Photo
- - - - -

New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Add FXAA

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#121 neuro

neuro

Posted 28 April 2012 - 19:29

Manged to greatly reduce stuttering around clouds at a fairly low price in terms of visual quality

In case of micro-stuttering around clouds
try using the settings from my latest post, except for the following changes:

ignore the SLI section if you're not running SLI
Also, the SLI settings are for 2 video cards. If you have 3 or more, change the settings to reflect that

These changes will reduce micro stuttering but in some case they may affect visual quality (not a lot, anyway). You'll have to experiment to find the 'sweet spot' for your system.

#122 der_zahn

der_zahn

Posted 28 April 2012 - 20:35

That kinda stinks that you have all that GPU power and available memory and still have to turn settings down to get it to run better.

What kind of Max GPU usage are you getting? I checked mine today with very similar settings except I have my shadows on special medium and 8x on the AA, the memory usage was at 84%. The GPU usage was lower than I expected, it never went over 41% GPU usage according to Evga precision. Cpu usage was around 30% max as well.

I really wish one of the Devs would stop by these types of threads and at least try to explain why we have to lower settings to get the game to run smoother or gain a few FPS when we have so much power left unused.

#123 neuro

neuro

Posted 28 April 2012 - 21:21

The problem is SLI. I should never have gotten that second video card. I should have upgraded to a series 500 card instead of adding a second 460.
I guess I could try dumping TripleHead2Go and use the 2x 460s for nVidia surround. Maybe that will work better…

I can still run with all settings maxes out in most cases, except *some* MP servers, and *some* maps on other servers, where I get microstuttering. I guess I could run maxed out and just jump out when one of those nasty maps is on (some users do so), or restart the game on lower settings when needed… but im basically lazy, so I prefer being able to play on any servers at any time, even if that means slightly lower settings.

Anyways, the anti-stuttering changes do affect quality, but it's nothing dramatic. I have to pay attention to notice some slight difference, but the overall perceived quality is pretty much the same.

#124 Fawlty

Fawlty
  • LocationVictoria B.C.

Posted 03 May 2012 - 23:37

To make life easy for myself,
Running a intel 930 cpu at 3.5 with 12g of ram and a gtx 580 single monitor at 1920 X 1080

Can you give me the optimal setup for this running the 301.24 drivers

Disregard my signature, every time I try to change it I get no where.

Thanks
OF_Fawlty

#125 neuro

neuro

Posted 04 May 2012 - 00:04

If you have enough video RAM in your 580 (you probably do), max out all the RoF settings.

In nVidia Inspector (or nVidia Control Panel), set everything to default, except for:

- Texture Filtering: Negative LOD BIAS = Clamp
- Antialiasing: Transparency Multisampling = Enabled

That should do the trick.
So simple?
Yes.
All that testing and tweaking is mostly because of SLI. Longs story short, SLI is harder to set up. As long as you have a single GPU those two tweaks should be enough. The first one (neg. lod bias) makes water look good, i.e. blue with reflections. The default setting makes water look brownish and with little or no reflection. The second of those settings (antialiasing transparency multisampling) is to avoid that the 'grill' on German guns 'disappear'.

So you know what to look for. Water (lake map is good for that) should look blue with plenty of reflections. The LOD bias setting should be 'clamp'.
Then, fly a German A/C with guns well in sight, like the Dr1. How do the heat protection 'grill' look? Using default settings it tends to disappear as you zoom out. For me, setting 'antialiasing transparency multisampling' solves the problem. Some users need to set 'transparency antialiasing: 2x sparse grid supersampling' <=this isn't available in nVidia control panel. Must use Inspector to set it.

#126 Fawlty

Fawlty
  • LocationVictoria B.C.

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:50

Well that's easy,
Previous to this driver I also had transparency antialiasing: 2x sparse grid supersampling in inspector.
So you figure it's not needed

Thanks for the info neuro

#127 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:52

I also had transparency antialiasing: 2x sparse grid supersampling in inspector.

That's quite good to get rid of any shimmering.
I found X4 is a bit too much. X2 is nice rendering.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users