Photo
- - - - -

Remove oil effect

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 19 March 2012 - 21:48

This little file can go in JSME to remove the oil effect if you dont like it.

Just put it in your JSMEMODS folder if you have one and enable it as per usual.

No splatter, just a dead engine like in the early days of RoF.

Attached Files

#2 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 19 March 2012 - 21:59

Haha.. the good old days, when the engine suddenly stops and you are a couple of miles sausage side! :)

#3 ST_Agent86

ST_Agent86
  • LocationNorth Woods

Posted 19 March 2012 - 22:02

W1ndy, can you tell me more about this JSMEMODS folder? Is there a link to a thread? I have the "realistic gun sounds mod" or file, and would like to try this "Diarrhea Remover" as well :D :lol:

#4 Gambit21

Gambit21

Posted 19 March 2012 - 22:13

Haha.. the good old days, when the engine suddenly stops and you are a couple of miles sausage side! :)

Yep
I''ll keep the oil thanks.

#5 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 19 March 2012 - 22:41

W1ndy, can you tell me more about this JSMEMODS folder? Is there a link to a thread? I have the "realistic gun sounds mod" or file, and would like to try this "Diarrhea Remover" as well :D :lol:

I might as well link Gavagai's thread which has the JSMEswitcher attached.
Gavagai's mod compilation

If you click that attachment you will get a zipped file containing the JSME exe, and a folder full of mods that Gavagai has complied. All good stuff. You can just add the file I made into the JSMEMODS folder.

Add the contents of that file unzipped to your Rise of Flight folder. Click the JSME exe. and you will be able to choose which mods you want to enable. To add a mod just put it into the JSMEMODS folder, that will now be there in the RoF directory, and then enable it with the switcher.

Most if not all mods posted will have the correct file structure -Mod name/data/lua scripts…etc.

I recommend Criquets AI,Gunner vitality,AI gunner mod,and reduced flak accuracy, as well as the blank oil.

:geek:

#6 megancheung

megancheung

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:23

I knew the oil was fossil fuel. I guess what confused me was how all the fossil fuel seemed to end up in underground wells. I would have thought it would be evenly dispersed. I guess the pressure causes it to clump together?

Do you know if it serves any purpose in the natural ecosystem?

#7 ST_Agent86

ST_Agent86
  • LocationNorth Woods

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:35

Thanks W1ndy, I'll give it a go !

#8 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:51

I knew the oil was fossil fuel. I guess what confused me was how all the fossil fuel seemed to end up in underground wells. I would have thought it would be evenly dispersed. I guess the pressure causes it to clump together?

Do you know if it serves any purpose in the natural ecosystem?

Are you related to raaaaid ? It's usually me taking the p…

I'm getting some of my medicine :lol:

#9 SYN_MrWolf

SYN_MrWolf

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:00

Why would you remove it? Maybe it happens a bit to much, but imo it's a good effect.

In real life we would have so many handicaps.
Cold weather
A bad fitting pilot suit
Lots of noise
etc etc.

Why would you remove it..to make it even more simple and acadier? I really don't get it.

#10 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:50

I can see his point.. Not every engine problem you could get would simply cover your goggles with oil!
The only thing the oil gives us at the moment is a visual indicator that there is a serious problem with the engine.. you could argue that 'that' in itself is 'arcadey'..

#11 SYN_MrWolf

SYN_MrWolf

Posted 20 March 2012 - 13:23

Well I had several engine problem in Rof MP which I could only hear or see. Sometimes the engine gives black puffs without the oil effect. Not talking about the rich mixture puffs.

#12 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 20 March 2012 - 16:21

Why would you remove it? Maybe it happens a bit to much, but imo it's a good effect.

In real life we would have so many handicaps.
Cold weather
A bad fitting pilot suit
Lots of noise
etc etc.

Why would you remove it..to make it even more simple and acadier? I really don't get it.

The effect is fine but I would prefer that it happen only rarely. It's the damage model that probably needs fixing.

But the way it is now – the tiniest hit on the cast iron engine with a small calber bullet causes a massive oil leak – I agree with Trooper that it's the oil effect that's too arcade (read: phoney).

Unless and until 777 fixes it, best to get rid of it.

#13 ST_Agent86

ST_Agent86
  • LocationNorth Woods

Posted 20 March 2012 - 17:23

I know this has been "hashed over" before. I think a "real" pilot would simply wipe his goggles as needed. Hard to model? OK then, with having to pay for most things available to us in this sim (not whining here) I just prefer to have the option of disabling this oil effect, and if I can get a mod to do this,I will use it. After all, it only effects my play, right? Someone on my six wouldnt know if my face was covered in oil, right ? Just my opinion. :x :S!:

#14 Brutal_Baron

Brutal_Baron

Posted 20 March 2012 - 19:33

As was discussed about oil on previous threads the oil would be ok if if were only maybe 20 percent (or some formulated number) that a damaged engine would spray the oil onto the goggles.

#15 der_zahn

der_zahn

Posted 20 March 2012 - 20:01

The real question is why would anyone care if someone chose to remove it from the game they are playing? How does that have any effect on how you play your game and who cares what you think should be in or not in the game.

#16 SYN_MrWolf

SYN_MrWolf

Posted 20 March 2012 - 21:31

@der_zahn This is a forum. You know that right? We can discuss about stuff. Just venting an opinion. The developers put quite some time in something nice..so I wonder.

#17 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 20 March 2012 - 21:38

A while ago there was a guy asking if it could be optioned out. I didn't know how to upload a file so I could tell the guy ( turns out you zip the file !! Duh )

So when I figured this out yesterday I put it up.

I just don't like the effect, simple as that. I hardly ever wreck my engine these days, because I don't fight online, just sp and I keep things in check. When I've wrecked it I soon find out.

#18 der_zahn

der_zahn

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:23

Sadly I am going have to agree with you on the "this is a forums right " part ,and "we can discuss about stuff" whatever the hell that means. What I read into that was "My opinion is more valid than yours because I feel your somehow less of a "real sim gamer" and my opinion means more than just some regular "simple arcadier". The truth is you do not "need to get it" You obviously really like the oil effect so much you took the time to come into a thread that was trying to explain how to get rid of it for us "simple arcadier" gamers telling us what a "good effect" you think it is. Thanks for the tip Sim master you almost had me swayed in the "I like the effect now " direction, but I stood my ground and I still don't like the effect.

Obviously you like the oil effect and that's just super duper wonderific! I don't know if I can find words to express how happy I am for you. So I'll just say I am really really really happy! I am very happy you love the effect. A love I will probably never know for an effect in a video game. and that's okay because its just a video game.

P.S. Where can I get me one of those online bowling shirts I see some of you guys wearing.

#19 SYN_MrWolf

SYN_MrWolf

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:31

Wow what a kind and sincere guy you are. I am very sorry for stepping on your little sensitive toes.

#20 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:47

@ der_zahn, you're not going all 'Siggi' on us are you? Perhaps best if remained a lurker…

#21 der_zahn

der_zahn

Posted 21 March 2012 - 13:52

@ brandy, perhaps best that I post a lot more now…

#22 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 21 March 2012 - 16:51

Sadly I am going have to agree with you on the "this is a forums right " part ,and "we can discuss about stuff" whatever the hell that means. What I read into that was "My opinion is more valid than yours because I feel your somehow less of a "real sim gamer" and my opinion means more than just some regular "simple arcadier". …
[Emphasis mine]

Posting is your right and prerogative, just as it is for Syn_wolf.
Reading between the lines and putting words in people's mouths, is not.

#23 lederhosen

lederhosen

Posted 21 March 2012 - 17:34

Salute

is one forced to fly MMP with mods on or not?

#24 der_zahn

der_zahn

Posted 21 March 2012 - 18:23

Thanks for the tip but I think I'll stick with saying what I want when I want.

thanks to the original poster for getting rid of the oil effect.

p.s.Do you think I might look cooler if I posted my pc specs as my signature?

#25 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 21 March 2012 - 19:53

Salute

is one forced to fly MMP with mods on or not?

Yes, it's 'Mods On' for sure , so effectively no Multi-player (unless there aer mods on servers that i don't know about)

#26 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 21 March 2012 - 23:35

Do my specs make me look cooler? Really??? I've never been cool…
Read b/t the lines, it's a 6 year old system picked up second hand, clapped out, but with a new life so I ain't bragging.

#27 Winston60

Winston60
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 22 March 2012 - 22:20

Instead of removing it, why not reduce the amount, make it a bit more black (did every airplane engine have such fresh looking oil?) and make it not happen almost every time you are hit?

#28 J5_Wolf

J5_Wolf

Posted 05 April 2012 - 21:13

I take it that this mod is only for offline. I need one that works for online as well…..!

#29 Magpai

Magpai

Posted 05 April 2012 - 21:31

With the water cooled engines, the "oil in face" effect seems reasonable, perhaps make it a little dirtier.

My quizzle is with the rotary engines. Castor oil mixed with gasoline. What would that look like? Certainly not like the 10W30 that's currently illustrated. Perhaps a bullet in the oil tank would give us clear gold.

What colour is castor oil…? Anybody know?

#30 navair2

navair2
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 06 April 2012 - 00:08

Some people post their PC specs not to look "cooler", but to inform people about what they have "under the hood" without having to post it during hardware discussions.

On a personal note: Because of your scathing manner der_zahn, I have decided that the best thing to do is to block your replies…congratulations, you've joined Sigrund on my short list of people who ridicule others or apparently enjoy issuing a continuous stream of negative comments seemingly for their own entertainment, with little to no real criticism that seems constructive. Quite the contrary in fact.

Has anybody ever told you that you come off sounding like an angry child? One with a "chip" on his shoulder? Consider this a notification.

Back to the topic: I like the new oil effect, but it seems overly done at times. Having a way to disable it is handy IMO. Thanks, W1ndy. :S!:

Case: Corsair 650D Motherboard: AsRock Z77 Extreme4 PSU: Antec TruePower New 750 Blue CPU: Intel i5-2500K ( Socket 1155 )

CPU Cooler: ZalMan CNPS9500A LED GPU: EVGA GTX 580 MEM: 8 GB G.Skill PC12800 DDR3 1600
Soundcard: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Monitor: Samsung 2343 BWX 23"@ 2048 x 1152 OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

#31 navair2

navair2
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 06 April 2012 - 00:13

With the water cooled engines, the "oil in face" effect seems reasonable, perhaps make it a little dirtier.

My quizzle is with the rotary engines. Castor oil mixed with gasoline. What would that look like? Certainly not like the 10W30 that's currently illustrated. Perhaps a bullet in the oil tank would give us clear gold.

What colour is castor oil…? Anybody know?

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Castor_oil" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Castor_oil

Apparently not too far off what 777 has modeled. ;)

Case: Corsair 650D Motherboard: AsRock Z77 Extreme4 PSU: Antec TruePower New 750 Blue CPU: Intel i5-2500K ( Socket 1155 )

CPU Cooler: ZalMan CNPS9500A LED GPU: EVGA GTX 580 MEM: 8 GB G.Skill PC12800 DDR3 1600
Soundcard: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Monitor: Samsung 2343 BWX 23"@ 2048 x 1152 OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

#32 Proccy

Proccy

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:51

Your avatar is cool enough Bandy.

Lieut. (A./Capt.) Andrew Weatherby Beauchamp-Proctor, D.S.O., M.C., D.F.C., No. 84 Sqn., R.A. Force.

#33 Nick_Schiessen

Nick_Schiessen

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:05

As often as it happens, I think I would have learned to carry a towel with me to clean my goggles. Maybe we could get one of those. Still, it's better than sneezing inside your helmet.

#34 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:09

W1ndy, I am going to include this in the mod compilation. Please let me know if you have any objections.

#35 stevetryagain

stevetryagain

Posted 07 June 2012 - 22:12

I'd like to use this mod but I'm still getting the oil effect. I downloaded the OUTSTANDING JSGME utility and have had excellent success using the other mods included in the download. But the Windy's oil one doesn't work even though it shows it on the right hand installed side. I've only tested it in the PWCG missions and don't know if that makes any difference.

Any ideas?

Thank ya

#36 odedz11

odedz11

Posted 10 July 2012 - 17:12

The oil Effect The worst thing that happened to Rise of Flight

#37 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 10 July 2012 - 21:24

The oil Effect The worst thing that happened to Rise of Flight

Just cause it makes the game harder for you? :mrgreen:
Don't get damaged, that's all.

#38 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 July 2012 - 22:50

Hello Everyone,
The oil taught me a lot about over revving of the engine when I first started not using AutoRev.
I also enjoy the challenge of landing a Dr1 successfully when I can't see a bloody thing.
It does clear a bit if you move your head into the slipstream and also goes away pretty well when the engine finally dies, so surely its not that bad?
Cheers,
Spag. :)

Bite off more than you can chew.

Then chew like Hell ! ! !

#39 Joker_BR

Joker_BR

Posted 11 July 2012 - 00:06

Hmm, it's kinda cheating :), although I don't fly/know any server that allows you to fly with "mods on". Will keep the oil.

#40 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 11 July 2012 - 00:07

No it's not that bad.

Stopping engine, if over friendly lines, will wipe out the oil quickly :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users