Photo
- - - - -

Buttkicker Gamer2

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#41 neuro

neuro

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:28

It's not an office chair but a common armchair with 4 legs and no pole. Even if I had an office chair I wouldnt use it to play flight sims, they move all over the place and swing, too. I need a stable seat to use my pedals and my anchored joystick.

My idea was to attach the buttkicker to one of the rear legs of the seat, but those are too thick, it would touch the ground. All I can do right now is to mount the BK on one of the front legs about 2cm. off the ground. Any higher and the legs get too thick for the BK. Hope it works that way, otherwise I'll have to get a new chair. In that case I'll probably try and build my own starting from an old car seat, but I hope I can skip.

#42 charlo

charlo

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:38

Neuro, I use a flat, 6" piece of rubber wedged under one of chair's wheels to keep it from moving. I use rudder pedals and the joystick on a speaker stand between my legs, and my office chair stays put quite well (and is comfortable for hours, too).

The flat rubber piece I use for the wheel is cut from a garage door threshold strip.

Charlo
Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake OC @ 4.8 GHz | Corsair Hydro H70 CWCH70 CPU Cooler with two Noctua NF-F12 PWM 120mm fans | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO motherboard | EVGA Titan X Hybrid GPU | G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 32GB DDR4 3000 F4-3000C15Q-32GRK RAM | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD | CoolerMaster HAF 932 ATX Full Tower case |SeaSonic Snow Silent 750W Power Supply | Acer B6 Series B286HK ymjdpprz 28" 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) Monitor | Windows 10 Pro | CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Throttle Quadrant, CH Pro pedals, CH MFP, Track IR 5, Buttkicker Gamer 2 | ====== My original ROF rig (now used by visiting gunners): MacBook Pro Core2Duo 2.66 GHz | 8 GBs RAM | NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512 MB GPU

#43 J5_Vorlander

J5_Vorlander

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:41

Salute Gents,

I ordered my yesterday from Amazon.com. Thanks for all the valuable info. Cant wait to get the package in South Africa.

Cheers

#44 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:56

I'm still tweaking my sound settings. It's fun to have it at half power, but it practically shakes my teeth, just from the engine. A close flak (I'm dreading my first instant engine explosion) would be incredible! I'm at about 25% right now, which no one can hear in the other rooms, but it gives a steady thrum from the engine and guns, and a good jolt from flak/bombs.

I dont think you chaps will be disappointed.

Neuro, Why dont you just mount the BK to the bottom of your chair?

If it's an arm chair like this:

then you should be able to secure it right underneath the chair on the underside of the cushion support (which is generally made of wood). I think you'd get more out of it than on the leg.

#45 neuro

neuro

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:40

Well it's not really like that but that's the general idea.
The problem is that the cushion is fixed in place, it's take a complex 'surgery' to fix the BK to the wooden structure.
One idea could be to simply stick the BK between bottom and back cushions… you know, where the change and the chips remains are, but maybe (probably) it wouldn't really work if it can't transmit the vibration to something solid. So far I can see a few solutions that involve modifying the armchair, or getting a different seat, or attaching the BK to one of the front legs… maybe that'll work.

And no, no way I'm gonna get an office chair. I hate office chairs (and offices in general). If it has to be a new seat it'll be a custom one, built from a car seat. But hopefully it will work by simply mounting it on the armchair's leg.

#46 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:00

If it has to be a new seat it'll be a custom one, built from a car seat. .

Car seat?

Really? At least you'll be safe…
:lol: :lol:

#47 neuro

neuro

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:35

Managed to hammer the BK2 half way up the front leg of my armchair, then I hammered some wood sticks into the gaps that had been left between the BK 'clamp' and the leg (they don't really match, so I filled up with some wood) and finally tightened the bolt with a tool made for tubes (dunno what that's called in English). Result, the BK hangs about 3 inches off the ground and it seems to be well fixed in place.

I also nailed some pieces of rubber under the amrchair's legs. Now I'll finish setting up everything… but I can't power up. Next update when the voltage changer is delivered (2 weeks?)

#48 JD

JD

Posted 08 April 2012 - 16:43

Even if I had an office chair I wouldnt use it to play flight sims, they move all over the place and swing, too. I need a stable seat to use my pedals and my anchored joystick.

I used a bungie cord for years that I attached under my desk and then hooked up under my chair to keep it from moving around when using the rudder pedals. Just make sure you attach the desk side good because you wouldn't like the results if it should come loose and snap back on you. :o

#49 Proccy

Proccy

Posted 09 April 2012 - 00:02

bit of longish haired carpet under chair will stop it moving so much when using pedals. Ive used a office chair for years and never had much movement with the carpet

Lieut. (A./Capt.) Andrew Weatherby Beauchamp-Proctor, D.S.O., M.C., D.F.C., No. 84 Sqn., R.A. Force.

#50 neuro

neuro

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:44

I said it before and I'll say it again: I won't switch my armchair for an office chair.
Office chairs are for slaves, armchairs are for masters :P
And besides, how would I qualify as 'armchair pilot' without an armchair? I'd be an 'office chair pilot' and that's as lame as it sounds.

#51 Proccy

Proccy

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:02

well maybe this will be your next upgrade tf_neuro :)Attached File  crack.jpg   79.73KB   416 downloadsThe ultimate gaming chair. You never have to leave as it has everything you need.

Lieut. (A./Capt.) Andrew Weatherby Beauchamp-Proctor, D.S.O., M.C., D.F.C., No. 84 Sqn., R.A. Force.

#52 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:58

Since RoF Master Server has issues, I thought I'd try watching Red Baron with the BK powered up. Wow! RB is much better with a ButtKicker! :D Movies add another complete dimension to the value of the BK…even Red Baron :o

#53 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 16 April 2012 - 18:04

I borrowed a Buttkicker from someone. At first I wasn't impressed much but as soon as i found a good setup,it took me an hour or maybe less, it was really amazing.
Too bad my Neighbours underneath feel the shaking no matter what volume I set it to,even with a 1,5cm thick Rubbermat under my chair. When I asked them if they've heard or felt something,they said that they thought I was moving my furniture around in the room the whole afternoon :lol:.

I'm really mad about this,it really adds something. Maybe I just turn it up loud and ignore the upset Neighbours. :x

Dann gibt's Heulen und Zähne klammern, für das ganze Lumpenpack.
Dann ist Schluss mit "Tischlein deck' dich", da gibt's "Knüppel aus dem Sack"!

#54 neuro

neuro

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:31

Blame the rapper kid? (or the 50 year-old metalhead?)

#55 Proccy

Proccy

Posted 18 April 2012 - 00:43

Mines up and run and its awesome. Shakes the whole house apart. My wife came running up the stairs sreaming that I must leave because the house was falling down. I was in the middle of Battlefield3 and busy with a grenande frensy when this happened. She had no Idea that I had bought the buttkicker lol. :lol:

#56 neuro

neuro

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:12

Received voltage changer and set up the BK2.
I'm not overly impressed, but maybe I haven't hit the right settings yet.
And -definitely- don't let women use it…

EDIT:

WHOOPS!
I had the Y connector and BK jack in the wrong port.
Much better now (still testing)

#57 neuro

neuro

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:14

BTW - you guys who are very happy with it: what settings are you using?
- Low filter on or off?
- knob all the way to 70, or lower?
- other?

#58 neuro

neuro

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:18

YAU
(Yet Another Update)

Murphy strikes again.
After a few minutes of usage, the amp started smoking.
Just a little bit, and I didn't smell anything, but as soon as I saw smoke I disconnected everything and contacted support. I won't stand in line for a couple of hours in an Italian post office to send that thing back, anyway. I'd rather pay an extra $100… except that I probably wouldn't bother. For the little I tested, the BK is way overrated. I could feel my chair vibrate but that's not all that super-uber-awesome. I would return it if they can arrange for some UPS guy to pick it up, otherwise it'll probably end up in my 'junk room' together with many other unwisely purchased items.

YAUU
(Yet Another Updated Update)
I was thinking well, if I'll have to return it (or abandon it in the junk room), I could as well fry it good.
What the hell.

So I reconnected everything, made sure to set the amp on medium settings (no buttons pushed in, knob turned half way), moved the amp well away from the rest of the equipment, in a place where I can easily see it from my computer seat, and put a bright light on it, to make it easier to spot the smoke.

It's not smoking yet. So far so good.
Right now im playing music to figure out the right volume settings. Rush seems to work well for that purpose, but I guess I'll have to test with something more 'metallic', and with something more 'jazzy', too.

#59 der_zahn

der_zahn

Posted 19 April 2012 - 14:41

My setting for Rof is both buttons pushed in freq set to 40hz, Racing I set it higher to feel the road. For music I have the high freq cutoff knob off(out position). Movies its kind of an adjust to the movie thing. I basically use the setups they suggest in the manual FAQ page and adjust from there.

What is your volume set at in windows? I know they recommend 75% then you adjust the BK from there for the amount of shake. I think(not sure) the less volume it is receiving the harder the amp has to work to get the unit to shake. I was also wondering if your unit is hooked to a wooden chair leg, if that is the case it might have something to do with how the amp is being pushed to get the BK to how you want it to feel.

In the end its all how you set it up for your personal tastes. And if you like the shaking effect that much or not. I think it adds so much immersion and that's what I am looking for when I am trying to "escape reality" when gaming. Just feeling the flak burst or the vibration increase as I lean my head out of the cockpit in RoF,or the *pop* of the gear shift in GTR 2 or hitting the rumble strips and actually feeling them. For me its the simple little things like that make games more enjoyable.

#60 neuro

neuro

Posted 22 April 2012 - 18:18

OK, here's the final update: I'm definitely not impressed.
The BK would probably be a great addition to a racing game, but for a flight sim it doesnt really add a lot.
It's not completely worthless, though. It does add something to the feeling, and it's cool to play music too, but IMO it's not really a must-have.

Cool thing to have if you can throw away $150, but if that kind of money have a weight for you, then skip it. Also, there are 1000 things you should get before the BK, like pedals, 3-monitor setup, a joystick mount to have the stick in the right place… hell, even a secondary monitor (for TS, maps, etc) and a 6-slider throttle are more important to me than the BK.

On the other hand, if you already have all the stuff that I listed and then some, and if $150 isn't a lot of money for you, then why not. What the hell.

#61 Proccy

Proccy

Posted 22 April 2012 - 22:35

I find you only feel the rumble when fly the v8 s like the SE . I also feel flak burst which is cool. My settings are both buttons out and set on 40 hertz works for me. Volume not to high or the wife srceams at me that she leaving.

#62 der_zahn

der_zahn

Posted 23 April 2012 - 15:42

Just a quick question. Are you gents running it through the green speaker output or the orange center/sub outlet?

I was messing around with the hookup because I lost my 5.1 sound emulation when I plugged the headphones in the front jack. I had the realtek HD onboard sound set so when I plugged in headphones it would allow a signal to continue to pass through the back control panel. Doing it that way I could still get the rumble but the sound sucked as it was limited to stereo output while the game was using the 5.1 sound setup and there was a dead spot in the front and back I noticed by turning my head in game.

Playing with the 5.1 does not sound as good as it used to with headphones before I had hooked up the BK because when you have the front jack and back connections set to run at the same time you lose the 5.1 sound through the headphones for some reason. So I figured I would try to run the BK through the front jack using a two way splitter so I could keep my 5.1 headphone sound and still get the BK shake and just switch it back over to using the back jacks when I did not need to have the headphones on. Well that system worked I had my 5.1 sound back and the BK worked…kind of.

There is a huge difference in how this thing performs depending on what jack its hooked up to. While hooked up to the front headphone jack using a splitter the BK used all the signals being sent from the output, not just the center/sub like they suggest you hook it up with if you have one. Saying that its a much better experience using the center/sub output.

Since then I have re-installed my creative x-fi and am running that, it sounds slightly better and I think it does a better job of separating the discrete sounds from the 5.1 audio than the realtek HD does, another plus is it has dolby THX cert.(sound much better with movies than the realtek). I also ordered a CM Storm Sirus 5.1 headset with the 5.1 analog connectors. I can use splitters coming out of my x-fi so I can have my BK shaking like it should and still enjoy positional sound when the family is not wanting to hear the roar of the engines or flak bursts.

#63 neuro

neuro

Posted 23 April 2012 - 16:08

It has to be plugged into the bass/center port, with the Y connector so you can have both the BK and the actual bass/center jack in the same port.

One thing I noticed, when the BK is plugged in, the subwoofer doesn't… "subwoof" any more.
Now it plays all the frequencies, like the other speakers. Sound quality is just as good IMO, but then again, I can't tell the difference in sound quality between gold cables and regular cables, so I guess im not qualified…

As for the headphones, I used to have all kinds of problems with those, until I decided to invest in a USB headset, which is basically a USB soundboard with a regular headset attached. The system detects two sound boards, you set your regular one (Realtek or whatever) as default, and configure your voice stuff (TS, Skype, etc) to use the USB one.

I recommend the layout that I have myself, that is one where the headset is connected to the USB soundboard using two jacks, so you can easily replace the headset with a regular $5 piece. The point is to have a secondary sound board dedicated to voice comms (TS, Skype, other voice stuff), and keep the main sound board for the speakers to play music, engine noises, whatever.

My USB headset cost some 40 euros a couple of years ago. I replaced the headset since (5 euros) but the secondary sound board keeps working problem free and it has already outlasted my old gaming rig. A well invested 40 euros, if you ask me.

Basically
- Realtek on-board sound (Rampage 3)
- Amplified 5.1 surround
- BK and subwoofer/center both plugged in the Subwoofer/Center port using Y connector
- Headset on its own dedicated secondary sound card (USB)
… everything working fine

#64 der_zahn

der_zahn

Posted 23 April 2012 - 19:06

The BK amp will work using a splitter connected to the green jack on a non 5.1 setup, it just does not work as good because it picks up more frequencies using that jack then it does using the center/sub out.

My subwoofer still "woofs" the same as it did before, so I dunno whats going on there because the splitter is splitting the sound before it goes to your BK amp so its getting the exact same signal as before, maybe slightly weaker because of the splitter itself…dunno. Unless you plugged both of the rca jacks coming from the splitter into the BK unit, because the top one is an output and it might be sending a signal back into the sound card.

The headphones are not going to be used for communication stuff, they are going to be used to play the games sounds through the headphones because you can not use regular stereo headphones on a 5.1 system and get true(or simulated)surround sound in the game. That is why I opted for that route as I need to be able to silence the sound from the speakers and not lose my center or rear sounds because the system is processing it as 5.1 not stereo. When you plug in a set of stereo headphones into the headphone jack that's what you get…stereo sound.

You pointed out that. "As for the headphones, I used to have all kinds of problems with those, until I decided to invest in a USB headset" and "My USB headset cost some 40 euros a couple of years ago." Well those headphones I posted were just released in July last year and have received nothing but rave reviews. They will work as USB or Analog(comes with both connectors as separate units being plugged into the lead going to the actual headset)depending on how you want to hook them up. Maybe the brand you had were not very good, I've seen a lot of crappy reviews for 5.1 headphones when I was shopping for them.

#65 J5_Vorlander

J5_Vorlander

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:50

Salute Gents,

I have had my Buttkicker 2 at home in the box for 2 months. Got a stepdown converter also needed for South Africa. But only installed everything as instructed yesterday.
1. Buttkicker 2
2. 5.1 Logitech sound speakers from my Asus onboard soundcard
3. USB Corsair 2000 Headset for Team Speak.
4. ROF

And WOW…MF. Brilliant. I love it.

Everything works perfect. External 5.1 Speakers, BUTTKICKER 2 in ROF and my USB Headset for Team Speak.

It a must have. :D

#66 Proccy

Proccy

Posted 03 August 2012 - 21:19

Gooie dag Vorlander, :S!:

How did you get your usb headset to work.? I bought a new usb headset and have not been able to get it to work since. It worked fine on old headset and it was a lot of fun and I now miss the rumble in the jungle. I know there is a virtual cable apps you can buy but would rather not spend another $50 bucks for something I might never use if I can help it. :)

#67 J5_Vorlander

J5_Vorlander

Posted 03 August 2012 - 23:04

Goeie dag Proccy,

I did nothing more than plugging inn the USB headset for team speak. The Buttkicker is connected to the Asus motherboard sound card 5.1 (orange) connector. Plug the Bass speaker back onto the Y-connector that goes into the sound card with the Buttkicker.

Started USB headset and all works perfect.

Its like have my whole gaming room FFB. Brilliant.

You can always contact me on the Jasta 5 team speak most nights from 21h00 CET.

#68 Scott_Steiner

Scott_Steiner
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:24

Yeah I believe you will need something like virtual audio cable to mirror the headset sounds to your soundcard and output it to the buttkicker through that.

#69 J5_Vorlander

J5_Vorlander

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:28

Scott,

I'm not running any other program to make it happen. It works as I explained.

This is the headset I'm running.

http://www.corsair.c...ng-headset.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.corsair.c...n/pc-computer-a … adset.html

#70 Scott_Steiner

Scott_Steiner
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:20

I thought you said you were using your headset for teamspeak only?

#71 J5_Vorlander

J5_Vorlander

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:31

Hi Scott,

Yes I am.

5.1 Logitech speaker setup for surround sound (it works), Buttkicker for chair FFB and Corsair headset for Team Speak. I'm not using any other 3rd party software in the setup.

#72 Scott_Steiner

Scott_Steiner
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:56

Well you wouldn't need to because you aren't using a USB headset for the in-game sound effects.

I believe Proccy is trying to get all the game sounds through his USB headset and thus the only way for him to get the effects to the buttkicker is to mirror the sound to another audio device that has the proper input jacks.

#73 J5_Vorlander

J5_Vorlander

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:13

Ok, I understand.

Thank you.

#74 Proccy

Proccy

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:50

Hi Scott Steiner,
yup you are correct in saying that Im trying to get all the sound through my headset. I have had a quick look at virtual cable but not sure if it will work. Has anyone out there managed it, if so could you tell me how please.

#75 Scott_Steiner

Scott_Steiner
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:16

I futzed around with the demo of it a while back, you could download the demo and see if it works for you. I think basically it has a lady that says "trial" every 5 seconds but it should work the same as the full version I think.

I would download the demo and see if you can link audio sourced together, so you could run the USB into a 'virtual audio cable' pass-through connection to your onboard soundcard, that way you would have all the headset sounds duplicated to the sound cards and you could plug in the buttkickers jacks. I think it would work.

I know a guy who used the program to take a Duke Nukem soundboard, he wanted the Duke Nukem quotes to be activated like talking on the microphone to people in games so he configured it to pass through from the soundcards channel to the microphone channel and back in while seperating the other in game sounds… Don't tell me how he did that that though, I know he tinkered with it for awhile.. Point is that it appears to be a somewhat powerful tool.

#76 Proccy

Proccy

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:48

Will give it a go thanks for that Scott :S!:

#77 Rivfader

Rivfader

Posted 14 August 2012 - 16:31

I bought this yesterday for 107$ on amazon and today it is listed at 140$!!! I can't wait to try it out. Is there anybody that use the buttkicker plugged in the 3.5 green audio jack??? That's all there's is on my PC.

#78 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 14 August 2012 - 16:45

If I remember correctly I plugged it in the green plug aswell. It's still buggering me a bit that I can't use it because of Neighbours living right below my Rooms.^^

Dann gibt's Heulen und Zähne klammern, für das ganze Lumpenpack.
Dann ist Schluss mit "Tischlein deck' dich", da gibt's "Knüppel aus dem Sack"!

#79 der_zahn

der_zahn

Posted 14 August 2012 - 17:31

I tried it in the green jack, it works fine but not quite as good as the center/sub jack. The green sends more frequencies to the BK amp than the center/sub and it does not pick up the lower end stuff as good.

#80 Scott_Steiner

Scott_Steiner
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 14 August 2012 - 18:52

Im guessing 3.5 inch green jack and no other jacks means you only have a stereo soundcard? That doesn't sound like it would be the optimal way to use a buttkicker.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users