)

#53 ronin516

ronin516

Posted 30 December 2013 - 23:48

I Made a video with the BEST fix for the warthog. I have never felt anything smoother now. I have tried a few different things. And this fixes the issues with the hotas warthog. It goes into detail on complete disassembly.
here it is :D —> https://www.youtube....h?v=w6LX4GMJIj4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">

#54 Pointy

Pointy

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:06

Far out, I had no idea these things had so many problems, shame for such an awesome device.

Mine is still going strong as per day 1 (close to a year now?), slight stiction now and again but it hasn't bothered me as the weight of the stick moves past it pretty easily without any flight hindrance, so I must have been the lucky one….lol.
If this one dies I will definitely grab another one/seek repair, I seriously couldn't go back to plastic.

Best of luck with your problems tho guys.

#55 Proccy

Proccy

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:53

I have a Saitek x65 pro. Best joystick Ive ever owned but it hates Rof for some reason. Does not stay calibrated in rof have to keep adjusting the curves 5 6 time in each flight. Do the curves move joystick and they change again, reset curse curve etc etc. Works perfectly in all other games. Drives me nuts, not that im not already nuts :lol:

Lieut. (A./Capt.) Andrew Weatherby Beauchamp-Proctor, D.S.O., M.C., D.F.C., No. 84 Sqn., R.A. Force.

#56 Pointy

Pointy

Posted 06 February 2014 - 13:39

Fantastic vid ronin, if my stiction gets worse I will be definitely following your advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users