- - - - -

Aircraft in need of a speed boost

• Please log in to reply
245 replies to this topic

#241 Panthera

Panthera

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:12

Just throwing in an observation:
We were flying on our server last Sunday in a mixed group of Central aircraft: Albatros DVa, Fokker Dr1 and Fokker DVII. The flight leader was flying a Fokker Dr1. We were at 3400m. At the same time we hit the autoleveler. Results: The Fokker DVII flew alongside the Dr1, but did not overtake! The Albatros DVa couldn't keep up at all.

Talk about an immersion killer!

That is indeed quite disturbing, both the D.VII & D.Va should have a comfortable lead in speed over the Fokker Dr.1 at 3,000 m, as-well as at SL.

Based on the data available I believe that the top speed of the Fokker Dr.1 was around 180-185 km/h at SL, and around 160-165 km/h at 3,000 m. The std. Fokker D.VII and Albatros D.Va should be aleast 10-15 km/h faster.

#242 Panthera

Panthera

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:17

Panthera, you should review Petrovich's post about the N17 and how he reviewed its FM. He was very aware of the data that says ~175kmh.

Could you link as I would be interested in reading it ?

#243 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:27

Easy to find with google: N17 FM - review & fixes! [BIG THANKS TO 777!]

Don't bother with the RoF search engine.

#244 Panthera

Panthera

Posted 30 April 2012 - 13:01

Well it's no surprise I hadn't read it seeing as the post is 3 years old, which is well before I started my membership here :)

I still believe the ingame N17 possibly is too slow however based on the engine output and the dimensions of the aircraft, the N17 being a very small aircraft. But without the Cd0 & Cdi figures I can't tell for sure, but there's no doubt that the thin high cambered wing and the many bracing wires would've increased drag considerably in level flight ofcourse compared to aircraft such as the Dr.1.

I do think that a 175 km/h top speed at SL seems reasonable based on the recorded speeds of the actual aircraft.

#245 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 30 April 2012 - 13:18

Don't forget prop pitch. Some figures have been posted around here before, and the N17's prop pitch was very fine.

Not saying it's 100% right of course. I really don't know.

#246 Panthera

Panthera

Posted 30 April 2012 - 20:24

Well prop pitch certainly is one of the factors that can really screw up these kind of comparisons, however based on the climb rate figures used for the ingame N17 a 175 km/h top speed seems to fit in the best. With a lower top speed of 165 km/h as a result of prop pitch I would in return expect a slightly higher rate of climb.

That's not what we're seeing with the ingame N17 though, here we have a climb rate that corresponds to those achieved in tests where the top speed was established as around 175 km/h. And as I mentioned, considering the power of the engine and the dimensions of the aircraft, a 175 km/h top speed does seem very reasonable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users