- - - - -

New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Add FXAA

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#1 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:10

Here's the blurb on this:

With the release of the GeForce 301.24 beta driver, a high-speed, shader-based anti-aliasing technique can be applied directly to hundreds of games through the NVIDIA Control Panel. Called NVIDIA FXAA, this technique is up to 60% faster than 4xMSAA, and can produce results equal to or better than the ageing anti-aliasing solution. Furthermore, FXAA is able to anti-alias increasingly-popular transparent textures, as shown in our Batman: Arkham City Graphics Breakdown and Performance Guide, making it the clear winner in many of today’s games.

anyone tried these out and if so, how does the FXAA work out with RoF?

#2 =AH=_Sid

=AH=_Sid

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:53

Thanks for the heads up, looking forward to trying this out (away from home at the moment, so will be the end of the week before I get to play about with this).

More details here: NVIDIA GeForce 301.24 Beta Drivers Add Major Gaming Features

#3 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:15

Just tried them out in a career mission - so far so good. Anecdotally, it seemed like I was getting a few more FPS, in the rain over the trenches and all, and everything looked very good with no weird graphical anomalies or anything, but I didn't have time to really run them through their paces. Hopefully I'll have more time to fly some sunny/clearer missions tomorrow and get a better feel for them.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#4 lederhosen

lederhosen

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:18

I have an older GTS 450 and these drives seem to be the best yet. I might go so far as to say that the FXAA even reduced the shimmering over terrain quite a bit. In cockpit I was getting avg 50+ FPS (18 plane dogfight in quick missions) and high 30's when in rear gunner zoomed out to max in a fight.
No strange colors or other graphic issues yet.

#5 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:32

Consider me old-school (or something worse) but I don't understand all the recent fuss over FXAA. For me it just makes the picture blurrier and worse for eyes. Of course I don't like jagged edges, but FXAA looks even uglier. I haven't tried it for ROF though, but for those games where I tried - I didn't like it.

Of course my opinion doesn't mean anything, I just wanted to post a small rant :)

#6 ZaltysZ

ZaltysZ

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:49

Consider me old-school (or something worse) but I don't understand all the recent fuss over FXAA.

Because modern games use deferred rendering, and it is hard/impossible to use MSAA with them. SSAA is too costly, so we are left with FXAA and similar methods.

#7 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:53

I see. Well, this basically means that I have to wait for a few hardware generations to pass before (if ever) games start using supersampling again instead of just adding a "noise" to the image. I call it a noise because being a postprocessing step FXAA doesn't add any new information to the picture. But I'm not a 3d programmer, so I'm judging only from what my eyes tell me.

#8 von_Pilsner

von_Pilsner

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:22

New driver and FXAA (and adaptive vsync) working very nicely with SoftTH triple monitor setup. I appear to have gained a few fps as well. :D

#9 SYN_Mars

SYN_Mars

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:16

Running the 301.10 whql drivers here on my laptop with a GTX 460m - same chip as the GTS 450 but more memory and bandwidth but slower clocks. The driver FXAA does not have the blurriness of the injector FXAA and also doesnt cause ROF to crash when you alt-tab.

Coupled with the adaptive v-synch I'm now getting a constant 30fps (limited to prevent laptop overheating) in a 15 v 15 quick mission with heavy clouds running a mixture of 2xAA, 2xSGSAA, FXAA and post effects on. All at stock clocks (708Mhz core clock - nvidia obviously realised they were being too conservative as they OC the gtx 460m from 675Mhz in the 2.70 series upwards drivers). Before the 301.10 driver I was OC to 800Mhz and unsurprisingly having problems with overheating.

Note: I've found that keeping the vsynch box unchecked in the ROF and setting the adaptive vsynch in the Nvidia control panael/ Nvidia inspector will prevent the flashing textures you see when online.

#10 Rivet

Rivet

Posted 10 April 2012 - 16:13

Note: I've found that keeping the vsynch box unchecked in the ROF and setting the adaptive vsynch in the Nvidia control panael/ Nvidia inspector will prevent the flashing textures you see when online.

Interesting. I've not tested with any other game than ROF, but after all it's the only one that matters :D

However, I've found that if I uncheck vsync in the ROF graphics settings, I don't get ANY vsync at all (tearing is everywhere) even with adaptive vsync enabled in nvidia control panel.

I don't get the blurriness that some people mention by using the FXAA but I'm not really sure if FXAA makes that much difference from MSAA to be honest. I did notice that my GPU memory usage in the ROF graphics settings did alter from 79% to 74% purely as a result of setting the AA slider to zero. I used the FXAA in nvidia control panel instead. Not sure if it looks better or worse.

Need more testing but so far I'm unimpressed.

GTX 570 @ superclocked settings (Drivers: 301.24 beta)
i7 2600k @ 4.11 (no reason to clock it more)
8Gb Ripjaws 1600
Gigabyte Z68 UD7-B3 Mobo.
Crappy 22" monitor 1680x1050 native res. 60 MHz refresh rate.

#11 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 10 April 2012 - 16:38

Anyone using Nvidia Inspector with this new batch of drivers? TBH I dont even remember what I had set my Inspector settings at… (OK, just checked: 2x Sparse Grid SS, 16x AF, AA application controlled).
It'd be great to not have to use inspector anymore.

#12 Rivet

Rivet

Posted 10 April 2012 - 16:56

No nvidia inspector here. I was getting some micro stutters/freezes in campaign & career modes when other aircraft/ bjectives were triggered. I've only tried QMB missions so far but no micro stutters. Will try continuing my St Mihiel campaign.

So far it's smooth as milk with no stutters. I'm just not sure about the FXAA and the adaptive vsync alone (set in nvidia CP) seems to have no effect whatsoever. You still need the in game Vsync enabled.

Almost forgot - my previous drivers were the 285.62 ones.

#13 Demon_

Demon_

Posted 10 April 2012 - 16:58

I just update the Nvidia driver 301.24.Need more time to test.
The Adaptive Vertical sync don't have good effect(first test) on my sli gtx460.

The real benefit for me.I can set Antialiasing to "no" in the game launcher(i use less video memory).
Than i can set the Shadows and the Landscape to High(with my 1G Vram card).

Oups! Triple buffering setting should be "on".And 2X Sparse Grid Supersampling.

Attached Files

#14 O_catarM

O_catarM

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:41

Looks like the FXAA is a winner.I can set AA to "no" in ROF and use FXAA in Nvidia CP.Game looks same and I get 10-15 FPS boost.GTX 460 1GB.Rof settings maxed apart from Landscape and no Supersampling of course.btw FPS in Skyrim almost doubled for me and that's on Ultra settings

#15 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:41

Hmm - ran a few more missions at various settings, and I'm just not seeing anything better about these beta drivers compared to the old ones, either in visual quality or performance. I can't really tell much if any difference between the new FXAA and the old SSAA I was forcing via the nVidia tool, if I leave the RoF settings where they were, and if I try to reduce the RoF settings and just use FXAA, things don't look as good. And nothing I tried generated any appreciable increase in FPS. Didn't really see any material effects from playing around with the adaptive V-synch, either.

Nothing really bad about them so far, just nothing better either - pretty much a non-event for me so far :(

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#16 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:54

Using these new drivers I can Enable FXAA, drop back to 2x AA and get improved performance with the same visual quality that I enjoyed previously on higher AA settings. As a bonus, the shimmering rigging wires have been fixed entirely.

#17 BuddyWoof

BuddyWoof

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:10

Using these new drivers I can Enable FXAA, drop back to 2x AA and get improved performance with the same visual quality that I enjoyed previously on higher AA settings. As a bonus, the shimmering rigging wires have been fixed entirely.

Do you mean turn on fxaa in nvidia cp and then also turn on 2x AA in ROF settings? If it gets rid of wire shimmers, I'd definately try this out!

#18 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:55

Yep, that's what did it for me. 4x in RoF settings is even more effective. 8x hardly seems worth the bother. :)

#19 catchov

catchov

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:08

FXAA cures the Shimmers! :shock:

I might try it. :)

Just imagine for a moment Feathered how stunningly attractive the Fe2 will look. :D

#20 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:48

Just imagine for a moment Feathered how stunningly attractive the Fe2 will look. :D

:x

#21 SYN_Jedders

SYN_Jedders

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:42

Personally nothing I do in Nvidia CP has an effect in RoF at all. I must be doing something stoopid :(

#22 Rivet

Rivet

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:38

I decided to try to test the drivers out recording the settings and results using the same game scenario. A simple duel in the QMB. I used a default plane, the Alby DVa.

Test 1 settings and results:

:0o: Not looking too good is it?

I guess we can scrap these settings then. Cloaking device not working properly Mr Spock? :lol:

I didn't bother taking this one any further. It would probably scare the poo out of me trying to fly that. :0o:

Stay tuned for more Driver sh1ts 'n' giggles. :S!:

#23 Rivet

Rivet

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:51

Here we have test 2

the only difference in this test was 2x AA set in the ROF graphic settings and Enhance application setting via Nvidia CP.

The results were as follows:

Still the horrific screen tearing as expected. There is obviously no vsync working in any way shape or form.

At least we get the whole aircraft this time. ;) I did go back to the first test scenario to try again and did actually get the full aircraft so this does seem random.

As for the AA?

In cockpit does seem to be a bit better but whether this is simply ROF's 2x AA I'm not sure yet. I rather suspect it is though.

Outside view is still not good.

#24 Rivet

Rivet

Posted 11 April 2012 - 13:11

Well scratch all the above. After testing whether ANY alteration via nvidia CP does anything at all (tested every AA setting with "override application setting") I can concur with Sys_Jedders.

The only way I can alter anything that affects the game is via the game's own settings.
no more testing needed for me. Back to my old drivers and settings.

#25 Rivet

Rivet

Posted 11 April 2012 - 14:52

Well, before I junked these new drivers i thought I'd try one more scenario. I did try to see if nvidia contol panel actually did anything at all as regards ROF. So I set everything I'd altered to off. then I tried my old settings in game. It displayed aliasing jaggies. I then altered the settings in nvidia cp to "Application Controlled" and hey presto. My old settings were back.

So nvidia control panel DOES have an effect.

I gave the new drivers one more go to see what effect they had on another common issue, i.e. shimmering ground textures and aircraft bracing wires. Here are the settings I used:

Notice the V-Sync settings and FXAA settings in particular. In Nvidia CP there was no way I could get these to work whatsoever.

Now to the results:

Ground texture shimmer seems to have gone.

Bracing wires look pretty good on starboard side. The in game 4xAA is very good too.

Looking good port side too.

There's still a bit of bracing wire shimmer in external view but it's very much improved. I would say that's pretty good. It's certainly good enough for me at least.

I noticed no graphical glitches/artifacts on these settings either. Now I know everyone's machine is different so what worked for me may not work for others. I guess with these drivers, just like anything else, it's case of try it and see what works for you.

All I know for sure is that in my case FXAA and "Adaptive V-Sync" did nothing except make the game look a lot worse. Neither did I experience any difference in frame rate.

Conclusion:
I'll be keeping these drivers for the meantime purely for the improvement on the shimmering issues. Forget the rest. In other games the results may differ but I haven't tried that.

It's by no means a definitive test but I hope some may find the info useful. :S!:

#26 von_Pilsner

von_Pilsner

Posted 11 April 2012 - 15:40

Upon closer testing I don't see much difference between 4x FXAA and regular nVidia 4x AA (in graphics quality and in fps), perhaps I am not enabling it correctly…

#27 Rivet

Rivet

Posted 11 April 2012 - 16:17

I checked my global settings and found they were exactly as those you mentioned. I'd been to that site and checked it out.

I'll set the parameters in the "program Settings" screen to "use global settings" and see what happens. i have a funny feeling I've already tried that originally though.

I fear I may arrive at a similar conclusion.

#28 =AH=_Sid

=AH=_Sid

Posted 11 April 2012 - 17:02

Thanks for the feedback guys, still looking forward to testing these new features out for myself over the weekend. :)

Being the first release of these new features in Beta, it's probably not surprising we are seeing mixed results here. On the NVIDIA forum it states "NVIDIA actively reads posts by NVIDIA forum members reporting bugs or providing feedback to us", so it's probably worth posting your findings and pictures there also in their Official BETA NVIDIA 301.24 Display Driver Feedback Thread.

I've a feeling Rise of Flight is not particularly high up on Nvidia's radar these days, so a few posts by us might remind them some of us are still playing it!

#29 SYN_Mars

SYN_Mars

Posted 11 April 2012 - 17:06

This link is useful for understanding teh various AA modes:

http://m.tomshardwar...adeon,2868.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://m.tomshardwar...m/reviews/anti- … ,2868.html

As far as ROF goes I use Nvidia Inspector to tweak settings as it exposes more settings than the CP. ROF handles AA as follows on my PC:

Post effects on - any attempt to overide ROF AA using the CP or Inspector will disable AA ingame.

Post effects off - override AA settings in CP/inspector work not all AA modes will work as dependent on support by ROF and nvidia requirements e.g. CSAA requires x4 or x8 MS to be set in game before override or enhance is used in CP or inspector (see link above).

I'm currently using post effects off, no AA set in ROF, overide and 8x combined AA (works well as it combines multisampling and supersampling) with adaptive vsynch set to half refresh rate. These settings run the smoothest overall on my PC giving me a near constant 30fps in 15 v 15 QM with heavy cloud.

#30 Rivet

Rivet

Posted 11 April 2012 - 17:41

@ Tanyrhiew,
Thanks for the link but I'm familiar enough with AA. I have nvidia inspector but am not using it at the moment. I like to try the standard fare before using 3rd party tweakers, helpful as they can be. Interesting about the post effects settings though. I didn't alter those. Mine are on.

After another short test it's evident that these features do work. However, I've found that to get the best effect in my case I have to use Rof's 4xAA in conjunction with the FXAA in Nvidia CP Global Settings. These settings are what gives me the best results so far.

"Adaptive V-Sync" is an enhancement to the standard "V-Sync" and so if V-Sync isn't enabled then the "Adaptive" version will have no effect at all.

A side note:
I find that I get the same video memory usage reported in ROF at 79% with the above settings whether I set the AA at 2x or 4x. Given that, why the heck not have 4xAA? It does look pretty good on 2xAA though.

The up side is that ROF looks just as good on these settings as it did with my "Old School" settings. And if the adaptive V-Sync reduces the stutters (as it seems to do - I don't get nearly as many now) and the shimmers, then that's all well and good. I'll buy that. :D :S!:

#31 Hellbender

Hellbender
  • LocationMadrid, Spain (originally Brussels, Belgium)

Posted 11 April 2012 - 18:09

Thanks for your very helpful posts, Rivet.

I'm using your exact settings now (both in RoF launcher and Nvidia CP) and am also getting great results and somewhat reduced shimmering.

Definitely keeping these drivers.

J5_Hellbender

#32 Rivet

Rivet

Posted 11 April 2012 - 18:28

Thanks Bender. Nice to know those settings are giving good results for you too.

In fact my first few posts can be discounted really as I was labouring under various misapprehensions.

I re-read the info given in this link
http://www.geforce.c...ivers-released/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.geforce.c...hats-new/articl … -released/
and realized I'd misinterpreted some things the first time around. :oops:

As long as we get there in the end eh? :)

#33 SYN_Mars

SYN_Mars

Posted 11 April 2012 - 19:10

@ Rivet - I wasn't intending that link for you specifically, I just thought it was a useful primer especially as it contrasts the nvidia/ATI now AMD approach.

Unticking the vsynch box in ROF config will allow the adaptive vsynch to work. With it ticked ROF is overriding the nvidia settings.

Setting AA - transparency to multisample does nothing in ROF to help reduce shimmering. Sparse grid supersampling is the only method that works with post effects on and it is only accessable from the inspector. Why nvidia do not expose that functionality within the CP is known only to them.

#34 Rivet

Rivet

Posted 11 April 2012 - 20:01

That's ok Tanyrhiew. I might have sounded a bit defensive with that statement. It wasn't meant as such. I understand your reasons for posting that link.

As to the vsync thing, well it doesn't work for me unless I have vsync in the ROF graphic settings checked. Without it checked I just get horrific tearing as if vsync isn't there at all. the nvidia "adaptive" makes no difference to the tearing enabled or not without the in game vsync box checked, for me at least.

From Nvidia
Adaptive VSync, an automated technique that disables VSync when frame rates fall below the locked rate, and re-enables it when they return to the locked rate.

I took that to mean that vsync had to be enabled for nvidia's Adaptive vsync to work it's magic. Of course I could very well be wrong though - it's happened before ;). I'm simply going from my experiences so far.

You're quite right about the AA transparency too. However as it makes no difference as far as our purposes go I left the setting as it was when I took that image. It is now disabled. As I said I'm just trying to get the best possible results before going to inspector.

All input is good though, and welcome. :S!:

#35 SYN_Mars

SYN_Mars

Posted 11 April 2012 - 20:20

Hmm re active vsynch. Untick vsynch in ROF, use fraps or equivalent to display fps and set vsynch to adaptive (half refresh rate).

On mine, the hanger/in flight reports 30 fps as it should for my 60hz panel. I only see tearing when my fps falls below 30 and the vsynch is turned off as designed. Tearing on my steup is vastly reduced though over vsynch disabled.

#36 der_zahn

der_zahn

Posted 11 April 2012 - 20:46

In order for "adaptive vsync" to be "enabled" (Quote from the Gforce article "Many gamers enable Vertical Synchronization (VSync) to prevent screen-tearing, an unsightly occurrence caused by frame rates exceeding a monitor’s refresh rate. The downside is the occasional and equally annoying stutter when frame rates drop below the locked VSync frame rate, and again when they return to the locked rate. To fix the problem, the GeForce 301.24 beta drivers come loaded with NVIDIA Adaptive VSync, an automated technique that disables VSync when frame rates fall below the locked rate, and re-enables it when they return to the locked rate, significantly reducing stuttering whilst still preventing tearing)"….it has to be enabled somewhere and that place is the ROF control panel. Otherwise you are "adapting" nothing.

Hope this helps sort out the confusion on this subject.

#37 Hellbender

Hellbender
  • LocationMadrid, Spain (originally Brussels, Belgium)

Posted 11 April 2012 - 20:54

How about FXAA?

Does it replace the AA enabled through the RoF control panel?

i r confuse

J5_Hellbender

#38 SYN_Mars

SYN_Mars

Posted 11 April 2012 - 21:00

@Der ZahnRe - read my last post.

FXAA works as designed - enable it in your rof profile either in nvidia inspector or the control panel. Turn off AA in ROF and any AA you had selected in the control panel and you will see that you have x4 MS AA for the fps cost of x2 MS AA…

#39 Demon_

Demon_

Posted 11 April 2012 - 21:15

FXAA stands for Fast Approximate Anti-Aliasing, and it's an even more clever hack than MSAA,
because it ignores polygons and line edges, and simply analyzes the pixels on the screen.

Note, FXAA presets 0 through 2 require an anisotropic sampler with max anisotropy set to 4,
and for all presets, there is a required rcpFrame constant which supplies the reciprocal
of the inputTexture size in pixels.

http://www.codinghor...asing-fxaa.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.codinghor...com/blog/2011/1 … -fxaa.html

#40 der_zahn

der_zahn

Posted 11 April 2012 - 21:17

I did read it, but I also read the instructions on how it actually works. If the VSync in the game is not enabled…its not going to do anything(for most of us). Hence this line from the quote from Gforce " NVIDIA Adaptive VSync, an automated technique that disables VSync when frame rates fall below the locked rate, and re-enables it"

Glad that it works differently from how they describe it for you though. :S!:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users