Photo
- - - - -

New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Add FXAA

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#81 SYN_Mars

SYN_Mars

Posted 13 April 2012 - 16:39

Using the alt-prtscr method here are my FXAA shots with post effects using the config I showed earlier but with one important exception that these drivers allow you to do: a resolution of 2560x1440 downsampled to my monitors 1920x1080 native resolution (makes reading the chat a bit hard ;-)). Essentially this is brute force supersampling using the scaling features of the nvidia gpus to scale images for use on TV's etc.

The resolution is created using the method in this youtube vid:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=tLPBOvrA1xQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">

No FXAA and post effects on (notice the mono-high sun):
Attached File  nofxaa1.png   2.94MB   305 downloads
Attached File  nofxaa2.png   2.47MB   305 downloads

FXAA and post effects on:
Attached File  fxaa1.png   3.87MB   305 downloads
Attached File  fxaa3.png   3.03MB   305 downloads

It not particuarly apparent from the screen shots but with FXAA, in the second shot with the sun in view the landscape shimmer is less as FXAA is able to alias it. In the first shot you can see from the oncoming fokkers that FXAA works best on angled edges and not horizontal.

My Settings:

Attached File  fxaa26560x1440.PNG   167.25KB   305 downloads

Edit: Just noticed I had texture quality on performance for those shots so they don't look as sharp as they might :-).

#82 Rivet

Rivet

Posted 13 April 2012 - 16:54

Panthercules, whatever works for you is good. No-ones rig is identical and what works for some may not work for others. It's always been thus.

I've settled on FXAA + 4xAA via Rof's launcher. V-sync enabled in the ROF launcher too. I get great FPS, the game runs smooth as milk and no jaggies, or shimmering. In fact the game for me seems to run smoother than before.

By "speculation" on the 570 cards do you mean my comments? If so they can be disregarded now. It was just a coincidence I noted some posts ago.

#83 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 13 April 2012 - 17:10

Panthercules, whatever works for you is good. No-ones rig is identical and what works for some may not work for others. It's always been thus.

I've settled on FXAA + 4xAA via Rof's launcher. V-sync enabled in the ROF launcher too. I get great FPS, the game runs smooth as milk and no jaggies, or shimmering. In fact the game for me seems to run smoother than before.

By "speculation" on the 570 cards do you mean my comments? If so they can be disregarded now. It was just a coincidence I noted some posts ago.

Yeah - I know it must be frustrating to the devs that there are so many variables and some folks can see the great work they've done looking wonderful and some folks are posting problems about how the very same work by the devs looks or works sub-optimally for them. These PC platforms are so complicated - it's no wonder console gaming has such a large following by comparison.

As to the 570 "speculation" I mentioned, I thought I saw at least a couple of folks with 570 cards posting about how maybe there was a difference between those cards and the 4xx series cards others were seeing results on, so it got me curious to try it again on my 570. I do think FXAA probably was working on my 570 with post effects on, but since the shimmering was still there it didn't really matter to me whether the FXAA wasn't working or just wasn't eliminating the shimmering - either way, I have to go back to the SSAA because I can't stand to fly with that shimmering going on.

But yes, I'm really glad there are lots of solutions/options out there so at least people have a chance to find one that works for their rig, since there doesn't seem to be a one-size-fits-all solution for everybody.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#84 Rivet

Rivet

Posted 13 April 2012 - 17:54

Yeah - I know it must be frustrating to the devs that there are so many variables and some folks can see the great work they've done looking wonderful and some folks are posting problems about how the very same work by the devs looks or works sub-optimally for them. These PC platforms are so complicated - it's no wonder console gaming has such a large following by comparison.

Many a true word there. Complicated and varied as PC's are, I'd still pick them over consoles any day. I've played console ported games (recent ones too) and the graphics whilst looking decent enough superficially, look decidedly second rate on closer inspection, compared to those a decent PC gaming rig can push out.

With consoles you're stuck with what you get I suppose. The variables inherent with PC's means there are a whole stack of manufacturer's or third party utilities that spring up to enable us to get the best out of our myriad different rigs/setups etc. and that my friend, is all good.

I still wouldn't like to be a developer trying to please all comers - it would drive me nuts. Hat's off to them.

:S!:

#85 Hellbender

Hellbender
  • LocationMadrid, Spain (originally Brussels, Belgium)

Posted 13 April 2012 - 23:46

Well, after trying it out in multiplayer I'm back on 4x AA, no FXAA.

It looks great, but combining the two really does cause quite a bit of a performance hit during dogfights. Then there was a much bigger problem someone already mentioned before: I couldn't spot planes quite as early as I can without FXAA. So there's the killer for me.

I'm keeping these drivers, though, I'll be using FXAA to complement regular AA in other games where spotting tiny dots from miles away isn't a matter of life and death.

J5_Hellbender

#86 der_zahn

der_zahn

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:54

Very nice advice from all, Thanks for the tips. I went with 8X AA FXAA on after seeing as it had zero impact on how my game ran, Looks nicer than plain 8X AA too. I am going to stick to the ROF version of Vsync as well. That adaptive Vsync is useless as far as I am concerned. Vsync off in game and that enabled via Nvidia control panel and all I saw was tearing no matter what setting it was at. Adaptive or Adaptive(half refresh rate).

Rivit, I noticed on just about every screenshot you posted that EVGA Precision X showed pretty much the exact same frame rate no matter what settings were listed on the pic. Actually the one with the worst fps was the 2XAA no FXAA and post effects on. Does it change that much when you get the plane into the air?

What gets me though is why anyone with a really good graphics card such as the 570 and higher should have to sacrifice anything in order to get the game to run "smoother". My 560TI never uses more than 60% GPU and 40% CPU no matter what settings I use. I have had the vram usage up to 98% and as low as 20% and never see a difference in how the game runs, it just looks uglier with the lower settings. It seems to me that it actually runs better with higher settings to be honest.

I've asked this "Why such low GPU and CPU usage but high Vram" question a few times but the Devs never respond.

#87 BuddyWoof

BuddyWoof

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:44

If I have FXAA on, what do I set Nvidia Antialiasing mode to? Is it "application controlled", "enhance the application setting", "override application setting", or "off"? TY.

#88 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:57

What gets me though is why anyone with a really good graphics card such as the 570 and higher should have to sacrifice anything in order to get the game to run "smoother". My 560TI never uses more than 60% GPU and 40% CPU no matter what settings I use. I have had the vram usage up to 98% and as low as 20% and never see a difference in how the game runs, it just looks uglier with the lower settings. It seems to me that it actually runs better with higher settings to be honest.

As a user of a 570 card I'm a little puzzled by that as well. I see folks talking about running RoF easily with settings maxed out on lesser cards, but when I get my settings almost maxed out (I don't like the way max reflections look so I stop at high, and I vacillate between grass at medium or high and forests at max or just very far, and I don't like the way HDR or bloom looks so the only post effects I use are the raindrops, which I really like), I get about a 78% RoF "video memory usage" level and I hover around only about 30-35 FPS on most missions (with some drops into the high 20s over the front) - it looks great and runs pretty smooth at those settings (other than the occasional spawn freeze, which I'm still struggling to reduce if not eliminate), but the FPS are borderline and I do keep wondering why they seem to be rather low under the circumstances. (I know that the 2x SSAA is depressing my FPS levels somewhat, but it's the only way I've been able to eliminate the shimmering that I hate so I have to use it, and tests with it off haven't really boosted my FPS all that much as it turns out.)

I too have played around with dropping settings (down to a video memory usage level of about 35%), but have never really seen a significant enough performance/FPS boost to warrant the loss of visual quality, so I'm back to running at the 78% almost-maxed level again lately.

All in all, I'm happy with the results - RoF is gorgeous and a blast to fly around in. But, I must confess that a bit of FPS-envy keeps creeping in from time to time, especially every time they release a new driver and it spawns a bunch of posts by people seeing noticeable increases in performance.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960

#89 SYN_Mars

SYN_Mars

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:38

Viks post in this thread helped me determine which were the largest GPU hits:

What is fps hungry in rof?

I have reflections off as they cause the most strain on the fps. I turn bloom on to compensate with no loss in fps.

#90 Hellbender

Hellbender

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:44

Panthercules, I believe many people with lesser systems report good framerates because they simply don't play demanding missions. It's easy to get steady 60fps if you're flying a quick mission with a single plane.

To tell you the truth, whenever I show RoF to someone, looks matter above all and the occasional dip to 30fps is fine on max settings (still no super sampling, though). For multiplayer, going below 60fps in a dogfight can be the difference between life and death. As such, I play with landscape on medium, shadows on medium, reflections on high instead of max and post effects off. The only eye candy I can't live without is AA, which I leave at 4x. In other words, I'm at 19%. I was hoping to add FXAA to that.

J5_Hellbender

#91 Eckhart

Eckhart

Posted 14 April 2012 - 18:41

If I have FXAA on, what do I set Nvidia Antialiasing mode to? Is it "application controlled", "enhance the application setting", "override application setting", or "off"? TY.
I use application controlled

#92 neuro

neuro

Posted 14 April 2012 - 21:01

Currently using the following settings on 2x GTX460/2GB SLI with 301.24 Beta drivers:

Changes are marked in red. Everything else is nVidia default.
In blue: you have to set 'max allowed frames' (bottom) before you set 'max prerendered frames = 0' (middle). Try the set the latter without setting the former first, will result in a setting that keeps switching back to '3' every time you set it to '0' (or anything lower than 3)

Still testing!
This configuration may (and probably will) change again.
As long as I don't post any update, assume it's working at least as well as it did with old settings.

FPS limiter is not set: if Vert Sync is doing its job, FPS will be limited to the monitor refresh rate, which in my case is 60.

If your monitor goes a lot faster (like 100, 120hz), you may want to set FPS limiter to half your refresh rate (set 50 if 100hz, set 60 if 120hz) =>NIWITA* Warning!<= Just taking guesses, here!

(NIWITA = No Idea What Im Talking About)

#93 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 14 April 2012 - 21:32

Check out GPU-Z.
Its sensors tab is a decent hardware monitor for video cards and shows/graphs how much memory your video card is using.

This may explain why some cards do better than others.
I've been doing some reading about 2gb, 3gb, and 4gb cards. Apparently anything more than 2gb is not really needed.

I found a couple of very telling posts about this…I'll clip one in here:

Standard MSAA modes are demanding on memory bandwidth (how fast you can write to / read from memory), not how much memory there is.

Worst case scenario since 4 GB requires larger chips which likely have higher defect rate, using them could cause nvidia to reduce the clock speeds or implement more error correction to get better yields and that would reduce performance rather than improve it. Best case scenario the performance would be identical when the game is not limited by the available texture memory.

#94 Eckhart

Eckhart

Posted 14 April 2012 - 21:43

Currently using the following settings on 2x GTX460/2GB SLI with 301.24 Beta drivers:

Changes are marked in red. Everything else is nVidia default.
In blue: you have to set 'max allowed frames' (bottom) before you set 'max prerendered frames = 0' (middle). Try the set the latter without setting the former first, will result in a setting that keeps switching back to '3' every time you set it to '0' (or anything lower than 3)

Still testing!
This configuration may (and probably will) change again.
As long as I don't post any update, assume it's working at least as well as it did with old settings.

FPS limiter is not set: if Vert Sync is doing its job, FPS will be limited to the monitor refresh rate, which in my case is 60.

If your monitor goes a lot faster (like 100, 120hz), you may want to set FPS limiter to half your refresh rate (set 50 if 100hz, set 60 if 120hz) =>NIWITA* Warning!<= Just taking guesses, here!

(NIWITA = No Idea What Im Talking About)

Thx Neuro! I will try this out! By the way, you can update Inspector to the 1.9.6.4 version which came out recently (can be done inside the app)

#95 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 14 April 2012 - 22:01

Just a heads up:
I was getting some tearing and went into CP and found that Vertical Sync was set to "use 3D application setting", which I have off in the RoF settings. Apparently that's the default setting when you load these new drivers.

#96 neuro

neuro

Posted 14 April 2012 - 22:20

Yes I notice that too, but I can't get rid of that tearing no matter what I do. The best I can get is to reduce it from 'extremely annoying' to 'barely noticeable', but it never disappears.

As for the settings in the screenshots above: forget about it. Doesn't really work.
I'm testing some other configurations. I'll post here again when/if I get good results, but for now, it seems that the best testing were the old ones that I was using before the new drivers.

(and please PLEASE don't include the pictures when you quote. Makes the thread heavy, ugly, slow to load, hard to read… and even if it didn't any of that, it'd still be annoying to see the same pictures posted over and over again)

#97 Eckhart

Eckhart

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:26

Yes I notice that too, but I can't get rid of that tearing no matter what I do. The best I can get is to reduce it from 'extremely annoying' to 'barely noticeable', but it never disappears.

As for the settings in the screenshots above: forget about it. Doesn't really work.
I'm testing some other configurations. I'll post here again when/if I get good results, but for now, it seems that the best testing were the old ones that I was using before the new drivers.

(and please PLEASE don't include the pictures when you quote. Makes the thread heavy, ugly, slow to load, hard to read… and even if it didn't any of that, it'd still be annoying to see the same pictures posted over and over again)
Sorry for the pictures. I tried it out and got excellent quality views but my FPS went down to 35-40.
I will wait for your update.

Many thx for your efforts Neuro! ;)

#98 neuro

neuro

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:15

35-40 FPS is good if you don't have stutter or tearing, and if the game runs smoothly. I'd go for it. I never understood people who want their games to run at 100+ FPS. As long as it's above 30, I can't tell the difference.

And yes, the game looks really good with those settings. If only I could get rid of stuttering and tearing…

Maybe the 2x 460 don't pack enough punch, or maybe my problem is the Triple Head box (it's beginning to get old) maybe I should upgrade that video card after all. I hear that a single GTX680 allows for 3 monitors without needing the Triple Head box… but I just spent some 950 euros on hardware upgrades, I don't feel like spending another 500 right away.

I'll post next update when I get things to work. In the worst case, I'll go back to the old settings that I had before the new driver. That was smooth enough, with some slight tearing but not a lot.

Right now im trying a different approach, in the Game Launcher: instead of using the highest possible settings and reduce only the strict necessary to avoid performance loss, now im trying to run with the lowest possible settings for the looks to stay acceptable. The idea is that lowering the setting in Game Launcher should give me more room to play with settings in nVidia Explorer.

Stay tuned…

#99 Eckhart

Eckhart

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:33

Actually I got some microstutters in crowded situations but then I realized that I had to slow down to aax2 as Nvidia 3D doesn't allow more in my case. Tuning down reflections to high and shadows to medium made it more fluid with gorgeous views in my setup (applying all your other recommandations except prerendered frames where I can't get less than 1). Once again everybody has probably to fend for himself as one rig is so different from another. Luckily we have Nvidia Inspector with more options to adapt to our needs. Thank you for helping us out with your settings which I would have never found on my own.
I am waiting for your update.
Cheers!

#100 neuro

neuro

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:37

You can get zero, in nVidia Inspector. Look for the blue text in my screenshots: set 'maximum frames allowed = 0x000000' (look towards the bottom of the picture) and then you go back up to 'maximum prerendered frames' and set '0'
HOWEVER
I'm not really sure that the best settings for SLI is actually zero. More testing needed.

(right now testing with AA x2 in Game launcher and 'Application Controlled' in Inspector, FXAA ON)

#101 neuro

neuro

Posted 15 April 2012 - 13:42

Here's what I have so far, but keep in mind:
1 - First, and kind of obvious, but it has to be repeated or someone would claim that i'm trying to BS them: All PCs are different. Even a couple of perfectly identical machines would become different after a while (software, settings, and a lot more). Therefore, the results of my testing may be interesting, and my settings may be a starting point, but you still have to experiment and find the settings that work best for *you*.

2 - If the above wasn't bad enough, add to it that I haven't found the 'perfect' settings yet. Not even close. The game runs fairly smoothly and the looks are acceptable, but I still do have some slight tearing when turning my pilot's head around, and also sometimes a little bit of micro-stuttering.
The good news: it may work better for you than it does for me. That possibility does exist.
The bad news: I haven't even tested on line yet, let alone on a crowded server. It's completely possible that the settings published here turn out to be as useless as those published a few posts ago.

3 - What does that means for you: there is no such thing as a 'magic' howto that you follow step by step and get the best possible looks/performance out of your game. The idea behind sharing my configuration is to provide hints, ideas, show where to look so you can try out a bunch of different configurations, but there's no way I can tell you exactly what to set on each single line. You are the only one who can find the right settings for your machine, and the only way to do it is to keep testing until you get it right …or at least, until you get tired of trying and decide that that 'fairly-good-but-not-really-perfect' configuration was good enough after all.

OK, so here we go:

Notice that VertSync is enabled but FPS limiter is not.

I couldn't get VertSync to work using nVidia settings so gave up and configured it in the game launcher instead. I didn't set the FPS limiter because VertSync already limits FPS to the screen's refresh rare, which in my case is 60. If your monitor comes with a 120hz or faster screen, you may want to use the FPS limiter.

FPS doesn't overshoot the screen's refresh rate (60) so it looks like VertSync is working. On the other hand though, VertSync should eliminate picture tearing when panning around quicky. That part isn't really there yet. I hope I can completely get rid of it, but it's already kind of acceptable as it is. There is tearing alright, but it's not so much that it 'hits the eye' and becomes annoying. Most of the time I don't even notice, unless I actually look at it.

A - Notice the two A's, one under 'Common', and one much lower, under 'Other'.
=> You have to set the 0x000000 in the 'Other' section first, or the '0' in the 'Common' section will keep switching back to '3'.
-Copy '0x000000' from another line, paste it into the 'Maximum frames allowed' line, and hit Enter.
-Then hit 'Apply Changes' (top-right corner), and do that twice <=for some reason, Inspector doesn't always apply the settings at the first click. Sometimes it does, but I always click twice just in case.
-Make sure that the 'Maximum frames allowed' line shows '0x0000000' both in the middle and at the right end.
-Now you can go back up to the 'Common' section and set 'Max Prerendered Frames'to '0'.
-Hit 'Apply Changes' twice, and make sure that your setting stays there.

B - VertSync refused to work (or I thought it wouldn't. All I know is that it didn't limit my FPS to the screen's refresh rate) so I set it back to default 'use app setting', and set VertSync in game launcher instead.

C - Those are set to 'Two' because I actually have 2 video card. If you have 3 or 4, set those lines accordingly.

D - This is the setting I was playing with when I decided to upload what I had. It's marked in yellow because I'm not done with it. I tested a couple of settings but I couldn't get rid of the tearing, yet. Using the setting shown in the screenshot, tearing is kind of 'acceptably low' but not really gone.
To set it as in the picture, you have to type a 0 (zero) where the 0x000000 is, in the middle of the line. Then hit Enter, and click 'Apply Changes' twice. Selecting 0x000000 from the drop-down list won't work (the 0x000000 at the right end of the line would change into a different number)

SO…
That's all I have for now, and as we said above, it may work for you or not. Most probably, it will work after you tested and changed something.
For me, using exactly the settings in the screenies, the game looks good and runs fairly smoothly (well, it does for me, anyway) but it's not really perfect yet. Please keep testing and share your findings.

My Hardware
I guess you should know that, so you can more easily figure out whether you should go for higher or lower settings than mine: i7/970, Rampage3, 2x GTX460/2gb SLI, 6GB RAM

I'm running SLI. Single videocard users should completely ignore the lines under SLI (where the blue letter C is), and stick with the default settings in that section. Most of the other (non-SLI) settings should may work for single card users too. Test and report. More available info for the community is good.

#102 neuro

neuro

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:48

Update
The settings posted above work on SP but still get me some small stuttering on MP.

Latest changes:

- Section 'Texture Filtering'
*Anisotropic filtering mode Application Controlled 0x00000000
*Anisotropic filtering setting Off[linear] 0x000000001
*Texture Filtering Anisotropic Filter Optimization Off 0x00000001
*Texture Filtering Anisotropic Sample Optimization Off 0x00000000
*Texture Filtering Trilinear Optimization Off 0x00000000

- Section 'SLI':
*Antialiasing - SLI AA AA_MODE_SELECTOR_SLIAA_DEFAULT 0x00000000

- Section 'Other':
*Vertical Sync Tear Control 0x00000000 => 0x96861077
(shows 0x00000000 in the middle column, the one with the drop-down menus, but the right column shows 0x96861077)

Comment: Doesnt look as good as it did before these changes but the stuttering is gone.
You should try to run with the settings as in the screenshots above, if your hardware lets you do that. Otherwise, try playing with the settings that I changed here and find a balance between looks and playability.
With all the changes listed here, it seems to me that looks are a bit too sacrificed. I'll post another update when I find a better compromise (unless someone else beats me to it, of course)

#103 Hellbender

Hellbender

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:43

Great resarch, neuro!

I have to say that I'm very impressed with FXAA. On my laptop with an aging ATI 5770 I've switched to FXAA for all games (using the FXAA Injector) and have gained a substantial performance boost, even over the 2x MSAA I used to have. For older hardware, FXAA is nothing short of an antialiasing miracle.

For Rise of Flight, I'm still torn between using it on top of other AA and enjoying the improved visuals, or not using it and retaining a slight tactical advantage as I'm able to spot planes earlier, due to shimmering actually.

J5_Hellbender

#104 Rivet

Rivet

Posted 16 April 2012 - 14:51

I found a big performance hit after playing a few "heavier" missions so I'm back to my usual non Fxaa settings. Can't be bothered with any more messing around. Some real life issues just cropped up.

Good luck in your endeavors guys.

#105 neuro

neuro

Posted 18 April 2012 - 17:02

Updated again <=CLICK!
This is pretty close to a good balance between looks and playability/smoothness… on my system anyway.

#106 =AH=_Sid

=AH=_Sid

Posted 20 April 2012 - 14:26

For what it's worth, these are the final settings I'm using on my rig after much online testing. This gives me a solid 60fps online and no shimmering.

Note: I don't use Reflections or Shadows and have the Shaders Quality down a notch at "High", this takes a lot of the load off the AA as there is less to filter.

I'm very happy with the results, thanks Panthercules for the "SSAA tool" it works great set to x2

#107 FI=Murph

FI=Murph

Posted 20 April 2012 - 19:00

I have not been able to get this to work with post effects enabled.
I am running ROF with i5 2500K@3.8m /8G RAM /GTX460 w2G SDRAM@ 4.25. I have FSXX disabled in global settings and enabled in ROF profile.

#108 neuro

neuro

Posted 20 April 2012 - 20:14

Try my latest settings

#109 FI=Murph

FI=Murph

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:48

I found that I needed to change the anisotropic setting in NV CP to "application controlled". Now it works.

#110 Eckhart

Eckhart

Posted 21 April 2012 - 23:00

For what it's worth, these are the final settings I'm using on my rig after much online testing. This gives me a solid 60fps online and no shimmering.

Note: I don't use Reflections or Shadows and have the Shaders Quality down a notch at "High", this takes a lot of the load off the AA as there is less to filter.

I'm very happy with the results, thanks Panthercules for the "SSAA tool" it works great set to x2

I tried your settings and they work like a charm on my system too. I get the same solid over 60 FPS on average. Microstutters are gone and the gameplay is perfectly fluid. For me your setting is the best solution for MP.
Neuro's setting are great too but they don't work for me in MP.
By the way, you can apply Sparse Grid Supersampling through NVIDIA Inspector 1.9.6.4 which has the advantage to be updated on a regular base ( the Nvidia tool might not be optimal for the latest drivers).

Many thx for your efforts and posting those result for us less computer-savvy individuals.

#111 neuro

neuro

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:22

According to some reports, my settings work for SLI but not for single video cards.

#112 neuro

neuro

Posted 27 April 2012 - 19:07

Turns out most of the work was unnecessary, and some of it even counter-productive.
1st post has been edited, RoF game launcher settings are back to all maxed out, new nVidia settings are all defaults except for LOD Bias, FXAA, and Transparency AA.
This seems to work pretty fine for me.

Graphic settings all maxed out
(sound settings also maxed out)

Only three changes:
-Negative LOD Bias = Clamp
-FXAA = On. Everything else is default.
-Transparency Antialiasing = 2x Sparse Grid Supersampling

#113 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 27 April 2012 - 23:06

Just curious - if you're already going to be running SGSAA=2x and RoF-AA=8x, what does turning FXAA on really accomplish for you? (and what kind of FPS hit does it incur with FXAA turned on compared to leaving it turned off with those other settings?)

Anecdotally, I don't remember seeing any noticeable visual quality improvement with FXAA turned on (on top of SGSAA=2 and AA=8), but then again I was really looking at FXAA as a possible way of enabling a reduction in those other settings (to squeeze out more FPS) rather than as a way of improving visual quality while still using those other settings (which already look great to me), so I didn't spend much if any time assessing the impact of just adding FXAA to those other settings.

#114 =AH=_Sid

=AH=_Sid

Posted 28 April 2012 - 00:01

Just curious - if you're already going to be running SGSAA=2x and RoF-AA=8x, what does turning FXAA on really accomplish for you? (and what kind of FPS hit does it incur with FXAA turned on compared to leaving it turned off with those other settings?)

For me having FXAA turned on improves the foreground textures considerably (with RoF-AA=2x).

Where as the SGSAA=2x improves the "shimmer" in the distant textures.

I can't say FXAA has a noticeable effect on FPS either way, for me anyway.

My final choice of settings can be found here and as I say I'm very happy with the results.

#115 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:04

I would assume FXAA probably would improve the visual quality at AA=2, but my question was about the effect with AA=8 (which is what I run and what tf_neuro was saying he had dropped back to using in his latest post above. So I was just curious if FXAA showed any real improvement with AA=8. Now that I'm back from work, I'll have a chance to try it again tonight and see for myself, but I was just wondering what tf_neuro was seeing with those latest settings since he's obviously put a lot of time into playing around with these settings recently.

#116 neuro

neuro

Posted 28 April 2012 - 13:19

Panth is right. I have now FXAA off. All it did was to make the game microstutter.

On the other hand, FXAA on and AA 2x may be a viable option for those who don't have enough resources to run 8x]

1- is necessary for the grids around German guns to look good
2- this seem to reduce stuttering on my system… or maybe it doesnt
3- match aniso setting with the setting in RoF launcher, also seems reduce stuttering (but does it?)
4- this is necessary to make water look good (blue with reflections)
5- also seems to reduce stuttering but maybe doesnt. Need to set #7 first, or it'll switch back to 3
6- yet another setting that if left to default seems to cause stuttering. Then again, my SLI system is very prone to micro-stuttering. Single GPU setups probably won't need all these anti-stuttering settings.
7- this is necessary or #5 can't be set

1- FPS limiter, no vert sync, this seems to produce the lowest amount of tearing (again, on MY system)
2- Shaders Quality reduced to 'High' (instead of 'Maximum') to avoid stuttering at low level

Tested on the Fast Food server, which in my experience is the worst one when it comes to low-level microstuttering. In my experience, if it works there it'll work anywhere.

#117 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 28 April 2012 - 15:27

@ tf_neuro - thanks for confirming what I thought about FXAA on top of SGSAA and AA=8 - saved me the trouble or re-installing the beta drivers to test it myself.

There are some interesting, non-intuitive (to me) aspects of the settings above. I don't have SLI, or stutters (other than the usual spawn freezes), so a lot of those settings probably aren't relevant for my purposes. But I am curious about a couple of the settings you mention.

First, you have v-synch off, yet show the FPS limiter at 60 - does the latter even work without the former? I've been thinking that the FPS limiter only worked if you had v-synch enabled, but now I'm not sure where I heard that or why I thought that - guess I'll have to test that myself to confirm. But I have never been able to turn off v-synch without getting too much tearing so I've never really tried that combination before.

Second, do you really like HDR enough to turn post effects on just for that? I've flopped back and forth on HDR, but after experimentation I usually wind up turning it back off - I like the rain drops a lot though, so I leave post effects turned on for those.

Third - I was a little surprised to see you have shadows at "Common" instead of "Special" - I thought that the "Special" ones were optimized/better, and that the "Common" ones were only introduced to provide an interim solution for some specific nVidia cards back when there was a driver/support issue for those cards that has since been resolved, and that there was no reason to be needing to use "Common" ones at this point - am I remembering that wrong?

#118 neuro

neuro

Posted 28 April 2012 - 16:12

You have v-synch off, yet show the FPS limiter at 60 - does the latter even work without the former?
Yes

I've been thinking that the FPS limiter only worked if you had v-synch enabled, but now I'm not sure where I heard that or why I thought that
In my experience, you don't need FPS limiter if Vsynch is doing its job. Being synchronized with refresh rate, FPS can't go any higher than that, i.e. 60 FPS on most screens.

There are modern 120hz monitors where vsynch would only limit FPS to 120, effectively very close to unlimited, but I think you can force FPS to half, one third, or one fourth of your refresh rate using the vsynch custom options in nVidia Inspector . That is the theory, anyway.

In practice, when I set vsynch 'force on' didn't automatically limit FPS.
I guess the nVidia Inspector (and nVidia CP) vsynch setting isn't working for me. Not in RoF, anyway (it works in IL-2, and it does limit FPS to 60)

Setting vsynch in the RoF launcher does limit my FPS but produce a lot of tearing, which is weird because it should be the other way around: vsynch is supposed to reduce tearing.
So, after a lot of testing I decided to turn vsynch off and use the FPS limiter to avoid wasting resources to pump unnecessary FPS.

Basically, if vsynch is doing its job you don't need FPS limiter (unless you have a 120hz screen, in which case you may want to use FPS limiter anyway).
I think (but im not sure) that if vsynch doesn't automatically limit your FPS to 60 (on a 60hz screen), it may be not working.

I have never been able to turn off v-synch without getting too much tearing
For me it seems to work the other way around. I get less tearing with vsynch off. No idea why…

Do you really like HDR enough to turn post effects on just for that?
Not really… in fact, I can only tell one major difference between HDR on and off. I guess I'd be able to tell more differences if I knew exactly where to look.
But anyway, the one difference is sun brightness.

I have confirmed over TS with gaming buddies testing the same settings: it doesn't work the same for everyone, so you'll have to do your own experiments to find out what's the best setting for you, provided that you want to achieve the same result.

The point of HDR High is that (on my system) that's the only setting that makes the sun a lot less 'bright', which in turn makes it harder for the enemy to hide into the sun.
I mean, the sun is still bright, but its brightness can cover objects over a much smaller area. I tested with all settings (HDR off, HDR medium, etc) and HDR High is the only one setting that I can run if I don't want the sun to cover half a monitor.

As for realism… I guess the 'extremely bright sun' is the realistic option, but as I play mostly on line I have to use the settings that give me the maximum advantage because someone else may be using the same settings. That's why I have Rain Drops turned off, too. I know I'm using less realistic options, but not using them would give the enemy an advantage.

I was a little surprised to see you have shadows at "Common" instead of "Special" - I thought that the "Special" ones were optimized/better
I tried both, and the 'Common' setting results in less 'grainy' shadows. Again, that's on my system, that seems to behave strangely in several ways.

I don't know for sure but I suspect that the difference between the way my system behaves and the way these things work on most other systems MAY be caused at least partially by me using an obsolete model of TripleHead2Go (the old 3840x1024 'Analog Edition'). I guess I'll dump it with my next video card + monitors upgrade, but for now it stays there… if nothing else, because I don't feel like starting over with all the video configuration, both physical and digital.
(as a squad mate of mine once put it, "it's hard being a lazy perfectionist")

#119 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 28 April 2012 - 17:14

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Interesting how rationales and choices differ depending upon how one plays the game - as a single player kind of guy, I opt for brighter sun and raindrops. But it's cool that the devs have given us so many choices and ways to customize and tailor the settings for our own specific game styles and machines. I'm all about having choices, and I'm glad the devs have given us so many, even if it does make it a bit frustrating sometimes trying to hone in on the optimal settings.

Guess I'll have to go test the difference between Special and Common shadows again, just to see for myself which I like better - been using Special for so long out of habit I haven't tried the other for quite a while. Probably good to check them out every once in a while just to see if anything has changed :)

#120 neuro

neuro

Posted 28 April 2012 - 17:57

Well I'd go for bright sun and rain drops too, if I played off line. But playing on line, you don't want to give the enemy any advantages.

BTW the reason why I posted again is that I just found out that im still having some stuttering problems around clouds. Expect another update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users