Photo
- - - - -

Future addition of Zeppelin Staaken R.VI

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 03 March 2012 - 19:56

Upon a little research, looks like one Type L as built, followed by three Type 8301s. The Type 8301 had a slightly different fuselage.

#42 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 03 March 2012 - 22:02

Upon a little research, looks like one Type L as built, followed by three Type 8301s. The Type 8301 had a slightly different fuselage.

that is probably a confusion, the marine numbers 8301 to 8306 were individual aircraft numbers, not type (contract numbers for individual planes so to speak) for the 6 ordered aircrafts, ordered after the testing of the first aircraft (numbered 1432, but this is a numbering not coming from the marine). The contract over 6 planes was probably not fullfilled, but delivery dates for 2 aircraft under this contract in 1918 are given . That would mean 3 type L, that were flown across germany to the baltic sea (type L is essentially a navy designation given to r4s with modifications like adtional tanks and floats under the marine evaluation of the first sample aircraft and subsequent contract for 6 more)

additonally other contracts were handled at the same time, in competion with dornier and the like, even other R planes from staaken were put on floats, some also confusingly called r4, but beeing essentially other aircraft. overall they had not a very clear designation system

#43 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 03 March 2012 - 22:23

oh, I´ve just seen these pictures:

that could probably mean that 3 (numbers shown 8301 and 8303) were delivered under the navy contract, but with an alternative cabin and lower wing layout.

#44 tonyfed1964

tonyfed1964

Posted 03 March 2012 - 23:18

Well if Jason asks me, I am all in favor of having the Zeppelin Staaken
in ROF.

MATTER IN FACT, I WOULD GLADLY SEND IN MY MONEY NOW TO PRE-ORDER THIS.
HINT HINT.

PS, I believe there was a few different versions of the Zeppelin Staaken that had open cockpits
(R.V had an open cockpit and a 5th engine being one example).

#45 Brandiment

Brandiment

Posted 03 March 2012 - 23:34

Bring it in the game. it would make a wonderful addition to the German line up. We seem to be out gunned by all the allied planes anyway. It would balance things out numerically. I'm tired of seeing so many different Brit planes grace the sky's compared to the German Variety.

#46 Bf-110

Bf-110

Posted 03 March 2012 - 23:40

Bring it in the game. it would make a wonderful addition to the German line up. We seem to be out gunned by all the allied planes anyway. It would balance things out numerically. I'm tired of seeing so many different Brit planes grace the sky's compared to the German Variety.

Well,indeed.RoF still have too many allied planes,mostly british and mostly being from Sopwith.

Awesome variation of R.VI that one,btw!

#47 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 04 March 2012 - 00:12

^^ah, you are right.. just found out, that what was finally was delivered, were RVI on floats, so the type L was probably really just one, you were right, AJ94CAP!

In a book by Heinz Nowarra (on Alexander Baumann) it says 4 of those were delivered. 2 out of the contracted 6 planes were canceled on behalf of dornier, working for the same enterprise (Zeppelin), who wanted to reserve orders for his flyingboat. Nr. 8301 and 8302 did not perform well in Warnemünde in the Erprobung, 8301, 8303 and 8304 did fly tourists to the beaches ;=)

#48 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:48

Ah, I see! Haha, interesting how planes designed to drop thousands of pounds of bombs ended up flying around tourists instead. :lol:

Cheers

#49 J2_Wallenberg

J2_Wallenberg

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:14

This film was shot after the war in Aspern, Austria, vicinity of Vienna:

According to a Vienna International Airport PR hardcover, it had to do an emergency landing after gear failure in July 1919, coming from the Ukraine with 22 Passengers. The machine was instantly seized by Italian authorities, but shortly after it was wrecked by a storm flinging it against a hangar.

EDIT: The youtube description says this is a pre-flight inspection and does not mention the location this film was shot, but according to aeiou.at, this is the aforementioned aircraft. And the same book about Vienna Airport, "More than just a place to land", refers to its serial number as R.69.

#50 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 04 March 2012 - 13:26

If going to a Zeppelin Staaken then the 5-mot like above would be my way to go :D

Sorry to interrupt the good conversation here, but still I do prefer early 2-seaters first :S!:
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#51 J2_Wallenberg

J2_Wallenberg

Posted 04 March 2012 - 13:34

Ceterum censeo B.E.2c esse addendam ;)

#52 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 04 March 2012 - 15:28

Roland CII or RAF-FE2, oeps that will be another long lasting discussion!
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#53 Sylvis

Sylvis

Posted 04 March 2012 - 17:11

Why can't we just agree the brits got enough planes for now?

#54 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 04 March 2012 - 17:31

I suppose you do not have any EIII/DH2/N11, get them, then you will notice we need early war 2-seaters on both sites.

#55 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 04 March 2012 - 17:41

Germany has more planes now than Britain.

#56 Sylvis

Sylvis

Posted 04 March 2012 - 19:53

Yes, as Britain is part of a 3 strong coalition, but the conflict is still got 2 sides. I would guess there are more people flying German than Britain solely. Maybe we should run a poll. ^^

#57 Panthera

Panthera

Posted 05 March 2012 - 19:13

If going to a Zeppelin Staaken then the 5-mot like above would be my way to go :D

I would prefer the R.VI myself, it was the most numerous (18) and the type that dropped over 27 tons of bombs over London.

And I REALLY would love to see an airplane with a closed cockpit ingame, esp. one as cool as the Staaken's :) Will probably feel like you're flying a Railcar with wings :lol:

#58 WhoCares

WhoCares

Posted 05 March 2012 - 19:15

Yes, as Britain is part of a 3 strong coalition, but the conflict is still got 2 sides. I would guess there are more people flying German than Britain solely. Maybe we should run a poll. ^^

See, I agree with all of you - and with the Felixstowe F2.a and DH4, as well as CLII and H.-B. W.12 already anounced, I'd say we the next two or four should be French planes.

In particular, I'd suggest
- one or two light two-seaters, most important a 1916/17 recon/light bomber, replacing the RE8 on the French front, and maybe also a 2-seat fighter à la CLII and Bristol
Edit: Checking a bit further, I guess I would have to settle with the Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter - maybe a 1916 110HP and a 1917 130HP version?!
- a heavy bomber, along the H-P and Gotha.
For people that ask for early (1915/16) planes, two variants of the Nieuport 10 might do, 2-seat recon (unarmed?) and single seat scout, accompanying the E.III and D.H.2.
A Hanriot HD.1 would drive our belgian and italian friends nuts :S!:
From design perspective also very interesting would be a Morane-Saulnier AI mono-plane, seeing service from late 1917 to mid 1918, which would serve as nice diversification from all the Spads… To get the model and cockpit view might be not that difficult, as there are still some flying around.

Okay, I guess that would be a French 2013 then, non?! :roll:

#59 Boerbok

Boerbok

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:51

:) I love this plane and I would love to see it added into RoF eventually! It would be a great bomber for the new Channel map!

#60 Catoprion

Catoprion

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:46

:) I love this plane and I would love to see it added into RoF eventually! It would be a great bomber for the new Channel map!

Yes, yes, yes!!! +1 :S!:

#61 Bf-110

Bf-110

Posted 04 April 2013 - 16:15

The cockpit looks quite moswen for its time.

#62 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester
  • LocationRedlands, California

Posted 04 April 2013 - 22:43

The cockpit looks quite moswen for its time.

What?

#63 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 04 April 2013 - 22:43

I assume he means modern?

#64 Bf-110

Bf-110

Posted 04 April 2013 - 22:53

The …???How did I write that

Modern,I mean.

#65 Mogster

Mogster

Posted 07 April 2013 - 16:14

With only 6-7 planes the under represented side is France. GB has 11/12, Germany 15.

That's from a quick count up. Some planes have variants but only appear once on the store page, but I didn't worry too much about that. Before anyone mentions it :)

#66 Dawson1996

Dawson1996

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:25

I think that if we were going to add this plane that it would be a good time to do it now, sence for the allies we have the Sikorsky it would even things out to have have a huge bomber for the germans. I would defonatly put my money tward it if we ever got it.

#67 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 17 March 2015 - 16:18

Ilya Muromets is only good for Ost front, and only early war at that, so no "even things out" -- there is no imbalance.

S22 is pitifully slow, can't climb worth %$#@, has no tail gunner, and the top-wing gunner is woefully restricted in his field of fire.  Basically any multiplayer S22 mission is suicide verses the number of german players/aircraft that camp over the targets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users