- - - - -

Future addition of Zeppelin Staaken R.VI

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Panthera

Panthera

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:32

So what do you think guys?

Personally I would love to see this giant of the skies in RoF.

With a massive bomb load capacity of over 2,000 kg, a very long range, good defensive armament and decent top speed (135 km/h), I believe it would be fantastic experience to fly! 8-)

It would no doubt make an interesting target as-well :x

#2 1PL-Sahaj-1Esk

1PL-Sahaj-1Esk

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:07

Why not if we would get new planes every month or every second month than why not but with the current situation certainly not. There are far more important planes missing which could enhance and truly enrich the gameplay. What would that particular plane change at all ? we have already a Gotha. It would be an eye candy ok, but what else ?

I would see it only as logical to cover 1916, 1917 and 1918 with the most important planes (the backbone at least) of the given period and THEN move on to eye candies and cherry pics but well, with the see planes coming I got an update on that one ;)

:S!:

kpt. pil. / Capt. Sahaj / Operations Officer / 1. Eskadra Mysliwska / 1. Pulk Lotniczy / http://www.1pl.boo.pl

bannerf11esks.png?raw=1

http://warthog-extensions-by-sahaj.com

#3 Panthera

Panthera

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:13

Well considering the new "Channel Map" thats coming out soon, I believe that the Zeppelin Staaken R.VI would be an excellent addition for cross channel bombing raids.

Would add to the realism as-well as the Staaken apparently carried out the brunt of the bombing of England.

#4 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:20

Hopefully in time it will appear in the RoF stable, but I guess it all depends on which time period of the war you are most interested in as to whether you would like to see it sooner rather than later.
For me there are too many earlier and more important kites to get into the game first.

#5 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:23

The channel map will be nice, but bombing raids on the UK will be just a bonus - the most important additions it brings us are the Belgian front, and coastal action. In my opinion.

#6 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:43

There are more vital types to add first. No from me, I'm afraid.

#7 242Sqn_Wolf

242Sqn_Wolf

Posted 01 March 2012 - 14:34

There are more vital types to add first. No from me, I'm afraid.

+1

#8 Hvy_Cavalry_Sgt

Hvy_Cavalry_Sgt

Posted 01 March 2012 - 14:52

I'd love to see it, but there weren't even 40 of them right?

For my part I'm anxious to see the gunner climbing up on the cowling and firing backwards over the top wing of an FE2.

I have to think those guys working in the nacelles had a noisy, unpleasant job!

#9 242Sqn_Wolf

242Sqn_Wolf

Posted 01 March 2012 - 14:58

For my part I'm anxious to see the gunner climbing up on the cowling and firing backwards over the top wing of an FE2.

I have to think those guys working in the nacelles had a noisy, unpleasant job!

Number built

#10 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 01 March 2012 - 15:09

All of them saw service with the Riesenflugzuegabteilungen 500 and 501, and saw service on the western front, operating from Ghent. I believe they saw service from june 1917. They made many raids on England starting in September, and even made a round trip to attack le Havre (800km).
They have the accolade of carrying the largest bomb dropped by any aircraft during WWI.. Fascinating!

#11 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 01 March 2012 - 15:45

Wow….off-topic, but..what's that Eindecker? A Fokker monoplane with a new undercarriage and ailerons mod? It looks very neat.

#12 J2_Wallenberg

J2_Wallenberg

Posted 01 March 2012 - 15:57

On first glance, I'd say it's a Pfalz monoplane, but the rudder is definitely a Fokker production. I can check when at home!

#13 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 01 March 2012 - 15:59

It looks very short for a Fokker monoplane, though.

It's such a cute little thing..

#14 SirFreddie

SirFreddie

Posted 01 March 2012 - 16:33

Pfalz EI ? Made under license from Morane-Saulnier (H)

#15 Sylvis

Sylvis

Posted 01 March 2012 - 16:41

Channel map with London, co-op career mode with full human crew of 7. Hopefully one day. :D
Dreaming is not a crime. <.<

#16 Bf-110

Bf-110

Posted 01 March 2012 - 18:28

Well,Fokker D.VIII had almost he same numbers and is at RoF.I guess the R.VI wasn't exatcly a secret plane or a project,like many seem to depict.
It would fit the channel map and being a novelty,it would sell high.

#17 J2_Wallenberg

J2_Wallenberg

Posted 01 March 2012 - 19:59

No, the Pfalz E.I had wing warping and definitely not the 'comma'-shaped rudder, but rather a 'fishtail' one:

It might be a Fokker V 17 prototype?

EDIT: The fuselage really looks like a Morane or Pfalz one.

#18 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 01 March 2012 - 20:41

Judging by the shape of the wings I'd say no to the Fokker V17 but it's similar.

#19 Hvy_Cavalry_Sgt

Hvy_Cavalry_Sgt

Posted 01 March 2012 - 20:42

Well,Fokker D.VIII had almost he same numbers and is at RoF.I guess the R.VI wasn't exatcly a secret plane or a project,like many seem to depict.
It would fit the channel map and being a novelty,it would sell high.

Oh, I thought there were about 300 of the D.VIII.

#20 J2_Wallenberg

J2_Wallenberg

Posted 01 March 2012 - 20:46

I'm at a loss about it, after comparing fuselages.

I'd attribute it to Pfalz or Siemens-Schuckert manufacturing rather.

#21 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 01 March 2012 - 20:47

There were EV's delivered not DVIII. There is no record of the DVIII ever being delivered to any Jasta units. They were only ordered after the wings were fixed and the EV was renamed the DVIII.

Dan San Abbott wrote:

Hi Wingstrutdotcom:
When the Fok.E.V was grounded on 19 August 1918, 134 Fok.E.V machines had been accepted by Bauaufsicht 13 to 23 August 1918 when the Fok.E.V production was ordered to stop on 24 August 1918. This does not mean all 134 Fok.E.V machines had been shipped form Schwerin. Those accepted after 19 August would have beeen waiting to make up a train, and most likely remained at Schwerin after production was halted on 24 August 1918. Those that had been delivered to the various Jagdstaffeln had their wings removed and may have been returned to the Armeeflugparken to await new wings. There were 58 accepted and delivered in July to front Jagstaffeln. Of the 74 accepted by Bauaufsicht 13, I think 55 had been shipped and 37 delivered and 18 in transit as of 19 August grounding. During the grounding period all 134 were at the Armeeflugarken or still at the units awaiting new wings.
The redesigned wing was approved after destructive test were accomplished, the new wing was approved on 24 September 1918. soon thereafter, production was resumed at Perzina Piano-Forte and at Fokker Flugzeugwerke.
The first acceptance by Bauaufsicht 13 was on 8 October 1918 for 2 Fok.D.VIII machines. By 31 October 61 D.VIII had been accepted by the Bauaufsicht 13 at Schwerin. That does not mean they were at the front. From date of acceptance to delivery at the AFP is about 12 to 14 days.
Of the 134 machines at the AFP and/or Jasta new wings were delivered separate of the new Fok.D.VIII aircraft. Twenty more Fok.D.VIII machines were accepted by Bauaufsicht 13 to 10 November 1918. I doubt any of the machines made it to any AFP. They may have been intransit to the Armee Flugparken.
I suspect the new wings went to Fokker first and then to the AFP and the Front Jasta. I suspect the 85 Fok.D.VIII machines listed on the Front Bestand for 31 October 1918 were those at the various AFP. There is no record of any Armee or Kreigsmarine Jagdstaffel being re-equipped with the Fok.D.VIII. Had the been re-engined with the 145 Ps Oberusel UR.III or the 160 Ps Goebel Goe.III there may have been interest, but the Fokker D.VIII cantilever wing was suffering from a lack of confidence by the Front Pilots.
Blue skies,
Dan-San

#22 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 01 March 2012 - 21:12

While it is a beautiful plane, there are a few reasons I wouldn't like to see this soon:

1) 18 Built, 13 commissioned during the war

2) Flown only by two squadrons (Rfa 500 and Rfa 501)

3) In 8 months, Rfa 501 conducted only 11 raids on England

4) None shot down in combat over Britain, 4 shot down total, at least one by AA

#23 Panthera

Panthera

Posted 01 March 2012 - 22:29

"Eighteen R.VIs were built serialled 'R25' to 'R39' and 'R52' to 'R54' all except 'R30', which was used exclusively as a supercharged engine test-bed, saw service in the Luftstreitkräfte with Rfa500 and Rfa 501 on the western front stationed in the Ghent area. Air raids on England by R.VIs began on 17 September 1917.

Many air raids attributed to Gotha bombers were, in fact, carried out by Zeppelin-Staaken R.VI or R.XIV bombers, with direct hits on the Royal Hospital Chelsea with the first 1,000kg bomb dropped on England, on 16/17th February 1918. St Pancras Station was attacked the next night. During the campaign from 18 December 1917 to 20 May 1918 the R.VIs of Rfa501 made eleven raids dropping 27,190kg (28tons) of bombs. Eighteen built"

28 tons of bombs over England, that's quite a bit.

Nonetheless, since we already have other even more rare aircraft ingame I believe this would be a great addition, esp. considering that it was a type which was in regular service with the Luftstreitkräfte for quite some time and was involved in some of the most notable air raids of the war.

#24 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 01 March 2012 - 22:39

I don't like that the DVIII was ever introduced either, waste of resources. Could have made a DH4 in the time it took to make an extremely obscure aircraft that may or may not have seen combat. :P

I remember Jason saying another fundamental limitation to the engine ROF uses is that enclosed cockpits are at the moment impossible.

#25 SirFreddie

SirFreddie

Posted 01 March 2012 - 22:57

No, the Pfalz E.I had wing warping and definitely not the 'comma'-shaped rudder, but rather a 'fishtail' one:

I agree, I worried about the wing warping after posting… but it was closer than an unknown 'baby' Fokker EIII … The fuselage has to be Morane-saulnier in design though surely?.

Fokker V17 prototype looks damn close (No frame above the cockpit for wing warping) except the tail (elevators?) look wrong :(

It looks cute and fun (and Morane/Fokker/Pfalz!!!)… Like Jorris I can't wait to find out what it is :)

#26 Panthera

Panthera

Posted 01 March 2012 - 23:00

I don't like that the DVIII was ever introduced either, waste of resources. Could have made a DH4 in the time it took to make an extremely obscure aircraft that may or may not have seen combat. :P

I think it's great that we have the DVIII to fly around in, the more WW1 aircraft we have to fly around in the merrier IMO. And the DVIII certainly did see action, albeit not a whole lot.

I remember Jason saying another fundamental limitation to the engine ROF uses is that enclosed cockpits are at the moment impossible.

That sounds abit strange, implausable infact, seeing as it is simply a graphics issue.

#27 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 01 March 2012 - 23:30

I agree, I worried about the wing warping after posting… but it was closer than an unknown 'baby' Fokker EIII … The fuselage has to be Morane-saulnier in design though surely?.

Fokker V17 prototype looks damn close (No frame above the cockpit for wing warping) except the tail (elevators?) look wrong :(

It looks cute and fun (and Morane/Fokker/Pfalz!!!)… Like Jorris I can't wait to find out what it is :)

Naw, the V.17 has the fuselage end in a vertical knife-edge and this plane has it end in a horizontal knife-edge. Also, the wings are entirely different. The V.17 is from the Platz era and this little monoplane definitely isn't.

#28 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:15

I think it's great that we have the DVIII to fly around in, the more WW1 aircraft we have to fly around in the merrier IMO. And the DVIII certainly did see action, albeit not a whole lot.

I suppose, but the time it took to develop the DVIII could have been directed to developing a plane which was widely used in WWI. That seemed like a strange decision to me, but selling a unique plane which flies like a bat-outta-hell is obviously pretty good for sales and enticing new users.

#29 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:40

It's an experimental monoplane designed bu Hergt:

http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contributions/McBrideBill/10485.htm

http://flyingmachines.ru/Site2/Crafts/Craft29075.htm

#30 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:22

That's a good guess Jorri but if you look at the men standing next to the plane in the photo on the first page and compare their size with the men standing around the plane in the second link you posted, you'll see that the latter is a much larger aircraft.

#31 Panthera

Panthera

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:18

The first link shows the correct aircraft, the experimental Hergt monoplane, the last link is of another but related Hergt aircraft the NFW E.I & II. The main difference being different size wings and the notable spoked landings wheels.

#32 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 02 March 2012 - 13:15

That sounds abit strange, implausable infact, seeing as it is simply a graphics issue.

Well I do not know why but I assume it could have something to do with using flares, scarves, and pistols, and sound would need to be redone. Currently, if you yaw using the rudder the sound of the wind changes, also if you stick your head out of the cockpit the sounds changes, plus the sound of flying in an enclosed cockpit is totally different from flying in a closed one. I assume it is mostly a sound issue, but I have no real idea.

8-)

#33 Sylvis

Sylvis

Posted 02 March 2012 - 13:46

Well I do not know why but I assume it could have something to do with using flares, scarves, and pistols, and sound would need to be redone. Currently, if you yaw using the rudder the sound of the wind changes, also if you stick your head out of the cockpit the sounds changes, plus the sound of flying in an enclosed cockpit is totally different from flying in a closed one. I assume it is mostly a sound issue, but I have no real idea.

8-)

But what if we promise to fly with open windows like this guys? Pleeeease? :D

#34 Panthera

Panthera

Posted 02 March 2012 - 18:07

8-)

I'm confident it is possible, don't see any way it couldn't be :)

It would ofcourse demand some different sounds for that particular aircraft, but the engine is easily capable of that, and it is nothing compared to the amount of work there would need to be carried out modelling the exterior & interior of the aircraft as-well as the FM.

As for the flare gun & pistol, it's as simple as removing it as an option for the Staaken pilot(s) - or make it so you can only shoot it out an open window.

#35 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 02 March 2012 - 19:58

The first link shows the correct aircraft, the experimental Hergt monoplane, the last link is of another but related Hergt aircraft the NFW E.I & II. The main difference being different size wings and the notable spoked landings wheels.

Yes, you are correct. Give this man a free monkey.

#36 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:24

yeay, awesome plane. I think Alexander Baumann was one of its designers. He was involved in lots of other nice big birds, too. It was even put on floats (hint hint…)
;=)

there is an impressive 1:6 model of it in the zeppelin museum

Attached Files

• Attached File  zep.jpg   23.01KB   210 downloads

#37 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:47

It was even put on floats (hint hint…)
;=)

Once, and it crashed. :lol: :lol:

#38 Bf-110

Bf-110

Posted 03 March 2012 - 18:23

I don't really believe closed cockpits will be an issue.
Seaplanes were once considered impossible,but look now.Also,I guess that Felixtowe is the one that haves closed cockpit,isn't it?

#39 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 03 March 2012 - 18:35

Seaplanes were once considered impossible,but look now.Also,I guess that Felixtowe is the one that haves closed cockpit,isn't it?

Not to my knowlege, While it is semi-enclosed around the sides, the top is open as seen in the below pic.

Attached Files

#40 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 03 March 2012 - 19:52

It was even put on floats (hint hint…)
;=)

Once, and it crashed. :lol: :lol:

nope, after the nr.1432 was tested in Warnemünde, further planes designated as "Type L" were ordered (assigned marine Numbers 8301 to 8306) put probably only 2 of the 6 additional planes were delivered before the war ended. At least one flew tourists after the war.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users